Tropicália | Creature Comforts

Creature Comforts
Georgia, United States
creaturecomfortsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

A balanced, soft, and juicy IPA. Ripe passion fruit and citrus hop aroma lead to a full, fruit-forward hop flavor that washes over the palate, ending with subtle bitterness. Some folks say they don’t like hoppy beers, and to that we say that hops do not equal bitterness. Hops offer a whole world of flavors, not just bitterness. In Tropicália, they exude a luscious fruit journey your palate can enjoy over and over without fatigue.

Added by compton on 04-21-2014

#288

Ratings: 1,189 |  Reviews: 196
Reviews by Jshari223:
4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

This is an outstanding beer for summer. I really can't think of a better light but tasty beer currently available. This has the perfect balance that can stand alone or with BBQ. A real treasure that should not be missed.

4.71/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

There really should be a new class of beers based upon the new hop flavor profiles that are hitting the market. Ten years ago, it was hard to beat a Sweetwater IPA, Hopslam, or Double Trouble for IPA's available in the SE. Now that the available hops have evolved, so has the beer. Tropicalia is one of the best "new-school" IPA's that I have ever had. It's full of the tropical AROMAS and flavors that I want in my everyday beer without the palate crushing bitterness of the older IPA offerings . Tropicalia has that sweet, southern malt backbone that which works perfectly for my palate. It tastes better than my favorite "Session IPA's", my everyday beers, along WITH the 2 abv points which I REALLY enjoy. I don't mind paying 11.99 for All Day IPA. but if Tropicalia were available to me everyday at 6.6% and 10.99 per six pack, I may never drink another beer ever again, ever. This is the best packaged IPA in the SE , hands down. I even prefer it to all of the renowned IPA's in the NE and West Coast because of the sweet, JUICY, crushable, balanced, tropical goodness that is Tropicalia.

4.91/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fantastic beer. It will be famous.

4.53/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to my buddy Chris for bringing me a six-pack!

Pours golden in color with a tight white head that reduces to a layer in my tulip glass.

Fantastic aroma of tropical fruit: guava, pineapple, grapefruit.

The flavor is also tropical with flavors of guava and pineapple mixing with herbal hop notes and a hint of malt sweetness.

A tropical beer from Georgia? Believe it. This is a great beer. It reminds me of the excellent Cigar City Jai Alai. If you like juicy IPAs, you have to try this one.

4.6/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can into an oversized wine glass

A-pours a burnt Amber with orange hues, soapy inch of head that dissolves and turns into a small coating.

S- outrageous citrus,orange pith/zest, papaya, pineapple, pine resin,

T- follows the smell but not as strongly, turns into a balanced beer where the tropical notes are balanced well with some sweetness from the malt bill, tastes sticky sweet which backs up the fruitiness very nicely

M- medium bodied, almost syrupy mouth feel, very very nice bitterness, crisp ending, maybe the most drinkable IPA I've ever had.

O- this place knows what they are doing. They made a killer IPA with one of the most unique mouth feels I've ever had. Infinitely drinkable seek it out.

4.01/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. can poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Hazy orange body and a nice white head. A few bubbles remain with a thick collar.

Smell - Orange and grapefruit. Cracker malt. Some slightly toastier aromas too.

Taste - Nice orange hop flavor. Transitions into a sweet pale malt that turns to lightly toasty. Very mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Crisp. Well carbonated. Medium body.

Overall - Simple and excellent beer. Very well made.

4.59/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I made a special stop in Atlanta on my way home from spring break to pick up this beer. I am very excited to give it a try.

Nearly two inches of light tan head is achieved by a strong pour. Head is fluffy and pillow like and has nice retention. Body is a honey gold amber and rich with tone.

Nose is attractive and full of wonderful scents. Fresh squeezed citrus and citrus rind is all over. Really very juicy in terms of smell. Gets the taste buds screaming for the first sip.

Lush and creamy on the tongue as you take the first sip. I am immediately taken by how easy to drink this IPA is. Citrus is the main player in the flavor profile of this beer. Hop resins are evident especially on the finish.

Mouthfeel is just so pleasant and beckoning of the next sip. This is a perfect IPA to pair with many food dishes. Feel does dry considerable as you continue to drink. This is a overall wonderful brew.

4.85/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the best IPA's I've ever had. I'd put this up there with the very best.

3.06/5  rDev -30.3%

Deep gold pour from 12oz can; thick, tight white head; good lace and carbonation. Dry hop pellet and lemon nose and flavor. Dry hop flavor is cloying. Medium lite mouthfeel/ my tongue tastes rusty...unfortunate hop pellet aftertaste...

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Can to snifter. Thanks brentlepping.

A. Rich copper color with a fine bubble egg shell head that fades to a similar rim. A nice looking beer, not anything out of the ordinary.

S. Juicy and dank. This indicates a very light malts presence, but tons of juicy hops take the front seat. I really like the aroma of this beer, very citrusy and yes - topical.

T. The nose goes right into the taste. A minimal malt backbone with lots of room for strong hop flavors and a low bitterness. Notes: tropical fruit, pineapple, mangoes, grapefruit rind, orange zest, and a little cat piss. The malt backbone, or lack there of reminds me of Pliney - hops and water.

M. Smooth, crisp, moderate body, high carbonation - about everything you can ask for in an IPA.

O. I admittedly had not heard of this before I tried it and I was blown away. I had no expectations, but this would have exceeded them. This is what I really think IPAs should strive for: good clarity, low malt back bone, and tons of juicy hops. Hops and water brah.

4.65/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

How exciting! Two great beer people, Ray & Cornelia (or vice versa), know of The CANQuest (tm) & routinely send me beers housed in aluminum cylinders as a result. I kid you not, it pays to advertise! I always look forward to the arrival of one of their packages and this was a VERY pleasant surprise. Merci beaucoup!

From the CAN: "Ripe & Juicy[,]Aromatic[,]Balanced"; "Drink[;]Crush[;]Recycle".

I would be foursquare behind that last, were it not for Jeff Lebo/Jefferson Pepper of the House of CANs in York County, PA. He has begged me not to crush any more CANs and I have acceded to his wishes since he wants to include mine in his CANlection. Word has it that a wing is being added in my name to house my CANtributions!

I really wanted to Crack! this open between 13 and 15 February so that I CAN drink a Tropicalia during Lupercalia, but the rotation is beginning to move & this was the appointed time. I CANducted a moderate Glug, which raised a brief, fizzy finger of tawny head before falling away to wisps. The nose was total fruit - mango, tangerine, CANteloupe, papaya & honeydew! OMFG! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was like a tropical fruit smoothie with everything just blended together and handed across the counter without explanation, apology or even reason. Just 'cause they CAN! It was like something from a street vendor in Puerto Rico or the Philippines. Although, they would often "spice' it up with some rum, but this was "unadorned" as we all knew how & what to order. Finish was semi-dry and so beautifully fruity that I may try to get another CAN to help celebrate Lupercalia!

4.6/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Fruity IPA. Nice aroma and super smooth going down.

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

pours a slightly hazy, dark orange with a thin head that disappears within a minute. nose; big papaya, orange zest & rind, & citrus hops. taste; sweet malt, citrus hops, orange rind, papaya, melon, & a very light onion/garlic spice on the end. dominant & juicy papaya in the nose and taste. as others have said, it does have almost orange juice character that finishes very dryly. medium carbonation & mouthfeel. extremely well-balanced & hoppy. a winner. =)

4.51/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer is every bit as tropical, dank and balanced as most of the New England beers that are getting all the hype.

Starts with an amazing nose full of grapefruit, orange juice and a variety of tropical scents. Taste follows suit with an array of fruit with a juicy, medium mouthfeel. Finish is slightly bitter and leaves you wanting more.

Amazingly crushable and delicious.

A+ from Creature Comforts.

4.78/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very citrus forward IPA. The aroma is awesome and the taste is even better. My go to IPA from now on. So glad it is distributed in Atlanta now. Serious contender for the best IPA I have had.

Best IPA in the south.

4.76/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The beer comes in a slightly hazy strawberry reddish amber.

The aroma is huge of blood orange, candy tropical fruit, passionfruit, mango, peach, along with some breadiness and dank quality.

The beer first off offers this wonderful bready and chewy quality up front with less fruit, but still some tropical and citrus notes. Then onto some piney dankness, grapefruit bitterness, lots of drying. Then the beer just flies off the palate, which makes it so darn drinkable.

A perfect way to use caramel and bready sweetness in an IPA.

4.31/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Taking their foot off of the bitter throttle just a bit and allowing the aroma and flavor of hops to shine, The brewers at Creature Comforts are out to show folks who don't think that they like IPA that there's an IPA for them.

Tropicália immediately begins to shower the room with its bright and luscious perfume at the onset of the pour- leading with a tropical medley that takes the senses to fruit punch and citrus, the ale's turbulence allows for a billowing creamy column to float above a hazy bronzen amber hue. Its supple sweetness caresses the tongue with gently rolling caramel, honey and floral honeysuckle.

As the taste develops, the hops slowly overtake the malts and round the flavors into a blend of pineapple, mango, apricot and melon with the bitter underpinnings of pink grapefruit, and the fresh zests of lemon, lime and tangerine. Softly herbaceous, hints of torn pinecone and chive frame a grassy finish that's off of the normal throat-gripping bitterness that's expected from these hop bombs.

Medium-bodied and full of juicy dryness, the beer's creamy substrate keeps the beer feeling fluffy but arid. High in its drinkability, the beer's cautious bitterness keeps it friendly and fruity but isn't able to take full advantage of the drying capability that stronger bittering hops can provide. Its bittersweet finish trails with those earthy chive and citrus peels that flutters in aftertaste.

This is my go to IPA, dank, tropical, delicious.

I get mango and guava on the nose, sweet tropical fruit and balancing bitterness on the palate. Quaffable and satisfying.

3.9/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A bit too watery. Decent nose but the flavors arent there.

4.67/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This might be one of the best IPA's I've ever had! Super fruity and tropical hop flavors dominate the flavor. I love this beer!!!

4.84/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I usually stray away from the kind of "lighter, citrus forward" IPA's but this one changed my mind. It's a perfect beer just outside of the session IPAs for day drinking in the sun and being able to still howl at the moon at night. I want one right now...

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a top 5 IPA for me. Absolutely outstanding...

4.99/5  rDev +13.7%

Simply one of the best, if not the best, IPAs in the country. Incredible smell of tropical fruit upon opening it that fills the room and the taste follows closely. Remarkably drinkable. This deserves every accolade it receives down the road and I expect this to be near the top of the list very soon.

REVISION: just had this on tap at the brewery today. Had to revise my rating upward even further. Out of all the beers I've tried, this is as close to a perfect 5 as I've ever had. Just an incredible beer in all aspects. Haven't had any of the Hill Farmstead or The Alchemist brews but I honestly can't believe they'd be any better than this.

Tropicália from Creature Comforts