Golden Monkey | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Tripel

A magical, mystical Monkey whose golden sole glows with the wisdom of the ages. This radiant ale is rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing. Our Golden Monkey is both playfully delightful and profoundly satisfying. Exotic spice from the East rounds out this global journey to joy. Get on board. This Monkey's bound for glory!

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Ratings: 5,669 |  Reviews: 1,802
3.44/5  rDev -7.5%

4.5/5  rDev +21%

I just picked up a 4-pack of Victory's DirtWolf IIPA only to find that someone had swapped one with a Golden Monkey. This was my first time trying Victory. Based on the reviews, I didn't have much expectation. However, I am very pleasantly surprised. This beer is incredibly balanced for being 9.5% in my opinion. Some reviewers are saying that it tastes very strong, I didn't find that to be the case at all. Sweet and creamy tripel. Paired incredibly well with spicy food.

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

4.8/5  rDev +29%

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

4.95/5  rDev +33.1%

I don't understand why the bros reviewed this so low. They need to have another.

If you pay really close attention to each sip, the qualities kind of disappear - you have to just drink it and not think too much. You'll realize how good it is. It's got such a nice light (golden?) taste and feel, but it's also rich and flavorful - some spice and floral - especially the afterglow. Sweet the main thing for me. Virtually no hop bitterness.

A - Gorgeous pour.

S - Not strong, but not distracting or bad. I give it a five not because it was a perfect smell, but because for me it's not part of the experience - it's mild/neutral and doesn't detract from the drinking of it.

T - See above.

M - I guess I do like a bit more carbonation, but that's not really the thing with this style right?

O - Again, don't focus on each sip. Just enjoy it.

3.44/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle served in a pint glass
Bright pale gold in the glass the head starts out about a finger thick and then settles to a fine film on the top of the liquid. The smell is quite yeasty at least that is the first thing I notice. Behind that there is a bit of banana maybe some lemon or citrus and finally some bready/wheaty malt. This beer starts out quite sweet, the malt comes through but it doesn't seem much more than a single dimension. There is some bitterness but just a touch and some peppery spiciness but again everything seems kind of muted and like it needs more. Some of the alcohol comes through in this one which I maybe expected for the style but that tied with the sweetness reducing the mouthfeel a bit for me. Overall I'd have to say that this is just so so maybe a nice attempt but I would have expected better from this brewer.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown