Golden Monkey | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Tripel

A magical, mystical Monkey whose golden sole glows with the wisdom of the ages. This radiant ale is rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing. Our Golden Monkey is both playfully delightful and profoundly satisfying. Exotic spice from the East rounds out this global journey to joy. Get on board. This Monkey's bound for glory!

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Reviews: 1,770 | Ratings: 5,531
3.56/5  rDev -4.3%

A: A deep yellow orange with an unfiltered/textured appearance. Small head with very little retention.

S: Yeast, allspice, honey. Overall a developing nice increasing sweet/spice balance.

T: Viscous upfront with little yeast flavor, but a crisp dry finish followed by increasing sugar and spice and alcohol afterburn.

M: Viscous at first and a very pleasant crisp finish and increasing flavor after its long gone. A nice ride.

D: Nice, the 9.5% is not all that noticeable. Great with peanuts.

4.45/5  rDev +19.6%

Beer pours a nice amber colour, lots of yeast, and i nice looking head that quickly fades. Smells fruity, but with an underlying content of alcohol, it's pleasant, but lets you know that there is a true beer lying underneath. Taste is beautiful, a full bodies feel and the spices really come through, tastes great without letting the abnormally high alcohol content hit you, hoppiness is also a very big plus, like drinking a fruity tree. As previously stated, the feel is tremendous, and the drinkability is also exceptionally high, especially for a Tripel, which usually leaves me feeling like a it's a little strong to keep drinking, while i could drink this all day, and love it. This is easily one of the best beers I've ever had, and I cannot recommend it highly enough

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

I picked up a six-pack of this high alcohol beer at the brewery. This will set you back, reminds me of some of the German Weisse beers in the after taste. You will smell and taste the malts. It's complex enough to keep the drinking interesting. I like the mouth feel, makes you want to take another sip. Someone that only drinks Bud, will be set back with this one.

I like this one. (Of course, I'm into the second bottle, at 9+ABV, that may have something to do with it.)

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

this is my first taste of a Tripel style beer.

poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: hazy gold, with a small head of fizzy foam, doesn't stick around for long, but some frothy lacing remains.

S: flowery, yeast, and some bitter notes.

T: Pretty damn good, although I don't have anything to compare it too, not too bitter, but still has some hops to liven your tongue. Aftertaste is a mild hint of alcohol. Note: Does pack quite a punch, but is nothing like I wouldn't have expected judging by the alcohol content.

M: Fairly smooth. a bit creamy, a tad carbonated.

D: I enjoyed it, although I'm anxious to try more of the style, that being said, I would def. have again.

3.99/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours out golden straw in color that is very translucent with a nice three-finger head that is white in color with OK retention and some decent lacing. There is some nice yeasties floating around. Looks very nice.

Smell is of nice Belgian yeast, bananas, some spices I can't name but they are there. Really smells of a decent Belgian triple.

Taste is that great Belgian yeast one would expect in a similar yeast like a hefe. Really my favorite yeast smell ant taste. Nice banana flavor with some nice spices that are very noticeable and really add to the beer.

Mouthfeel is more than thin but not thick. I guess I would say semi-thick due to the carbonation from the great yeast.

Overall I am a sucker for most Belgian abby beers and this doesn't disappoint. Really tastes like a nice replication of the true thing for an American replication. Really love this beer and highly recommend it. To be truthful... I am just a sucker for any beer that has this nice yeasty taste. I just love these beers.

4.47/5  rDev +20.2%

As good of a brewery as Victory is, this tripel is a good example of their excellence. A sharp, spicy beer where the alcohol content kicks your ass if you don't watch it.

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

Aroma: The aroma is fruity and I can smell the bananas.

Appearance: Pours deep yellow with an off white head. The head dissipates quickly. The clarity is good, despite the yeast that is suspended in the glass.

Flavor: The initial taste is lightly spicy and dominated by the fruitiness.

Mouth feel: It has a medium-light body that is creamy. The carbonation in minimum hence the effervescent must be from the alcohol.

Overall Impression: I enjoyed this beer very much. The fruitiness and the lightness in body make this an easy beer to drink. The 9.5% ABV adds the danger, I can see limiting myself to 1 or 2 when out, or just staying home and drinking a few more than 2.

3.37/5  rDev -9.4%

Victory only recently came to town, and I've been enjoying Hop Wallop, Storm King, and Hop Devil. So, had to try this one out. I've only recently acquired a real taste for Belgian brews and their use of candied sugars, but judging by the tripels I've had recently, Golden Monkey does not epitomize the style or take it to any extraordinary level.

It's quite good, certainly way above average, but I have to say that it isn't the best I've tasted, so I can't give it high marks.

A: Pours clear gold, almost no head retention. Decent carbonation, but not as much as I'd expect from a tripel.

S: Very citrusy, a little "yeasty", with pronounced esters.

T: Sweet and tart at once. Very lemony and spicy. Mostly lemons is what I'm getting. With an aftertaste of lemons.

M: A little bit dry, but smooth. The citrus character and high abv makes it a bit solvent-like, burning the tongue slightly, but has a nice warming quality that extends down the throat.

D: Very drinkable, but god damn this stuff is strong. After one 12oz bottle I'm feeling the buzz. I'm not complaining or anything, but I think if I were going to spend the night drinking this I'd have to plan on having someone carry me to my bed.

3.71/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Golden and translucent with a 1 inch thick lingering head and bubbles swirling throughout the glass, it looks like a storm
S: bubblegum, some citrus fruits also, almost reminiscent of belgian whites and even the german style weisse, but much milder and kind of boring
T: not as much bubblegum as in the nose but it is sweet and i can definitely taste the cloves and some maltiness, and due to the high ABV it has a strong alcohol flavor that sits on the back of my tongue
M: a good amount of carbonation that moves quickly from the front to the back of my tongue, sits for a moment and stings a little, and is gone as quickly as it came
D: overall a good tasting beer, and at such a high alcohol content (9.5% ABV) it is pretty easy to drink. I think it is a decent beer...not the best from Victory (which I love) but in a variety pack it is a good change of pace

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

Reviewed from notes of 3/11/11

Received from my friend Orlando in a 6 pack grab.

A = Light amber color. Lager looking in appearance. Good carbonation. 2 finger light froth. Watery lacing.

S = Belgian tripple like aroma. Alcohol aroma present. Notes of corriander and citrus.

T = Noticeable corriander, orange and apple.

M = Very smooth on the front and back end. Apple cider like body.

O = I liked this. Very drinkable. Good approach to an American brewed Belgian. Would go nicely with sushi and sashimi.

2.16/5  rDev -41.9%

Calling this a triple is unfair, it is shallow with none of the subtly of a fully fermented beer.
The appearance is clear and golden, so clear it can't even hold head let alone flavor.
It is almost lager like in its lack of gravitas. I have heard of other beers called girlie beers, this is a virtual beer pretty only for a picture. I wish they delivered more.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Very clear amber tone with a 1/2" head that goes away quickly and then is almost non existent. Slight lacing that doesn't stick around long.

Smells of fruit, spice, malts. I've only had one Tripel before, so I can't speak to how well this translates into the style they are going for, but it's a decent winter warmer for sure. Sort of a fruity taste up front, with some alcohol warmth on the finish.

This has a fairly light mouthfeel and is drinkable enough for the 9.5% ABV. I think, even though you can feel some alcohol warmth, this beer hides that large ABV percentage fairly well.

Again, I can't really compare this to other Tripels, because it's not a style I'm all that familiar with. It does not taste anything like the Chimay Tripel, that I can say for sure. It almost reminds me of a west coast IPA in a sense, not because of a huge hop presence or bitterness, but more because of the citrus/fruit flavors.

Worth checking out at any rate, but not my favorite offering from Victory by a long shot.

4.54/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Banana and clove flavors in the aroma and taste. Not much in terms of "added spice". Yeast is dominant flavor. Not a huge flavor and no alcohol noted for a tripel with 8.7%

3.98/5  rDev +7%

Pours a hazy gold with a moderate white head, quickly reducing to fine lacing. The bubbling lends the appearance of strong carbonation, although this isn't as prominent upon tasting. In a straight pint glass, it's very inviting. Smells tangy and of spices; clear clove aroma with a hint of banana. This comes through in the taste, with an upfront almost candy-like sweet/tartness. Drinks with a medium/light body and has a fruity and alcoholic finish. Spices linger for a bit. It is hard to smell, taste, or otherwise detect the hops in this beer. Beyond 2 or 3 and I've had my fill.

Overall, I enjoy this American take on the Belgian Tripel and will go back to it in the future, when the mood strikes me. Smooth, fairly drinkable, and definitely with a character of its own.

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%

bought a six pack for quadfest 09 at radford.

A- nice light golden. verry bubbly

S- very strong yeast smell. some wheat in there along with some slight fruit.

T- has the yeast of a triple but the not the fruitiness that i sometimes get. Almost a bitter aftertaste.

M- lingers on the toungue

D- id say not hard to do

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

There were no Belgian beers in a local grocery store, so I got a six-pack of this beer, expecting a mediocre pseudo-tripel with too much spiciness and no depth.

Oh, how mistaken was I!

The beer poured an attractive deep tangerine color; minimal lacing; nice, attractive, subdued smell.
The taste is king: very balanced, moderately hoppy, with enough malty chewiness to identify this as a true tripel. It drinks like a solid example of a Belgian style. Not as rich as some of my favorites, such as Affligem Tripel, but more than adequate if real Belgians aren't available.

I'll be coming back to it.

2.8/5  rDev -24.7%

Appears light gold. A golden monkey i would have expected to be a bit darker, like a Buddha statue.

Smells like a subdued wheat/banana/fruit profile. Good because I don't like the heady fruit smells of the wheat type, but this might be considered a very light aroma for its class. Still, some other stuff (tiny spice) in there beyond straight wheat. Props for that.

Tastes like a wheat beer. With maybe too much bitterness and sweetness for the smells going on.

Mouthfeel pulls through. Like the other wheatbeer taste of the night, this has a great body. Silky, mouth-filling texture.

Drinkability, to me, is low. Something about this is a bit rough. But there would be others who dig this.

3.72/5  rDev 0%

Once you pour this stuff you notice a lot of alcohol. I just got done with a winter activity in the snow and this beer fit the bill. very spicy, citrus like. Coriander or clove. I like to have this on hand for the opportunity to sip something nice next to the fireplace. A great Winter drink, but not more than one at a time. Tastes similar to a Belgian White I tried in Harrisburg, only with much more alcohol.If you're going to drink this beer out, make sure you can get someone else to drive.

3.4/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks to mikereaser for passing this one on.

A - Pours cludy yellow. Thick head that disappates quickly

S - Very hoppy, hint of cloves and banana

T - The hops hit first, followed by a definite banana aftertaste. The alcohol warms the back of the throat. I found the banana to be more pronounced as it warmed.

M - Dry mouthfeel, good carbonation.

D - A little too spicy and hoppy for me to have more than 1. The ABV limits its use as a session beer.

3.42/5  rDev -8.1%

A - Pretty average looking, looks like any other Belgian style. Hazy yellow with about and inch of head that quickly goes away.

S - Slightly floral ,bread , artificial banana, slight hop aroma.

T - Spices, clove, bubble gum, bread, yeast, alcohol. Hard hitting at first with the spices and alcohol as primary flavors. Slightly burns then calms down to leave a slight lingering spiciness.

M - A little bit dry, medium bodied, high carbonation.

It is a good beer and I respect Victory for making this but I do not think it is anywhere near the best of the style. It seems too unbalanced overall and not exactly a Belgian, I guess that is why they call it "Belgian inspired" on the bottle.

I would drink this if offered and will probably by it again but I will not buy it often since there are so many better.

2.96/5  rDev -20.4%

750 ml. bottle poured into a Goblet

A: A hazy golden/amber. A two finger head that fades quickly leaving a sudsy film and inconsistent lacing.

S: Very subtle, a bit yeasty with a hint of sweetness reminiscent of a banana bubblegum.

T: . There is a yeasty, slightly soapy taste followed by a subtle sour fruity background. There is also a hint of spice and alcohol heat on the finish.

M: The first pour tasted a little over carbonated, but ended with a buttery dry finish on the mouth.

O: Tripels are not my first, second or third choices of consumption. However, I have had others and this fell just a little bit on the short side for me. The alcohol content does seem to sneak up on you.

Audio for this review: Beastie Boys - Check Your Head

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

I bought this on a whim, having never had a tripel before. I tried it, and then forgot about it in my fridge with all of the other beer in there. When I had originally tried it, I didn't have the proper glassware... now I do.

Poured into a glass that I got with the Tripel Karmeliet, the head did not last very long, which was a bit disappointing, but had an extraordinary orange hue to the body, exactly the color of the orange fruit, The head literally disappeared. The spices are very evident throughout, especially at the end of the bottle pour.

The smell is pretty nice, definitely Belgian. Not a whole lot of aroma, due to the lack of head, but what is there is nice. Sweet.

The first thing you notice when you taste it is the alcohol. The 9.5% abv is very evident. Nice, sweet, and a bit fruity. The spices are a bit jumbled, but nonetheless a nice touch.

The mouthfeel is pretty nice... smooth. Rolls around on the tongue, and never lets go. I like it.

Drinkability is a little lower that I would normally have rated, simply because the alcohol burns a little on the way down. Two a night at the very max.

All in all... I like it. I recommend it.

3.22/5  rDev -13.4%

Though not great, it is a go to for me when I want an inexpensive tripel that is not bad.

a: golden yellow...slight haze, good white head when poured, but quickly fades

s: clove and banana with a floral tone as well

t: more clove/banana, spicy (pepper? Coriander?) sweet, but with alcohol burn slight

m: pretty even body

d: pretty good...again, a go-to cheap tripel

4.45/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a lovely golden yellow. Not much of a head, but I probably just poured it really terribly into my glass.

The smells is amongst the best in terms of the tripels I've had.

A rich bold yeasty, spicy smell with some fruity backup scents. Gorgeous.

The taste....YES. A nice spicy, bread and yeast sort of blend. Bold, but not too overpowering. Absolutely exceptional.

Smooth in the mouth considering pretty decent carbonation.

Drinkability is perfect. Exceptionally smooth for 9% abv, and a taste I love to come back to more and more. Probably my second favorite tripel. Great beer!

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured into tulip glass.

A: gold, slightly cloudy, decent head and retention

S: Orange, fruity

T: Subtle orange, spice

M: Low carb, dry finish, low body

D: Perhaps I'd have a second, but no guarantee. There was some malt character and spiciness coming through.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown