Golden Monkey | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Tripel

A magical, mystical Monkey whose golden sole glows with the wisdom of the ages. This radiant ale is rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing. Our Golden Monkey is both playfully delightful and profoundly satisfying. Exotic spice from the East rounds out this global journey to joy. Get on board. This Monkey's bound for glory!

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Ratings: 5,656 |  Reviews: 1,799

3.98/5  rDev +7%

Strong smell + taste of banana and cotton candy upfront without being cloying. High ABV is dangerously well-masked.

4.11/5  rDev +10.5%

Very pleasant, not as superb as the best saisons I have had straight from the brewer. This is a hard to get this genre of ale to get just right. It would probably taste better at the brewery tap, to be honest. Mine was from a glass, poured at 41F from a glass. It is a little bit unsubtle for a saison. It has a narrow range of flavor, although enjoyable enough. It tastes a bit like oxidized honey and old caramel, but does have a good hint of the typical saison. Note to brewer: I think Victory have a great product that they could improve on. (i am a Belgian style brewer myself)

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%

Spicy and sweetness without being either. You taste a lot of flavor, but nothing overpowers. Just a good blend, smooth and very good.

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

4.99/5  rDev +34.1%

4.4/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A tasteful tripel with many flavors at first, followed by a hint of a Christmas type spice at the end. The sweetness overpowers the alcohol, which makes this quite drinkable.

4.31/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am in the midst of a VT CANQuest (tm) excursion, but having sipped upon sunshine, I decided to move away from AIPAs & DIPAs for the moment & delve into one of the CANs taking up space in my reefer. I flash back to the early days of The CANQuest, c. 2004/2005. I was bending Bill Covaleski's ear re. putting Victory's beers in CANs for the umpteenth time. I had been heartened as Tom Kehoe of Yards assured me that he was into the idea, but numerous factors came into play (sidebar: the new Yards facility WILL have a CANning line) & so I felt emboldened. Bill, who is usually one of the most even-keeled, long-tempered brewers that I know, suddenly wheeled & roared, "WOODY, STOP IT WITH THE CANS! VICTORY BEERS WILL BE IN CANS WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER! NOT ANOTHER WORD, UNDERSTOOD?!?" Upon leaving, I rang up my broker & secured the sole proprietorship on any and all cold-weather gear sold in Hades. Today, I am a rich man, while Bro. Bill is merely sheepish. BTW, he really likes when I recount that tale!

From the CAN: "

I Crack!ed open the CAN to loud applause from beneath my chair. I guess that the residents of H-E-double-toothpick are likewise glad to see Victory beers in CANtained aluminum cylinders! I was greeted by a brimful CAN that immediately began foaming through the vent in an instance of Covaleski's Revenge. I allowed it to settle before performing a gentle Glug which was enough to satiate us all. I watched as it formed a finger of dense, foamy, bone-white head of its own accord & then evinced great retention. Color was a gorgeous Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 -5), like liquid sunshine of which I was about to take a sip, at least I was until the arrival of The Gelt Gang - Croesus, Midas & Mammon, all wanting some Golden goodness of their own. Nose had a pronounced spiciness, but not the usual Pumpkin/Hallowe'en/Holiday spices. No, instead, this was coriander, black pepper, star anise & dried orange peel! Oh my. Mouthfeel was full, thick & creamy as though a dollop had been ladled onto my tongue by a trollop. The taste was wonderfully spicy, very peppery, but with a light citrusiness & a dry mustiness that could only have been borne of Belgian yeast.

This was evocative of our initial foray to the then-nascent brewpub in Downingtown, via train from Lancaster. It seemed like a long walk from the train station at the time, but now, il n'est pas rien. As we were leaving, a fellow guest offered to give us a ride up Lancaster Avenue to the train station & thus unburdened, we purchased a growler of Golden Monkey which we passed around like a jug of hooch on the train. Upon debarking in Lancaster, we had to be poured off of the train!

The finish was spicy, yeasty & very dry. I kept getting intense peppery notes, even well after the swallow.

If you like white wine & CANnot find it in a CAN, I humbly offer this up as a (possibly) suitable substitute. Its presence in a CAN means that you CAN put it next to your boyfriend's CANs of TenFidy in the cooler as you head to the beach, never to be heard from again as the surf gently pulls your slumbering bodies out to sea.

3.44/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A really unique beer! Cotton candy, bananas and bubblegum. Got me a bit too drunk. The booze is hard to pick out with all the other flavors. Good beer for sure. I'd get it again.

4.24/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Many times I have had this beer and in various glassware, but as always, for tonight, it's obviously in a chalice as that's the only respectable sort of glassware for this style.
The appearance was a soft semi-cloudy sort of bronze/copper color with a finger's worth of white foamy head that swiftly dissipated. Lace seemed to sparkle a bit but becomes strewn about in a speckled sort of way.
The aroma had some "iced apples" up front, somewhat Granny Smith-like with a touch of coriander, delicate Belgian sugars, sly Belgian bready/yeastiness, light banana flesh, and ended with a little bit of clove.
The flavor was a superb blend of sweet to spicy Belgian malts to spices and gently weaving into themselves to create a refined aftertaste.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with a shining absorbent carbonation feeling right on into the ABV eloquently.
Overall, pretty nice Belgian Tripel brewed by an American brewer. No wonder I've come back to this so many times in life.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.42/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.34/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.46/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%

Golden with white head out of 12oz can
Nice Belgian peppery spice
Strong alcohol, yet easy to drink
Mouthfeel is creamy
Definitely a nice summer desert beer

4.23/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorites. I try to keep it stocked whenever possible. LIght taste, doesn't taste boozy at all. A little hoppier than ideal. Definite floral tones, a little bit of spice. Definitely worth drinking.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown