Hop Devil Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,497 | Ratings: 7,182
4.95/5  rDev +21.9%

Finally sitting here with a bottle of the legendary HopDevil out of the Victory variety pack....here we go.

Appearance-flawless, a gorgeous red amber color with a huge foamy head that stays and stays and stays, exceptional clarity with active carbonation.

Smell-spicy hop aroma combined with sweet fruit malt, alcohol also seeps through the nostrils but the hops overtake everything by quite a bit.

Taste-velvetey smooth with a rich taste, dark malts puncuate at first followed by a large hop bite, very spicy kicks with some darker flavor (almost chocolate but not quite) seeping through. Viciously flavorful and quite delicious.

Mouthfeel-dark on the palette, hop bite is nice, very flavorful on the palette, a pleasure to drink.

Drinkability-flavorful to the death and deviously drinkable. A top-notch ale that should be enjoyed in all circumstances.

Overall-I am angry that I was so late in finally getting to drink this fabulous beer. A sheer pleasure to drink in every respect and a beer that has acheived its fanfare and fame through sheer drinkability and hop character. A must-try.

4.95/5  rDev +21.9%

pours a somewhat hazy dark amber color with good white foam.

smells like sweet malts and big hops. seems great so far.

taste is quite balanced at first but falls into a heavy hop aftertaste. sweet malts upfront, a little bit fruity at first but then into a nice hop kick. alcohol is quite present. it's damn good.

mouthfeel probably couldn't be better. very pleasant. typical nice balanced IPA. not too heavy not too light. good balance like i said. a great brew.

4.94/5  rDev +21.7%

On the heavier, richer side, but dry and balanced enough to not wear on your palate. Very little sweetness, but lots of body and rich, bready malt character that blends perfectly with the hops. I only wish I could brew an IPA this good.

As a side note, the carbonation level right out of the bottle is just perfect. I expected to have to pour gently, since most brews are a bit overcarbed in my taste, but this one came out creamy and gentle, with a very gentle carbonic bite. Bonus points!

This is a great IPA that deserves to be on your 'every day' beer list (along side Prima Pils, of course).

edit: just figured out what this brew reminds me of - Sierra Nevada Celebration.

4.94/5  rDev +21.7%

Grinning ear-to-ear now that my local carries this. I was expecting an overpowering glass of hops and got a beautifully balanced big IPA. Compares to a SN Celabration but softer with less bite. $7.99/six is gonna set me back some cash over time.

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

Pop the top and the hops don't stop!!! Tastes as good as it smells. This is the beer that drove me over the edge to hop heaven. I am now an admitted hop-head and it's spoiled me for life. Every morning I wake up and crave the hoppy after-taste and it's all because of HopDevil. I can't live without it. Join the Hop Celebration!!

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

Amber-orange pour with a very slight haze and some whitish foam.

Incredible in your face sweet hoppiness. Amorphous citrus dominates, but a definite malty backbone exists.

Wow. Incredible hoppiness dominates the palate. Long, lingering but pleasant bitterness. Strong malty background. Caramel, toasted.

Easily the most incredibly drinkable and most balanced IPA I've had. Perfect for cold sipping nights or warm summer afternoons.

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

A- dark amber, lasting head, delicate ephemeral lacing
S - piney, citrusy
T - bitter...no sweet...no spicy...no, wait bitter again...
M - smooth, balanced carbonation, clean finish
D - 5.0 exceptional, never disappointing

With apologies to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle...

To 007, she was always the beer. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her style. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for HopDevil. All emotions,and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind. He was, I take it, the most perfect reasoning and observing machine that the world has seen, but as a beer-lover he would have placed himself in a false position. He never spoke of the softer passions, save with a gibe and a sneer.

They were admirable things for the observer -- excellent for drawing the veil from beer's motives and actions. But for the trained reasoner to admit such intrusions into his own delicate and finely adjusted palate was to introduce a distracting factor which might throw a doubt upon all his results. And yet there was but one beer to him, and that beer was the great HopDevil.

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

From the recently discovered journals of a beer lover.

Years ago before I was into beer tasting, I forgoed picking up a sixer of this for the more familiar and fantastic Stone IPA. Gargoyles, guardians against evil, must have protected me with their bright citric West coast flavors. Then, it vanished from the shelves. Lurking beneath the surface of a budding america beer culture the beast from the east planned its victory like Lovecraft's Cthulu. Now that its back. The hopdevil has me. I'll drink it likes its my last. Like their is a hellhound on my trail...

This beer unleashes demoniac lupulin lust while satiating my desire for morose malts. So sinful yet so delicious, its our nature to love the drink and this beer pulls that yen right out of me. Thick with a blood red undertone. Thick creamy satanic head locks in the flavors.

I smell dough. Baked fresh from the ovens of Babylon. Something smells of beer's most ancient secrets. Sinister yet delectable. A danky and oily tincture of hops stews sinisterly with roasted malts of the most english character. That seducer of women chocolate lurks in the background.

I am awed by the diverse hop flavors. They taunt me, the lupulin lover I am with their phantasmagoric sleep of floral, herbal and danky character. Truly the beast of sleep. This rough beast slouches with a doughy and biscuity English malt spine. Dark fruits howl "plum, apricot, raisin."

This thick elixir both pulverizes and perfects me. I am energized by the refreshing healthy malts but my love for this potent hop madness pulls me into a daydream.

I dream that all beer can be this good.

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

One of my favorites. Great tasting and well balance of hop's and malt's. It has the right balance of sweetness/bitterness. This would be a great beer to introduce to your friends. For the price, very good friends. It was well balanced in a sweet/tartness that I liked. A very complex beer with loads of fruit and flavor!

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

Wow! The hops just explode on the palate. Lovely reddish brown color. Nice creamy head but doesn't last long. Leaves a decent lace. I love the pungent hoppy aroma and the faint citrusy notes. Exceptional finish, you get a nice hop burn long after the last sip has gone down. One of the 5 best American Pale Ales I have ever had. Oddly, it's not that easy to find in neighboring Ohio. I hope I can track down Victory's other offerings.

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

i had this at the Connecticut real ale festival and it was wonderful a stand out among standouts a true historically correct IPA with great body mouth feel and balance.hop heads and malt freaks alike will love this one. if you can find it on cask its a must!!!

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

Hazy and orange if not copper in colour. Hihly retentive head, as should be the case with an offering like this. Aromas thick with grapefruit and sweet malty balance intertwined with a solid bready, yeasty goodness. Hardly shy on the palate, this one is smooth on the tongue with fantastic flavors of citrus and breadiness that cannot be beat. Spicy finish with a balancing malty sweetness. Perhaps the creme de la creme of beers: balanced, aromatic, flavorful, and not too high in alcohol. Certainly, IMHO, far better on cask than in bottle or on tap elsewhere than the brewpub itself. For its style, it is the best, hands down. Granted, it can be "big" for a person who is not a hop lover... that, however, is not my problem.

Zum wohl!

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

very bold hoppy and smooth all around a damn good beer. this is the beer that got me into good beer. for me it's a classic. It always has a damn good color and body. Hoppy and bitter. I first took a chance on it outside of Pittsburgh at a random dive bar, hollywood gardens in rochester twp. One drink and i could never go back to drinking shitty lagers. Little did i know that this was just a start to the many great beers I have drinken since.

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Wow! Some IPAs just bite you and are sometimes hard to swallow. This offering has an excellent amber appearance that leaves a clinging lace all the way down the glass. Smell is floral and not overpowering. The taste has a floral quality that is absolute perfection, just enough to add to the character, but not overpowering. The mouthfeeel is outstanding. It goes down easy and leaves a reminder of its hopping in a pleasantly bitter aftertaste. Suprisingly, this brew is very drinakable, even though the ABV is up there. Of all the IPAs I've tried, by far the best.

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

This is simply my favorite beer in the world right now. It is so bold but yet devoid of the taste of a contrived gimicky beer, which I have found ot be the case with some hoppy beers. These guys know how to brew a super-hoppy beer, no doubt about it. The aromas and flavors that this beer will fill you with are unparalleled. It is such a clean drink with such a wonderful aftertaste that I frequently find myself craving it.

The color is drop dead gorgeous.... the taste is out of this world.... if I could walk around with this beer in my mouth all day long I would be the happiest man alive, who needs to eat and talk anyway.

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent Beer and priced right. My go to IPA. Their Dirt Wolf is amazing as well. Victory is a great brewery. Love a good IPA and this is one of the best.

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

I feel bless and cursed in living so close to Victory - less than 15 minutes away. As usual quality is exceptional with all their brews, but this weekend the finest balance, smoothest drinking HopDevil was available on the hand pump. The hops were there with fruity flavor and delicious bouquet and malty finish. It was considered desert after a great round of golf.

4.87/5  rDev +20%

I'm drinking it right now....yep, that's downright tasty. Any attempt I make to put the tasting experience into words will simply denegrate the experience and would be laden with subjective inference.
Enjoy it for yourself sometime...I can't possibly convey to you the joy this particular beer has provided me...and you will never really taste THIS particular beer anyway...

As Heraclitus said: we never drink the same beer twice.

Drink well.

4.87/5  rDev +20%

A: poured from 12 oz bottle (bbd Oct 4, 12) into a pint glass, orange amber with a 1" off white head that lingers leaving good lacing, slightly hazy
S: beautiful floral citrus hops, orange, lemon, pine, caramel malt
T: big hops perfectly balanced with a great malt backbone, finish is dry with good hop flavor, notes of citrus and above scents
M: good carbonation, medium body, great lingering aftertaste, no hint of alcohol
O: this is a fine IPA with a perfect flavor profile, it is perfectly balanced, it is one of the better American IPAs widely available

4.87/5  rDev +20%

this devil pours out hazy, slightly murky dark rust colour. a small but thick off white head reduces to a sticky lace. although it's obvious that there is mighty hop load in this beer, what impresses me is the malty aroma that stands up to the usually nasal piercing hoppiness. upon tasting, it's a total malt and hop assault, battling out on the battlefield known as my tongue. malts seem very bready and sweet...full bodied...super malty mouthfeel....easy drinking...tasty floral hopping and just the perfect amount of bitterness in the finish. this is one of the few IPA's where i actually think the malt outduels the hop in the profile...and it's welcome.

perfectly balanced and extremely delicious.

thanks to frank4sail for the devilish sample.

4.87/5  rDev +20%

I've been meaning to try this beer for a long time and I'm glad that I finally did. In fact I wish I'd done so much earlier - this is an excellent beer for a hophead like me.

Holding the glass up to the setting sun coming in through my window shows the most wonderful amber colour with plenty of rising bubbles and a creamy white head. The head showing good retention and leaving a pleasing pattern of lacing on the inside of the glass.

Much citrus in the aroma, with a good hit of malty toffeeness. The hops are to the fore in the mouth but the malt is rounding things off in the background. The hops certainly do their fun little dance at the back of the mouth as it goes down though. Very satisfying in its balance. Perfect mouthfeel - not too full, not too thin, not too carbonated.

One of the best beers I've tried for a good while.

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

This is a beautiful beer. Nice head, off-white some what brown, leaves a nice lace on the side of the glass. Smells wonderful, there must be hops in there. And there most certainly are. The taste is amazing, lovely hops exploding all over the taste buds-spicy: tastes graet and feels great This has become one of my favorites.

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

The hop devil lives up to the hype. Nice red-amber color, darker than I expected. Very big hoppy nose. Nice easy taste, lingered on the tongue.Big spice flavor, florals, hops, is there cinnamon in there ? It sure tasted like it to me. Strong bitterness at the end wakes you up and demands another taste. A proven winner and worth the wait. I have been trying to get it in Florida for a while.

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

In a word...HOPPY! This pours to a dark reddish orange, with medium off-white head that lingers long and leaves very good lacing on the glass. The aroma is immediately strong, grassy hops, and the flavor follows suit perfectly. Mouthfeel is tangy and bitter, and the finish is long and bitter, just perfect. The hops were by far the outstanding feature of this beer, and it is very aptly named.

Got this on a trip to NC, and just wish we could find it here in Atlanta.

An Excellent Beer!!

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

This is one of the first craft beers I really got into, almost 10 years ago. Could be the weaning or a regional bias, but I find HopDevil to be one of the top 5 most-drinkable brews in my life. I love it swilled out of the bottle, in a plastic cup at Phils' games, or the "correct" way - poured into a pint.

Any time I have it out of a glass/cup, whether from draft or from bottle, there's always a beefy head - product of the hops used maybe, I don't know for sure. Fairly clean-filtered look, but an awesome deep reddish-orange hue - reminiscent, sort of, of the color of certain doppelbocks or maybe a Vienna lager.

The aroma is unmistakable - a little fuzzy-piney, quite pungent citrus, and perhaps a punch of malty sweetness rounding it out. Could be getting some toasted notes as well. Mouth-watering.

The citrus element bursts forth in the taste, taking on subtle grapefruit notes. A bold, spicy, vaguely peppermint, jolt invigorates (then scrubs) the tongue and a moderately sugar sweet malt base brings everything together (Sly Fox Phoenix Pale Ale exhibits similar characteristics). Hardly crisp or dry throughout - drinks a bit like IPA soda pop.

I've never had a moment with this beer where I wasn't in mad lust. Helps living in the area, where the price for a six-pack seems chucklingly low. I love it. Love it.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown