Feed The Monkey | Jailbreak Brewing Company

Alströms:

Reviews by Hearneator:
3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

4.31/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I recently visited my aunt & uncle in DC and came home with some nice CANs in furtherance of The CANQuest (tm). She once took my brother & I to the National Zoo, but feeding any animal anything was verboten! For the edification of squares, the phrase, "Feed the Monkey" is commonly used among opiate-based drug abusers, like heroin addicts (especially), to refer to getting a fix to get the monkey off of their back. A former colleague & I referred to one another as "Monkey" because our supervisors treated us like trained monkeys, there to do their bidding at every whim, seemingly just for their entertainment. Accompanying music by The Dickies - "You Drive Me Ape (You Big Gorilla) & Theme from The Banana Splits Show" & BowWowWow - "See Jungle (Jungle Boy) & Go Wild In the Country" + G&R - "Welcome to the Jungle".

From the CAN: "Wheat Ale brewed with Bananas and Orange Zest with Orange Juice Added".

Man, I'm really starting to jones! I CAN't wait another seCANd to CANduct a Crack! & Glug! I decided to go apes**t and invert the CAN. I was met with a stunning two fingers of puffy, bone-white head that looked like somebody sprayed marshmallow Fluf atop my beer. Even better was the Gorilla Glue-sticky lacing that acCANpanied its departure. Hey, how did get naked in my kitchen, CANcing around like a madCAN?!? I just want to play with my Monkey! The beer's color was a cloudy Pale-Straw (SRM = 1 - 2) & I laid down in the straw that seems to have been strewn on my kitchen floor while I was swinging from the rafters. Oooh, now somebody's banging on the window! Who called the cops? This is a private monkey party! Mouthfeel was as soft and silky as a perfectly-ripe banana. A CANana! Put a beer inside an aluminum cylinder inside a banana peel! How apeeling! Equally apeeling was the taste of this beer. I usually hate Hefeweizens that are banana-forward in terms of their esters and I figured this to be another of those. Wrong! Sure, banana was big, but clove was right up there & with the added orange juice & zest, I was groovin'! Man, this was everything and more! I haven't been this happy with a Hefeweizen since ... well, never. I'm going apes**t over this, but the pigs busted the door down & now they're putting me in an I-Love-Me Jacket. Back to the Rubber Room I go, but not before the finish. Finish was dry, amazing for a Hefeweizen! It had a definite clove spiciness, but when coupled with the orange flavors, the bananas took a back seat. I'm bananas for this one! And in a CAN ...

3.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Can dated 6/29:
Pours like a cloudy grapefruit juice - a pale pale yellow, and quite a bit more than just hazy. Head formation is solid, lacing is streaks and streams and spots.

Nose is not in your face, but has a decent showing of the wheat and the banana phenolics of the yeast. An impression of Cheerios with bananas comes to mind (I know it's a wheat, not oat, beer - but this is my impression). There's a hint of something that could be a light tangy tartness - wine grape or apple rind, perhaps; it's so light but balances the banana sweetness nicely.

Taste shows that mild tangy tartness a little more - I'd lean more apple that grape. (Note - I just read brewed with oranges, and it doesn't quite come across as such, but I am guessing this is what I am perceiving). It's not the main component, but again it acts as a counter to the wheat and banana of a typical Hefe. The feel is nice, but seems a little light for the cloudiness (mental game here). The flavors are not overpowering, nicely nuanced and balanced.

I did enjoy this, and have bypassed it numerous times in the past (though I am thinking I had it at some point). I think this is a good beer to have around for anyone that might want a craft beer - including me.

4.18/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had on tap. Pours hazy, light yellow in color with 1/3 inch head. Taste is orange, banana, and wheat. Makes for a nice summery drink. Light and tasty sipper.

4.02/5  rDev +10.4%

3.78/5  rDev +3.8%

Had it out of a can. Very banana/fruit heavy hefeweizen. The appearance was a cloudy golden that looked good in the glass. Strong banana on the nose with some pepper and citrus. Taste is sweet, heavy on banana and orange juice with little bitterness and some spiciness. It had a surprising amount of body and good mouth feel. Overall, this was a drinkable beer and would be especially good on a hot summer day, but not something I would go to regularly.

3.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.54/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.15/5  rDev +14%

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.93/5  rDev +8%

3.61/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a cloudy, bright yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of bananas, wheat. Taste is bananas, pepper, some oranges and wheat, very easy drinking. Feels medium/full bodied in the mouth and overall is a refreshing summertime beer.

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%

4.41/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Love Jailbreak, this beer was no exception.

3.21/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3/8/17 (Washington D.C. - The Hamilton). 16 oz draft pour into pint glass. Hazy golden color with white cloudy head. Thin white lacing, wheat and lemon aroma. Taste light wheat and lemon, clean and crisp. Watery texture, easy drinking. OK offering.

4.11/5  rDev +12.9%

Great Hefenweizen. I got a slight bubble gum flavor with bananas. Light and refreshing.

3.66/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

4.23/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

On-tap at their tasting room in Laurel, MD. Nice taste, the orange really comes through with a nice head. Smell was a bit subdued compared to the taste, but is a good predictor of the flavor. Mouthfeel felt a little too light to me, but otherwise great beer. Definitely try this one.

4.43/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.72/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +3%