Total Eclipse Black Ale | Hoppy Brewing Co.

Total Eclipse Black AleTotal Eclipse Black Ale

Liked:
3.51/5
Alströms:

3.35/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This may have been the first true black ale I ever had. Has the black appearance, consistency and viscosity like a schwarzbier, 3/4" brown head. Hopping in the nose is apparent, also like a schwarzbier.

Taste is all over the place, you get the dark roasted notes producing a coffee like feel, the bitter hops, smoke, dark fruit. Wow. Continually remains relatively dry and highly carbonated throughout.

Everything they make is always in the bomber format, but it isn't as big of a bummer as most breweries, these are usually kept in the $4-5 range.

3.82/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2.97/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Had this on tap at the brewery.

L: dark with great lacing.

S: meh. Not much there.

T: malty with chocolate at the end. Slight hop character. Not bad but nothing to praise either.

F: it reminds me of a porter with its look and taste but doesn't have that smooth feel.

O: average beer. I do not think I would buy it except while I was at the brewery.

4.59/5  rDev +30.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.92/5  rDev +11.7%

3.37/5  rDev -4%

1.5/5  rDev -57.3%

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

4.06/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Black with a medium brown head.

S: Chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, plum and other dark fruits in the nose.

T: Chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, really good.

M: Smoothish, and full bodied.

O: Tasty, if a bit boring. Recommended if you can find it. I think it's their best beer, but don't be fooled by the brewery's name. Their beer's are seldom very hoppy.

2.59/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Of all the beers I have had in my life, I cannot remember having one that is so foamy! I was afraid to set the bottle down because every time I did, foam right out the top! Take a drink? Foam! Now, there are a few redeeming qualities about this brew...it does have a nice appearance of dark black molasses, but it tastes of burnt wood. The mouth feel is also going to be rated low by me as well for the unacceptable amount of foam I encountered in this beer. I even let it sit for some time thinking maybe I inadvertently shook it up, but I do not believe that to be the case. When I lived in the Sacramento area I used to frequent the Hoppy Brewery and remember it being a bit run down and I made a trip to Sacramento recently and brought back 2 cases of Hoppy brews. Gotta say I was disappointed. Oh well, next up?

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

4.35/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 oz bomber ($4.49 at BevMo) into a pint glass.

Appearance: The head rushes up. The initial pour was about 20% beer and 80% head, although it settled down pretty quickly and I was able to top it off to a reasonable amount.

Smell: Heavy citrus, with some bitter cocoa coming through.

Taste: Like it smells, and that's a good thing. Citrus and hops first, then cocoa and hops, followed by toffee and hops, and then just hops. But it's interesting how the hops come back strong with each layer. Consequently a bitter aftertaste with some citrus.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant. Not too thin, not too thick, but it coats your mouth and stayed with me. Satisfied.

Overall: I'm not sure whether this is supposed to be a Black IPA or a Stout. It simply says "Black Ale." But whatever it is, it's a darn good beer. It pushes the bitterness level for a stout, and pushes the mouthfeel for an IPA. Well done, Hoppy.

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

1.5/5  rDev -57.3%

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

Total Eclipse Black Ale from Hoppy Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 36.4% out of 100 with 99 ratings