Golden Monkey | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Golden MonkeyGolden Monkey

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: Tripel

A magical, mystical Monkey whose golden sole glows with the wisdom of the ages. This radiant ale is rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing. Our Golden Monkey is both playfully delightful and profoundly satisfying. Exotic spice from the East rounds out this global journey to joy. Get on board. This Monkey's bound for glory!

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Reviews: 1,763 | Ratings: 5,491
3.38/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

L: slightly clear but dirty golden orange color if there is such a description. A slightly 1/2 finger head that dissipated quickly. carbonation is underwhelming. Not the prettiest beer in this style; rather average and not inviting.

S: yeast and malty nose upfront, with some hints of citrus fruits in the background as well as some medicinal aromas. Not a very dominant aroma and rather faint.

T: Citrus and spiciness and Malty upfront, with a slight medicinal, bitter and light chalkiness in the finish. Extremely sweet but only boarders on being syrupy. Tastes very similar to the aroma. Alcohol is balanced with the malt and hidden well.

M: moderately creamy and medium bodied. Tingly spice but not overly carbonated to my preferences with a pronounced sweetness. Slightly chalky on the finish.

O: An average but drinkable Tripel. The 9.5% ABV really sneaks up on you after a pint, so watch out! Could be more dry and digestable which tends to be the standard measure of a very good Belgian beer. A little too sweet for my tastes and not enough complexity for the style. I would try again if offered.

4.17/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours clear golden orange with a small white head, smells yeasty and biscuity with spicy hops, tastes yeasty with warm maltiness smooth easy hops on the end, creamy mouthfeel with a smooth finish.

4.34/5  rDev +16.7%

This beer does not get nearly enough credit for the tripel ale that it is. So many people buy this beer expecting another classic 'Victory' production (hoppy, seedy, earthy, etc) but this is so different and magnificent. Packs a really enjoyable smooth taste.

4.41/5  rDev +18.5%

Amazing. Good carbonation, a sour aftertaste, definetly golden look. Sometimes you can taste an alcahol aftertaste is the only downside, but with a 9.5% its good

4.09/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Just tried the golden monkey from victory and while I haven't had a lot of experiences with tripels I must say I was overall impressed.
C: Golden straw color, close to what you would expect put of a tripel
B: Medium body not too highly carbonated
T: Light citrus undertones with a slight dankness from the alcohol but very well hidden considering the ABV. Boozy numbness felt in the throat after the first couple sips but after 2 or 3 of these they definitely go a little more unnoticed
M: Mouthfeel is not very crisp but some noticeable carbonation. Does leave a slight "coating" of the tongue but not bad thing. A little on the thicker side of medium

Overall I would buy this beer again if I was seeking something with high alcohol and a little different from my normal ipa or porter/stout mood. Will definitely leave you warm and loose after a few of these

1.13/5  rDev -69.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

I was very disappointed with this beer. This is the first and last time I will be trying a beer from Victory Brewing. I'm sorry, but to be completely honest, I haven't had a beer quite this unpleasant tasting in a very long time. I would like to get my money back for this one.

3.48/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Chimay goblet

A: Golden yellow with a collar and some slight lacing. Looks like yellow Gatorade from above.
S: Yeasty with some fruity esters. Quite singular in focus.
T: Again, kind of a one note. Tastes like it smells. Yeasty and Belgian.
M: Quite mellow carbonation, but it makes itself felt. Fizzy and foamy.
O: Not bad. A decent, easy to find Tripel that is quite strong and pretty cheap.

2.39/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

March 2015 - Horrible taste, horrible aftertaste. Nasty.

November 2015 - I gave this a second try. Pours with the appearance of a pilsner; the first scent I got was tomato juice/V8...strange. Maybe some similar spices. There's another distinctive scent in ther that I just can't put my finger on, but it's not appealing. I sort of taste V8 as well. There's something about the spices in this that just isn't appealing. Honestly, I'm surprised this beer continues to sell, which I assume it does since they've been making it year round since 2001. I'm pretty certain that I've given this beer fair opportunity. Done with it.

I made a few adjustments on the second evaluation and score only adjusted from a 2.46 to a 2.39.

3.74/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Not a bad effort by a brewery far better known for its stellar pilsner than Belgian style ales. Gorgeous golden color and a rapidly dissipating bright white one finger head. Yeast wafts from the pour. There is a dusty, musty yeast undertone that is not unpleasant, but might put some off. The mouthfeel is also noticeably unlively for the style. The high concentration of booze is virtually unnoticeable. In the end, it's a decent attempt, and one that I would enjoy drinking get again, but there are many superior offerings in this style elsewhere. La Fin du Monde and Long Strange Tripel come immediately to mind.

3.99/5  rDev +7.3%

Solid tripel, crisp and balanced. Nice golden color and thick white head. Grape on the nose, yeasty. Good mouthfeel, nice carbonation, refreshing. the 9.5abv well covered. I enjoyed this overall.

3.74/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had a 1/6 of this at a birthday party a few years back. Amazing but forgot to warn people of the abv. Things got a little crazy that night. So drinkable and delicious!

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

I like a good triple and I was excited to try this.

One word, disappointed. Some more words, I paid $13 for a 6pk of the Golden Monkey and that's where my grind comes in. At that price I was expecting some kind of golden enlightenment but all I got was wallet lightened.

There are better, cheaper triples out there, go find em'.

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company. Poured from the caged cork bottle into a tulip glass, this beer's head is four fingers thick with lacing, and a body.

Smells like white wine, straight up! Crisp, lively, and delicate. Yet still enough to keep you wanting to experience what this tastes like. Excelsior!

I taste,ding, right answer : that of white wine. But also alongside a fruitier, dare I say apple-like note in the backbone of this drink's malt profile. Can't really detect much hops unless they are playing a part in the wine-esque dryness of this.

This brew's mouthfeel is dry and crisp. Literally no aftertaste or settling on the palate. Very well done here!

Overall, I'll give Golden Monkey - Victory Brewing Company a 4.75. This would be damned perfect if the wine was a just a hair more profound, but I can certainly dig this. Even though I'm reviewing this in the winter, this brew would really hit the spot on a spring or even summer night. I recommend this beer and will pick it up again.

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Smooth. Not too hoppy. Hint of spice. A slight taste of vanilla in first drink, though it's not overwhelming and goes away after first drink. Aftertaste is minimal. Not outstanding but worth a 6 pack.

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours cloudy yellow gold color with a 2 finger foamy snow white head that faded slowly leaving very good lacing coating the sides.

Smells of banana, yeast, pepper and other spices like coriander, lemon zest, orange peel, grass, flowers, honey and some light funk. Some earthy notes mixed in with the spices and a slight resemblance to barnyard funk or some wet animal hair.

Taste has more fruity notes up front with sour apple, white grapes and rotting pear in addition to the lemon, orange peel, banana and kiss of red grapefruit. The funk is mild with the yeast, grains, wheat bread and dry cracker mixing with the fruits and spices like pepper, coriander, brown sugar and cinnamon or light cumin. There are also some traces of honey and clover or garlic, which gives this a Belgian feel but also makes it kind of confusing. I’ve been drinking this beer for about 10 years and always find it enjoyable, but not great as far as the flavor goes.

Mouthfeel is smooth and silky, with mild spritzy carbonation, a medium body and a slightly bitter finish that is sweet and on the drier side. A good beer that is middle of the road for the style, but always nice to have around since Victory is only a few hours from NY so this beer is always fresh and available.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I liked the golden color. Not much head. Nice spicey, belgian smell. Taste was quite of a decent belgian. Have always enjoyed this one from the first time I had it.

2.48/5  rDev -33.3%

I generally like Victory brews. This one I did not. I felt the color was not appealing, the mouth feel watery and taste of bitterness did not sit well with me. I am not sure what it is but the bitter after taste over powered the experience of this brew for me.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

There is a strong banana aroma and flavor, not surprising Ina Tripel. The spices that were added are rather overwhelmed. Mouthfeel is nice, not as thick as expected.

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours with a small white head. Is golden in color and very murky. Has a sweet ale aroma with a hint of spice. Has a mild cirtus flavor that balances well with the added spices.

2.45/5  rDev -34.1%

I had to give this a second chance. I still found it challenging to consume. Maybe good for you, but not for me. My brother, who lives near the Victory brewery thinks this stuff is awesome. I beg to differ. I'd rather have a Labatt Blue, and I Like craft beers, and I love all of the Tripels that I've had EXCEPT this.

4.01/5  rDev +7.8%

A basic Tripel that packs a punch. My favorite thing about it is that I can find Victorys Golden Monkey just about anywhere which makes it my go to Tripel.

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Format: a half-pint amongst others at The Scratch in Milton, Brisbane.

Appearance: pours a vibrant amber with limited fine carbonation. A 1.5 finger off-white head drops slowly to a thin ring.

Aroma: obvious and powerful Belgian yeasts up front with some sweet wheat.

Taste: very sweet toffee malts up front with those wheat and yeast qualities behind. Quite nice, but the sweetness is far too intense.

Aftertaste: and the sweetness lingers for quite a time, becoming a little cloying.

Mouth feel: a medium body with moderate carbonation. Pretty easy drinking other than that massive sweetness.

Overall: not a bad tripel, but far too sweet for my liking. I was surprised to discover that it is at least AU$120 a case - no way in the world.

3.42/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Floral up front followed by a prickly spice and bready notes with yeasty flavors. Lots of warming alcohol on this one that takes away from the rest of what this brew has going for it. Never the less, this is a nice sipper on a cold evening like tonight. Cheers!

3.99/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a La Fin Du Monde tulip glass.

The color is a slightly hazy yellow/gold with two fingers of foamy white and some nice thick lacing left on the glass.

The smell is a little boozy with a good Belgian candy aroma. There is sweetness here with some slightly funky Brett aroma with a dry grape aroma as well.

The taste is filled with an earthy malt backbone that is present throughout. There is a nice mashed banana flavor that wrestles with a sweetness that appears with some grape skin flavor.

The feel of this beer is medium bodied with a smooth drinkable feel. There is a great warming feel that helps ease down and leaves pleasant aftertaste that gives off a slight sweetness before dissipating.

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

BB date of Oct 2017, 12 oz pour into std pint glass. Clear medium gold color with nice medium carbonation. Not much head retention and minimal lacing. Spicy Belgian aroma. Flavor is classic Belgian but with a finish of apricots and cinnamon. I think the mouthfeel is a little light but I still think that the alcohol is well-hidden. If you are a serious student of Belgian triples, this beer may disappoint. For the rest of us, it is a delightful entry to the genre and very enjoyable. Victory does a great job overall.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown