Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Golden MonkeyGolden Monkey

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: Tripel

A magical, mystical Monkey whose golden sole glows with the wisdom of the ages. This radiant ale is rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing. Our Golden Monkey is both playfully delightful and profoundly satisfying. Exotic spice from the East rounds out this global journey to joy. Get on board. This Monkey's bound for glory!

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Reviews: 1,755 | Ratings: 5,453
4.25/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Cloudy, very pale yellow. Very thin head. Bubbles keep moving straight up in small lines like it's some sort of science experiment.

S: A little bit of alcohol. Lots of fruit.

T: Spicy fruit, lemon and orange. Subtle sweetness giving way to a dry grain finish. The taste lingers on its way out, and never gets unpleasant. Even at 9.5% ABV I can't find the alcohol in this one unless I really try.

M: Plenty of carbonation to perk up this smooth, medium drink. The spice really likes to linger on the palate.

D: Too much ABV to drink all night, but drinkable enough to drink more than you probably should.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pours a clear amber with a big soapy head that hangs around. strong carbonation. the nose here isn't shy and leaps out of the glass with a huge sweet biscuit, banana and honey bouquet. taste is another round of bombs; caramel malts, banana reduction, farmhouse yeasts and light fruit syrup do battle against a losing balancing attempt from coriander spices, white pepper, light hops and citrus zest. sweet honeyed biscuit and saison yeast resonate strongly on the aftertaste. this brew is definitely not as subtle as most examples of the style, and for some it might be a tad on the cloyingly sweet side. i jokingly refer to this brew as a "wannabe tripel" to friends, but with its 9.5% abv and heavy-handed, almost candied profile, it's probably more apt to call it an "indulgent tripel". either way, i've personally witnessed its alluring combination high gravity and dessert styling prove intoxicating on more than one occasion. =)

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

Ahh the tripel that got me started on tripels. My favorite style. I used to think this was the pinnacle. King of all kings. Until I found out about that country called Belgium.

BUT, it still stands up. Not as good as the quality Belgian tripels, but probably the best American style that I've had.

Poured from a bottled into my Delirium Tremens tulip glass. Pours a somewhat cloudy golden color with a nice head for the first few minutes but quickly fades leaving some lacing.

Smells a bit like bubble gum and banana bread.

Tastes much more fruity than the average tripel. Lots of flavor though and not a whole lot of alcohol taste, considering it's 9+% ABV. Also tastes a bit like banana bread.

Still one of my sentimental faves and one of the absolute best values around. I still go back to the Monkey every few weeks.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

Holy Shit!!! Strap me to a tree and call me Brenda!!!!

“Is this Gueuze?” that’s all I can say and think out aloud, as I reel from my first taste of this beer. The organized, conservative Beer Review has just flown out of the window, over my Balcony and fallen down 11 floors onto the Beach.

A “freebie” from fellow BA StoutLove77 (major respect!). It has me wishing I got a 6-Pack also from our recent trip to Vendomes. This monster Monkey pours out a hazy golden liquid which reminded me of home-made Marmalade. It has a well developed white head that settles down to a playful 1/8” throughout. The lace patterns left behind resemble the spattered remains of those damned difficult vacuum sealed small individual ketchup sachets that splatter your best shirt when you try to open them in Public. Damn this is good!
The nose is simply “tripel-tastic”, archetypal Belgium odors evacuate and literally destroy the lingering Californian atmosphere in my Apartment and replace it with beer traveled nasal memories. Suddenly I’m transported back to Brussels, drinking the excellent spicy Ranke Guldenberg Tripel in the Bier Circus. Fresh, fruity citric spicy aromas play with my testosterone levels and tease me as it flirts with my ‘love-lorn’ beer-genes, so close to Valentines Day as well – the Bastard. I want to marry this beer, and we haven’t even finished our first date yet, kissed or even slept together yet. This truly is, love at first taste.

The introduction is incredibly fruity, with an inviting black peppery, spicy lemony hoppiness. Then I am stumped, the middle has a tart acidic trait which is intriguing me. Is it supposed to be like this – or is this “turning”?? Maybe – but it’s dated “Bottled on Sept. 9, 02”. So I reckon it is inherent and purposely resident. A quite pungent acidity and dry sourness both hit the tongue amidst the dissolution of high inherent carbonation in the middle of this beer; like two baddies Thatcher and Reagan dancing away – you want to hate them, yet have restrained admiration for their achievements. Mouthfeel is high and this contributes to a distinct spritzy young lambic-gueuze tendency, an angle which endears me to this beer. Oh I like that !!!!
Finish is quite dry and tart. All this and its 9.5% ABV – Oh dear.

Is this the worlds first “Lambic-Tripel” ????
F**k me, what a great idea if it is.
Works for me!

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

A North American take on a Tripel this beer makes its presence known. Hazy Orange with a monster head , this beer needs a goblet to strut its stuff. The main flavours are spicy orange notes with hints of the alcohol . The beer starts off sweet but ends dry which is a plus in drinkability. This is a well made Tripel with lots of panache and boldness.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

I picked up a six-pack of this high alcohol beer at the brewery. This will set you back, reminds me of some of the German Weisse beers in the after taste. You will smell and taste the malts. It's complex enough to keep the drinking interesting. I like the mouth feel, makes you want to take another sip. Someone that only drinks Bud, will be set back with this one.

I like this one. (Of course, I'm into the second bottle, at 9+ABV, that may have something to do with it.)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a deep golden color.

Overall: Aroma is of the strong clove spice. The taste contains coriander, clove with hints of banana for a smooth and refreshing finish. Great mixture of spices and a little bit of bitterness for an outstanding beer!

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

This was poured into a borrowed chalice.
The appearance was a nice looking hazy orange color with a one and a half finger white foamy head that dissipated within about a minute. The lacing was spotty and somewhat messy.
The smell had an "iced apple" sort of glossed over sweet grapefruit to light coriander spice. Light clove and allspice combined to flavor.
The taste was sweet to light spicy to let in a nice apple-ness to gloss over in the taste.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium on the body with a nice sessionability about it. If anything, this one really came across in a nice sweet to spicy texture over my tongue.
Overall, yes, I dug this one alot. If Tripels are supposed to taste, smell, and feel like this, yeah, I'm gonna dig these beers in years to come.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

To me this is one of the best beers that I have had from Victory Brewing.

Poured into a plisner glass from a bottle; I know wrong glass but I had a few already tonight for this review. This beer pours a nice White head that sits a top a golden/copper colored brew.

The beer is bottle conditioned and has a nice appearance. With a nice head and nice lacing, good head retention.

The beer has a smell of floral, (banana maybe ?!?!) Sweet smell and yeasts.

The beer has a nice bubbly, smooth creamy finish mouthfeel.

The drinkability of this beer is top notch, I could easily buy a case of this brew. One of the better american brewed triple's I have tried. Very good and very drinkable brew. After a few of these I have noticed the alcohol in the taste, and in the effects...uhh.

Could get a case of this, very nice.

4.26/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass from the Victory variety pack.

Light to medium yellow in color with plenty of carbonation.

I didnt pick up much in the aroma dept. Almost like a soil/mud scent with a touch of yeast

Big belgium hit. yeast goodness with a spice touch. some alcohol on the tongue. Has a warming affect to it.

The after taste is mostly spice and lots of yeast

The yeast taste was the big hitter for me. Last time I had this beer at the Victory Brew Co. I dont remember it tasting like it does. Very nice beer.

4.26/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap, it pours a beautiful cloudy golden yellow. Aroma is not strong, but crisp and wheaty with a strong citrus component. Flavor is richly wheaty with a strong lemon overtone and some surprisingly strong hoppy taste. It goes down smoothly but with some pizzazz and leaves a satisfying hoppy aftertaste.

4.27/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a nicy deep yellow color with a nice medium rocky head,the aroma was pretty tart and spicey.The taste was pretty cloveywith a malty sweet background,dangerously drinkable,wow.A very good beer from Victory,impressive maltiness in the ending on this one,pretty complex.

4.27/5  rDev +14.8%

Clear golden color, almost mead-like in color with an orange tint. Very poor head retention, but good bubble activity. Only sparse lace.

Smell is just as a tripel should be: fruity, floral, spicy, good layer of yeast emitting pungency.

Tastes mirror the aromas, which is to say it's got plenty of depth and is delicious. The fruity and floral aspects just barely dominate the exotic spiciness and warming from the alcohol. Honey and black pepper rise up from the flavor as it warms.

Mouthfeel is very good, and quite right for the style, with a remarkable carbonated zip and a butteriness offsetting any sharpness.

Victory comes through with a solid American version of the Belgian tripel. Despite the high alcohol, this is almost too easy to drink. Be careful with it, but just TRY to not enjoy it!

12oz Bottle. Best by June 2013 / Drank on Dec 06, 2010

Pours a nice hazy golden yellow with a little bit of head that quickly dissapates.

Smells spicy with a bit of banana, slight alcohol notes.

Tastes just like it smells: prominent banana and yeast with some spice, but a tad sweeter. Nice warmth from the alcohol going down but nothing too much.

Medium body to it, about what I expected. Not too thin, not too creamy.

Drinkability is very high. It's hard to not go for a second or third, but with 9.5% ABV, you need to be careful.

Overall this is one of my favorite beers from my favorite local brewery and I'd never turn down the opportunity to have one or two of these.

4.27/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured golden, orange-tinted and cloudy, with a big head that disappeared quite fast, very thin white lace.

Aroma of peaches, caramel, some floral scents.

This is a smooth, syrupy, full bodied beer. A strong fruity, peachy flavour, very sweet. Hops are very floral and complement the flavour quite well. Alcohol is extremely hidden, but is very warming.

It is quite a tasty beer, and very drinkable, but not your typical tripel. However, still very enjoyable.

4.27/5  rDev +14.8%

I got this in a growler at Whole Foods on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. I think I like this even better than the bottle version. The difficulty is to drink a growler of Tripel fast enough before it goes flat.

Color is a perfect gold, carbonation is good at first but goes flat pretty fast. Flavor and aroma are perfect to the style.

I will get this as an american tripel alternative often.

Highly recommend.

4.27/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance - Pours out a Nice Golden Color, Lots of Carbonation.

Smell - Like a Belgian Style Ale, Sweeter than most, Nice Spice Note mixed with a Yeasty smell.

Taste - Very Pleasant and Smooth for a Triple, you can't really taste the 9.5 ABV, very balanced, slightly on the sweet side, but I dig it, a very nice aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Light and Crisp, Leaves a nice spicy aftertaste.

Drinkability - Very Drinkable, but beware these are very Strong 9.5 ABV and a couple of these will go straight to your head.

4.27/5  rDev +14.8%

This brew pours a semi-cloudy golden orange color with a small white head that recedes within seconds. The aroma is of orange peel, and is huge. The taste is very juicy, with huge orange notes and slight alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lots of carbonation. Overall, this is a very nice American Beer, and a fine tripel.

4.27/5  rDev +14.8%

Draft. Very Heavy Goblet.

It poured a hazy golden orange but without a head. Immediately I was drawn to it by it's color. The smell is fruity, tasty (if that can be a smell) it makes one want to drink it right away. The taste is sweet, not so much malty or like honey, but just sweet. You get the sweet which gives way to the sour and finishes off with an alcoholic aftertaste that isn't bad at all. I would have liked more complex flavors, as the taste was good, but could be improved, perhaps with spices. The taste is smooth, and barring the high alcohol content, I could spend all night with this beer.

4.27/5  rDev +14.8%

No enjoy by date on the label.
Poured slowly into a standard pint glass.

A: Poured to a white, one-finger head that quickly disapated to a single layer of bubbles that lasted until the glass was empty. The brew is a darker shade of golden straw, and there are lots of carbon bubbles raising to the head.

S: The aroma is a sweet type of Belgian yeast funk with a hint of sweet caramel malt, too.

T: The taste has hints of bubble gum that blend with some banana. There is also a bit of sweet, light roasted malt and a solid dose of bitter hops to keep the sweetness in check. There is also some sharp spiciness that helps to focus the Belgian yeast funk.

M: The beer has a medium weight body and plenty of carbonation. It finishes fairly clean and leaves just a bit of an aftertaste of hops bitterness and Belgian yeast funk.

O: Wow. I am wowed by the flavors that explode forth from this beer. The many flavors make it complex, but not too complex to enjoy. The Belgian yeast funk is more bubble gum and banana (as opposed to yesterdays socks and a sweaty t-shirt). It also has plenty of carbonation, but again, not too much. For Belgian yeast funk lovers this should be a "must try."

4.27/5  rDev +14.8%

It was poured into two glasses: one goblet and one tulip

Pours a nice golden amber hue. For the larger goblet, it poured clear but in the tulip, it was cloudier and slightly spotted.
A strong banana and spice nose emerged from the beer
It tasted medium with a nice crisp feel. Nice banana, wheat, and clove flavor and it tasted better and more rounded with sediment.

Good beer. I would buy it again

4.27/5  rDev +14.8%

I believe that this is a high powered beer brewed in the Belgian trippel fashion. I received this beer when I told my waitress that I liked American double IPA's . She was way off but this is a great tasting beer light but with a kick. It is perfect for drifting off into oblivion on a hot summer day after a long bike ride or a round of golf. Taste fruity and finishes smooth. Good malt taste at 9+abv. You would expect an alcohol taste yet it is masked quite well. Cheers.

4.28/5  rDev +15.1%

Yeah, my first review! No idea why I waited so long, but I had Golden Monkey tonight, and became inspired when it was so much better than I expected.

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into a snifter.

Appearance: Poured a very rich, hazy orange with a billowing foamy head. After the head subsided, a 1/4 inch head remained with nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: Bananas with some Belgian yeast funkiness.

Taste: More bananas, with peppery spice, sugary sweetness and a nice amount of hops (not too much or too little). Can't taste the alcohol.

Feel: Pretty carbonated, but also very smooth with a rich mouthfeel.

Drinkability: This is 9.5%? Wow, that's scary.

4.28/5  rDev +15.1%

This beer is liquid gold. Pours a slightly cloudy gold with a good head.

Nose of yeast and slight banana. Some hoppiness (not much) detectible in the nose. A little ester, unidentifiable as of yet, maybe peach?

Gloriously well carbonated, just enough to tingle the tongue. I think the hops in this might be Tettnanger. Malty, sugary taste is clearly apparent. This is a great Belgian, I would put it more in the category of a Belgian strong golden than of a tripel.

Citrusy taste, apricot hits mid-palate. The finish is clean and smooth. Quite drinkable for a beer of this potency. I wouldn't put a 12-ouncer of this down half-finished.

4.28/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours a crisp, sparkling golden hue, capped with a gorgeous rocky head. Wonderful aromas of peppery spice, Belgian yeast, honey malt and a hint of barnyard. A deliciously well balanced beer, with hints of citrus, sweet malt, banana, clove and drying alcohol. I could drink a lot of this one, as the carbonation levels make this one go down so smoothly, especially with the 9.5% alcohol content. An excellent buy, at less than $2 a bottle.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown