Golden Monkey | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Tripel

A magical, mystical Monkey whose golden sole glows with the wisdom of the ages. This radiant ale is rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing. Our Golden Monkey is both playfully delightful and profoundly satisfying. Exotic spice from the East rounds out this global journey to joy. Get on board. This Monkey's bound for glory!

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Ratings: 5,644 |  Reviews: 1,796

Pours a golden straw color with some haze but for the most part, is oddly pretty clear. Second time I'm having this and I thought I was maybe pouring it wrong the first time but i'm not, this beer just has a giant head (along with victorys storm king, maybe there's something in the yeast out there). The head fades pretty quickly though

Not too much on the nose, some sugared fruits along with dates and figs.

Now on to tasting, had this at a friends house recently on a whim and remembering being decent so lets give it a another go.

Flavors good and mild just as I remember it being making it dangerously drinkable. Lots of dark fruit sweetness but it doesnt linger long at all nor is it over powering, it's nicely balanced. There's a slight alcohol after taste but it's very mild and blends nicely with the very subtle hop presence. There are also some faint tastes of clove and bubblegum if you let the beer warm a little.

Mouthfeel is medium to full and a little grainy but this beer still goes down easy.

Solid.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

4.5/5  rDev +21%

3.37/5  rDev -9.4%

Serving: Chilled bomber poured into a Tripel Karmeliet glass.

Light golden color, thin, fleeting head, slight lacing, mild carbonation.

Smells of banana, spices, citrus, bread, some ethanol.

Tastes fruity. Banana, pineapple, citrus, bready/yeasty, hoppy, astringent. Alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel is quite acidic/astringent. Medium body, not too light, not too heavy.

Overall, a mediocre tripel. Could be smoother, more well-rounded. Not the best tripel I've had, but not the worst. Thanks for a good beer after a long, hard day at work, Victory!

2.33/5  rDev -37.4%

Golden clarity, white foam of ephemerality. Pops loud, pours vigorous. Smells of bananas and clove, esters and spice, sugar and summer. Good. Enjoyable.

Tastes astringent, coriander, orange, esters, table sugar, displeasing. The bitterness is far too high, the astringency offputting. Ugh.

I would not purchase this.

Victory- Really?

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Very clear amber tone with a 1/2" head that goes away quickly and then is almost non existent. Slight lacing that doesn't stick around long.

Smells of fruit, spice, malts. I've only had one Tripel before, so I can't speak to how well this translates into the style they are going for, but it's a decent winter warmer for sure. Sort of a fruity taste up front, with some alcohol warmth on the finish.

This has a fairly light mouthfeel and is drinkable enough for the 9.5% ABV. I think, even though you can feel some alcohol warmth, this beer hides that large ABV percentage fairly well.

Again, I can't really compare this to other Tripels, because it's not a style I'm all that familiar with. It does not taste anything like the Chimay Tripel, that I can say for sure. It almost reminds me of a west coast IPA in a sense, not because of a huge hop presence or bitterness, but more because of the citrus/fruit flavors.

Worth checking out at any rate, but not my favorite offering from Victory by a long shot.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Picked this up at Joe Canal's a few weeks back since this was one of the few popular Victory beers that I had yet to try. I"m not much of a Tripel fan but most of their other offerings were solid and I was hoping that would be the case here too. There was too much of an alcoholic presence here to make this fully enjoyable, but for the most part, this was a decent beer that could please and warm up most aficionados!

This had a decent pour to it with a golden hue without much head or lacing to be seen. It was pretty clear when held up to the light and most of the aroma was that of sugar. Not much of a range of flavors in the taste but there was some bread and a lot of booze. The consistency was like that of Brie Cheese, in that this was somewhat creamy, smooth, and a bit bland. A slight amount of pepper took over in the aftertaste but the alcohol was too strong to let much of anything else emerge.

I know this is a Tripel but there was just something missing here. If the alcohol was hidden more and there were some more spice and fruit flavors, this would be a great beer. Instead, it's a decent representation of the style, but not enough to match up with its European counterparts.

3.69/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into Tulip.
It looks ok. Golden color under a thick white foam that lasts.
Smell is of belgian yeast, hops and alcohol; some fruity notes present.
Taste is fruity; dried cherry and spices, with a yeast and slight alcohol; malty aftertaste. You really dont notice the alcohol in this; even at 9.5%.
I was looking forward to this brew, I dont know why, but I was. I wouldnt say I am disspointed, but it leaves me wishing it was better.
I think this would be better on-tap or bottle conditioned.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown