Victory Helles Lager | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

good
good
Read the review
Victory Helles LagerVictory Helles Lager

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Formerly Victory Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

4.4/5  rDev +21.9%

This was a big change from all my previous Victory experiences-Mild hopping! This is an excellent lager. It pours a nice deep golden color with a thin white head which dissipates fairly quickly and leaves no lace. The aroma is clean and fruity, with bread-like overtones. The taste is malty and smooth, with enough hops to clean the palate. The finish is very clean, with just a hint of a fruity aftertaste. I do believe I could drink these frequently (read "pound"). While different than many of the Victory beers I have tried, it is truly excellent. A great Dortmunder.

4.39/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Finally got this down here in TX! 12 oz bottle with a best by date of Nov 28 2011. Pours a fairly clear, light gold color with a decent cap of white head. Retention and lacing are both average.

Nose is saltine crackers and a light, citric-flesh fruit. I thought I would find more graininess and grassy hops, but Victory has beat a different drum once again.

Taste is light and crisp with some biscuit grain and a fair amount of bright hops...both flavoring and bittering. I like this beer quite a bit, not necessarily a classic helles, but damn is it refreshing and tasty. I would have no problem finishing off a sixer of this in a day. Tasty, clean and interesting...just what I want in a nice lager. Excellent beer, I see a repeat purchase in my very near future.

4.35/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Wonderfully drinkable, this brew is clean and satisfying -- noble hops perfectly balancing a bready, if momentarily grainy, malt base -- and a reminder of how fantastic a well-crafted lager can be. IPA drinkers, you're missing out!

4.35/5  rDev +20.5%

On tap at the brewpub. Pours a clear light gold with a white head. Nose is fairly mild ,with a pleasant fresh grain and a light hop note. Mouth is snappy, bright, super fresh grain and a kiss of sweet malt. A touch grassy in its hop element. This was one I overlooked for awhile but it's just fantastic. Understated, extraordinarily well balanced. Of course criminally underrated. One of the best lagers I've ever had, up there with Victory's best pilsners. They are masters with this style.

4.32/5  rDev +19.7%

4.32/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle, enjoy by Jan 3 2012.

Slight hazy, gold-straw color. Lots of bubble rising up. Thin head.

Aroma is sweet grain, hay, touch of spicy hops.

The flavor starts off sweet grains, slight spicy hops towards the end. Some biscuity, honey, lemony. Body is light, very crisp. Medium carbonation. Dry finish and aftertaste.

4.3/5  rDev +19.1%

Going over some notes from the other night I got this:
A: Golden, visible carbonation, white head quick disappears.

S: Malty goodness with a citrusy hops balance

T: Sweet nutty with light citrus behind that, good balance.

M: Creamy, drying finish with a light hops aftertaste.

D: Oh yeah, this is a good one.

4.3/5  rDev +19.1%

A: Pale golden yellow. Lots of bubbles. 2 fingers of white head that sticks around for a short while and leaves dots of lacing behind.
S: Light malts and some citrus/grassy hops.
T: Light malt and citrus hops again. lemon zest, and biscuit.
F: Light mouthfeel. Crisp. Good carbonation.
O: Really good lager. Too bad craft breweries don't put out more examples of these beers.

4.28/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Updated rating 4.28/5;
Updated review on 1/18/2016:

64 oz growler from BottleCo in North Bergen, NJ.

I last had this beer about 9 & 1/2 years ago and clearly something was different. Did I get a bad batch in 2006? Has Victory changed their recipe? Or was I too early into my journey to appreciate the subtle intricacies of a skillfully crafted lager? My bet is on the latter. Sweet, malty aroma of freshly cracked grain with a touch of spice from the hops. Clean, malty, smooth flavor with controlled bitterness and sweetness. It's clear this was a fresh sample with the rich malts singing all the way through the beer. I finished my growler over two sittings, but could have easily polished it off in a day. I don't think I was capable of recognizing what I had my hands on almost a decade ago. This is great drinking!

-----

Previous rating 2.37/5;
Previous review from 8/29/2006:

This beer was completely not what I expected. I had been hoping for a nice malty lager with some serious flavor. What I got was a macro lager on steroids.

Pours a straw yellow color with a very small head and not much retention at all. I would have had a hard time distinguishing it side-by-side from a Bud. The aroma was not very pleasing at all. It didn't make me shy away from the beer, there just wasn't anything to talk about.

Very bland taste. Where are the malts? Where are the hops? Something is missing here for sure.

As critical as I'm being about this beer, it wasn't undrinkable. There just wasn't anything unique or exciting about it. You could have put it side by side with any other macro lager and I would have been hard pressed to tell the two apart. I actually put down a sixer of HopDevil and bought this instead. I won't be making that mistake again.

4.27/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

Smells pretty malty...biscuity....pretty tame.

The thing that defines this beer is how NOT in your face it is. The body is a somewhat sweet, grainy, but restrained malt. This holds for a decent while before the very tame hop bitterness makes itself known in the finish. There's also some biscuity notes on the finish as well. It's definitely a beer I'd recommend for people who are looking for a easy drinking beer year-round....while not incredibly complex, it's definitely drinkable.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

02/20/13 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. So this is what an all malt taste like. Nice dry finish. Leaves a mild aftertaste that is not cloying. Prob'ly a good summer session beer with a push @ 5.9 ABV.

04/13/12 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. All I ask from a beer. Nothing more, nothing less. Bring it!

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

Pours a radiant clear yellow, with a small head and streamers of carbonation. The aroma is powerful - you can smell this beer coming. It is bready and sweet with a nice sting of hop bitterness. The flavor is a little less powerful, but still delicious - bready, lemony with that distinctive Victory Brewing hop bitterness on the finish. The mouthfeel is thin and pleasant. This is an eminently drinkable beer

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

Rated within style, this is easily one of the best lagers I have ever had!

Poured from a really fresh keg at a friend's party, I found this to be sweet, creamy, and refreshing. Much better than the bottled version, that I had prior to my days on BA.

Worth checking out if you can get this fresh.

Victory Helles Lager from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown