Victory Helles Lager | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Formerly Victory Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

3.6

4.61/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

New to craft beers, but this one would be a regular IF I could get better access to it. Local place in Nashville (Craft Brewed) told me about it. Very good beer for a beginner that is NOT into all the hops and malts. Drinkable, and tasty. Give it a try if you are like me.

4.53/5  rDev +26.5%

A: Straw-colored and crystal clear, This lager produces a frothy egg-white head capping off the lazy bubbles floating from the bottom of my pint. I would have liked to see some more vigorous lacing, but everything else is so spot-on that I can still justify the 4.

S: This is already seeming more like a German Pils than a Helles, not that there's a world of difference, and, as such, I'm not expecting too powerful of a bouquet. The nose is dominated by cereal grains and balanced out by a touch of spicy hops. The bouquet is a touch muted though, even for a pils.

T: The taste is easily the brew's best quality; sharp, crisp hops accentuate the delightfully dry body perfectly to create a remarkably refreshing brew with a certain subtlety that is seldom seen in the states.

M: V-Lager is very light and bubbly. Exactly to style.

D: This is one of the finest lagers available on US soil. I'm sure many of Victory's devout followers will be upset by the restrained hopping of this one, but I am very pleased that the brewers risked popularity in order to put out a more traditional product. Keep up the good work Victory!

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

Victory Brewing Company has an excellent reputation of brewing some of the highest quality beer not only in the United States, but in the world. Beers like Storm King, and Prima Pils are often refered to as the best in their classes. Let it be known, they have yet another beer to join the ranks of these greats.
Victory Lager.
Victory Lageer isn't a new beer, in fact, it's been around for quite some time. It just so happens, I'm new to it.
Pouring a clear golden yellow with a light to moderate head, I am looking at what can almost be called the perfect example of a lager. Clean, clear and light in colour. Just what should be expected from one of the greatest breweries in the world.
The aroma was also clean. A malty sweetness mixed wonderfully with grassy overtones and floral undertones.
The taste perfectly mimiced the smell. Grassy hop taste and sweet malts.
I know what I like. This is a beer that should define the lager. Clean, crisp and clear.
Nice job, Victory.

Wish

4.48/5  rDev +25.1%

Bottle into pint glass.

Crystal clear, bright shining light.

Very clean beery nose.

It's all in there and it is well balanced.

Good!

Clean and crisp.

This is a wonderful beer. Quality with no pretense. Impossible not to find enjoyable. Another homerun for Victory.

4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

I purchased this beer at Market Cross Pub in Carlisle, PA.

The color of the beer was beautiful and inviting.

The smell was very aromatic

The taste was relentless in that it was full of flavor.

I could sit and drink a six pack of this in the evening and be quite content. A very good beer and i recommend for everyone!

4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

Pours a clear golden with a high white head. The smell robust yet crisp grain, with some herbal and floral notes. The taste is clean malt, crisp hops, sweet grainy notes, some mineral tang. It's sharply carbonated, slightly viscous. All in all an excellent Helles, easy to drink and very satisfying.

4.45/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.4/5  rDev +22.9%

Poured into a Pilsner glass.

A: Pale, pale yellow. No trace of chill haze. Fluffy white head billows above the rim of the glass and clings lace-like to the inside of the glass after receding. A beautiful, sparkling beer.

S: Spicy hops, hint of grain, and touch of sulfur. Smell is light and enticing.

T: So smooth and clean! Soft sweetness of malt and herbal, spicy hops predominate with low hop bitterness in finish. Very well balanced. Malt, hoppiness, and bitterness are all soft and clean. No harshness.

M: Fine carbonation and light body. Not watery, but I've had other helles lagers with a little more presence.

D: Supremely drinkable. Refreshing, balanced, and clean. Overall a great beer.

4.4/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Best by date of Nov. 22, 2010

pours an extremely pale yellow with good carbonation and not much of any head.
Light malts and hoppiness. Grassy and spicey with some lemon.
Very flavorful lager here. Lots of sweet grassiness. Some spice and lemon zest. Very nice and balanced.
Light bodied and extremely sessionable. Crisp clean and super easy to drink.
Some times I tend to forget about lagers and more sessionable "simple" beers. This is probably the best lager I've ever had. Might be a new summer go to beer. If only BMC could make a lager with this much flavor.

4.4/5  rDev +22.9%

This was a big change from all my previous Victory experiences-Mild hopping! This is an excellent lager. It pours a nice deep golden color with a thin white head which dissipates fairly quickly and leaves no lace. The aroma is clean and fruity, with bread-like overtones. The taste is malty and smooth, with enough hops to clean the palate. The finish is very clean, with just a hint of a fruity aftertaste. I do believe I could drink these frequently (read "pound"). While different than many of the Victory beers I have tried, it is truly excellent. A great Dortmunder.

4.39/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Finally got this down here in TX! 12 oz bottle with a best by date of Nov 28 2011. Pours a fairly clear, light gold color with a decent cap of white head. Retention and lacing are both average.

Nose is saltine crackers and a light, citric-flesh fruit. I thought I would find more graininess and grassy hops, but Victory has beat a different drum once again.

Taste is light and crisp with some biscuit grain and a fair amount of bright hops...both flavoring and bittering. I like this beer quite a bit, not necessarily a classic helles, but damn is it refreshing and tasty. I would have no problem finishing off a sixer of this in a day. Tasty, clean and interesting...just what I want in a nice lager. Excellent beer, I see a repeat purchase in my very near future.

4.35/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Wonderfully drinkable, this brew is clean and satisfying -- noble hops perfectly balancing a bready, if momentarily grainy, malt base -- and a reminder of how fantastic a well-crafted lager can be. IPA drinkers, you're missing out!

4.35/5  rDev +21.5%

On tap at the brewpub. Pours a clear light gold with a white head. Nose is fairly mild ,with a pleasant fresh grain and a light hop note. Mouth is snappy, bright, super fresh grain and a kiss of sweet malt. A touch grassy in its hop element. This was one I overlooked for awhile but it's just fantastic. Understated, extraordinarily well balanced. Of course criminally underrated. One of the best lagers I've ever had, up there with Victory's best pilsners. They are masters with this style.

4.32/5  rDev +20.7%

4.32/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle, enjoy by Jan 3 2012.

Slight hazy, gold-straw color. Lots of bubble rising up. Thin head.

Aroma is sweet grain, hay, touch of spicy hops.

The flavor starts off sweet grains, slight spicy hops towards the end. Some biscuity, honey, lemony. Body is light, very crisp. Medium carbonation. Dry finish and aftertaste.

4.3/5  rDev +20.1%

Going over some notes from the other night I got this:
A: Golden, visible carbonation, white head quick disappears.

S: Malty goodness with a citrusy hops balance

T: Sweet nutty with light citrus behind that, good balance.

M: Creamy, drying finish with a light hops aftertaste.

D: Oh yeah, this is a good one.

4.3/5  rDev +20.1%

A: Pale golden yellow. Lots of bubbles. 2 fingers of white head that sticks around for a short while and leaves dots of lacing behind.
S: Light malts and some citrus/grassy hops.
T: Light malt and citrus hops again. lemon zest, and biscuit.
F: Light mouthfeel. Crisp. Good carbonation.
O: Really good lager. Too bad craft breweries don't put out more examples of these beers.

4.28/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Updated rating 4.28/5;
Updated review on 1/18/2016:

64 oz growler from BottleCo in North Bergen, NJ.

I last had this beer about 9 & 1/2 years ago and clearly something was different. Did I get a bad batch in 2006? Has Victory changed their recipe? Or was I too early into my journey to appreciate the subtle intricacies of a skillfully crafted lager? My bet is on the latter. Sweet, malty aroma of freshly cracked grain with a touch of spice from the hops. Clean, malty, smooth flavor with controlled bitterness and sweetness. It's clear this was a fresh sample with the rich malts singing all the way through the beer. I finished my growler over two sittings, but could have easily polished it off in a day. I don't think I was capable of recognizing what I had my hands on almost a decade ago. This is great drinking!

-----

Previous rating 2.37/5;
Previous review from 8/29/2006:

This beer was completely not what I expected. I had been hoping for a nice malty lager with some serious flavor. What I got was a macro lager on steroids.

Pours a straw yellow color with a very small head and not much retention at all. I would have had a hard time distinguishing it side-by-side from a Bud. The aroma was not very pleasing at all. It didn't make me shy away from the beer, there just wasn't anything to talk about.

Very bland taste. Where are the malts? Where are the hops? Something is missing here for sure.

As critical as I'm being about this beer, it wasn't undrinkable. There just wasn't anything unique or exciting about it. You could have put it side by side with any other macro lager and I would have been hard pressed to tell the two apart. I actually put down a sixer of HopDevil and bought this instead. I won't be making that mistake again.

Victory Helles Lager from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown