Hop Devil Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,494 | Ratings: 7,173
3.56/5  rDev -12.3%

A- slightly transparent amber color with a slight off white two finger head. light to medium lacing.

S- alil fruity (not hoppy grapefruit) for an ipa.

T- nothing to crazy. as an ipa i would expect more of a hop attack and for this one it's kinda light. still good tho.

M- light bodied. nice carbonation.

D- very good. prolly drink a whole 6 no problem.

Overall- start off negative.... for the name hop devil i was expecting more of a hop attack. other then that it's pretty good. i would say this is a good ipa to those who aren't crazy about a heavy hop load like bell's two hearted and what not. i give it a thumbs up no prob.

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured into a standard American pint glass. Medium sized head to it. A deep amber color. A bitter piney scent under woody cherry tones. Tastes oak, a sharp bitter taste, hoppy taste, but not as hoppy in scent.

Has the standard IPA feel to it, typical of (if one so calls it) an America IPA. Bitter with lots of hop appeal. Yet the hoppiness only comes through on the drink, the scent (which I feel is most important in an IPA) is not as prevalent on other beers such as Brooklyn or Blue Points Hopnotical (which is great BTW).

Too bitter on the mouth, which decreases the enjoyment of the actual drink. Has a crunchieness to it, with what seems like a very cherry flavored and lemon twist?

Overall a very confusing beer, yet has its upside as good hoppy tasteing beer, but not something I would want to go out of my way to drink often.

Victory's Prima Pils is another story!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz received from seanpachefddfa and the East Coast Beer Tour LIF.... poured into my shaped SA glass. thanks Sean.

2 finger head disappears quickly.... no lacing.. descent cap.. brew is a hop hazed sunset orange.

aroma is fairly muted.. some citrus and spicy hops are noted.. but there is quite a bit of malt going on here.

fairly bitter out of the gate melts into the thick pale and light caramel malts... hop flavors are a pithy grapefruit.. resinous yet earthy hoppiness.. body is pretty standard for an AIPA.. so is the carbonation... finish is long and fairly harsh bitterness.

Not bad.. just not great.. seems sorta one dimensional.

Thanks again Sean!

3.5/3.5/3.5/4/3.5

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. It's been a long time coming since I've last had this beer, over a year now at least. I'm interested to see what I think of it now after all that time, since I remember enjoying it. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a coppery burnt sienna orange colored body with about a finger of doughy khaki colored head. Some thin wispy cavernous lacing.

S - Smell is of amber malts, breadiness, some cream, metallic / copper presence, and a dirty herbal earthy hoppiness. Definitely not the fruity hop bomb that I usually expect from an IPA nowadays. Has that nasty dirty sock sort of smell that I sometimes find.

T - Taste follows the nose: sweet grainy maltiness, white bread, a metallic coppery mineral crispness, and a dirty earthy twiggy hop presence. More malt forward than hop bitterness, I'd say. Some spicy hop bitterness is present and some sugary green apple skin sweetness in the finish.

M - Feel is crisp, carbonated, dry, and bitter with sticky overripe green apple skin.

Overall, not my ideal American IPA. Way more malt forward than I like my IPA's, and definitely not as bitter as I thought it once was. Perhaps it would be a good starter IPA for people new to the style. A good beer, but not one I would actively seek out.

Victory Hop Devil ---3.5/5

A - Pours a copper colour with an off White head that retains well

S - Quite piney on the nose with some grapefruit and a little malt.

T - HAs a nice piney flavour up front. Followed by some grapefruit and then some bready and caramel malts.

M - Body is medium and a medium carbonation.

O - Would have liked to have seen less malt in this beer with a little more hop punch. Nonetheless a flavoursome drop.

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

Not a big fan of IPA's but this was good.

Pours a golden hazy orange color with a nice white head that stuck around until the end. Smelled of citrusy hops. Tasted about the same as the scent, a very smooth and crisp hop taste with some good background citrus flavors. Small hop bite on the tongue as it finishes, with a decent aftertaste.. not the best. Drinkability is good and mouthfeel is good, a small zing on my tongue but nothing unexpected. Overall I like this IPA compared to most others.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A slightly hazy, medium dark, yellowish-red IPA with a medium, light tan head. The smell is hoppy and piney. The taste is malty with a cedary bitterness. The body in my mouth is firm, yet softly rounded. Overall, definitely and IPA, but a bit on the hoppy side for my evolving taste.

Bright and colorful eye-catching label with a picture of some hops with devil's horns. I've heard alot of good things about this beer but it wasn't as "over the top hops" as I expected.

(source: PremierGourmet; Buffalo, NY)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to mikereaser for sending this my way as an extra!

A - pours a brownish amber with a nice one finger head that leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

S - smells of caramel malts and some piney hops

T - the taste follows the nose perfectly. Starts with a very solid bready and caramel malt profile that fades to some piney hops with a touch of citrus. This is definitely a maltier IPA, as they seem to be more dominant in the flavor profile than a typical IPA.

M - A slick, buttery mouthfeel with a medium body that goes down well

D - pretty solid east coast IPA with a nice malt profile. Not uberly complex, but pretty tasty nonetheless. If hops intimidate you, I would highly recommend this as an entry into the IPA realm.

12oz to my stone specialty ipa glass. Enjoy by 5/12/13 date

Pours a mildly carbonated golden orange with a finger of foam. Good visibility with mediocre retention and lacing. Aroma of spicy malts with a strong malt base. Orange and other citrus rind meld with some floral notes and alcohol, pretty balanced here. Taste follows the nose well, upfront spicy hop with a sturdy malted backbone. Not much of the floral or citrus notes translate well to the palate, leaving much of the flavor cut and dry hop and malt. The two balance each other well, but leave the overall flavor pretty bland- not much complexity. Feel is solid, dry and sticky, easy to drink with well concealed alcohol. Overall this beer is good in a balanced sense, however living on the west coast I'm used to my ipas ridiculously over hopped and citrusy, not something I get with this beer. As a result I disagree with it's average rating pretty dramatically. This beer just isn't for me

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Overrated. Pours clear brown with a minimal off-white head. Aroma is hoppy, but more malty than anything else. Kind of a prelude to the taste. The hops and malts were unbalanced, and both tended to take away from each other. This is an IPA for people who don't like strong, hoppy IPAs.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap while waiting for my plane at the Philly airport. Served in an imperial pilsner glass, a dark amber orange color with a foamy white one finger head that fades to a collar with good lacing. Smell is not as hoppy as I would have imagined. Some pine, lots of malt body but not too sweet. Taste is earthy and spicy hops, some pine, malt flavor is subdued, finish is very bitter. Maybe this is an old keg but I would like to see a little more hop flavor. Medium bodied with a bit too high medium carbonation, finish is pretty clean. An ok beer, but not my favorite IPA by any means.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a nice shade of dark hazy orange with a small white head.

Smell is all toasty malts and buscuit smells. Smells decent, but where are the hops.

Taste is very malty with a nice toasty buscuity flavor, a decent bit of piney hops give it a grassy bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp with a nice dryness to it.

Overall decent and drinkable, but lacking that citrusy hop flavor that I have come to love.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A nice orange-brown color, like apple cider. Good bit of off white head on top.

S: Hops.. A little bitof malt, and something a little sweet...

T: A little sweet to start, then the hops kick in.. thick and heavy... leaves a big aftertaste..

M: Maybe just a bit too carbonated for me..

D: Not one I am going to buy again. I have never been a fan of IPA's but I am always up for trying something new, and lately the 60 min and 90 min IPA's have been turning my head, so I figured I'd go for this one.. Just doesn't have the balance that I want..

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance - Copper color good head, some lacing.

Smell - Citrus and fruity smell

Taste - Has a little ting like grapefruit. Hops taste.

Mouthfeel -Malt and hops, low carbonation

Drinkability - Nice ipa, doesn't have the grapefruit taste to it. Nice beer to try. Victory does have some good beers.

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip
Best by 10/31/12 stamped on the label

A: Dark copper color, clear body, with a nice off-white head sitting on top. Moderate amount of carbonation visible. Decent lacing down the glass. Head retention is pretty slim.

S: Piney with some small citrus notes. Some dark fruit quality too. Odd.

T: Not the hop punch I was expecting from this beer. I get some pine, toasty malts, and that dark fruit I detected in the nose. That seems out of place for an IPA. Maybe this is the tobacco flavor people mention in some beers. I guess I've never eaten tobacco, so I wouldn't know exactly. Not a quality I find especially pleasing, most especially in an IPA. Pretty light bitterness. Somewhat earthy in the aftertaste.

M: Smooth and very tingly with the carbonation. Oily slickness.

O: I thought for sure this would satisfy my hop craving, but it just didn't do the job. A little underwhelmed with my first offering from Victory. The odd dark fruit flavor really threw me off here. Maybe I'll try it again down the road with a bottle that's a little more fresh.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep burnt orange color with a white head that dissipates rather quickly. A musty, earthy hop nose. A few sips and it hits me that I'm getting a strong dosage of aged cheese, maybe gouda, and maybe a little spoiled milk. A hint of smoke, though I may be confusing the aged cheese scent for smoke. Interestng, though not typical for an IPA. Not sure what to make of this so far. Taste is a little underwhelming up front. Hops are present in the palate, but don't match the smell in strength. Finsih finally brings the hops out the citrusy hop flavors, with a nice lingering bitterness. I am really a big hop head, so I tend to be rough of run-of-the-mill IPAs, that have just basic hoppiness. I'd put this beer in that category. Mouthfeel is light, with a little oily, creamy, texture. Decent IPA, but not the one for me. Not to worry, there are plenty of IPAs in the sea.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle with an "enjoy by" date of Nov 28, 2013 etched into bottle near the neck. Poured into the IPA-specific glass from Speigelau. Consumed on 11/20, so this review is written from my tasting notes and photos.

Appearance - Standard pour yields a rocky beige two-finger head with significant pocking as the bubbles slowly start to burst. Retention is excellent, and when the foam does start to recede, it leaves ample sheets of lacing with sparse gaps. The body is a deep ruby amber color, with notes of maroon and burgundy, and an orange skin colored highlight where the light passes through.

Smell - Malted grain, molasses, caramel malt and a healthy dose of hop characteristics from both the earthy and citrus sides of the aroma family. However, I can't help wonder if the aroma would be a little more pungent (in a good way) if I wasn't consuming this bottle a mere week from the "best by" date. As it is, the grain bill is the headliner to me.

Taste - Here, the malt is more present, with notes of burnt caramel, brown sugar, fresh pumpernickel, and yet somehow so are the hops. The taste is more aggressive on both fronts than the smell was. Grapefruit and citrus zest, although they are subdued, likely from the time passed between bottling and opening. Either way, this is a very balanced IPA, rather than a hop bomb. Not to my preference, but well within the style.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with some light chewiness and carbonation level that is fairly low, but still detectible and enough to provide a consistent head throughout the enjoyment of the beverage. Semisweet finish.

Overall, a solid brew, but not one I'm likely to go out of my way to grab again. That being said, I tend towards the more West Coast style IPAs, so this one just isn't to my personal preference. However, I would encourage anyone who is a fan of big, meaty IPAs to pick up a bottle.

Live review.

Bottle poured into my Hennepin glass.

A: Pours a bright and clear golden orange, 2 finger off white head settles into a small ring and film, and leaves some small, patchy lace. Lace is decent, but not the best I've seen on an IPA.

S: Pine, herbal, floral, and slight orange hop all battle while caramel comes in and slides in and out of all of it. A little spice note here and there as well.

T: Lightly bitter, mostly spicy and herbal/pine hops, doughy malt, and a little chalkiness from the yeast. Not bad.

M: Thin side of medium, decent carbonation, slick and oily on the palate.

O: Not bad. I don't think this is anywhere near the beer people make it out to be, but it's a decent IPA.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint.

A: Pours dark orange with a thin off-white head that quickly faded into a thin collar that left pretty good rings of lacing around the glass.
S: Smells of an interesting combination of orange-mint-bubblegum. There are some subtle spices to the mix as well that remind me of a winter warmer.
T: Pretty decent punch of sweet doughy crackery malt and orange zest hits your palate first followed by a light herbal and spicy hop punch. Finish is sweet and lightly bitter and oily. Aftertaste is earthy with hints of tobacco.
M: Medium body with crisp carbonation. The finish, however, is a touch syrupy and sticky which takes away from the crispness.
D: A fairly balanced to malt forward IPA. For those of you who like that, this one's for you. For those like me who like the enamel stripped from their teeth and despise balance, pick something else.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Rich and seriously hoppy. More malt and roasted flavors than most IPAs. Seems more powerful than the ABV would indicate. Attractive clear dark amber in the glass. Light bodied. Enough foam and carbonation in the mouth. Some spice in the hoppy aroma.

Bitterness is more in check than a lot of IPAs, but it does end on a dry and bitter lingering note. Some tartness. Surprising dark notes. A lot of grain flavor. A touch of flowers but more resiny and dark caramel. A clean and well made brew that should appeal to the IPA enthusiast.

12 oz bottle from Best Damn in San Diego.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Love the hops! Looked good, poured nicely and the first taste was great - nice and dry. But it had a funny finish - a little too fruity for our taste. But for a bottled IPA, not too bad.

Packaged in a 12 oz amber crown cap bottle
Served at fridge temp about 35F
Attractive California hop aroma at the bottle neck
Pours with a thick body, producing a firm, persistent off white head.
Appearance: Medium-dark amber, slightly hazy, leaves excellent lacing.
Taste: Loads of bitterness paired nicely with a dark crystal maltiness, but weak on hop flavor. Excessively earthy.
Drinkability: Medium light mouthfeel. Great balance of hops and maltiness makes for a good example of an American style IPA. Highly recommended for hop heads.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours hazy dark orange with a thick soapy head.

Smell is more floral than citrus hop. Toasted malt undertones.

Taste is bready toasted malt. Strong floral hop flavor. Very green, and bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

This is a good, but not great offering. There is more malt here than I would normally look for in an IPA. That said, this is a drinkable brew that is well worth a try.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle with a September 20 best by date. If that means 2012, this one might be pushing it.

A- Clear to brilliant light amber. Two inch head the color of coffe foam, not much retention, some lacing.

S- Toasty grain and hops.

T- Bittnerness dominates with some bready malt and some alcohol astringency in the finish.

M- On the light side of medium with lower carbonation than I expected.

O- A good hop forward IPA but I'm thinking this bottle was bit too old to be at its prime. This is one I'll have to try again.

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

poured from a 12oz bottle with a June 2011 'best by' date.

pours a deep-orange to copper color, slightly underwhelming carbonation and head retention. the aroma is a bit less than i expected. nice toasty malt, with some all-to-subtle hop notes.

taste follows the nose - somewhat uninspiring. the malt profile is quite assertive but still a nice tight finish; however, hops apparently don't do so well in hades, as the hop assertiveness is lacking for an IPA.

The mouthfeel is good - nice balance between the flavors, and this is certainly a beer you could work with all night.

bank on it - the more a brewery brags about hoppiness with a beer's name, the more underwhelming the actual hop profile will be.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown