Hop Devil Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,502 | Ratings: 7,201
2.32/5  rDev -42.9%

Pours a translucent amber color as you would expect, with little head. Upon the first sniff I proclaimed to myself 'It smells like Budweiser' and to me, it does, absolutely nothing here for me in the smell department. Upon taste, it kinda tastes like budweiser too, although with the typical hoppy bitterness of ales. The mouthfeel is very bright on the tounge, too much carbonation for my tastes. I suppose this might be a good session beer if you want something like an american lager with hops. But I might recommend looking for something else in the American IPA department.

2.33/5  rDev -42.6%

This bottle was poured into my samual adams perfect pint glass i purchased at the sycamore Hy-Vee for $2.95 that i rinsed and let air dry before serving beverages. Glass temperature was room temp which is about 60 degrees.

Pour has a solid head about 3 fingers tall and leaves lacing. The color is dark for an ipa by todays standards, and i say is a dead on match to "alloy orange", with the hex triplet code #C46210. google it.

Aroma lets you know this is an IPA, kinda. There are a bit more then a balanced load of hops poking out of here but not by much. A notion of Grapefruits amid evergreen saps float barely over some toasted caramel malts.

The flavors are more unimpressive, IPAs have really evolved a long way since this was a top tier offering, and really shows how uni-dimensional the use of cascade hops can be. That said this comes out as a beer that tastes exactly like you would expect in that there is grapefruit/citrus, some pine notes, layered over a caramel backbone. sounds like a blueprint for mediocrity.

The mouthfeel is slightly low in carbonation from center, resulting in a slightly sweeter finish and creamy feel. Needs to be dryer.

2.47/5  rDev -39.2%

Maybe I got a bad batch....date on bottle "enjoy by Dec 10 2015"
No hop profile at all! No nose, no taste, just a very low carbonated sicky-sweet malt aroma and taste. It's actually pretty nasty. Drain pour.

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

I'm a relatively new beer taster, but after trying a few other IPA's from Southern Tier, Sierra Nevada, and even Samuel Adams, I find Hop Devil to be rather (surprisingly) bland. It's a 12oz bottle, fresh (over 2 months till it's past its due date). The color is good, but it poured quite syrupy into the glass. The smell is malty, with just a touch of citrus fruits. The taste is, as I said, bland. Almost no taste, bread like perhaps, with a mild grapefruit and pine aftertaste. It's a bit thick on the tongue. Overall I'm somewhat disappointed. I saw the high ratings and expected more. I'll definitely pass on this in the future.

2.52/5  rDev -37.9%

????? Victory's lack of consistency lately is alarming. It's as if this bottle was skipped when they were adding the hops. This tastes like a standard lager. Super confused. Bummed. Might cry. Keep this shit up Victory and I AM OUT

2.53/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear, light copper color. Big head with zero lacing.

Smells weak, to be honest. Picking up some citrusy grapefruit, a touch of honey. Not much else.

Tastes...completely underwhelming. For a name like "HopDevil," I was expecting a massive hop bite. Not so, here. It's a lot more balanced than what I was expecting, but in this case, it's not a good thing. Weak, citrusy hops flavor meet weak, biscuity malts. Did someone fill half my bottle up with water?

Mouthfeel is thin. The beer finishes dry, which is nice, but it just feels an anorexic version of what everyone else has been reviewing.

Overall drinkibility suffers from the high expectations not being met in regards to the nose and taste, and the thin consistency. I suppose I'd have another if it was offered to me, but I won't be buying another.

Notes: The date on the bottle says to enjoy by 10/09, which I've obviously done, but I can't shake the feeling that something must have "off" with this batch. It's not been contaminated per se. Just extremely watery.

2.6/5  rDev -36%

Pours a medium copper color with a nice short but firm white head.

Nose is Sweet malt and ripe peaches (no hop character in nose) but a very pleasant almost assertive "good Belgian" nose.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, no creamy character but with huge hop bitter flavors with underlying lightly sweet malt. Bitter hops and malt to not juxstapose well; not well balanced and the layers are not integrated. Very bitter pine resin flavors that are inconsistent with the nose that is not the floral dry hop character or the pineapple character of a big hoppy beer but more candi sugar.

Flavors are not consistent with nose at all. There is no bright character, no crisp, clean or desireable character to the flavors of this beer. It's sort of "bitter for bitter's sake."

Finish is the biggest bitter (unpleasant) pine resin character I've had to date, and not a good bitterness but a "chemical" or synthetic bitter character. I can't see this being a beer to drink.

2.63/5  rDev -35.2%

I have pined for the opportunity to try this oft, and generally universally-lauded brew. I was afforded that opportunity at the Map Room, Chicago, Illinois.

This beer presents itself to me much darker than I had expected, an autumn-leaf red with a minimal skim. Just a few freckles of lace are observed clinging to the nonic pint as it disappears.

The nose of this beer again defies my anticipation; it is particularly faint, and not what i'd necessarily call 'hoppy'. The aroma is full of thin, bready malts and just the faintest impression of apple-like hop notes.

While this beer does carry a good amount of bitterness, I am surprised to find a very marginal amount of actual hop flavor. The malt is slightly sourdough-like and gets pummeled around by a thin, reedy and metallic bitterness. This one definetely sits on the 'dry' side of things, never really getting over that painful tea-like bitterness.

The mouthfeel of this beer is also particularly underwhelming. No real oiliness or powdery/pillowiness to speak of, just that incessant clanging bitterness and faint toasted malt. I jiggle the belly in hopes of producing a hop-burp, but nothing comes.

Perhaps my years of drinking West-coast minded IPAs has ruined my palate, but this wasn't even particularly pleasant to wade through. Again, i'd like to try this closer to the source so I can see if my plaguing negative impression of Victory beers has something to do with regional bias/freshness/transit, etc.

So far i'm 0/3 with Victory.

2.67/5  rDev -34.2%

Fries Cafe over in Cincinnati had this on tap the other night, so I thought I would give it a shot. Overall, Victory has only had a couple of beers that I feel are decent, and they tend to fall short for the most part. Review is from notes taken on 7/9/2010 and poured from the tap to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a solid and consistent coppery color; starts with a one finger off-white head that fades to a thin, but full, cap; body has decent clarity and shows light carbonation bubbling throughout.

Smell: Very, very faint. Bit of a musty grainy presence with a dusty hop scent, and that's it. Not impressed.

Taste: Mostly tall, dry and slightly musty graininess; a very faint, near dusty hoppiness (these flavors make me wonder if this just an old keg or something...); bit of a sugary/candy-like sweet maltiness in the end.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation in a light to medium body; a light and semi-dry stickiness lingers around on the palate, but mostly it's a moist finish.

Drinkability: Meh, I could take it or leave it... I would gladly give it another shot though if I was told that the keg was fresh and re-review this if needed.

2.7/5  rDev -33.5%

I'm new to the craft beer world. Wine is my first passion. but since it's summertime, I've been drinking more beer and have been quite impressed with the quality of crafty beers out there (if only I didn't live on the upper east side of NYC, where you don't get much of a beer selection at the supermarkets and delis).

I was not a big fan of this beer - I enjoy IPA's, but this one seemed all hops and nothing else. I can see that this beer is very well reviewed on this site, but for my palate, it just didn't do the trick

2.7/5  rDev -33.5%

Reviewed 2/10/2006 (12oz bottle):

Pours a dark brown color. Medium sized head, slightly off-white, diminishing. Strong aroma of hops, some malts. Bitter-sweet taste of hops, unnaturally bitter. Later taste - semi-sweet taste, clean finish. Not all that hoppy.

2.71/5  rDev -33.3%

It has a nice rusty orange color and a little 1/3 - 1/4 inch head. I'm picking up a lot of malt and spice in the nose but nothing hoppy or any of the citrus you would expect from an IPA. A very malt dominated beer with very little of the hop characteristics I expect from an American IPA. Its medium bodied and has a little sour and acid aftertaste. This is much closer to an old ale style or brown ale than anything else. For something called HopDevil Ale I’m very disappointed.

2.73/5  rDev -32.8%

Not my kind of beer...but I'm not a huge IPA fan. Maybe it was skunked? Still learning.

Consumed with a pilsner glass.

Appearance - A great tannish, to dark brown. A 1 finger head, I don't know about lacing because I just couldn't drink it.

Smell - Decent traditional IPA smell, with some funk our sourness.

Taste - Metallic smell with a hops, hops, hops.

Mouthfeel - Fizzy with a harsh sourness that gave me shivers every time.

Drinkability - Could get past the first few sips let alone a whole beer.

2.74/5  rDev -32.5%

12 oz bottle poured into taster glass. A is a warm sunset Orange, opaque with a fair 2 finger head. S is nicely malty sweetness with caramel and Orange essence. T is too much. Heavily unbalanced and very bitter. Too much for my palette and I live IPA. M is decent. O is that this beer was going big and really comes over too strong and bitter. Could be better as a 8 abv beer with more malt shape.

UPDATE: Had this again on tap at Beer Revolution (OAK), and again it was a disappointment. Too much hype, not a tasty enough for me to ever recommend.

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Got a single from LEGOLAND Publix to celebrate National IPA day. Good for an IPA...mild hoppiness and only a mild headache afterwards - I'll call that a success. Definitely not "devilish". Enjoyed while watching Peaky Blinders on Netflix.

2.78/5  rDev -31.5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A- Beautiful amber color, but unlike other review I hac very very little head that dissipated very quickly.

S- Very hoppy, piney, and a slight hint of citrus.

T- BOOM!!! Hit hard with the hops, and pines, never got the citrus.

M- Very very dry. Heavy carbonation, or maybe thats just the hops.

O- Im a little unsure. Its good for an IPA, but I think its a little too heavy on the hops for my own personal taste. Just my opinion though.

Tasted and Reviewed 1945-2015 10/31/11

2.79/5  rDev -31.3%

The smell is difficult for me....it smelled well....pukey. The Devil come strong with the hop and then leaves the palate dry and with a sour finish. The alcohol content with the hops makes it bitter, but not to bitter for this guy. It would be a tough session beer, but if on a dare I would go for it!

2.79/5  rDev -31.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. The beer poured out a very clear, dark
copper color with an off-white 1/4 inch head. The aroma was
dissapointing.I was expecting a strong hop scent. Instead this beer
has a very light, barely noticeable hop aroma. More floral than citrus.
Also a very, very light malt scent.

The taste was pretty much just hops. It was a bitter taste - which I
usually enjoy. But this one was fairly uninteresting. Like one strong
bitter flavor - not a mix of flavors.

The mouthfeel was light-to-medium with a bitter, dry finish. The
drinkability was good. The first glass was enjoyable. The bitterness
would probably limit me to two in one sitting.

2.8/5  rDev -31%

A: clear amber, no visible carbonation, a brief and nearly non-existent head and no lacing.

S: sweet floral hops, roasted malt, a little funk. It actually smells a little bit like dog food, not sure what that means...

T: a little malt sweetness up front then a kind of generic hop taste, a little stale even. Super strong, dry, bitter finish. Kind of makes me go "ackkk." I have a taste in the back of my throat the tastes like bile.

M: very low carbonation, medium but almost syrupy body. A finish that is dry as a desert.

D: this made me a little sick. It's got a bitter finish that I just can't shake.

2.81/5  rDev -30.8%

Had I reviewed this before joining BA, it would most assuredly end up 4+. Having had it last night, however, I'm relatively disappointed. In fairness, I may be teetering on "snob" instead of "advocate" because few things really wow me anymore.

The beer looks good, as it's a hazy bronze. Head coulda lasted a little longer (almost always, I know). Smell ain't even close to what I consider hoppy anymore. I bought a sixer yesterday at Lowes OIB, and as soon as I smelled my first one, I thought "of fuck, another malt bomb!" :-(

Unfortunately, my taste buds confirm my suspicions. I really used to enjoy this beer--long before I got into locals--so this experience is a real-life experience in disappointing realism and the apathy of nature. Only because I used to enjoy this beer do I not rate it lower.

It's malty--feels like it, tastes like it, etc. It's just a disappointment--where are the yummy, citrusy hops to which I've become accustomed? This malt bomb is no hop devil! To hell with this devil!!

2.82/5  rDev -30.5%

I honestly gave this beer a few chances before I reviewed it. Now I'm convinced. This beer is just not that good overall, and definitely not a good IPA. I have no idea why this beer is rated so high. Amber body with not much of a head. Nice sweet hoppy aroma with some citrus that even my gf liked. Taste is a different story though. Is this a marco pale ale Im drinking? Where the hell is the flavor? It tastes so stale and bland in my opinion. Watered down. Dead hop flavor. I need some hops here. They call this beer HopDevil? I call that false advertising.

2.83/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, dark-amber in color, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: citrus hops and a bit of caramel

Taste: citrus and pine hops with a touch of caramel--once this one warms though all I can taste are IBUs

Mouthfeel: medium-high carbonation, medium bodied, sweet start with a bitter back and finish--once I ate food this became super bitter

Overall: Before food, this was fine..After food--just a big hoppy IBU monster. A must do for hopheads, but one I could not finish. I appreciate the veracity of the hops, but I wanted something just a bit less bitter.

2.87/5  rDev -29.3%

This beer pours a crisp clean looking amber with a yellow orangish head that fades but does remain on top of the beer. Aroma is very weak. Some citrus notes, bitter smelling, no floral or fruit in the nose at all, disappointing. It is a shocking beer to the palate, all hops. Very blunt up front, citrusy, it seems as if the hop bitterness is overwhelming the hop flavor. Spicy hot from the hops, and they manage to cover the malt almost completely. Not well balanced. Could have used some more base malt in my estimation, because kicking it up to eight percent may have balanced this beer more. Worth the try, but I would not purchase this beer again.

2.88/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Maybe I've been spoiled by the IPA's in San Diego. It may also be a West Coast / East Coast thing but this just has too much malt for me. When I see something called "HopDevil" I expected a hop-bomb with no concern for balance. Like I said, it may be a WC/EC thing but it makes me tap my heals and chant: "There's No Place Like Home, There's No Place Like Home".

2.88/5  rDev -29.1%

Bottle bears a faded mark, "Enjoy By Dec 17 08." Pours with a powerful ecru head, very fine bubbles on top, looks marvelous. Lace starts sticking the place up immediately as the head dies A clear dark cherry red color.

Resinous, high-powered hops on the smell. This is projecting a very tarry hop taste. Sweet malt background like digestive cookies (they are great if you don't know what I'm talking about) is perceptible as well. Low on citric characteristics, more of an earthy, syrupy hop scent.

After the warm up act by the smell, the taste continued in the same hop juice vein. Shudder inducing bitterness on the finish. The hops are rough and coarse and very bitter. Centennials? A little smoky and astringent.

Thick, juicy mouthfeel. Medium carbonation with soft bubble texture. Syrupy finish.

Clearly brewed by people who know what they're doing, it looks great and has a nice subtly crafted mouthfeel. Still, too much of a one-note IPA for me. Beats you over the head with the bitterness, would prefer more balance between hop flavor and sheer power. Don't really want another one.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown