Golden Monkey | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Tripel

A magical, mystical Monkey whose golden sole glows with the wisdom of the ages. This radiant ale is rich in the spirited tradition of Belgian-inspired brewing. Our Golden Monkey is both playfully delightful and profoundly satisfying. Exotic spice from the East rounds out this global journey to joy. Get on board. This Monkey's bound for glory!

Added by purplehops on 09-17-2001

Ratings: 5,776 |  Reviews: 1,823
1.85/5  rDev -50.3%

This one is easy to review. It's not a Tripel. It doesn't even resemble anything close to a Tripel. This tastes exactly like they took a high gravity malt liquor, added some sugar syrup, a couple of shakes of spice and ground up children's aspirins. Then bottled it and slapped "Tripel" on the bottle. Just get something else. Cheap malt liquor would at least save you 1/2 your money. Another bastard and stylized crapfest that is Victory.

1.86/5  rDev -50%

This beer used to be good it was spicy with a hint of Fruit.

NOW it taste like bad banana bread or like banana Now or Later candy sorta of gross and leaves a really bad aftertaste in your mouth. We used to really like this beer but we’re very disappointed in the new taste.

What ever they changed is not good.

Victory Brewery bring back the old Golden Monkey.

1.88/5  rDev -49.5%

One of the worst beers ever made....Way to sweet. More like a first timers beer. Very disappointing. For the price your better off getting a chimay tripple. For the taste... your better off with a bud lite. I like the lable though. Wish it tasted at least as good as it looked.

1.89/5  rDev -49.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

1.94/5  rDev -47.8%

This is a B+ on BeerAdvocate? I really don't know how. With beer that has such a high ABV you need to do things to mask the alcohol taste.

This has a strong cutting taste that reminded me of something...something not good. The appearance is actually pretty nice but the party ends there. If you can finish one, there is no way you can finish another...

Cool bottle though.

1.97/5  rDev -47%

The multiple taps of Golden Monkey I’ve consumed over the past several weeks in an attempt to understand why so many people enjoy this beer were a complete waste of space in my belly where better beer could have been. Golden Monkey could be appropriately renamed Sugar Monkey. It’s main aroma and flavor is sugar. The yeast works and so does the appearance but other wise I am done trying this beer. The syrupiness churns my stomach. Way, way too much sugar. Blech!

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Presented in a 12oz. brown bottle (same as in pic) with a "bottled on" date of 09-09-02 on it. Poured a nice hazy golden color with a foamy, bubbly whitish head and a large column of bubbles rising up from the middle of the glass.
Smell: WTF?! Okay, maybe this is a bad bottle. This had a sour, vinegary aroma overriding the spicy pepper and alcohol notes. Smelled vaguely rotten.
Taste: seriously, what is this? Tastes of red vinegar, pepper and alcohol - a sour, acidic, citrusy melange that was distasteful.
Feel was full, bubbly and dry.
I have to guess this was a bad bottle. If it's not, this would rank as one of the worst I've let past my lips. Lord knows I tried my best but ended up dumping the last 6oz. Golden Monkey's appearance and mouthfeel are quite appealing. However, the slightly rotten sourness leads me to one word: undrinkable. I'm happy I only bought one.

First, a disclaimer: I LOVE Tripel, as a style. One of my favorites, actually.
Second disclaimer: I was feeling rather generous with these numbers.

A: Looks promising -- hazy apricot with ample foam.
But no, it's all downhill from the looking stage...

S: Nasty. Sulfur to the extreme. What happened here? Underneath the sulfur (no small feat there) I get highly metallic mineral water. The more I smell it, the more I am reminded of gastric acid.

T: Getting past the sulfuric aroma (again, no small feat), I encounter a bouquet of....shellac, second-rate crafts store potpourri, peppercorns, bananas, cotton candy, and bell peppers. Lots of flavours, but unfortunately they're not good ones.

M: All fizz with no roundness or bite, and a sticky sweetness left behind.

D: I wonder if I got a faulty bottle here, but after perusing some of the other reviews, perhaps this is how it is supposed to taste. As it is, I find it hardly fit for human consumption. I usually trust the Victory name to the extreme (Prima Pils, anyone?), but I'm seriously considering a sink-pour, although at this point it would be akin to flushing $2 down the drain.
Not good at all. In the words of the Boys of Python, "This is not a [beer] for drinking. This is a [beer] for putting down and avoiding."

Postscript: the thought occurred to me that allowing the beverage to warm in the glass to cellar/room temp. would help its profile some. It did, to be sure, but unfortunately not enough to inspire me to change my numbers. Or buy this beer ever again: it simply saved it from going down the drain.
If you want a Tripel, get one brewed by monks (Or, at the very least, one that comes from Quebec or Maine). Seriously, the good people at Victory need to add a caveat to the label: "Warning! Do NOT drink this beer directly out of the refrigerator!"

Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown