Golden Monkey | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Belgian Tripel

A magical, mystical Monkey whose golden sole glows with the wisdom of the ages. This radiant ale is rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing. Our Golden Monkey is both playfully delightful and profoundly satisfying. Exotic spice from the East rounds out this global journey to joy. Get on board. This Monkey's bound for glory!

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Ratings: 5,849 |  Reviews: 1,840
3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Re-rate...

Starting to enjoy belgians more and this falls a little short overall..the alcohol is noticable in this one...it is young though (bottled 9/8/03)...today is 10/25/03...the banana is still there in the aroma and taste....A lot of banana...Not as charged up as I remember but the alcohol seems more evident and spicy....a very good beer I'd enjoy again but I wouldn't seek out...
---
1-28-02
I don't have a lot of experience with the Belgians but this is about what I expected..banana/cloves on the aroma and the initial taste..pretty charged up carbonation wise...tastes like a Belgian...has a high alcohol content but it is not overwhelming on the taste...It has a hint of alcohol/warming effect but doesn't taste real heavy of alcohol...actually pretty smooth and easy drinking....overall a very interesting beer definitely worth trying...not one I would drink a lot of, but a nice change of pace...

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a nice golden copper color with a thin amount of head thought there was a lot of carbonation. Decent armoa but I thought it was a little week. Slightly hoppiness but mainly a spicy type smell. The taste was good with a good balance of malt, spice, and bitternss. Hints of fruit and yeast. Not to strong for such a high alcohol beer.

4.38/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a nice golden color with a thin head. Nice carbonation in the glass. The aroma was slightly yeasty, but some citrus overtones were apparant. The taste was similiar, very smooth but sporting a nice balance of malt, bitterness, yeast, and citrus. Very dry and somewhat crisp on the tongue. One of Victory's best efforts.

4.55/5  rDev +22.3%

This brew poured a beautiful cloudy, golden liquid. The aroma while pouring was very fruity. It formed a nice white head, probably half-an-inch thick.

The head quickly dissipated, but left a thin lace on the glass. The word to describe this tripel is "fruity". And I mean that in the best way possible. Any description of the taste of this brew should include the phrases "liquid bread", "yeasty", and "fruity" in it.

The yeast esters, maltiness, and hint of warming alcohol in this brew make this a wonderful example of the tripel style of beer. I will relish finishing off this six pack! What higher praise is there?

3.77/5  rDev +1.3%

Hazy golden ale with an orange hue. White head dies quickly leaving but a disorganized white film. Has a wonderful peppery spicy aroma. Has a creamy mouthfeel that is velvety and smooth. Very nice. This is a very nice Tripel. Terrific flavor that is fruity, spicy and has a good yeasty malty thing going on. It's great to see an American brewer do well at a non-Ameriacan style.

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance – Amazing bright orange color with a good-sized head.

Smell – Big, serious yeast aromas immediately fill the nose. There’s some wonderful tropical fruit in there to include orange, peaches, melons, and even a dash of coconut juice.

Taste – This one delivers big time. The bready yeast is strong but balanced. The fruity flavors keep things even and the mild alcohol notes remind the drinker of the 9.5 ABV.

Mouthfeel – Lightly carbonated and medium to full in the body. This one is thick and chewy. It’s dinner in a glass.

Drinkability – This was ideal. It went down like a true Abbey Tripel. It was exceptionally smooth, energetic, and right on style. Awesome!

Update – I revisited this in 2004 and was even more impressed with the way Victory put this one together. After attending the 2004 Belgian Beer Fest and sampling many American efforts at the style I’ve come to reallly appreciate this offering from the V. I was particularly impressed with the Mouthfeel and am raising that score by 0.5.

4.7/5  rDev +26.3%

We all know that Victory is an undeniably world-class brewery, but I still don't know how they managed Golden Monkey. It runs with Belgium's best and is easily the best tripel I've ever ever had. The Belgian-style taste is taken to a new level by an exceptional fruitiness that I consider to be unequalled by any other Belgian-style beer. Honestly, when it comes to tripels, this is paramount. The strong, alcoholic smell is deceiving compared to the sweet and yeasty taste. This beer has everything Belgium has to offer and more; only the greatest trappists can top this brew. With regard to the Victory brewery, I think Golden Monkey rivals Storm King in terms of general appeal.

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%

This Monkey pours a light gold color. I gave it a hard, rapid pour and this brew did produce a semi decent head, but it faded quickly. The color is a sight bit hazy. The aroma reminds me of green apples with tones of yeast and citrus hidden. Taste is smooth; there is a bit of a malt flavor with the green apples mixed in with a very slight yeast zing near the end. The flavor does masks the alcohol in this brew. There is always bubbles moving to the top of the glass and it has a very nice creamy smooth mouthfeel. A very enjoyable brew and easy to drink. I could easily enjoy more than one of these, no problems.

3.56/5  rDev -4.3%

Honey colored and surprisingly tasty. Fairly sweet yet a dry honey aftertaste. This beer really sneaks up on you strength-wise, since the malt covers the alcohol taste well. I would recommend it if you want a strong sweet beer and are only having one.

4.06/5  rDev +9.1%

Golden color, slightly hazy. Medium head. Aroma is fruity and a touch floral. Big bold beer with complex flavors. Tastes like a triple wit. Sweet and spicy with fruity and yeasty flavors. Sour apples, grapefruit, mango, coriander and etc etc. Tart and sweet. Both malts and hops and sweet and tart nicely balanced. Very tasty beer. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly sweet and tart.

2.12/5  rDev -43%

This is an embarrassing attempt at a Belgian Tripel, laughable. Sweet, sweet bready malts, really sticky, toilet cleaner flavours, one dimentional and boring, i liked the yeast character though, but thats the only positive. The yeast tastes Belgian, but the rest of the beer doesn't, seems a bit out of place to me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Presented in a 12oz. brown bottle (same as in pic) with a "bottled on" date of 09-09-02 on it. Poured a nice hazy golden color with a foamy, bubbly whitish head and a large column of bubbles rising up from the middle of the glass.
Smell: WTF?! Okay, maybe this is a bad bottle. This had a sour, vinegary aroma overriding the spicy pepper and alcohol notes. Smelled vaguely rotten.
Taste: seriously, what is this? Tastes of red vinegar, pepper and alcohol - a sour, acidic, citrusy melange that was distasteful.
Feel was full, bubbly and dry.
I have to guess this was a bad bottle. If it's not, this would rank as one of the worst I've let past my lips. Lord knows I tried my best but ended up dumping the last 6oz. Golden Monkey's appearance and mouthfeel are quite appealing. However, the slightly rotten sourness leads me to one word: undrinkable. I'm happy I only bought one.

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

Served to me at a suburban PA bar, with a pint glass next to it. Hmm. Well, judging by the rest of the joint, I was shocked they had this, so I wasn't going to complain about glassware. Still, should be noted for the rest of the review.

Lots of flavors here, and, I thought it was a bit all over the place. Definate taste of sweet overly ripe fruit here at the start, almost rotten fruit, but not in a bad way. Major players are pear and apricot, with a caramelized banana back end.

This was a little sweeter than I would have liked, and slightly sweeter than most beers of this style. Still, a solid effort, and I'd have this again.

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

Another victory for Victory! Thoroughly enjoyable. I was a little apprehensive going in, having tasted a Corsendonk, which I found too "champagne-y" for my liking. The Victory was smoother and more doughy, creating a nice drinkability for so potent a brew. I could have had another but I would have been sleeping in my chair for the night. Overall, the spiced fruit flavors are there but not overpowering. I will have a hard time keeping this "monkey" off my back.

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy golden hue with a steady stream of carbonation present. Fizzy white head dissipates into almost nothing, although the thin ring of head does leave sparse lacing down the chalice. Yeasty, doughy nose features notes of fruity esters and alcohol. Passion fruit, apple, pear, apricot, yeast, sugar, and alcohol all appear in the taste department. Overall, this is a fruity, sweet tripel-style with the high abv covered by lots of candy sugar. Finishes very sweet with the sugar and alcohol making the most impact. Mouthfeel is quite carbonated, almost too overly so. This is a fairly drinkable tripel, but one that is a bit too sugary to be incredibly enjoyable. Even so, this is a tasty creation.

4.54/5  rDev +22%

This is a goofy beer. I started drinking this stuff about a year ago and it did me. Then the bad batch appeared. It was STANKONIA!!! I poured it out and tried again. STANKONIA again!!! I emailed those guys at Victory and told them. They emailed me back and apologized and said they were correcting the problem. I brought the beer back to Sam's (in Chicago) and they credited me (truly, Sam,'s is fair). So...now...I'm back to drinking this fool and it is worthy.
It's golden. The Head is not much.... but there. The lace is THERE! It's well intended. The truly interesting thing is its little stink. It's like perfume. Good perfume has a little rot in it. So does Golden Monkey. It tastes a little rotten too. It has a good mouthfeel. It's actually quite silky. I'll keep it on hand always unless I have tricks played on me and then I'll have to make the trip to Downington. Drink this beer.

4.7/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have previously had this on tap at Victory's brewpub. The bottled version doesn't appear to drastically differ from the tap version, except that the head was a bit weaker. The beer is a rich, hazy golden color with a bit of a head. The aroma is spicy, floral and fruity. Coriander is the most evident. Wonderful taste and mouthfeel. Complex, yet mellow taste. Alchohol evident, but subtle in taste. I've convinced my local packy to carry this, albeit on a rotating basis. Very much like Duvel. A superb beer!

3.1/5  rDev -16.7%

Dayton, OH AleFest:This beer formed a small sized ivory head that contained fine sized bubbles that mostly diminished.The body was clear with some fizzy carbonation and the hue was yellow.The nose was lightly malty, light hops, fruity, sweet and some clove detected.The flavor was acidic and bitter tasting along with a smooth, tingly, and light-medium bodied palate.

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a hazy light golden color with a smallish head which diminishes very quickly. Some minor lacing is present on the glass as well. Nice smelling: floral and spicy scents. Tastes fruity, especially of bananas. The taste of the high alcohol content comes through as well especially as it warms. A decent beer which I will likely have again, although it certainly does not rank as a "favorite".

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours out a golden straw color with a medium to thick head that lingers around for a while, then laces up. Aroma was yeasty and fruity. Carbonation was noticeable and adds a crispness to this brew. Taste is quite good apples maybe banana and slight yeast/wheat. Very drinkable but watch out, as its 9.5 abv will eventually catch up to you.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

June 02 03 bottling. Looks like a belgian triple should. It's a straw/hazy yellow with a decent frothy white head, and decent carbonation to boot. Nothing to write home to mom about, but it loooks like what I paid for.Smell of sweet & fruity esters along with some slight maltiness and barely detectable hoppiness. Taste is excellent. I remember trying this in the past and being a little unimpressed..it seemed a bit "all over the place". Not this time. Taste is quite good with apples, oranges, grapes detected in the the taste. A bit sweeter than most triples, but the carbonation helps balance this a bit, but not quite enough..this beer after a few sips tends to be a bit too sweet. Decent mouthfeel that's crisp at first but turns a bit syrupy. Alcohol is masked well. I'm impressed. Victory seems to get better & better. A good attempt at a tough style.

2.31/5  rDev -37.9%

According to the label, it was bottled in May 2003.

Judging by everyone else's reviews, I must be out of my mind. But hear me out...

Appearance: great sparkly golden color, fluffy billowous pure white head, lots of rising bubbles, nice lacing, LOOSE sediment!

Aroma: blooming nose of delicate hops, a touch of orange-blossom honey and malt

Flavor: cushiony malt sweetness takes the lead with a very subtle balance of hops, twinge of orange, sweetness akin to an over-ripe braeburn or fuji apple, finish is sweet with a lingering syrupy quality, beer gets sweeter with every sip until it becomes cloying

Mouthfeel: medium body, tingly but fine carbonation, lots of alcohol warmth with quite a bit of "after-burn" (not a good thing!)

Overall Impression: Damn disappointing. Actually had to dump it. It's too cloyingly sweet and the alcohol afterburn is not pleasant. I dinged it big-time in the Drinkability category for that. Also, the sediment in the bottle was very loose. A big cloud of it stirred up just by taking the bottle out of the fridge. No big deal, just bad form. Victory can do much better than this. Did they forget an addition of bittering hops?

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer was recently added to the taps at my local bar, and I felt adventurous last evening, so I took a pint of Victory's monkey. Now to preface, this was my first tripel and I may not have the right idea of what one should be, but I will review the beer as a beer, and not as an interpretation of a style. The color is not surprisingly, a bright yellow/golden that is topped by a head of white lace. First smell is of faint alcohol, and fruit. The taste is interesting. There is a certain bit of malt to it, and flavors of clove and light citrus with banana as the most prevalent fruit. The finish is dry and alcoholic, spicy and almost sour. Now, I keep mentioning the alcohol content, but while drinking this it never detracted from the beer. It is very well masked behind a well structured arrangement of sweetness and spice (and everything nice, ha ha). I would certainly try this again, and the style is intriguing to say the least.

4.16/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I've been saving this one for the right time. Now its Sunday afternoon, I'm about to finish painting the woodwork, and I need a beer. Maybe a cold lager would be a better choice, but this is what I really want.

From the 12oz bottle, poured neatly with a turbulent mixture of sediment, very nice tight head. A few droplets of liquid danced briefly on top of the foam before sinking through. Beautiful patterns in the foam as inconsistent carbonation feeds the different areas of the beer. The smell is somewhat subdued, and ints at those early batches of homebrew. The taste is very welcoming. Fruity, Yeasty, Malty, and a surprising crispness that leaves the mouth dry. Subtle flavors are left after the swallowing that aren't normal beer flavors, but really compliment the profile.

A few sips into it and its girth announces itself. Painting suddenly seems more enjoyable. This is a very accessible Belgian style beer, and I must remember to suggest it to friends who are willing to make the step.

4.13/5  rDev +11%

Pours cloudy burnt yellow with a medium white head. Mega dose of floaties in here. I can smell the yeast, along with strong spices and banana. Mouthful is thick and creamy. A certain slickness about it. Taste is quite smooth and spicy, with some sour whisky qualities. More banana (but not too much) and spices. Wet finish with no indication whatsoever of the high abv. Sweet sugar here as well.

High marks for drinkability considering the high alcohol.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown