Golden Monkey | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Tripel

A magical, mystical Monkey whose golden sole glows with the wisdom of the ages. This radiant ale is rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing. Our Golden Monkey is both playfully delightful and profoundly satisfying. Exotic spice from the East rounds out this global journey to joy. Get on board. This Monkey's bound for glory!

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Reviews: 1,775 | Ratings: 5,556
3.77/5  rDev +1.3%

Serving temperature: 48F Glassware: One out of a chalice, one out of a tulip over the same session.

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle with Victory "V" and a six legged gold monkey on the front. Info. about the beer and bottled on date clear on the bottle.

Appearance: Very light copper with thin white head, poor lacing except in a tulip where the head initally billowed to ~3". Tiny bubbles observed making their way to the surface through somewhat murky liquid.

Smell: Light alcohol smell with a distinct breadiness & pungent spice aroma backing it. Orange peel? Maybe..

Taste: Yeasty backbone contributing complex spiciness of coriander, anise.. Unfortunately, that's where the complexity ends. Closes out with an easily identifiable bready taste turning into a sweet and slightly tart aftertaste. Alcoholic notes perk up throughout, although hidden pretty well.

Mouthfeel: Lighter carbonation & a slick, yet full-bodied mouthfeel make this brew go down pretty well. No stickiness after swallowing here, although the taste lingers a bit long.

Drinkability: See above- Not a real complex brew, especially within the style, but one I look forward to drinking regardless. Well hidden ABV of 9.5%.

End notes: Dissapointed with this brew. Victory is capable of so much better, I expected this to knock my socks off like all of their other offerings I've had so far- That's not to detract froim a solid brew, however. Just lacking that extra something.

4.47/5  rDev +20.2%

Poring a glass of golden, cloudy sunshine, I watch the yeasty sediment dance to the rhythm of the fading bubbly white head.

Inhaling an orchard of fruity tones and warm spices makes my mouth begin to water. I can’t wait to taste this exotic smelling brew.

A rich, chewy mouth feel confirms my expectations of a warming, delicately spiced drink. Is there a presence of sweet honey or wheat? Is there a teasing clove in there? These questions fade as I take another mouthful and smile as the warm alcohol falls down my throat and leaves a lingering hint of sweet maltiness and satisfying hops.

I love this beer.

1.45/5  rDev -61%

This was deffinetly not my style. After seeing other reviews I thought this would be a great beer. I was wrong this missed the mark for me on many levels. I thought the smell was not good and the taste was an assult on my taste buds. Again I am only giving my opinion and yes they are like A- holes we all have one and the usually stink. I think I would not like to have another one of these beers again. My friend thinks this beer is great. His taste buds must be off : ) If you are a fan of Trippels you may like this. I haven't gotten to that level yet. However I do like Quads.

2.48/5  rDev -33.3%

I generally like Victory brews. This one I did not. I felt the color was not appealing, the mouth feel watery and taste of bitterness did not sit well with me. I am not sure what it is but the bitter after taste over powered the experience of this brew for me.

4.17/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beer is golden colored with normal head retention. Smell is spicy yeast and sweet malt with some hops. Alcohol is there, but expected and not too hot. Spicy yeast characteristics with sweetness and malt flavors hit first. There's a moderate amount of bitterness, but it's on the higher end of this style. Not my favorite tripel, but I like this beer a lot, and stock it in my beer fridge pretty consistently.

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

Some triples have a foul after taste. Sprecher comes to mind. This one has a hint of that taste. With so many great triples out there I'm gonna keep trying them. Allagash triple is still my #1. West male is also really good.

3.32/5  rDev -10.8%

A-Nice, hazy golden yellow color with an average fluffy head.

S-This being my first foray into this type of beer, the smell took me by surprise. Sort of a flowery, spicy aroma hit, followed by a fruity hop smell.

T-Starts with a slightly sweet malt taste, which gives way to a spicy, fruity taste. Then it leaves off with just a hint of bitter hops, and a bit of alcohol.

M-Nice medium body which has a nice dry feel.

D-Not exactly the smoothest drinker, its not that bad either. You can tell its a bit higher in ABV.

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%

*12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.*

a: the beer is golden yellow with lots of sediment suspended throughout. it also has lots of head, but it dies off quickly.

s: it smells sweet, flowery, citrusry, spicy...

t: immediately, the beer is sweet and fruity-tasting. the finish is slightly bready and bitter. it's a good combination of a lot of subtle flavors.

m: medium-bodied, a good amount of carbonation.

d: this is incredibly drinkable for a beer with 9.5% abv.

I bought a six pack of this purely on a whim because I wanted to try a tripel. I left completely blown away and though I'm saving the last one for a bit of an occasion I cannot wait to buy another. This is the beer that got me into tripels which may now be one of my favorite styles of beer. In my experience, the following are the main characteristics of this excellence in a glass that Victory have made.

Pour- A lovely orange-gold color with about a finger or two of creamy and ever-so-slightly off-white froth for a head

Smell- A strong aroma which reminds me of good bread with sweet hints of assorted fruits given to it by the yeast (I'm a microbiologist, so it is very nice to smell what yeasts are like when not cultured on a laboratory growth medium)

Taste- It is worth noting that when I try a new beer, the first sip is always the best though the rest of the bottle isn't as good as the subsequent ones. This one hit me right from the get go with its rich malt flavor and the very broad array of other flavors brought to it by the spices and yeast. Altogether it tastes a bit like the world's best hot cross bun, bready malts and dark fruits all over with spices in the finish and an alcoholic whollop which is strong yet somehow subdued.

Mouth Feel- Miller High Life calls itself the "Champagne of Beers." If it's got half the carbonation as Golden Monkey I'll eat my hat.

Altogether this is easily one of my overall favorite beers. Drinking one is an occasion in and of itself as it tastes a bit like dessert and is the alcohol content equivalent of two or so "normal" beers. To the guys at victory, keep up the good work. Cheers.

3.81/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a decent Tripel, it doesn't do anything amazing, but does all things well. Actually a good value for the price. I do not recommend drinking it from the bottle (as others have mentioned - and as will happen when included in a variety pack), but rather from a wide mouthed glass.

2.95/5  rDev -20.7%

The very first beer of the Winking Lizard 2009 World Tour. Enjoyed at the Gateway location with a good friend.

Pulled from the well into a tulip. A crisp, shimmery golden pour with a quaint head.

A soft, whispy aroma of banana, apricot with a touch of warm, citrusy coriander. Could be a little more pronounced for my tastes, but pleasing none the less.

Following suit, the taste is a delicate citrus fruit and spice. The slight effervescence gives a slightly medium body to the beer, just enough to let you down.

Drinkable, subtle at 9.5%

For a triple, it almost delivers. Not a bad beer, but can do a lot better in the triple family.

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

I was about to grab some Victory Hop Devil and switched gears and bought this.

This is a solid Belgium style beer, just not in the top 5 or anything for me.

The smell is faint for this style but is of citrus and yeast.

The first thing you notice when you sip it is the sparkle on the tounge, then you get an unexpected taste of alcohol and then a lemony grapefruity tase.

You can feel the result of the alcohol before your end of the first one. But that is not what takes away from the drinkibility; it is the alcohol aftertaste.

But I am a big fan of Victory, and these American made Belgiums are neat because they haven't had to journey as far.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Cloudy, very pale yellow. Very thin head. Bubbles keep moving straight up in small lines like it's some sort of science experiment.

S: A little bit of alcohol. Lots of fruit.

T: Spicy fruit, lemon and orange. Subtle sweetness giving way to a dry grain finish. The taste lingers on its way out, and never gets unpleasant. Even at 9.5% ABV I can't find the alcohol in this one unless I really try.

M: Plenty of carbonation to perk up this smooth, medium drink. The spice really likes to linger on the palate.

D: Too much ABV to drink all night, but drinkable enough to drink more than you probably should.

4.09/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This was one of the first craft beers that took me by surprise when I was just getting into microbrews and craft breweries. I'd never had something quite like it, the spice and fruit tones were unknown to me at the time and it became one of my go-to beers.

Recently I got a 22oz bomber that was dated March 28 2012. It should have been fine, but it was apparently directly in front of a light in the display case, and even through the brown bottle it was skunked to all hell. Thankfully a FRESH six pack just came in and I nabbed it. Please redeem this beer, oh Beer Gods.

12oz bottle poured somewhat aggressively into a Duvel glass.

A: A stunning orange-yellow (more orange when the glass is full, more yellow when it's nearly done) with an okay finger and a half/two finger rocky head, which sadly disappears in just a few moments. Virtually no lacing.

S: Yeast, spice and fruit. YUM. A sweet bready aroma, like a really light fruitcake studded with dried fruit and doused in spices. A touch of alcohol when it's cold, not so bad when it's warm for some reason.

T: Spicy yeast, a cinnamon note somewhere in the middle, dried green grapes and a finish of unripe banana. Rather tart and astringent.

M: Initially fairly wet and refreshing, but it eventually leaves your tongue dry and cracked like a desert, dying for another sip. A little tightness in the cheeks from the astringency, not unlike a fairly tart, dry white wine.

O: There's a reason this is one of the beers that really got me into crafts. It's delicious when fresh, but beware, check your bottle dates before you leave the store and if it's a little old then grab from the back of the cooler. It should age a bit better, I hope.

4.07/5  rDev +9.4%

First I've had of the style. Purchased in a Victory variety pack. Pours cloudy gold/straw with a thick head. Smells like a normal wheat beer with a little hint of spice. Taste is strong wheaty malts, a bit of nondescript hop bitterness, some sweetness, with some banana and some subtle herbal flavors. Mouthfeel is smooth, almost creamy. Good beer. The 9.5% alcohol is undetectable.

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

750ml corked bottle
Nov. 30. 2004 bottled

Cloudy golden brew w/ a huge white head. To the nose I didnt get to much except some sweetness and malt. As I tiped the glass back to take a sip the white head took a minute to get though. With my nose covered in this beautiful head i finally got to the good stuff. WOW! Loads of malt. Tons of sweetness, with a apricot middle. The finish is warming with a fade of apricot then it returns quickly to the nose. A great brew despite the week smell and appearance. This was my first tripel and was deeply impressed.

4.13/5  rDev +11%

Fantastic brew! Okay. Is this the BEST Tripel out there? No. Of course not. The trapists and other Belgian brewers have them beat hands-down. But let's look at all aspects of this beer. First off, it comes in a six-pack. Can the best-of-the-best tripel brewers say that? Not so much. Next, look at the ABV. 9.5%. Quite impressive for a six-pack beer. Now as under-rated as this topic is, you have to look at price. At $8.50 per six pack (at my local liquor store), that brings the price down to about $1.42 per 12 oz bottle. Now add that all up. A delicious Belgian tripel at 9.5% for $1.42 per 12 oz bottle? Are you kidding? What's not to love about this beer? This one wins my all around drinkability award. Wonderful stuff.

4.02/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: Nice golden color, not much lacing

Smell: Definately malty and a decent hint of fruits

Taste: Can taste the friuts and spice. Just the right amount of hops. Even though you can taste the fruits and spice, you can also taste the high alc %.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, but if you more than one in a session, watch out :)

Overall: A better than average Tripel. Couldn't be the case price at $32, woohoo!

3.3/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a golden yellow with a moderate head, pretty similar to a standard Belgian tripel. There is some obvious carbonation to it.

The smell is fruity and spicy and has a little alcohol in it. Up to this point there is very little complexity in either the sight or the smell of the thing. Actually I thought the smell was a little funky and not very pleasant.

I didn't find the taste particularly pleasant either. It's very light tasting, with nothing overpowering, with mild hints of the scents: fruit, spice, especially citrus-y in the fruit department, and I can taste the alcohol more than other reviewers have said.

Overall I don't think the Golden Monkey is really worth drinking with the ABV. I usually like Victory's beer, but I really haven't liked drinking the it in the three or four times that I've had it.

3.51/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Had this one on tap at a local tap house. Poured clear golden color with very little if any head. Smell was sweet but not as present as other Belgians. No lacing to speak of but still and attractive pour in a sniffer glass. I immediately enjoyed the taste and would order another.

3.89/5  rDev +4.6%

Victory - Golden Monkey

Appearance: Honey color with slight chill haze. An aggressive pour almost lead to disaster. Five fingers of head, with some nearly on the table.

Aroma: Yeast fruitiness predominates. Some malt sweetness and a hint of alcohol as the beer warms.

Taste: Belgian yeast flavors take center stage. Fruit, spice, and hints of banana. Malt sweetness from beginning to end. Little to no hop flavor detected.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied beer with very high carbonation. Pour gently or risk disaster.

Overall: This is a fruity sweet beer, well within style. This would beer the perfect beer to pair with desert.

4.01/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had a friend hand me a bottle of this at a social gathering last week. I didn't have any way to take down some tasting notes so I don't have much to add other than I really liked the beer. Definately a strong belgian ale. If you like these types of beers, I suggest you try this one. Complex flavors that work together to make good beer.

4.37/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours golden amber with a piddly white head that thins down to a modest sheet in no time - poo. Aroma is fruit, some lime and pear, with a spicy hop character and some caramely malt notes. Intense fruit flavors are first, with a spicy hop-centered middle and a creamy smooth finish. Aftertaste finds the alcohol, as well as smoothness and a bit of drying as well. Mouthfeel is complex (and the best part about this brew!) - full of variations in feel, thin and fruity, then rich and creamy.

Subsequent larger gulps bring out an easy-drinking character that reminds me of a sweet, well done wheat. A bit of lacing. Carbonation is an afterthought . A delicious brew that I cannot ever find up here!

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Cool artwork.

Nice cloudy golden color, nice lacing but little head retention.

Faint aroma at first, but becomes peppery and yeasty.

Extremely strong. Very alcoholic. Yeasty and spicy, settles nicely in the mouth if you're one who enjoys a challenging brew.

This stuff is strong, real strong. Drink responsibly. I have a buddy who drank four of them in a night without remembering they were 9% and he ended up in bad shape. Drinker beware.

3.79/5  rDev +1.9%

I have to admit I am a fan of this style, one of the better of the Belgians. However, I feel this beer somewhat misses the mark. The body is good, with a big yeast and hop profile and close to 10% alcohol. The aroma is clove and banana ester, with some flowers from the hops. I think this beer has too much bitterness. Why not let the yeast run free? Dial back the bitterness and maybe some of those wonderful banana esters will come out in the flavor, not just the aroma. All in all, this beer is good. Enjoy it as you would a big, young chardonnay. I really hope they'll tweak this brew a bit in the future... could be a great one.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown