Golden Monkey | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Tripel

A magical, mystical Monkey whose golden sole glows with the wisdom of the ages. This radiant ale is rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing. Our Golden Monkey is both playfully delightful and profoundly satisfying. Exotic spice from the East rounds out this global journey to joy. Get on board. This Monkey's bound for glory!

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Ratings: 5,644 |  Reviews: 1,796
1.46/5  rDev -60.8%

I do enjoy Tripels and other Belgium style beers, but this one was hard to swallow. The appearance was fine, but that is as far as it goes. I had a hard time identifying any of the ingredients, but I did taste fruit and something sour. It had a very strong aftertaste. The aftertaste stays with you even after you drink other beers to cover it up. I would not recommend this Tripel. I would rather drink Schlitz or Olde English. Sorry Victory Brewing, Golden Monkey is not my cup of tea...er...beer.

1.52/5  rDev -59.1%

1.64/5  rDev -55.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

Hands down the most disgusting beer I've ever tasted. Pours a neon lemon-lime gatorade yellow. Smells like bubble gum. Overwhelmingly strong. Tastes like bubble gum, pine needles, and wood. Way too strongly hopped - not sure if fits the style, but this beer is just gross. Unpalatable even. Read the other reviews to see if it's something you'd like. Mine is biased in the numbers, but I couldn't even finish this one.

1.64/5  rDev -55.9%

1.66/5  rDev -55.4%

not one I will have again, as much as it pains me to say this, I would rather have an over produced American Lager, light Lager or pilsner than the Golden Monkey

It pours well, and is a golden style with some hints of orange

The smell is of wheat, and no obvious hops

The taste is not a pleasant one, I had a couple of more sips just to make sure it was as bad as I had remembered. IT WAS, I am an admitted IPA, and stout fan, this wheat beer is simply not good. I will not buy this beer ever again, but I will be back to Victory for plenty of the Prima Pills, and Hop Devil!

1.69/5  rDev -54.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

This is the worst Tripel I've ever had.

1.69/5  rDev -54.6%

09/21/13
AROMA is Yeast. Wang.
LOOK: Bright gold yellow appearance.
TASTE: More Wang in taste. Too much sour yeast, not enough everything else.
FEEL: Flat.

Not funny...not fun."

1.7/5  rDev -54.3%

I feel this beer demands getting to the point so here it is.

Clean and simple. That's really all I need to say but to expand the beer is cloudy and hazy from a lot of yeast. It sadly stops with the good stuff there. The flavor is clean and crisp for the style but I'm not thrilled with it. It is simple, boring, and lacks the nuances or character you'd hop for. What is left is everything boring and well bad with the Belgian yeasts.

Avoid, pass on and if you thought this was a well done review this is the beer for you. If you think I was rushing to put together words to score a crappy beer....well you nailed it. Still this is bad.

1.72/5  rDev -53.8%

I did not think this was a good beer. I read about this beer in a myrtle beach news paper reporting about how craft beer is a "new thing". I still can not figure out how they report crafting beer is a brand new outta the box kinda thing. They recommend beers such as Newcastle and blue moon.(craft beers?) I like both of those beers there almost nostalgic to me growing up. New castle was the first beer I actually bought as a 21 year old in upstate NY.

SO, Golden Monkey. The name sounds cool and the label looked makeshift. i like that kinda thing. Do you remember the labels on old TV sitcoms when they drank beer before widespread sponsorship from major corporations? It made me think of that.(I had a few beers before so I was kinda abstract.If ya know what I mean.) It did not look like a Fancy "Fear and loathing", label on a beer bottle. I poured it into a pint glass. A pretty good head. I was quite dark in the bar so i can"t really describe the color. The smell was bananas strait up bananas!. The Taste was not! it was very bitter, too bitter, way too bitter. I told my girlfriend it was like eating a pound of bananas and swiging orange peel flavored Mr. Boston charcoal filtered vodka. Then puking that all up and the after-taste left in my mouth would have been Golden Monkey. I wanted to buy some Golden Monkey and give it to my friends and pretend it was a quintessential item to my existence. Then see the look on there faces as they coughed up some pure banana bile. I was purely disappointed because that was the only beer in that news paper article the seemed to be intriguing to me. You live and learn. I do not recommend this to beer to most people but i know there are people that think this is the greatest achievement since the cell phone. Hey was was made for Christ sake.

1.72/5  rDev -53.8%

poured into a tulipp glass, very light foam, almost no lacing, smell is spicy, yeast with some hints of corriander and subtle hoppyness, taste is a.b.v strong, and it kinda takes away from the whole "triple" effect. it pured into a nice golden un-filtered color. im forced to enjoy triples from belgium only. this didnt really didnt make as a triple in my book. more of a spiced double lager. sorry folks...i didnt want to upset anyone.but i will not recomend this to anyone.

1.76/5  rDev -52.7%

Poured thick and golden, little or no carbonation, opaque. No head. Smelled slighlty sweet/sour with hints of citrus. Tasted like the inside of a homeless person's shoe stuffed full of hops and Lemon Pledge. Worst beer I've ever tasted. After forcing that first one down, I just kept it in the fridge and unloaded it on unsuspecting hop fetishists.

1.83/5  rDev -50.8%

Poured into a big tulip glass,a light golden color.Not a lot of head just a white covering of foam.Massive amounts of particles floating in the beer, could not even see the carabination.Very cloudy.
The aroma was yeasty,spicey,clovey,some different spices,don't know what they are.
The taste was clovey,yeasty,breaddy,spicey,taste of alcohol.Sour and tart flavor arise at the end.
A medium body,slighly cloying,a prickley alcohol finish.As for drinkabilty,I just couldn't finish this beer. A disappointing beer from
Victory for me,one my favorite breweries.

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown