Golden Monkey | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Tripel

A magical, mystical Monkey whose golden sole glows with the wisdom of the ages. This radiant ale is rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing. Our Golden Monkey is both playfully delightful and profoundly satisfying. Exotic spice from the East rounds out this global journey to joy. Get on board. This Monkey's bound for glory!

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Reviews: 1,781 | Ratings: 5,599
3.99/5  rDev +7.3%

Solid tripel, crisp and balanced. Nice golden color and thick white head. Grape on the nose, yeasty. Good mouthfeel, nice carbonation, refreshing. the 9.5abv well covered. I enjoyed this overall.

3.2/5  rDev -14%

The first time I had this beer, I hated it. The yeast and spices were overpowering and I didn't enjoy it at all. Seven months later, it's considerably better. I can't be certain, but either my taste has changed considerably or the bottle conditioning did this beer a world of good.

It pours a nice golden color with about 1cm of white head. For those value such things, the lacing is pretty good. The nose is milder than the first bottle I had seven months ago. The smell of yeast is much milder and mixes decently with the spices. The flavor even better several months down the line. It starts with sweet malts and a touch of yeast and and finishes with spices. Much better balanced than the first bottle I had. All in all, when it's had some time to age, it's a rather drinkable beer. If you don't like it at first, give it some time. It does get better.

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Golden goodness

S: Sweet malt nose

T: Creamy malt with banana/vanilla notes

M: Cream soda mouthfeel

D: Smooth with an exotic feel to it

A decent attempt at a Belgian tripel, but invariably sweet due to the high alcohol. Could have used a bit more balance with bitterness, IMO. Still, a nice drinkable beer with a fruity exotic creaminess to it. I would try it again but only as an occasional treat.

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured into a 12oz glass from the bottle forming a cream colored head over a yellow-gold body, very slight haze and a good bit of visible carbonation. The head disipates to a thin cap on the top of the beer that nicely laces the glass. The smell is quite sweet and somewhat alcoholic in nature, too damn complex for me to describe, maybe grains and sugar and nutmeg??? The taste is equally complicated, malt up front then a light floral hops taste with an overall spice bite with a light alcohol presence. Hell, let's make this simple, it tastes and smells real good. It's real creamy too, slightly dry finish with a sweet aftertaste. I think this is a very easy drinking beverage but the high ABV kicks it out of session beer category most of the time. Sayonara!

4.17/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured a barely cloudy golden color with a 1/4 inch white head that quickly dissolved. Visible carbonation

Sweet, spicy and yeasty. I can smell a bit of alcohol, esters, and a little pepper.

More spice than sweetness. Dry, and crisp and bready. Deliciously bitter,

Pretty carbonated, light and very dry.

Well do it again, but next time, I'll buy the whole six instead of a single. Pretty strong stuff, so I'm not sure I'd have more than two 12ozs at a time.

3.66/5  rDev -1.6%

Bottle dated Jun 20 05 from my cellar.

Poured a cloudy golden amber with two-finger head that rapidly subdued to a thin sticky film on top. Smell was minimal, but had hints of musty fruit. Taste was very sweet tropical fruit and raisins, with a nice alcohol warmth carrying through to the finish. Presence of hops was all but gone. Full syrupy mouthfeel. Preferred this cellared considerably more so than fresh.

3.27/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I had this on-tap at the Victory Brewery.

A: Pale straw color, very dense and cloudy. A lot of white lacing around the edges, but it doesn't last long.

S: Cloves, spices, maybe a subtle hint of hops, but nothing overpowering. The yeast really steals the show out of everything, but at 9.5% the alcohol will burn if you inhale too deeply.

T&M: Nice and rich -- very complex. Layers of bread, cloves, allspice, honey and wildflower. This could easily be any hefeweizen with a little bit of mead thrown in. As it warmed, I got hints of candied ginger too. A lot going on as far as complexity, but the alcohol is always the lasting impression.

Overall -- not a bad beer. There are better tripels to be found (most definitely from Belgium), but for an American "try" -- not too bad. The alcohol really shows on the nose and palate and overwhelms what could be a great beer. I definitely couldn't have more than one (God forbid I ever try...). Victory usually does great stuff, but this is a little over-done. A simple decrease in alcohol from 9.5% to maybe 8% or 8.5%, would make a world of difference.

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

A&S: Pours a translucent golden color (shocker there, right?) with a healthy amount of head that dissipates quickly. Smell is sweet and I get a slight scent of something like cloves.

T&M: Taste is slightly sweet with a bit of a boozy aftertaste. I get the clove flavor again, although I suppose I might be confusing tastes because I'm not super familiar with this flavor. Mouthfeel has a healthy amount of carbonation, but a very light feel.

O: A pretty good brew, drinkable and has a hefty kick to it with such a high ABV. Not very familiar with the style but I'd be willing to try a few others in this vein.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

Complex beer, probably on purpose to mask the 9.5% ABV. Full aroma of spice, fruit, malt, bit of hops and some alcohol. Taste is deep, medium body with hints of many things floating around the palette. Spicy, sweet, malt, carbonation, fruit, etc etc. You just have to try it. Another beer that can sneak up on you if you're not paying attention and go through a few bottles... but its oh so worth it.

2.92/5  rDev -21.5%

I wasn't sure what to expect because this is my first sampling of the style. I found Golden Monkey to be pretty spicey, in the nose and the taste, almost overpoweringly so.

The flavor profile was quite interesting to me, and was what kept me drinking the beer, because I wasn't very fond of the taste or mouthfeel. It comes across with slight bitterness at first, then the spices a very prevalent, and finally it finishes sweet and almost dry.

Overall, I'm glad I tried this new style, and will eventually drink this beer again. I've had a darker Belgian before, and my initial reaction is that I enjoyed the darker one more (although it is unfair to compare different styles, obviously). So, for now, I consider this to be an ok beer that has me interested enough to revisit sometime in a few months.

3.09/5  rDev -16.9%

Surprisingly clear, I can practically make out the characters on the keys of my keyboard when I look through the glass. Golden/yellow color, as expected. Head is smallish and dissipates quickly.

Some sweet citrus and floral aromas. I detect some herbs as well.

A strong cloves presence from the first sip, definitely a turnoff for me. Orange peel and hoppiness as an afterthought.

Crisp, clean, and refreshing. Great brew for warm weather methinks. The ABV is fairly well hidden and it's quite smooth.

I respect Victory Brewing immensely but unfortunately this beer didn't do it for me. Maybe I'm just not really diggin' the Tripel tonight. I'll re-review if I feel differently next time.

4.47/5  rDev +20.2%

As good of a brewery as Victory is, this tripel is a good example of their excellence. A sharp, spicy beer where the alcohol content kicks your ass if you don't watch it.

3.56/5  rDev -4.3%

A: A deep yellow orange with an unfiltered/textured appearance. Small head with very little retention.

S: Yeast, allspice, honey. Overall a developing nice increasing sweet/spice balance.

T: Viscous upfront with little yeast flavor, but a crisp dry finish followed by increasing sugar and spice and alcohol afterburn.

M: Viscous at first and a very pleasant crisp finish and increasing flavor after its long gone. A nice ride.

D: Nice, the 9.5% is not all that noticeable. Great with peanuts.

4.45/5  rDev +19.6%

Beer pours a nice amber colour, lots of yeast, and i nice looking head that quickly fades. Smells fruity, but with an underlying content of alcohol, it's pleasant, but lets you know that there is a true beer lying underneath. Taste is beautiful, a full bodies feel and the spices really come through, tastes great without letting the abnormally high alcohol content hit you, hoppiness is also a very big plus, like drinking a fruity tree. As previously stated, the feel is tremendous, and the drinkability is also exceptionally high, especially for a Tripel, which usually leaves me feeling like a it's a little strong to keep drinking, while i could drink this all day, and love it. This is easily one of the best beers I've ever had, and I cannot recommend it highly enough

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

I picked up a six-pack of this high alcohol beer at the brewery. This will set you back, reminds me of some of the German Weisse beers in the after taste. You will smell and taste the malts. It's complex enough to keep the drinking interesting. I like the mouth feel, makes you want to take another sip. Someone that only drinks Bud, will be set back with this one.

I like this one. (Of course, I'm into the second bottle, at 9+ABV, that may have something to do with it.)

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

this is my first taste of a Tripel style beer.

poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: hazy gold, with a small head of fizzy foam, doesn't stick around for long, but some frothy lacing remains.

S: flowery, yeast, and some bitter notes.

T: Pretty damn good, although I don't have anything to compare it too, not too bitter, but still has some hops to liven your tongue. Aftertaste is a mild hint of alcohol. Note: Does pack quite a punch, but is nothing like I wouldn't have expected judging by the alcohol content.

M: Fairly smooth. a bit creamy, a tad carbonated.

D: I enjoyed it, although I'm anxious to try more of the style, that being said, I would def. have again.

3.99/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours out golden straw in color that is very translucent with a nice three-finger head that is white in color with OK retention and some decent lacing. There is some nice yeasties floating around. Looks very nice.

Smell is of nice Belgian yeast, bananas, some spices I can't name but they are there. Really smells of a decent Belgian triple.

Taste is that great Belgian yeast one would expect in a similar yeast like a hefe. Really my favorite yeast smell ant taste. Nice banana flavor with some nice spices that are very noticeable and really add to the beer.

Mouthfeel is more than thin but not thick. I guess I would say semi-thick due to the carbonation from the great yeast.

Overall I am a sucker for most Belgian abby beers and this doesn't disappoint. Really tastes like a nice replication of the true thing for an American replication. Really love this beer and highly recommend it. To be truthful... I am just a sucker for any beer that has this nice yeasty taste. I just love these beers.

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

Aroma: The aroma is fruity and I can smell the bananas.

Appearance: Pours deep yellow with an off white head. The head dissipates quickly. The clarity is good, despite the yeast that is suspended in the glass.

Flavor: The initial taste is lightly spicy and dominated by the fruitiness.

Mouth feel: It has a medium-light body that is creamy. The carbonation in minimum hence the effervescent must be from the alcohol.

Overall Impression: I enjoyed this beer very much. The fruitiness and the lightness in body make this an easy beer to drink. The 9.5% ABV adds the danger, I can see limiting myself to 1 or 2 when out, or just staying home and drinking a few more than 2.

3.37/5  rDev -9.4%

Victory only recently came to town, and I've been enjoying Hop Wallop, Storm King, and Hop Devil. So, had to try this one out. I've only recently acquired a real taste for Belgian brews and their use of candied sugars, but judging by the tripels I've had recently, Golden Monkey does not epitomize the style or take it to any extraordinary level.

It's quite good, certainly way above average, but I have to say that it isn't the best I've tasted, so I can't give it high marks.

A: Pours clear gold, almost no head retention. Decent carbonation, but not as much as I'd expect from a tripel.

S: Very citrusy, a little "yeasty", with pronounced esters.

T: Sweet and tart at once. Very lemony and spicy. Mostly lemons is what I'm getting. With an aftertaste of lemons.

M: A little bit dry, but smooth. The citrus character and high abv makes it a bit solvent-like, burning the tongue slightly, but has a nice warming quality that extends down the throat.

D: Very drinkable, but god damn this stuff is strong. After one 12oz bottle I'm feeling the buzz. I'm not complaining or anything, but I think if I were going to spend the night drinking this I'd have to plan on having someone carry me to my bed.

3.71/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Golden and translucent with a 1 inch thick lingering head and bubbles swirling throughout the glass, it looks like a storm
S: bubblegum, some citrus fruits also, almost reminiscent of belgian whites and even the german style weisse, but much milder and kind of boring
T: not as much bubblegum as in the nose but it is sweet and i can definitely taste the cloves and some maltiness, and due to the high ABV it has a strong alcohol flavor that sits on the back of my tongue
M: a good amount of carbonation that moves quickly from the front to the back of my tongue, sits for a moment and stings a little, and is gone as quickly as it came
D: overall a good tasting beer, and at such a high alcohol content (9.5% ABV) it is pretty easy to drink. I think it is a decent beer...not the best from Victory (which I love) but in a variety pack it is a good change of pace

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

Reviewed from notes of 3/11/11

Received from my friend Orlando in a 6 pack grab.

A = Light amber color. Lager looking in appearance. Good carbonation. 2 finger light froth. Watery lacing.

S = Belgian tripple like aroma. Alcohol aroma present. Notes of corriander and citrus.

T = Noticeable corriander, orange and apple.

M = Very smooth on the front and back end. Apple cider like body.

O = I liked this. Very drinkable. Good approach to an American brewed Belgian. Would go nicely with sushi and sashimi.

2.16/5  rDev -41.9%

Calling this a triple is unfair, it is shallow with none of the subtly of a fully fermented beer.
The appearance is clear and golden, so clear it can't even hold head let alone flavor.
It is almost lager like in its lack of gravitas. I have heard of other beers called girlie beers, this is a virtual beer pretty only for a picture. I wish they delivered more.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Very clear amber tone with a 1/2" head that goes away quickly and then is almost non existent. Slight lacing that doesn't stick around long.

Smells of fruit, spice, malts. I've only had one Tripel before, so I can't speak to how well this translates into the style they are going for, but it's a decent winter warmer for sure. Sort of a fruity taste up front, with some alcohol warmth on the finish.

This has a fairly light mouthfeel and is drinkable enough for the 9.5% ABV. I think, even though you can feel some alcohol warmth, this beer hides that large ABV percentage fairly well.

Again, I can't really compare this to other Tripels, because it's not a style I'm all that familiar with. It does not taste anything like the Chimay Tripel, that I can say for sure. It almost reminds me of a west coast IPA in a sense, not because of a huge hop presence or bitterness, but more because of the citrus/fruit flavors.

Worth checking out at any rate, but not my favorite offering from Victory by a long shot.

4.54/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Banana and clove flavors in the aroma and taste. Not much in terms of "added spice". Yeast is dominant flavor. Not a huge flavor and no alcohol noted for a tripel with 8.7%

3.72/5  rDev 0%

Once you pour this stuff you notice a lot of alcohol. I just got done with a winter activity in the snow and this beer fit the bill. very spicy, citrus like. Coriander or clove. I like to have this on hand for the opportunity to sip something nice next to the fireplace. A great Winter drink, but not more than one at a time. Tastes similar to a Belgian White I tried in Harrisburg, only with much more alcohol.If you're going to drink this beer out, make sure you can get someone else to drive.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown