HopDevil India Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Ratings: 7,387 |  Reviews: 2,547

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Got a single from LEGOLAND Publix to celebrate National IPA day. Good for an IPA...mild hoppiness and only a mild headache afterwards - I'll call that a success. Definitely not "devilish". Enjoyed while watching Peaky Blinders on Netflix.

2.76/5  rDev -32%

2.76/5  rDev -32%

Disappointed. Will not buy again.

2.78/5  rDev -31.5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A- Beautiful amber color, but unlike other review I hac very very little head that dissipated very quickly.

S- Very hoppy, piney, and a slight hint of citrus.

T- BOOM!!! Hit hard with the hops, and pines, never got the citrus.

M- Very very dry. Heavy carbonation, or maybe thats just the hops.

O- Im a little unsure. Its good for an IPA, but I think its a little too heavy on the hops for my own personal taste. Just my opinion though.

Tasted and Reviewed 1945-2015 10/31/11

2.79/5  rDev -31.3%

The smell is difficult for me....it smelled well....pukey. The Devil come strong with the hop and then leaves the palate dry and with a sour finish. The alcohol content with the hops makes it bitter, but not to bitter for this guy. It would be a tough session beer, but if on a dare I would go for it!

2.79/5  rDev -31.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. The beer poured out a very clear, dark
copper color with an off-white 1/4 inch head. The aroma was
dissapointing.I was expecting a strong hop scent. Instead this beer
has a very light, barely noticeable hop aroma. More floral than citrus.
Also a very, very light malt scent.

The taste was pretty much just hops. It was a bitter taste - which I
usually enjoy. But this one was fairly uninteresting. Like one strong
bitter flavor - not a mix of flavors.

The mouthfeel was light-to-medium with a bitter, dry finish. The
drinkability was good. The first glass was enjoyable. The bitterness
would probably limit me to two in one sitting.

2.8/5  rDev -31%

A: clear amber, no visible carbonation, a brief and nearly non-existent head and no lacing.

S: sweet floral hops, roasted malt, a little funk. It actually smells a little bit like dog food, not sure what that means...

T: a little malt sweetness up front then a kind of generic hop taste, a little stale even. Super strong, dry, bitter finish. Kind of makes me go "ackkk." I have a taste in the back of my throat the tastes like bile.

M: very low carbonation, medium but almost syrupy body. A finish that is dry as a desert.

D: this made me a little sick. It's got a bitter finish that I just can't shake.

2.81/5  rDev -30.8%

Had I reviewed this before joining BA, it would most assuredly end up 4+. Having had it last night, however, I'm relatively disappointed. In fairness, I may be teetering on "snob" instead of "advocate" because few things really wow me anymore.

The beer looks good, as it's a hazy bronze. Head coulda lasted a little longer (almost always, I know). Smell ain't even close to what I consider hoppy anymore. I bought a sixer yesterday at Lowes OIB, and as soon as I smelled my first one, I thought "of fuck, another malt bomb!" :-(

Unfortunately, my taste buds confirm my suspicions. I really used to enjoy this beer--long before I got into locals--so this experience is a real-life experience in disappointing realism and the apathy of nature. Only because I used to enjoy this beer do I not rate it lower.

It's malty--feels like it, tastes like it, etc. It's just a disappointment--where are the yummy, citrusy hops to which I've become accustomed? This malt bomb is no hop devil! To hell with this devil!!

2.82/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

OK not to my liking good abv

2.82/5  rDev -30.5%

I honestly gave this beer a few chances before I reviewed it. Now I'm convinced. This beer is just not that good overall, and definitely not a good IPA. I have no idea why this beer is rated so high. Amber body with not much of a head. Nice sweet hoppy aroma with some citrus that even my gf liked. Taste is a different story though. Is this a marco pale ale Im drinking? Where the hell is the flavor? It tastes so stale and bland in my opinion. Watered down. Dead hop flavor. I need some hops here. They call this beer HopDevil? I call that false advertising.

2.83/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, dark-amber in color, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: citrus hops and a bit of caramel

Taste: citrus and pine hops with a touch of caramel--once this one warms though all I can taste are IBUs

Mouthfeel: medium-high carbonation, medium bodied, sweet start with a bitter back and finish--once I ate food this became super bitter

Overall: Before food, this was fine..After food--just a big hoppy IBU monster. A must do for hopheads, but one I could not finish. I appreciate the veracity of the hops, but I wanted something just a bit less bitter.

2.83/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

L

2.85/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

look - poors amber red, small caramel head that disappers quickly
smell - fruity, malty
Taste - fuity, caramel, slight bitter after taste
Feel - coats mouth
Overall - good ipa

2.87/5  rDev -29.3%

This beer pours a crisp clean looking amber with a yellow orangish head that fades but does remain on top of the beer. Aroma is very weak. Some citrus notes, bitter smelling, no floral or fruit in the nose at all, disappointing. It is a shocking beer to the palate, all hops. Very blunt up front, citrusy, it seems as if the hop bitterness is overwhelming the hop flavor. Spicy hot from the hops, and they manage to cover the malt almost completely. Not well balanced. Could have used some more base malt in my estimation, because kicking it up to eight percent may have balanced this beer more. Worth the try, but I would not purchase this beer again.

2.87/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Taste falls very flat. Can't taste the hops.

look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Maybe I've been spoiled by the IPA's in San Diego. It may also be a West Coast / East Coast thing but this just has too much malt for me. When I see something called "HopDevil" I expected a hop-bomb with no concern for balance. Like I said, it may be a WC/EC thing but it makes me tap my heals and chant: "There's No Place Like Home, There's No Place Like Home".

2.88/5  rDev -29.1%

Bottle bears a faded mark, "Enjoy By Dec 17 08." Pours with a powerful ecru head, very fine bubbles on top, looks marvelous. Lace starts sticking the place up immediately as the head dies A clear dark cherry red color.

Resinous, high-powered hops on the smell. This is projecting a very tarry hop taste. Sweet malt background like digestive cookies (they are great if you don't know what I'm talking about) is perceptible as well. Low on citric characteristics, more of an earthy, syrupy hop scent.

After the warm up act by the smell, the taste continued in the same hop juice vein. Shudder inducing bitterness on the finish. The hops are rough and coarse and very bitter. Centennials? A little smoky and astringent.

Thick, juicy mouthfeel. Medium carbonation with soft bubble texture. Syrupy finish.

Clearly brewed by people who know what they're doing, it looks great and has a nice subtly crafted mouthfeel. Still, too much of a one-note IPA for me. Beats you over the head with the bitterness, would prefer more balance between hop flavor and sheer power. Don't really want another one.

2.88/5  rDev -29.1%

Head was medium lasting and steady.
Color was light redish brown slightly cloudly.
Smell was a sour grainy grapefruit.
Inital taste had a a byte at first but soon faded away had a grainy tatse similar to the smell with a long lasting after taste.
The body was medium to lite with average carbination.

Bought a 6 pack at the cork and cap in fot wayne IN i thought it was kind of expensive. wouldnt try it again.

2.9/5  rDev -28.6%

I know I might get slammed for this review but i cant help it, I was really unimpressed with this beer. Poured a nice amber color and that is where the postives will stop. Maybe drinking the souble IPAs I have for awhile has ruined me but the taste for this beer was really not up to par with some other IPAs. Was a little too flowery for me. ANd the mouthfeel really left an aftertaste in your mouth. Not one of my favorite IPAs but i will be willing to give it a second chance.

2.9/5  rDev -28.6%

reviewed from notes. served in pint glass.
date on the bottle says- drink before October 18th.

Pours a deep copper color with a foamy tan hand-- a sandy color head. The body seems a little orangey now. The retention is very nice-- it forms a rocky landscape of bubbly mountains. The body looks thin, but the lacing is ok.

The flavor is big malts- slightly bready, big sweetness too. Some caramel malts and then a some hops come in. In the nose, all I get is some malts with a citrusy hop bite. The taste is muuuch sweeter than expected. The finish is kind of dry. A piney/resiny aftertaste... Some grapefruit comes through, especially in regards to the bitterness. A yeast note reminds me of the yeast used in English mild ales.

The body is oily but thin. Not thick at all, but lacking carbonation.

Not a beer I will get again. Nothing truly offends me about, but nothing really gets me excited either.

2.9/5  rDev -28.6%

Not too fond of this one from victory but an ok opener for the night. The "hop" is very evident in the taste.

HopDevil India Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown