Golden Monkey | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Golden MonkeyGolden Monkey

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: Tripel

A magical, mystical Monkey whose golden sole glows with the wisdom of the ages. This radiant ale is rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing. Our Golden Monkey is both playfully delightful and profoundly satisfying. Exotic spice from the East rounds out this global journey to joy. Get on board. This Monkey's bound for glory!

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Reviews: 1,761 | Ratings: 5,476
2.54/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I used to love it. Until around 2014 this really tasted and acted like a great trippel: the head didn't fall, it smelled great and tasted great too. I think they started using cheaper hops and yeast, and now I can barely tell it's a trippel, the carbonation is bigger, and it tastes more strongly like alcohol even though the alcohol content is about the same. Also, it just came out in . . . cans!? and seemed at the same time to take another downhill turn in quality. Too bad: I miss the version I used to get a couple of years ago.

2.29/5  rDev -38.4%

not sure how they call this a triple. Tastes more like a super spiced farmhouse.
L-pale yellow good head that dies quickly
S-smells of spice. Almost more like an ipa smell.
T-taste rich and strong Belgian hops. More like a farmhouse ale with a slight spice to it in till after then it burns like a shot of cheap whiskey.
F-smooth at first with a finish like burning shot of 151.
O-if it was hot and I chugged the whole beer probably ok. It is not in the category of any triple I have ever had.

3.09/5  rDev -16.9%

Not great on the nose. A bit phenolic and peppery.

Looks decent for a tripel but is a bit cloudy. Head falls fast

Hides alcohol fairly well but does not have the presence that I would cask tripe. Tastes like a phenolic, estery, overspiced heavy. It did cover the alcohol taste but not warmth. It's drinkable but not what I associate with Belgian tripel. Critically the taste is that of a lighter beer jacked on Kandi syrup or crystal malt and a yeast that barely managed to survive the fermentation. On the other hand it is very drinkable for the punch it packs.

Thin, not the heavy depth and clean alcohol feel I'd expect from a Belgian trip. Peppery aftertaste. Prickly, no sharp carbonation.

I would say this beer is mislabeled. I would not put this in the tripel category. As harsh as that sounds I am judging it against what I expected., this is something else. That something else I can't nail down as I have a pretty good buzz. Maybe a strained British no 2 but not a Belgian tripel.

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Very clear golden color with about a finger of white head.
S- cloves, peppers, and alcohol.
T- Ok at first. But you the alcohol is a bit much. The is a weird bitterness at the end.
F- Leave a burn in the back of the throat.
Overall- This feels like what a belgium triple would taste like if it was made by Budwieser. Not awful, but can be much better. It feels like they went cheap on this one. With so many great tripels out there, I don't see myself getting this one again!!!!

3.03/5  rDev -18.5%

Had on tap. A one finger white creamy dense head with piss poor retention. The beer is golden in color with some straw color hues. The clarity is murky with some carbonation visible.

The beer presents with pepper, lemon, floral, caramel, bread, yeast, alcohol, grassy, cloves like phenols, and a touch fruity.

Very peppery, oranges, lemons, caramel, bready, biscuits, phenols, floral, hay, and grainy.

M: A creamy, carbonated, medium body, and some alcohol warming.

O: This beer seriously lacks refinement. The beer is more spicy than normal, the alcohol comes off abrasive. It is just an average beer nothing special. The beer has potential.

4.36/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Absolutely exceptional. To be fair I drink an ice cold one of these beers on a hot summer day, the girlfriend was on my back and everything. This made everything alright, because i got drunk enough to ignore her.

2.9/5  rDev -22%

I poured this from a bottle into a clear teardrop glass. It pours a murky golden with a thin white head. This tastes unlike any beer I've ever had, and it isn't my thing. Way, way too spicey and too much of an alcohol taste.

3.74/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Clear golden ale, dense white bubbles and a decently endiring head.

Clean if simple notes of hops, candi sugar, some grassy florals.

Taste meets the expectations of the nose. Inidentifiable spices, alcohol, dry hops. Aftertaste is clean and allows some sweet malt to come through.

Overall, very nice.

4.52/5  rDev +21.5%

Maybe I'm just new to Belgian style ales, but this is a win for me. Usually an IPA guy, it's a nice change from the norm. The golden monkey is a strong, heavy but not too heavy, spicy brew. The initial is a front of alcohol that smoothes away with a lingering malty spice. Give it a shot, kind of a funky brew. Definitely keeping it stocked in the beer cooler.

Glowing clear gold with one finger of white head. O.K. retention with nice lacing.
Smell is spicey fruity banana clove and bubblegum.
Taste is similar to the smell. Nice yeast flavor with all the rest.
Mouthfeel is light to medium and good carbonation. Finish is lightly dry with a long finish.
Overall a tasty high proof brew that was quite pleasant.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a deep golden color.

Overall: Aroma is of the strong clove spice. The taste contains coriander, clove with hints of banana for a smooth and refreshing finish. Great mixture of spices and a little bit of bitterness for an outstanding beer!

3.06/5  rDev -17.7%

Golden pour, substantial yeast particles throughout the beer. Aroma had apples, hot alcohol, grain.

Taste gave more sweet and boozy apple notes. Interesting yeast esters, not heavy on the spice rack. Found it to be pretty hot.

4.06/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This one is going to be a lot shorter then normal for me. Looks decent, with a single finger of head that didn't lace but retained well and a murky yellow body without a lot of carbonation. Smells gingering and kinda tastes the same. I like it as it compliments to fruitier yeast and curbs it with a nice spice undertone, but it does seem to overpower a lot of the beer. Easy to drink, light on the system, I would certainly recommend. Thumbs up.

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%

Maybe I don't know what a Triple should be but I really liked Golden Monkey. It's a sweet creamy fruity ale. The bubble gum hint was a little weird but okay. I'd have it again.

3.62/5  rDev -2.7%

My first Tripel. Poured from a bottle into a glass.

A medium golden color. Dense, creamy head that faded away.
Smells spicy and fruity.
Tastes fruity and phenolic, a touch of bubble gum and spice.
An alcohol kick at the end with a spicy, floral aftertaste. Strong alcohol presence.
Feels a little sticky. Full bodied and somewhat warming.

It's a sipper.

3.49/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Tripels are usually more "present." This is good, but has sort of wine-cooler vibe to me. Pours honey gold with a ginormous head that dissipates to a fair amount of lacing. Smells of banana and clove, tastes of lemon and Belgian candy sugar. Highly carbonated. Alcohol is hiding and could beat me up. Overall I'm glad I tried it, but I wont be buying a six pack of this.

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

Some triples have a foul after taste. Sprecher comes to mind. This one has a hint of that taste. With so many great triples out there I'm gonna keep trying them. Allagash triple is still my #1. West male is also really good.

4.38/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For a 9.5% ABV beer you sure don't taste the booze. This beer is smooth all the way. I got a lot of banana - clove flavors similar to a Hefeweizen style beer. I'm not sure if that was the intent. But this is a pretty amazing beer - I'm so glad my boss got me a 6-pack of this stuff.

4.77/5  rDev +28.2%

This is a great beer. It's a beer that I find myself getting every time I go to the store. The look of the beer is a golden color, the smell is like a strong apple juice with some almost floral notes. The taste is starts off light but explodes as it sits in your mouth. Mouth feel is light, and the best part about this beer is that there is little to no aftertaste. I recommend this beer to anyone, as it is one of my favorites.

2.44/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours a dehydrated golden color with a thick frothy white head that quickly dissipates leaving nothing - no lacing, no film, nothing.

Smell is of sweet apple juice spiced with coriander and pepper with undertones of yeast coming through. You can smell the sweetness in this beer.

Taste follows the nose initially with a blend of yeast pepper and clove. Bit of an apple juice type flavor underneath with expected sweetness ... and then ... YIKES. All the sudden the flavors all give way to a strong alcoholic flavor - think hard liquor type flavor. This is supposed to be a tripel?

Feel is very thin for a tripel. Medium carbonation giving way to a very unpleasant alcoholic burn.

Overall this beer isn't great on its own. I'd say its below average. Put it against other Tripels and its downright awful.

3.87/5  rDev +4%

Very light in color (lager-like gold), though there is a nice cap that is well-retained, and solid lacing, as well. Smell is much more interesting and impressive. Sweet esthers combine with rich, malty complexity, and I definitely taste some dried fruit in there, too. Taste is sneaky interesting. Seems like a straightforward lager, but then you get hit with banana, bubble gum, and alcohol that is present without being overly aggressive. Reminds me of a big wheat, but distinctly smoother. At 9.5% ABV, this strikes me as a beer I could have more of than I should!

4.39/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It does not taste like the other tripples I have had but that does not matter to me. It has a very nutty taste and then a slight sour taste. A bit hoppy. Warm and summery. The taste is very unique and complex. Love this beer. Yummy

1.85/5  rDev -50.3%

This one is easy to review. It's not a Tripel. It doesn't even resemble anything close to a Tripel. This tastes exactly like they took a high gravity malt liquor, added some sugar syrup, a couple of shakes of spice and ground up children's aspirins. Then bottled it and slapped "Tripel" on the bottle. Just get something else. Cheap malt liquor would at least save you 1/2 your money. Another bastard and stylized crapfest that is Victory.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: crystal clear; medium gold in color; 1 finger white head that receded to a thin collar; OK lacing;

S: clove, banana, pepper; a hint of floral;

T: clove and banana from start to finish; a little orange up front; a little tobacco toward the end; very little bitterness;

M: medium bodied; moderate to high carbonation; moderately dry finish;

O: very nice;

2.92/5  rDev -21.5%

I've tried this brew several times. The first time I could barely finish my sampler. Today, it's only marginally better. Pours hazy amber with evidence of the bottle conditioning. Definitely a belgian as it has that banana tone. I'm just not a fan of belgians or this particular example.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown