Golden Monkey | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Golden MonkeyGolden Monkey

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States

Style: Tripel

A magical, mystical Monkey whose golden sole glows with the wisdom of the ages. This radiant ale is rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing. Our Golden Monkey is both playfully delightful and profoundly satisfying. Exotic spice from the East rounds out this global journey to joy. Get on board. This Monkey's bound for glory!

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Reviews: 1,766 | Ratings: 5,510
3.33/5  rDev -10.5%

I had high hopes since I am a tripple lover!!

Beer poured a semi cloudy golden color with a finger head, in an over-sized wine glass.

I think what turned me off on this beer was the spices, too much cloves, the cinnamon was evident but not overwhelming! Had great body and the %9.4 ABV was not known.

I barely finished one bottle, thanks to a friend for sharing I don;t see myself buying a 6pack of this. I will stick with a La Fin Du Monde or New Belgium Tripple!!

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%

A - pours into a clear light golden color with a full foamy head

S - smells very citrisy and malty

T - a bitter taste with malt which tries to be Belgian white...

M - leaves an after taste that just doesnt sit right with me, almost forcing myself to deal with it

D - pretty drinkable i'd say, that after taste is kind of bothering me as i drink it though....to avoid it, you must drink more...

the idea behind this beer was the Belgian white style brewing....they kind of did it but not too well i think...very malty with citris and other spices that accumulate into an aftertaste for the tasteless....ok well maybe not that bad, but still its different...I can still drink it and enjoy it to some point and i think the fact that its like a Belgian white that i can stand it...in conclusion, its alright, just alright..

1.64/5  rDev -55.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

Hands down the most disgusting beer I've ever tasted. Pours a neon lemon-lime gatorade yellow. Smells like bubble gum. Overwhelmingly strong. Tastes like bubble gum, pine needles, and wood. Way too strongly hopped - not sure if fits the style, but this beer is just gross. Unpalatable even. Read the other reviews to see if it's something you'd like. Mine is biased in the numbers, but I couldn't even finish this one.

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

This is a great beer for all kinds. It is a spicy, clear beer, but it goes down very easy. It has an interesting, complex flavor, leaning toward a hoppy edge. It is a tripel ale, which i have no idea what it means. i love the head on it, but its not great. I think overall the beer is dynamite, considering its high alchohol content (10%) for an ale. Overall, very impressed, but you might not wanna down a twelve pack.

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle, from Kappy’s

Appearance: golden, with great carbonation. One finger high head with a little lacing.

Aroma: Smells like a tripel – clove, spice, and citrus

Taste and Mouthfeel: smooth and creamy. Clove and coriander, with a slight banana taste. Malty, with little hops

Drinkability: This is a pleasant beer, and I’d never turn one down. However, there are better ones in this style.

3.4/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Now that's a pretty sweet lookin' bottle if I might say so myself.
Pours a cloudy gold with a temporary head that falls quick.

Smells a bit sweet and fruity. Some spicey aromas too.

The taste has some zest to it with a range of mixed fruit and quite a bit of spice. The alcohol definitely swims on the tongue on the way down. Tons of flavor in this tripel.

Seemed to have some hearty body to it. Carbonation was mild and balanced well with the flavors.

An enjoyable brew to sip on, however somewhat strong. Kinda like that about it though. Surely not a pussy brew.

3.27/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours a soft orange, with little bubbles and very little head. Coriander completely dominates, with a slight bit of grass and possibly honey. Taste is again coriander, yet the taste is a bit more like hot dog coriander. Spices are noticed, but not on the forefront at all. Pepper is incredibly present at the finish. A weird attack by a sourness that I'm not sure exactly where it comes from. My least favorite brew by Victory, from a producer I respect quite a bit.

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Pours a pleasing pale golden straw color with a moderate head. There is more retention then expected for a tripel.

S: Fruit aromas are the most dominant aspect, but there is an attractive complexity which includes an alcohol spiciness and yeasty essence.

T: A delectable spicy fruit zest paints the palate. The spicy aspect produced by the alcohol works excellently with the fruity banana clove flavor.

M: A bold carbonation does well to administer the flavors and gives the spice flavor a little more snap. Astonishingly, the alcohol does not come across as a burn like most high ABV brews.

O: The combination of an enjoyable taste and lack of alcohol burn makes this beer relatively easy to drink, so remember to proceed with caution. Victory is one of my favorite breweries and this is one of my choice beers when available. This is a refreshing tripel at an affordable price.

3.31/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Bright golden color with medium-high carbonation visible, 1/2 inch head.

S: Yeast and some slight hops.

T: Honey and tamed hops.

M: Medium body and carbonation. Slight alcohol finish.

O: My first Tripel, and I'm glad it is local and available year-round. A heavy punch for the price, good enough to try again.

4.23/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a 750 ml at Costco in Indy for around $6. I wasn't expecting much but really enjoyed it. Just a tick below La Fin du Monde and a great beer for the price.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

Complex beer, probably on purpose to mask the 9.5% ABV. Full aroma of spice, fruit, malt, bit of hops and some alcohol. Taste is deep, medium body with hints of many things floating around the palette. Spicy, sweet, malt, carbonation, fruit, etc etc. You just have to try it. Another beer that can sneak up on you if you're not paying attention and go through a few bottles... but its oh so worth it.

2.72/5  rDev -26.9%

Pours straw clear with some sediment flecks quickly dissapaiting head, little bit of lacing as it goes down. Taste is banana and kind of a yeast funk and alcohol. Has kind of a homebrew yeast taste. I was hoping for something better from this brewery and style.

4.5/5  rDev +21%

I just picked up a 4-pack of Victory's DirtWolf IIPA only to find that someone had swapped one with a Golden Monkey. This was my first time trying Victory. Based on the reviews, I didn't have much expectation. However, I am very pleasantly surprised. This beer is incredibly balanced for being 9.5% in my opinion. Some reviewers are saying that it tastes very strong, I didn't find that to be the case at all. Sweet and creamy tripel. Paired incredibly well with spicy food.

poured into a chimay goblet. pours a hazy almost straw like color with sediment floating around and carbonation streaming from the bottom.smells fairly floral with bready and caramel notes. taste and mouthfeel - fairly medium to full body with some bitter hops up front and bready almost funky maltiness. overall a middle of the road tripel that would be alright for newbies to the style to try, but if you've had any of the belgian ones like westmalle, chmay white, or a ton of others it definently doesn't hold a candle. not half as complex as those.

4.09/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is a nice afterwork relaxer.

I poured it from a bottle into a pint glass.

appearance: honey gold with some light flakey sediment. Large bubbled 1/4 in head goes away in a minute or two.

smell: A little bit of peach cobbler. Fleshy fruit and white bread.

Taste: Very peachy with a bit of nut skin bitterness. Nicely balanced sweet v bitter. Kind of like what I always want sweet tea to be.... The high alcohol does start to come out on the finish... but it stays in your mouth with out starting to burn your nose... more of a brandy than a whiskey...

mouthfeel: It's a bit thin for a belgian... the carbonation seems more "fizzy" than "velvety". Not a deal breaker by any means, but worth noting.

overall: a really nice, easy to find, reasonably priced beer that will not disappoint

comments: After reading other reviews I dug my bottle out of the recycling.... mine doesn't have a drink by date....

4.34/5  rDev +16.7%

first of all this is one of my favorite beers. huge flavor and lots of kick due to the high ABV. always worth your money.

pours with alot of head. i always get bottles and have found the head to be lighter compared to draft. this could be due to the goblet they pour into at the brewpub. hazey gold in color. appears to be a bright yellow around the edges but a deep golden orange in the center, almost like it's glowing. slight carbonation but not overactive like a seltzer.

smells unlike any typical beer. typical for a tripel i'm guessing, this is my first. lots of fruit hits the palette. hints of citrus and possibly banana?

very sweet when it first hits your mouth. sweetness quickly dissipates into a more flat dry taste. aftertaste is long and lingering with an almagomation of all the clues given in it's smell and taste.

feels a touch heavy. almost like a thin syrup much akin to guinness or a bods but is much easier to move around. slight crunchiness to it as well.

after your first bottle you'll feel very warm and possibly light headed. if you've drank high ABV beers before the effects of the alchohol should be nothing but warming. i consider this a big beer because of it's high ABV and the richness of it's flavor. if you're new to belgian ales this would be a good introduction to the style. very easy drink.

3.77/5  rDev +1.3%

Serving temperature: 48F Glassware: One out of a chalice, one out of a tulip over the same session.

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle with Victory "V" and a six legged gold monkey on the front. Info. about the beer and bottled on date clear on the bottle.

Appearance: Very light copper with thin white head, poor lacing except in a tulip where the head initally billowed to ~3". Tiny bubbles observed making their way to the surface through somewhat murky liquid.

Smell: Light alcohol smell with a distinct breadiness & pungent spice aroma backing it. Orange peel? Maybe..

Taste: Yeasty backbone contributing complex spiciness of coriander, anise.. Unfortunately, that's where the complexity ends. Closes out with an easily identifiable bready taste turning into a sweet and slightly tart aftertaste. Alcoholic notes perk up throughout, although hidden pretty well.

Mouthfeel: Lighter carbonation & a slick, yet full-bodied mouthfeel make this brew go down pretty well. No stickiness after swallowing here, although the taste lingers a bit long.

Drinkability: See above- Not a real complex brew, especially within the style, but one I look forward to drinking regardless. Well hidden ABV of 9.5%.

End notes: Dissapointed with this brew. Victory is capable of so much better, I expected this to knock my socks off like all of their other offerings I've had so far- That's not to detract froim a solid brew, however. Just lacking that extra something.

4.47/5  rDev +20.2%

Poring a glass of golden, cloudy sunshine, I watch the yeasty sediment dance to the rhythm of the fading bubbly white head.

Inhaling an orchard of fruity tones and warm spices makes my mouth begin to water. I can’t wait to taste this exotic smelling brew.

A rich, chewy mouth feel confirms my expectations of a warming, delicately spiced drink. Is there a presence of sweet honey or wheat? Is there a teasing clove in there? These questions fade as I take another mouthful and smile as the warm alcohol falls down my throat and leaves a lingering hint of sweet maltiness and satisfying hops.

I love this beer.

1.45/5  rDev -61%

This was deffinetly not my style. After seeing other reviews I thought this would be a great beer. I was wrong this missed the mark for me on many levels. I thought the smell was not good and the taste was an assult on my taste buds. Again I am only giving my opinion and yes they are like A- holes we all have one and the usually stink. I think I would not like to have another one of these beers again. My friend thinks this beer is great. His taste buds must be off : ) If you are a fan of Trippels you may like this. I haven't gotten to that level yet. However I do like Quads.

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

Some triples have a foul after taste. Sprecher comes to mind. This one has a hint of that taste. With so many great triples out there I'm gonna keep trying them. Allagash triple is still my #1. West male is also really good.

3.32/5  rDev -10.8%

A-Nice, hazy golden yellow color with an average fluffy head.

S-This being my first foray into this type of beer, the smell took me by surprise. Sort of a flowery, spicy aroma hit, followed by a fruity hop smell.

T-Starts with a slightly sweet malt taste, which gives way to a spicy, fruity taste. Then it leaves off with just a hint of bitter hops, and a bit of alcohol.

M-Nice medium body which has a nice dry feel.

D-Not exactly the smoothest drinker, its not that bad either. You can tell its a bit higher in ABV.

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%

*12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.*

a: the beer is golden yellow with lots of sediment suspended throughout. it also has lots of head, but it dies off quickly.

s: it smells sweet, flowery, citrusry, spicy...

t: immediately, the beer is sweet and fruity-tasting. the finish is slightly bready and bitter. it's a good combination of a lot of subtle flavors.

m: medium-bodied, a good amount of carbonation.

d: this is incredibly drinkable for a beer with 9.5% abv.

I bought a six pack of this purely on a whim because I wanted to try a tripel. I left completely blown away and though I'm saving the last one for a bit of an occasion I cannot wait to buy another. This is the beer that got me into tripels which may now be one of my favorite styles of beer. In my experience, the following are the main characteristics of this excellence in a glass that Victory have made.

Pour- A lovely orange-gold color with about a finger or two of creamy and ever-so-slightly off-white froth for a head

Smell- A strong aroma which reminds me of good bread with sweet hints of assorted fruits given to it by the yeast (I'm a microbiologist, so it is very nice to smell what yeasts are like when not cultured on a laboratory growth medium)

Taste- It is worth noting that when I try a new beer, the first sip is always the best though the rest of the bottle isn't as good as the subsequent ones. This one hit me right from the get go with its rich malt flavor and the very broad array of other flavors brought to it by the spices and yeast. Altogether it tastes a bit like the world's best hot cross bun, bready malts and dark fruits all over with spices in the finish and an alcoholic whollop which is strong yet somehow subdued.

Mouth Feel- Miller High Life calls itself the "Champagne of Beers." If it's got half the carbonation as Golden Monkey I'll eat my hat.

Altogether this is easily one of my overall favorite beers. Drinking one is an occasion in and of itself as it tastes a bit like dessert and is the alcohol content equivalent of two or so "normal" beers. To the guys at victory, keep up the good work. Cheers.

3.81/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a decent Tripel, it doesn't do anything amazing, but does all things well. Actually a good value for the price. I do not recommend drinking it from the bottle (as others have mentioned - and as will happen when included in a variety pack), but rather from a wide mouthed glass.

2.95/5  rDev -20.7%

The very first beer of the Winking Lizard 2009 World Tour. Enjoyed at the Gateway location with a good friend.

Pulled from the well into a tulip. A crisp, shimmery golden pour with a quaint head.

A soft, whispy aroma of banana, apricot with a touch of warm, citrusy coriander. Could be a little more pronounced for my tastes, but pleasing none the less.

Following suit, the taste is a delicate citrus fruit and spice. The slight effervescence gives a slightly medium body to the beer, just enough to let you down.

Drinkable, subtle at 9.5%

For a triple, it almost delivers. Not a bad beer, but can do a lot better in the triple family.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown