Golden Monkey | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Golden MonkeyGolden Monkey

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: Tripel

A magical, mystical Monkey whose golden sole glows with the wisdom of the ages. This radiant ale is rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing. Our Golden Monkey is both playfully delightful and profoundly satisfying. Exotic spice from the East rounds out this global journey to joy. Get on board. This Monkey's bound for glory!

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Reviews: 1,761 | Ratings: 5,474
4.15/5  rDev +11.6%

bought a six pack for quadfest 09 at radford.

A- nice light golden. verry bubbly

S- very strong yeast smell. some wheat in there along with some slight fruit.

T- has the yeast of a triple but the not the fruitiness that i sometimes get. Almost a bitter aftertaste.

M- lingers on the toungue

D- id say not hard to do

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

There were no Belgian beers in a local grocery store, so I got a six-pack of this beer, expecting a mediocre pseudo-tripel with too much spiciness and no depth.

Oh, how mistaken was I!

The beer poured an attractive deep tangerine color; minimal lacing; nice, attractive, subdued smell.
The taste is king: very balanced, moderately hoppy, with enough malty chewiness to identify this as a true tripel. It drinks like a solid example of a Belgian style. Not as rich as some of my favorites, such as Affligem Tripel, but more than adequate if real Belgians aren't available.

I'll be coming back to it.

2.8/5  rDev -24.7%

Appears light gold. A golden monkey i would have expected to be a bit darker, like a Buddha statue.

Smells like a subdued wheat/banana/fruit profile. Good because I don't like the heady fruit smells of the wheat type, but this might be considered a very light aroma for its class. Still, some other stuff (tiny spice) in there beyond straight wheat. Props for that.

Tastes like a wheat beer. With maybe too much bitterness and sweetness for the smells going on.

Mouthfeel pulls through. Like the other wheatbeer taste of the night, this has a great body. Silky, mouth-filling texture.

Drinkability, to me, is low. Something about this is a bit rough. But there would be others who dig this.

3.72/5  rDev 0%

Once you pour this stuff you notice a lot of alcohol. I just got done with a winter activity in the snow and this beer fit the bill. very spicy, citrus like. Coriander or clove. I like to have this on hand for the opportunity to sip something nice next to the fireplace. A great Winter drink, but not more than one at a time. Tastes similar to a Belgian White I tried in Harrisburg, only with much more alcohol.If you're going to drink this beer out, make sure you can get someone else to drive.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks to mikereaser for passing this one on.

A - Pours cludy yellow. Thick head that disappates quickly

S - Very hoppy, hint of cloves and banana

T - The hops hit first, followed by a definite banana aftertaste. The alcohol warms the back of the throat. I found the banana to be more pronounced as it warmed.

M - Dry mouthfeel, good carbonation.

D - A little too spicy and hoppy for me to have more than 1. The ABV limits its use as a session beer.

3.42/5  rDev -8.1%

A - Pretty average looking, looks like any other Belgian style. Hazy yellow with about and inch of head that quickly goes away.

S - Slightly floral ,bread , artificial banana, slight hop aroma.

T - Spices, clove, bubble gum, bread, yeast, alcohol. Hard hitting at first with the spices and alcohol as primary flavors. Slightly burns then calms down to leave a slight lingering spiciness.

M - A little bit dry, medium bodied, high carbonation.

It is a good beer and I respect Victory for making this but I do not think it is anywhere near the best of the style. It seems too unbalanced overall and not exactly a Belgian, I guess that is why they call it "Belgian inspired" on the bottle.

I would drink this if offered and will probably by it again but I will not buy it often since there are so many better.

2.96/5  rDev -20.4%

750 ml. bottle poured into a Goblet

A: A hazy golden/amber. A two finger head that fades quickly leaving a sudsy film and inconsistent lacing.

S: Very subtle, a bit yeasty with a hint of sweetness reminiscent of a banana bubblegum.

T: . There is a yeasty, slightly soapy taste followed by a subtle sour fruity background. There is also a hint of spice and alcohol heat on the finish.

M: The first pour tasted a little over carbonated, but ended with a buttery dry finish on the mouth.

O: Tripels are not my first, second or third choices of consumption. However, I have had others and this fell just a little bit on the short side for me. The alcohol content does seem to sneak up on you.

Audio for this review: Beastie Boys - Check Your Head

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

I bought this on a whim, having never had a tripel before. I tried it, and then forgot about it in my fridge with all of the other beer in there. When I had originally tried it, I didn't have the proper glassware... now I do.

Poured into a glass that I got with the Tripel Karmeliet, the head did not last very long, which was a bit disappointing, but had an extraordinary orange hue to the body, exactly the color of the orange fruit, The head literally disappeared. The spices are very evident throughout, especially at the end of the bottle pour.

The smell is pretty nice, definitely Belgian. Not a whole lot of aroma, due to the lack of head, but what is there is nice. Sweet.

The first thing you notice when you taste it is the alcohol. The 9.5% abv is very evident. Nice, sweet, and a bit fruity. The spices are a bit jumbled, but nonetheless a nice touch.

The mouthfeel is pretty nice... smooth. Rolls around on the tongue, and never lets go. I like it.

Drinkability is a little lower that I would normally have rated, simply because the alcohol burns a little on the way down. Two a night at the very max.

All in all... I like it. I recommend it.

3.22/5  rDev -13.4%

Though not great, it is a go to for me when I want an inexpensive tripel that is not bad.

a: golden yellow...slight haze, good white head when poured, but quickly fades

s: clove and banana with a floral tone as well

t: more clove/banana, spicy (pepper? Coriander?) sweet, but with alcohol burn slight

m: pretty even body

d: pretty good...again, a go-to cheap tripel

4.45/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a lovely golden yellow. Not much of a head, but I probably just poured it really terribly into my glass.

The smells is amongst the best in terms of the tripels I've had.

A rich bold yeasty, spicy smell with some fruity backup scents. Gorgeous.

The taste....YES. A nice spicy, bread and yeast sort of blend. Bold, but not too overpowering. Absolutely exceptional.

Smooth in the mouth considering pretty decent carbonation.

Drinkability is perfect. Exceptionally smooth for 9% abv, and a taste I love to come back to more and more. Probably my second favorite tripel. Great beer!

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured into tulip glass.

A: gold, slightly cloudy, decent head and retention

S: Orange, fruity

T: Subtle orange, spice

M: Low carb, dry finish, low body

D: Perhaps I'd have a second, but no guarantee. There was some malt character and spiciness coming through.

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%

The monkey is cloyingly sweet and will make you drunker then a monkey before you know it and from there a bit of a what I think about the good but somewhat over the top beer. The monkey pours a nice golden color with a head the flairs up for a few seconds but descends to nothing but a ring around the color lace. The smell is of a carnival full of funnel cake sugar and cotton candy downright sweet to the nostrils and will bring you right back to your childhood of riding unsafe rides at the county fair. The initial taste surprisingly is not sweet but more of a dry pepper then that where that ends and it takes you on the roller coaster of sickeningly sweet, which by the way isn’t a bad thing to me, malts and slight hint of honey on bread. This beer more so then any other reminds me of my childhood of going to the fair and eating crap foods and thus is overly drinkable and will remind you of your job in morning when you walk in there with a head split and kidneys of stone. Good beer none the less drink it and remember some past times even though you wont remember what happened the night you drank it.

3.16/5  rDev -15.1%

A - Gold and shiny with noticeable suspended particles; head only comes with a hard pour after that it dissipates quickly, lace is nonexistent.

S - An unpleasant sweet grass smell with notes of caramel.

T - Grass and caramel, maybe hints of toffee. Definite alcohol. There's a lingering taste like you just mowed the lawn.

M - Very light, average carbonation

D - Rather harsh considering the lingering taste and heavy alcohol notes. Only 2 of these max.

3.4/5  rDev -8.6%

A - Great lookin' beer! Light yellow with a foamy white head which retains nicely considering the higher abv.

S - Wonderfully sweet with a hint of sour (a good sour, not a spoiled sour). Smells like sweet tarts, bannanas, and yeast.

t - Not too shabby, but honnestly it doesn't impress me too much. An overload on sweet flavors (which is not a bad thing really) with a nice kick of hops (which I wish there was more of) and then finishes just slightly dry with an alcohol punch.

m - pretty drinkable. it's not so sweet with alcohol that you can't go to town on this beer.

o - Not dissapointed, but not a favorite. I would go for this again, but I think now knowing exactly what this beer is like, I feel that I would have to be in a certain mood for it. What mood is that? I'm not too sure yet.

3.33/5  rDev -10.5%

I had high hopes since I am a tripple lover!!

Beer poured a semi cloudy golden color with a finger head, in an over-sized wine glass.

I think what turned me off on this beer was the spices, too much cloves, the cinnamon was evident but not overwhelming! Had great body and the %9.4 ABV was not known.

I barely finished one bottle, thanks to a friend for sharing I don;t see myself buying a 6pack of this. I will stick with a La Fin Du Monde or New Belgium Tripple!!

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%

A - pours into a clear light golden color with a full foamy head

S - smells very citrisy and malty

T - a bitter taste with malt which tries to be Belgian white...

M - leaves an after taste that just doesnt sit right with me, almost forcing myself to deal with it

D - pretty drinkable i'd say, that after taste is kind of bothering me as i drink it though....to avoid it, you must drink more...

the idea behind this beer was the Belgian white style brewing....they kind of did it but not too well i think...very malty with citris and other spices that accumulate into an aftertaste for the tasteless....ok well maybe not that bad, but still its different...I can still drink it and enjoy it to some point and i think the fact that its like a Belgian white that i can stand it...in conclusion, its alright, just alright..

1.64/5  rDev -55.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

Hands down the most disgusting beer I've ever tasted. Pours a neon lemon-lime gatorade yellow. Smells like bubble gum. Overwhelmingly strong. Tastes like bubble gum, pine needles, and wood. Way too strongly hopped - not sure if fits the style, but this beer is just gross. Unpalatable even. Read the other reviews to see if it's something you'd like. Mine is biased in the numbers, but I couldn't even finish this one.

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

This is a great beer for all kinds. It is a spicy, clear beer, but it goes down very easy. It has an interesting, complex flavor, leaning toward a hoppy edge. It is a tripel ale, which i have no idea what it means. i love the head on it, but its not great. I think overall the beer is dynamite, considering its high alchohol content (10%) for an ale. Overall, very impressed, but you might not wanna down a twelve pack.

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle, from Kappy’s

Appearance: golden, with great carbonation. One finger high head with a little lacing.

Aroma: Smells like a tripel – clove, spice, and citrus

Taste and Mouthfeel: smooth and creamy. Clove and coriander, with a slight banana taste. Malty, with little hops

Drinkability: This is a pleasant beer, and I’d never turn one down. However, there are better ones in this style.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Now that's a pretty sweet lookin' bottle if I might say so myself.
Pours a cloudy gold with a temporary head that falls quick.

Smells a bit sweet and fruity. Some spicey aromas too.

The taste has some zest to it with a range of mixed fruit and quite a bit of spice. The alcohol definitely swims on the tongue on the way down. Tons of flavor in this tripel.

Seemed to have some hearty body to it. Carbonation was mild and balanced well with the flavors.

An enjoyable brew to sip on, however somewhat strong. Kinda like that about it though. Surely not a pussy brew.

3.27/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours a soft orange, with little bubbles and very little head. Coriander completely dominates, with a slight bit of grass and possibly honey. Taste is again coriander, yet the taste is a bit more like hot dog coriander. Spices are noticed, but not on the forefront at all. Pepper is incredibly present at the finish. A weird attack by a sourness that I'm not sure exactly where it comes from. My least favorite brew by Victory, from a producer I respect quite a bit.

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Pours a pleasing pale golden straw color with a moderate head. There is more retention then expected for a tripel.

S: Fruit aromas are the most dominant aspect, but there is an attractive complexity which includes an alcohol spiciness and yeasty essence.

T: A delectable spicy fruit zest paints the palate. The spicy aspect produced by the alcohol works excellently with the fruity banana clove flavor.

M: A bold carbonation does well to administer the flavors and gives the spice flavor a little more snap. Astonishingly, the alcohol does not come across as a burn like most high ABV brews.

O: The combination of an enjoyable taste and lack of alcohol burn makes this beer relatively easy to drink, so remember to proceed with caution. Victory is one of my favorite breweries and this is one of my choice beers when available. This is a refreshing tripel at an affordable price.

3.31/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Bright golden color with medium-high carbonation visible, 1/2 inch head.

S: Yeast and some slight hops.

T: Honey and tamed hops.

M: Medium body and carbonation. Slight alcohol finish.

O: My first Tripel, and I'm glad it is local and available year-round. A heavy punch for the price, good enough to try again.

4.23/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a 750 ml at Costco in Indy for around $6. I wasn't expecting much but really enjoyed it. Just a tick below La Fin du Monde and a great beer for the price.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

Complex beer, probably on purpose to mask the 9.5% ABV. Full aroma of spice, fruit, malt, bit of hops and some alcohol. Taste is deep, medium body with hints of many things floating around the palette. Spicy, sweet, malt, carbonation, fruit, etc etc. You just have to try it. Another beer that can sneak up on you if you're not paying attention and go through a few bottles... but its oh so worth it.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown