Golden Monkey | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Tripel

A magical, mystical Monkey whose golden sole glows with the wisdom of the ages. This radiant ale is rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing. Our Golden Monkey is both playfully delightful and profoundly satisfying. Exotic spice from the East rounds out this global journey to joy. Get on board. This Monkey's bound for glory!

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Ratings: 5,644 |  Reviews: 1,796

4.01/5  rDev +7.8%

Enjoyed on-tap @ the Mellow Mushroom in Franklin (Nashville), TN for $6. Tapped from the Victory Tap Handle w/ a Monkey on it into a 12oz Snifter Glass.

Aroma- Tons of belgian hops and malt hit the nose firstly. After this, light spices and an evident yeast character comes around. Very distinct as a Tripel nose!

Appearance- Received with a .5 finger head that dies very quickly. Has a golden body with good clarity and the lacing is at a minimum with just a few suds.

Flavor- A great deal of tangerine, yeast, and malts hits home for the style at the beginning towards mid drink. Then has a very malty background and a medium bitterness. More of a dryer finish than I've observed in other Tripels.

Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied, High Carbonation, Smooth, Fruity, and a bit effervescent.

Overall Impression- A good overall Tripel by Victory! Especially enjoyed the fruit character and light spices. I'm glad it wasn't too overpowering and held fairly true to style. Would like to see a bottle of this age at some point down the road.

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

A: single finger head with nice retention on a pale golden body.

S: very full and sweet lemon notes dominate the aroma.

T: flavor is both sweet and tart mostly from the lemon flavors. some breads, peppery and grain notes.

M: light body and moderate to high carbonation.

Overall: I am thinking the genre of this one is either way off or miss labeled. Fairly drinkable but not a tripel I want to try again.

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

2.5/5  rDev -32.8%

3.83/5  rDev +3%

Look: This is where this beer really shines. The beer pours smooth, golden, with a thick, creamy head that is present throughout. Not much lacing but it retains a wonderful head. Cloudy golden color with excellent carbonation. Very appetizing.

Smell: The thing that immediately hits me is how I'm reminded of Duvel with this smell... only somewhat more sweet. Citrus-y and spicy at the same time but not overpowering.

Taste: Banana, biscuit malt and wheat are persistent throughout. Some very nice spice kicks in at the end. Some hoppy bitterness is present. Overall it's very well-balanced. The taste of clove is a bit strong for me, but not excessively sweet.

Feel: Coats the mouth very well. Thick with a good spicy kick. Very smooth, and as many have noted, the 9.5% alcohol is masked very nicely.

Overall: This is a solidTripel. I had tried this a few times previously and it never wowed me. This time around I took my time with it and I have to say I enjoyed it more. Every time I take a sip, I can't help but think of Duvel. I might get killed for saying that... but I definitely think it has some similarities. It's not a go to for me as I still enjoy La Fin Du Monde and Chimay Cinq Cents. So yeah... a good but not great beer.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown