Golden Monkey | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Tripel

A magical, mystical Monkey whose golden sole glows with the wisdom of the ages. This radiant ale is rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing. Our Golden Monkey is both playfully delightful and profoundly satisfying. Exotic spice from the East rounds out this global journey to joy. Get on board. This Monkey's bound for glory!

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Ratings: 5,669 |  Reviews: 1,802
4.24/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am in the midst of a VT CANQuest (tm) excursion, but having sipped upon sunshine, I decided to move away from AIPAs & DIPAs for the moment & delve into one of the CANs taking up space in my reefer. I flash back to the early days of The CANQuest, c. 2004/2005. I was bending Bill Covaleski's ear re. putting Victory's beers in CANs for the umpteenth time. I had been heartened as Tom Kehoe of Yards assured me that he was into the idea, but numerous factors came into play (sidebar: the new Yards facility WILL have a CANning line) & so I felt emboldened. Bill, who is usually one of the most even-keeled, long-tempered brewers that I know, suddenly wheeled & roared, "WOODY, STOP IT WITH THE CANS! VICTORY BEERS WILL BE IN CANS WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER! NOT ANOTHER WORD, UNDERSTOOD?!?" Upon leaving, I rang up my broker & secured the sole proprietorship on any and all cold-weather gear sold in Hades. Today, I am a rich man, while Bro. Bill is merely sheepish. BTW, he really likes when I recount that tale!

From the CAN: "

I Crack!ed open the CAN to loud applause from beneath my chair. I guess that the residents of H-E-double-toothpick are likewise glad to see Victory beers in CANtained aluminum cylinders! I was greeted by a brimful CAN that immediately began foaming through the vent in an instance of Covaleski's Revenge. I allowed it to settle before performing a gentle Glug which was enough to satiate us all. I watched as it formed a finger of dense, foamy, bone-white head of its own accord & then evinced great retention. Color was a gorgeous Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 -5), like liquid sunshine of which I was about to take a sip, at least I was until the arrival of The Gelt Gang - Croesus, Midas & Mammon, all wanting some Golden goodness of their own. Nose had a pronounced spiciness, but not the usual Pumpkin/Hallowe'en/Holiday spices. No, instead, this was coriander, black pepper, star anise & dried orange peel! Oh my. Mouthfeel was full, thick & creamy as though a dollop had been ladled onto my tongue by a trollop. The taste was wonderfully spicy, very peppery, but with a light citrusiness & a dry mustiness that could only have been borne of Belgian yeast.

This was evocative of our initial foray to the then-nascent brewpub in Downingtown, via train from Lancaster. It seemed like a long walk from the train station at the time, but now, il n'est pas rien. As we were leaving, a fellow guest offered to give us a ride up Lancaster Avenue to the train station & thus unburdened, we purchased a growler of Golden Monkey which we passed around like a jug of hooch on the train. Upon debarking in Lancaster, we had to be poured off of the train!

The finish was spicy, yeasty & very dry. I kept getting intense peppery notes, even well after the swallow.

If you like white wine & CANnot find it in a CAN, I humbly offer this up as a (possibly) suitable substitute. Its presence in a CAN means that you CAN put it next to your boyfriend's CANs of TenFidy in the cooler as you head to the beach, never to be heard from again as the surf gently pulls your slumbering bodies out to sea.

3.44/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A really unique beer! Cotton candy, bananas and bubblegum. Got me a bit too drunk. The booze is hard to pick out with all the other flavors. Good beer for sure. I'd get it again.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.24/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Many times I have had this beer and in various glassware, but as always, for tonight, it's obviously in a chalice as that's the only respectable sort of glassware for this style.
The appearance was a soft semi-cloudy sort of bronze/copper color with a finger's worth of white foamy head that swiftly dissipated. Lace seemed to sparkle a bit but becomes strewn about in a speckled sort of way.
The aroma had some "iced apples" up front, somewhat Granny Smith-like with a touch of coriander, delicate Belgian sugars, sly Belgian bready/yeastiness, light banana flesh, and ended with a little bit of clove.
The flavor was a superb blend of sweet to spicy Belgian malts to spices and gently weaving into themselves to create a refined aftertaste.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with a shining absorbent carbonation feeling right on into the ABV eloquently.
Overall, pretty nice Belgian Tripel brewed by an American brewer. No wonder I've come back to this so many times in life.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.42/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.34/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.46/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%

Golden with white head out of 12oz can
Nice Belgian peppery spice
Strong alcohol, yet easy to drink
Mouthfeel is creamy
Definitely a nice summer desert beer

4.23/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorites. I try to keep it stocked whenever possible. LIght taste, doesn't taste boozy at all. A little hoppier than ideal. Definite floral tones, a little bit of spice. Definitely worth drinking.

3.74/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep golden color with a one inch inch white head that was well retained. Smells and tastes of bready yeast (not quite the classic Belgian yeast however), clove, orange, spices and an overall sweetness. Medium body and carbonation and the ABV was well hidden.

3.36/5  rDev -9.7%

3.99/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.76/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

4.46/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

L: Poured from a twelve oz can, came in a 6 pack. It has a deep yellow verging on an amber - ish color. Thick white off white yellowish head. Looks great, the smell is filling the room.
S: It smells fruity. Also flowery I am picking up spice along the lines of potpourri. The few Belgian tripels I've had all have a distinct smell, almost champagne like. This is no exception. Astounding beer.
T: Absolutely love it. See the smell section. They have done a superb job making a 9.5% beer this great. Better not plan on driving. This goes down like nothing and at this percentage, it's gonna sneak up on you big time. On the exhale really tasting flowers and potpourri.
F: watery and wet. Thin. It is swallowed quickly and easily. As if it was Bud Light. No thickness here, and that is a positive in my book.
O: Can you not tell already? Go get this if you haven't!

3.89/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a bottled on date of 3/7/17; into a Duvel tulip.
Appearance- gold, clear and with an abundance of carbonation bubbles. Head is a medium thick, pillow soft white that leaves nice lacing!
Smell - Belgian yeast, coriander and a hint of lemon.
Taste - lemon sweetness, spiciness from the coriander and faint trace of booze, but I find it to really be hidden!
Feel - medium body, sweet but not overly so and a gentle spice hides the booze quite well!
Overall - I rather enjoy this beer and don't really understand some of the overly negative reviews I've read. Certainly not as good as other Tripel's, but it's still pretty good.

3.49/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.09/5  rDev -16.9%

Bottle dated 18 MAR 17. DFH Tulip.

A: pours a nearly clear gold with 1 finger of white head that recedes quickly. Ample, streaming carbonation. Not much in the way of lacing. Little retention.

S: right off the bat loads of bubble gum esters and a little ripe banana. Sweet, candied malt. Nothing in the way of citrus, which I would sort of expect.

T: bright and slightly tart arrival transitions to a crisp and crackery middle that shows off those medicinal phenols. Bubble gum and clove. A little alcohol there as it transitions to the finish, which is slightly medicinal, and has a restrained sweetness. Some lingering phenols and a little alcohol.

M: solidly midweight and very highly carbonated; slick finish but not excessively so. Doesn't really have the "creamy" texture I was expecting or hoping for.

O: kind of disappointed, to tell you the truth. La fin du Monde was my first tripel, and even now when I have it I love it. I've only had maybe four tripels, but this is borderline difficult to drink. I like this less than the tripel with black peppercorns I once had. Don't think I'd buy again.

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.92/5  rDev -21.5%