Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

HopDevil India Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Ratings: 7,405 |  Reviews: 2,554

2.05/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Highly overrated beer. On tap tastes watered-down. Less-than stellar feel and too dark look. More like a lager in color.

2.09/5  rDev -48.5%

A- light mahogany, lbig 1 inch frothy head

S- def a solid caramel backbone, fruit hopsmell in there, but not as much hop smell as an ipa should

T- wheres the hops? decent bitterness, but no hop flavor, watery, matallic taste, HAS THIS BEER GONE BAD?

m- WATERY

D- not enjoyable at all

2.11/5  rDev -48%

I was very hesitant to write this review. American IPA's are my favorite style of brew. This beer is highly recommended so I thought it must be good. After drinking my first I thought I had a bad bottle. It was poor, make that very poor for any style of beer. I did not write a review cause I thought I must have a bad batch. 4 weeks later I buy another sixer. Same crap! This time I did a blind taste test with Broken Halo, Avery IPA, Great Divide IPA, and this mess. I could pick this thing out blindfolded every time, and not for good reasons.
It looks good nice color and head. But that is where good ends and bad to worse starts. It smells like a decent IPA with malts and lots of hops but then a whiff of, (I don't know what) hits me. I really don't know what to call it, plastic? or soap. Whatever the smell is it is even more prevalent in the taste. A very distinctive yuck aftertaste. To its credit the beer is much better as it warms but I will be very gun shy about trying another.

2.16/5  rDev -46.8%

A - Poured a dark amber/copper into a clean pint glass. Appears to be lightly carbonated w/o much head.

S - Smells like a bum farted onto a pine cone... Seriously... The bottle reads "Enjoy by Sept 19 2010"

T - Cheesy hop flavor, combined with a saltwater taffy malt character, and a lingering resinous bitterness.

M - Medium body, flaccid carbonation

D - I've heard good things but please stop shipping your beer to California if it's going to arrive ruined.

2.16/5  rDev -46.8%

Disappointed. Dank. Flat. Not enough hops. I'm sort of a Philly guy. Looked for years w/envy at Victory's rep/price. When I tried it, really bad compared to west coast hoppy IPAs. Maybe fresher it's better, but due to my location, why is a west coast IPA fresher than a Philly IPA?

2.19/5  rDev -46.1%

I had this in cruddy bar, so I hope the negativity is product of poor taps. Looked great, smelled awful. Had two and smell was same. Ruined taste, most likely. Again, review could be skewed due to poor taps

2.2/5  rDev -45.8%

All in all not a great taste. They threw a ton of spices together and prayed... an overpowering taste of hops. Very heavy flavor. I guess a lot of people are into that though. Not me though, not a smooth beer and certainly not good flavor. I would not recommend this overpriced and overrated beer to anyone.

2.23/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

2.23/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

I was super excited for this one, but found myself disappointed. The smell was cloyingly sweet, and the taste was pretty flat for me.

2.24/5  rDev -44.8%

wow, i was very disappointed with this one, there is no balance to this brew just over the top hops, this needs some malt flavor very badly. aroma is very strange and not plesant, i wish i would not have bought an entire six pack of this.

I ususally like highly hopped beers but this one is just too one-dimensional, i guess most others disagree but i can't understand why this is so highly rated.

HopDevil India Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown