Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

HopDevil India Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Ratings: 7,406 |  Reviews: 2,554
3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Twelve ounce bottle with 'Enjoy by Nov 06 05'

Spotted this @ Hollingshead's for only $1.69

Pours orange with a two finger collar of large bubbled light tan foam and excellent clarity. Nose is evenly split between floral pine and sweet grapefruit.

Entry is nice withy carbonation lightly brushing the sides of the tongue with a mouthfeel a little thinner than I'm used to with an IPA. Midtaste hits the sweet spot with a nice pale malt and grapefruity hops.

The finish stings the back of the mouth with a pleasant, clean hop jolt that fades with the same pine / citrus ratio promised by the nose.

Smooth and very drinkable...I'll be picking up a few more of these before they're all gone!

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

On tap at McIntyre's in Toms River.

I'd say the most impressive aspect of this beer was the head. It's thick, full and cream-colored, not what I'm used to seeing on an ale. Smell is of hops, but not the piney stuff I'm used to finding. I couldn't quite place the flavor either; it's hops, but there was something unique about it. Overall, a well-balanced beer, not overwhelmingly hoppy but definitely sturdy. Drinkability was quite good.

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

From a 12oz bottle marked "Enjoy By Sept 19, 2010" enjoyed a few days late on 10/2/10. Into my Sam Adams glass (Thanks, guys!), this one is a slightly hazed orange color with plenty of precipitating carbonation. Thin pale foam cap fades fairly quickly leaving minor lacing. Nose is pretty nondescript even after warming for a bit. There's definitely something hoppy going on there but it's more bready than anything. It's smelling more like an APA than anything at this point. Without checking, I'm guessing this is an English IPA, but then when I taste it... yep, definite biting citrus and piney hops. Now I'm scratching my head. This beast is definitely an IPA but it's not fitting neatly with my experiences with IPA's. A bit more sniffing and tasting and I unravel this beer a bit more. More sweet malt on the palate but there's a definite underpinning of bitter hops. Just a touch of boozy alcohol is there as well. Finishes dry and bitter, one part grapefruit and one part burnt toast. Throughout the mouth remains quite crisp and fresh, very complementary. The little bubbles that are visible in the glass translate nicely to the palate, keeping things crisp and lively. Drinkability is quite good; if not for the 6.7% ABV, I'd be tempted to call this one "sessionable," though only for those who like their brew hops-forward.

Overall: A competent IPA, nicely crisp and enjoyable, rather in the middle of the road of the style. Definitely hoppy but plenty of malt balance there, too. Definitely worth a try.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Label depicts a hop cone, slightly altered to resemble the head of a devil or demon. Enjoy by Mar 03 09.

Appearance: Pours with a little over 1 finger of tan head. This settles to a thin coating of foam with some lacing left behind. The beer itself is a brilliant ruby copper and perfectly clear. No sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Caramel malt aroma with hints of hop spiciness and a melon like fruitiness.

Taste: Caramel malt, slightly sweet, blend swell into hop bitterness. Hops are spicy, with hints of pepper, yeast and wildflower honey. Lingering hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Higher than average carbonation level. Body is decent.

Drinkability: Finally starting to venture more into Victory's beers. This one a decent IPA, but given the name I would have expected more of an DIPA. I understand Hop Wallop is their DIPA, have to check it out.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Darkish amber, big white head. Smells hoppy, obviously... citrus, hoppy, some fruit but not overpowering. Taste is very good, a very strong hop presence but still balanced by some malt and bitterness at the finish. As my handle suggests, I'm not too much of a hophead - I still think the mouthfeel is a little too oily, and the drinkability, for me at least, is pretty much limited to having one or two with dinner. (having said that, it goes great with food, I made some Italian last night and it went wonderfully with the olive oil...) Overall, it's the only IPA I'll really drink, and I'd highly recommend it to other newbies just cutting their teeth on hoppy beers.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

On tap at the Big Hunt in DC.

Nice, reddish ale color, well-laced head. Profoundly hoppy with a capital "H", but malty and sweet fruit component constructed to balance the graininess.

Despite popular opinion, not as overwhelmingly hoppy as it seems. The Stone Ruination IPA is far harsher in my book.

Big huevos. Big taste for the American IPA. Well-done for Victory.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

a- pours a deep amber with about a finger of head that recedes quickly

s- that nice victory hoppy smell, similar to hop wallop. very fresh and citrusy, lemon and pine are most prominent

t- very balanced taste but a little sweeter than its cousin hop wallop (which i prefer). tastes of caramel are balanced out by the bitter piney hops. very solid ipa.

m- again, well balanced, mild carbonation allows for a lot of flavor to come through.

d- glad i invested in a 6 pack. great for a warmer day. highly sessionable. good choice for a go-to brew that you can always have in the fridge. however, if choosing between hop wallop and hopdevil, go with the former.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Hazy, copper in color. White fluffy head that trickles down to a thin ring rather quickly. Piney, grassy, floral, and herbal hop aroma. Good sturdy caramel malt background, mixed with grassy and herbal hops. Good amount of bitterness, but I was expecting a bit more. Seems just a bit thin. Well balanced, as the malt character is very nice. Easy to drink. Pretty good. A little different hop character than most of the big hop bombs.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Bottle, poured into glass. Bought at Henrietta Wegman's.

A: Nothing exceptional, nice amber color. Initially small amount of good foam that fades into a thin ring but lingers on the glass.

S: Huge blast of hops, notes of citrus. Pungent level of hoppiness, but that's it's appeal.

T: Incredibly powerful hop flavor. I've had a lot of pale ales and IPAs but this is likely the biggest hop punch I've tasted. The malt is present in the background but stays in the background - hops are a little bitter and do leave a very strong aftertaste. This is definitely a hop-lover's choice.

M: Good level of carbonation and thickness, not particularly memorable one way or the other (which could be a good thing).

O: I really admire the beer's boldness. Huge, huge hop kick. The beer is surprisingly balanced in spite of it - even as someone who's not a huge fan of IPAs, I definitely appreciate the uncompromising nature of the hops. This beer knows who it's for and aims to please them (and it will).

Get it if you love hops.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Cloudy copper beer with thin off white head that persists throughout the drink.

S: The smell is soft maltyness with nice hop aromas that are slightly fruity, not really citrusy though, and more subtly earthy.

T: The taste is lightly malty with some residual sweetness that balances the mildly aggressive hop bitterness. Spicy hop flavors that have some floral character but not much.

M: The body is heavy light or light medium with medium carbonation. This beer is not dry but minimally sweet which provides a thirst quenching aspect.

D: The thirst quenching aspect of this beer makes it go down very well. With minimal residual sugars and minimal hop bitterness this beer is well balanced.

Notes: I am hop head. I like this beer. When I drink it I like more than one. It's a real good beer.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured an amber orange color, and foamed up quite nicely in a shaker glass. The inch or so of foam lasted a few minutes and some of clung to the glass as a sipped. The brew smelled a little caramel and piney. I liked the balance between the slightly caramel malt and the earthy, piney, and slightly citrus hops. While it's certainly bitter, I find this very drinkable compared to some of the West Coast IPA's that just hit you over the head with a bunch of hops. I look forward to picking up a few bottles of this every time I venture out to the east coast where it is a lot easier to find than in the SF Bay area.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Rerate 9/14/02: Had some great hoppy beers since this and it's sad to say but I have to drop my rating a bit. Not quite as floral as I remembered. More pine aroma and flavor. Nice appeareance, amber with decent head. Nice sweet malt really balances the hops. Just not the great earth-shattering experience I remember after Terrapin Rye PA and Stone's IPAs.

5/6/02: I have to admit that this beer surprised me. I'm usually kind of iffy on IPAs and other hoppy beers, but I really liked this one. The aroma is very floral/perfumy. The taste is definitely hoppy, but not so bitter as to overwhelm the rest of the flavors in the beer. My fiancee described it as like drinking perfume, and it did have a powerful floral quality to it. I really enjoyed this beer, but I'm not sure if I could drink more than one or two in a sitting.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

American standard 12oz bottle from a sixpack picked up at Food Hole. Bottle suggests I drink before Jan '08, but it's not clear when the brew was born. Poured into a nice, big wineglass.

Head is noticable restrained, even after the vigorous pour. Body is quite dark and a good medium amber, neither yellow nor red. What little head there is is also quite dark for this style. Lace is good and sticky.

Aroma is pure hop, on the fruity side (as opposed to piney or floral). Some suggestions of chocolatey malting and good fresh cracked grains. Just a little honey, again with hints of something smokey underneath. Booze is only barely noticable.

Taste is alphas! Nowher near as full in body as the smell suggests, this is crisp and bitter. Hops even tone down a bit before the acids, getting a bit saltier and even peppery. Body is decidedly smooth and blends the darker malts with a good deal of nondescript lighter ones.

Feels really creamy on the tongue, combined with the nearly tingling acids. Not as sticky as you suspect. Not terribly carbonated, unfortunately.

The shining star of this brew is the smell. A good solid presentation of hops and malts, balanced in a war for your attention. The actual taste doesn't quite live up to the fanfare, but it's a great drink nonetheless - not quite as savoury as some other american IPAs.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a dark golden, yellow color with quick, but generous head...a head that sticks to the glass for the duration of the beer. Smells exciting -full of hops, hops, and probably some more hops.

So why not? I took a sip and of course the beer was jumping in my face with hops. I was glad. I like the hops - and this beer delivers.

BUT(and there is always a but), as delicoius as this beer is, they didn't seem to bother to provide a complex series of hops. I have enjoyed some IPAs and other hoppy style beers lately which provide hits of hops to different areas of the tongue and mouth. This beer does not do that. This beer simply beats you square in the mouth and surrounds your whole mouth with hops.

So in short, good in flavor, poor in subtlety.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Received from fellow BA. Poured into a Pint Glass at 45 degrees. The bottle is dated best by Nov 11 07, plenty of time left on this one.

A- Two finger head goes away pretty quick. A hazy amber color with a little foam left on top. Some bubbles are spotted rising to top.

S- Citrus hops and some sweet malts. Smell of these hops are pretty strong as I was able to get a whiff during the pour. Smells yummy.

T- Obviously the taste is full of dry hops. Last night I reviewed a Stone's IPA and I feel like this one is a little less hoppy than that one. Don't get me wrong, this is a nice IPA though.

M- Medium carbonation but little tingling left in my mouth that you usually get from a hoppy IPA. Still nice.

D- This is a nice, close-to sessional as I can get. It's local for me and well-done, but much better on-tap. Another nice one from Victory.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Served on cask at The Brewhouse Grille.

A - Pours clear copper orange with a thin film of white head leaving very little lace down the glass.

S - Smells of plenty of caramel sweetness, some light hop bitterness and some dulled citric fruit. Cask may not be the best serving method for this one, seems to kill some of the usually bright nose.

T - Starts off with a bit of hop bitterness quickly giving way to plenty of sweet caramel malt and a bit of dulled citric fruit. Finish is pretty sweet with a bit of bitterness, not lingering for very long. This one may be a bit old but the cask serving really didn't help much either.

M - Smooth body with a light hoppy feel and moderately low carbonation. It looked dead when it was poured and didn't get much better.

O - I have always enjoyed Hop Devil and while this wasn't the best I have had, this one was no different. Glad I gave it a try but I think I will stick to on-tap for this one.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A bit of hops with a ton of malt.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Victory finally ships to AL, so this is my first brew from Victory

A-Pours a vibrant golden brown color with yellow hues. Pretty clear all the way through and not very full. Head is a finger width and a nice soft, white color with good retention. Foam leaves a bit of lacing on the sides.

S-Grapefruit, pungent floral hops, lemongrass, some herbal spices, citrusy tart fruits

T-Sour lemon plays on the front of the palate as it fades nicely into an herby and floral hop middle with a nice bready finish. Well balanced between the hops, fruits, and grain based flavors. Leaves an astringent aftertaste of citrus fruits and hops with a lingering note of breadiness

MF-Creamy with a full body and a semi-dry finish.

O-Pretty damn good. Nothing too special, but definitely one of my favorite IPA's. Appearance and nose are a bit underwhelming, but I like how nuanced it is and the balance between hops, fruits, and bready malt is satisfying.

HopDevil India Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown