Golden Monkey | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Tripel

A magical, mystical Monkey whose golden sole glows with the wisdom of the ages. This radiant ale is rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing. Our Golden Monkey is both playfully delightful and profoundly satisfying. Exotic spice from the East rounds out this global journey to joy. Get on board. This Monkey's bound for glory!

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Ratings: 5,710 |  Reviews: 1,807

This is one of my favorite beers of all time! I had it on draft the other night and it brought back all the memories from visits to the east coast. I'm reading all these notes on how to "rate a beer" to style. I think this beer is freaking awesome, so I'm giving it a good score. Was it served perfectly with the perfect amount of head? No. I got it in a pint, not a snifter and was psyched because it's 9.5% MOFOs! That makes the score better, because it made me happy!

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

4.5/5  rDev +21%

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

4.09/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This was one of the first craft beers that took me by surprise when I was just getting into microbrews and craft breweries. I'd never had something quite like it, the spice and fruit tones were unknown to me at the time and it became one of my go-to beers.

Recently I got a 22oz bomber that was dated March 28 2012. It should have been fine, but it was apparently directly in front of a light in the display case, and even through the brown bottle it was skunked to all hell. Thankfully a FRESH six pack just came in and I nabbed it. Please redeem this beer, oh Beer Gods.

12oz bottle poured somewhat aggressively into a Duvel glass.

A: A stunning orange-yellow (more orange when the glass is full, more yellow when it's nearly done) with an okay finger and a half/two finger rocky head, which sadly disappears in just a few moments. Virtually no lacing.

S: Yeast, spice and fruit. YUM. A sweet bready aroma, like a really light fruitcake studded with dried fruit and doused in spices. A touch of alcohol when it's cold, not so bad when it's warm for some reason.

T: Spicy yeast, a cinnamon note somewhere in the middle, dried green grapes and a finish of unripe banana. Rather tart and astringent.

M: Initially fairly wet and refreshing, but it eventually leaves your tongue dry and cracked like a desert, dying for another sip. A little tightness in the cheeks from the astringency, not unlike a fairly tart, dry white wine.

O: There's a reason this is one of the beers that really got me into crafts. It's delicious when fresh, but beware, check your bottle dates before you leave the store and if it's a little old then grab from the back of the cooler. It should age a bit better, I hope.

2.28/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

I gave this beer a number of shots at different points over the last few months. While I love other beers brewed by Victory, this one just does not do it for me. While yes it is high in ABV, the taste just does not really do it for my pallet. I suggest anyone venturing into this beer, but a single or six pack first. I think you will either love it or hate it, and there is really no middle ground.

2.25/5  rDev -39.5%