Golden Monkey | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Tripel

A magical, mystical Monkey whose golden sole glows with the wisdom of the ages. This radiant ale is rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing. Our Golden Monkey is both playfully delightful and profoundly satisfying. Exotic spice from the East rounds out this global journey to joy. Get on board. This Monkey's bound for glory!

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Ratings: 5,712 |  Reviews: 1,807
3.51/5  rDev -5.6%

Slight cloudiness; golden color. Nearly no head or lace.

Strong barnyard aromas...very earthy.

The flavor features a creaminess that doesn't show up in the mouth. I notice some bitterness from hop and certainly the alcohol level. High carbonation. Slight sourness in the aftertaste.

3.56/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a hazy straw color with a 1" white head. No head retention or lacing

S: Some yeast, bananas & fruittyness

T: Malt sweetness, banana peel. yeast & slight lemon. Finishes frutty & yeasty

MF: Thick, chunky & effervescent

Too many flavors dominate that I don't care for. Tripell isn't my favorite style, but this is lower echelon compared many others I've had

4.24/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am in the midst of a VT CANQuest (tm) excursion, but having sipped upon sunshine, I decided to move away from AIPAs & DIPAs for the moment & delve into one of the CANs taking up space in my reefer. I flash back to the early days of The CANQuest, c. 2004/2005. I was bending Bill Covaleski's ear re. putting Victory's beers in CANs for the umpteenth time. I had been heartened as Tom Kehoe of Yards assured me that he was into the idea, but numerous factors came into play (sidebar: the new Yards facility WILL have a CANning line) & so I felt emboldened. Bill, who is usually one of the most even-keeled, long-tempered brewers that I know, suddenly wheeled & roared, "WOODY, STOP IT WITH THE CANS! VICTORY BEERS WILL BE IN CANS WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER! NOT ANOTHER WORD, UNDERSTOOD?!?" Upon leaving, I rang up my broker & secured the sole proprietorship on any and all cold-weather gear sold in Hades. Today, I am a rich man, while Bro. Bill is merely sheepish. BTW, he really likes when I recount that tale!

From the CAN: "

I Crack!ed open the CAN to loud applause from beneath my chair. I guess that the residents of H-E-double-toothpick are likewise glad to see Victory beers in CANtained aluminum cylinders! I was greeted by a brimful CAN that immediately began foaming through the vent in an instance of Covaleski's Revenge. I allowed it to settle before performing a gentle Glug which was enough to satiate us all. I watched as it formed a finger of dense, foamy, bone-white head of its own accord & then evinced great retention. Color was a gorgeous Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 -5), like liquid sunshine of which I was about to take a sip, at least I was until the arrival of The Gelt Gang - Croesus, Midas & Mammon, all wanting some Golden goodness of their own. Nose had a pronounced spiciness, but not the usual Pumpkin/Hallowe'en/Holiday spices. No, instead, this was coriander, black pepper, star anise & dried orange peel! Oh my. Mouthfeel was full, thick & creamy as though a dollop had been ladled onto my tongue by a trollop. The taste was wonderfully spicy, very peppery, but with a light citrusiness & a dry mustiness that could only have been borne of Belgian yeast.

This was evocative of our initial foray to the then-nascent brewpub in Downingtown, via train from Lancaster. It seemed like a long walk from the train station at the time, but now, il n'est pas rien. As we were leaving, a fellow guest offered to give us a ride up Lancaster Avenue to the train station & thus unburdened, we purchased a growler of Golden Monkey which we passed around like a jug of hooch on the train. Upon debarking in Lancaster, we had to be poured off of the train!

The finish was spicy, yeasty & very dry. I kept getting intense peppery notes, even well after the swallow.

If you like white wine & CANnot find it in a CAN, I humbly offer this up as a (possibly) suitable substitute. Its presence in a CAN means that you CAN put it next to your boyfriend's CANs of TenFidy in the cooler as you head to the beach, never to be heard from again as the surf gently pulls your slumbering bodies out to sea.

2.33/5  rDev -37.4%

Alright, folks, I finally did it. Trying a new tripel torments the hell out of me, as its a style I either love or hate entirely, and most tripels ending up lumped into the latter group. I had put off sampling Golden Monkey for as long as possible until yesterday, while at Highlands Grill in Kennesaw, I decided to finally "go for it".

Appearance: Pours a hazy, pale golden body with a foamy, white head that went completely flat within a minute or so.

Smell: Spice-driven aromatics, with hints of flowers, mold, bananas, and grains.

Taste: Spicy from the onset, with generous doses of pepper, clove, and corriander. Other weak flavors erratically flash across the tongue: lemon juice, sweetened dough, dusty-dry yeast, and bananas. Lightly bitter finish with just a murmur from the alcohol showing on the swallow.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied and watery. Lightly carbonated.

Drinkability: I did not care for this one at all, as its excessive spiciness, as well as its array of weak, uninteresting flavors was a complete turn off for me. Pass.

3.26/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle

A: Pours very light and cloudy with a one finger head that dissipates to a small layer of little bubbles on the top.

S: Didn't get a ton on the nose, some floral components and some yeast.

T: Definitely sweet upfront with some malts rounding it out. There is also a little bit of spice in this.

M/D: Medium bodied and pretty drinkable. The alcohol was masked pretty well though. Overall I was left underwhelmed. It seemed to be lacking in most areas. Its not a bad beer, but it isn't great.

3.62/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy, washed-out amber with boatloads of yeast. My first bottle had a soft white head that fell quickly to one finger and resulted in a nice amount of lace. This one has almost no head and barely any lace. Weird.

The nose is fruity and smells like candied banana. On the palate, I can appreciate sugared, ripe banana as well as apple-like notes. The flavor improves as I go deeper into the bottle. Alcohol is noticeable, but not obtrusive, and the 9.5% ABV ensures that the beer is nicely warming. The mouthfeel is medium, with a slightly slick, coating finish.

Initially, I thought I prefered Golden Monkey to New Belgium's tripel, but now I'd have to say that I prefer NB's version. This is pretty good beer, but isn't one I'll look for again.

3.17/5  rDev -14.8%

Man oh man, this is strong @!#$. What a kick, they should have named it after the devil though. Not all Belgian beers are as wild as this, some are just clean, bitter and alcoholic.

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%

Drank on tap 1/16/10 at the Iron Horse in DC.

a - A nice golden color with a decent amount of while head. Little carbonation.

s - Smells fruity and a little boozy. Also smells of yeast.

t - Kind of taste like it smells. Smooth but kind of hoppy eventually.

m - light to medium body, little carbonation, pretty smooth .

d - It was a decent beer, not the best tripel I've had but I would try it again.

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

12 oz. bottled poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Clear and golden with a not-so-fluffy looking head. It's gone quickly. Some lacing remains. Is it just me or do Belgian-style ales have difficulty retaining a head?

Smell - Spicy with a distinct yeasty aroma. Smells like a tripel. Nothing really complex. I can't pick out exactly what spices this beer claims to have in it.

Taste - Fresh, clean flavor. Slight funk and other spice notes. Again, nothing complex, but quite enjoyable. A bit bland, I guess, compared to other tripels.

Mouthfeel - Very light body with moderate carbonation. It's dangerously drinkable. I could have put away a lot of these very quickly. The downside is that it's extremely dry in the finish. It's a real turn-off.

Overall - It's good and it's easy to drink. It's nothing amazing, but there isn't anything glaringly wrong with it. I would be happy drinking this regularly.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

A - Poured a orange-tan with little to no head and only a slight film of lace on the top, no real carbonation.

S - Smell was somewhat sweet with alot of alcohol and a hint of sour grapes.

M & T - The taste was odd, hard to really pin down. Lots of subtle flavors, dark fruits, grains, and hints of hops with a very noticeable alcohol hint in the back. Smooth, somewhat slick, not enough carbonation for me on this. Would have liked it to have more body to it.

D - Overall this was not bad at all, not my favorite belgian style ale, nor my favorite from victory, put definatly not bad. Will have to give it a secind try, just seems a bit strong for my everyday tastes, definatly unique and one that you should definatly try.

4.17/5  rDev +12.1%

poured cold into a Chimay chalice from a container bottled on March 29th of 2007
A - A deep golden/light amber with full bone white head that quickly recedes and generates plenty of lace that remains on the sides of the glass.

S - Spicy + malty- a coriander hint as well as a bready, boozy alcoholic character that has an abbey yeast quality.

M - Warming, vinous feel, spiced with a full body and plenty of effervescent sweetness.

T - Strong candy-like belgian yeast flavors saddle up with an immediately apparent alcohol presence. Tantalizing spicy honey-like smooth character gives a clean fruity ale flavor tha is easy to enjoy mouthful after mouthful.

D - A real easy one to return to with all the spice and depth that a tripel has to offer. The golden sweetness w/ strong abv makes it hard to deny, but at the same time only a good rating for drinkability since it's high abv makes it difficult to have more than a few.

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

3.05/5  rDev -18%

Pours straw clear with some sediment flecks quickly dissapaiting head, little bit of lacing as it goes down. Taste is banana and kind of a yeast funk and alcohol. Has kind of a homebrew yeast taste. I was hoping for something better from this brewery and style.

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.35/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown