Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

HopDevil India Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Ratings: 7,406 |  Reviews: 2,554
3.97/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is our last beer from Victory. I landed this beer in a trade since Victory beers are not distributed out here. We could easily get them in Indiana, but Indiana is a lot closer to Pennsylvania than Arizona. I am a big fan of this brewing company, too. I didn't realize the guy behind it were beer nerds and studied beer in Germany. I hope this beer stacks up.

I have had this before, but not in a long time. I think the last time I had this was in Indianapolis at a beer festival. Oh, and I love the label. The little hop devil… cute!

In the Glass: The beer, for being an American IPA, has a nice creamy head. The lace is really nice, too. I would use the word, "sticky" to explain the lace. The beer is also quite cloudy. Makes me think of an unfiltered wheat beer. Maybe that is the German training these brewers had. Let's see what she smells like.

Nose: There is a ton of orange zest on this one. The tasting notes mentioned a lot of pine, but I am not getting much, if any, pine here. That's good, because it's hot outside. I like nice citrus forward beers during the hot summer months. Save pine for the wintertime. Well, the 65 degrees we get here in the desert! There might be a hint of pine there, but the sweetness of the malts really tames it down. Let's see what she tastes like.

Flavor: There is more pine on the palate. A lot more pine. The beer also has a weird mouthfeel, but we will get to that. The flavor profile doesn't really match the aroma whatsoever. That's not a bad thing, as that allows you to experience a wide range of hop character in a single bottle. I haven' had their lineup in a while, but I wonder if all their beers have a similar hop profile. Think Stone Brewing Company.

Mouthfeel: Flat. If I didn't know any better, I would say this beer was flat. It's not, but it has a very flat mouthfeel. I don't know what other words to use to describe it… it's not thin, but that is the word that comes to mind.

I will mention this beer is NOT right out of the fridge. I took this beer out and let it warm up a little. Some of the mouthfeel changes might be coming from that. I wonder if Sheryl noticed.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste also has a lot of pine in it. It is somewhat drying, and leaves me wanting another drink. The ABV on this bottle would allow me to drink 3 or 4 without even really taking note. Speaking of their other beers, their Storm King and Golden Monkey are two of their best beers. They also produce a weizen bock that I have never had. I am not sure I have even seen the bottle.

This is a good beer. For a basic IPA, I would totally put this in my rotation. It has just enough hop character to appease the hop head in me. Sheryl isn't a big fan of hops, but yesterday ordered the new Enjoy By from Stone. We were at Aces and Ales in Las Vegas celebrating my birthday, and they had the new one on tap. It was good; lots of fruity flavors.

If you like a good American IPA, give this one a shot. Cheers!

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

Light copper color, some haziness. Fine, off-white head that is retained for quite a while. Strong, sweet, citrusy hop aroma. Flavor also dominated by hops with a slightly sweet aftertaste. Medium body balances hop flavor nicely. Carbonation level is just right with the bubbles making a nice tingle on the tongue that is good with the spicy hoppiness. A good beer if you're in the mood for lots of hops.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

Out of a bottle this beer was an orange-amber color with good clarity. The head was beige, rather small and didn't display very good retention and only spotty lacing. The aroma was excellent for the style, lots of herbal and citrus hops with a pale malt backbone. The flavors were at first notably bitter, with lots of orange rind and grapefruit notes, but behind that lurked the flavors of other hops clearly reflecting the multiple additions used. As it warmed I tasted more of the doughy malt along with some crystal malt and the herbal elements of hops that came through. Acidic and a little biting; great for hop heads. The body was medium, the carbonation very good and the mouthfeel soft and just a little oily. Distinctly bitter but sessionable and a good All-American example.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

A very good IPA. Nice copper coloured body, and an intense citrus hop aroma and flavor with minor notes of black pepper and pine. Loads of smooth bitterness too. With all of that good stuff being said, it lacks a bit of subtlety and could use a bit more malty flavor to balance out the hops. Still, this is a superb beer.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

A - Deep copper color, very clear, low carbonation, small head that faded quickly leaving a nice coating on top.

S - Some sweet caramel and toasted malts. Subtle earthy hop aroma.

T - Lots of darker malts, caramel and toasted, almost approaching an amber. Nice hop flavor, earthy with some citrus. A nice bitterness to balance the malt flavor.

M - Has a bit more body than your average American IPA, but it is nice and not over the top or too heavy.

D - This is not an IPA that should really be an IIPA, there are hops but they are not over the top and there is a lot of malt to balance it all out. Balance is good and makes for a very drinkable beer.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

A- Pours a clear golden red color, light cream colored head is large but dissipates rather quickly. A very thin layer of sticks around and leaves lacing all the way down the glass.

S- Mostly of malt, not heavily roasted malt but rather the fresh baked bread malt smell. I catch a slight whiff of some sort of spices maybe pepper. And definitely plenty of hops.

T- Taste is excellent, great balance of strong malts to hops. Some of the spices shine marvelously. The only thing I would ask for is a more defined hop character, something with a citrus or pine taste would seem a good fit. The hop character breaks away from the malty sweetness in the aftertaste.

D- The beer is incredibly drinkable, perfect light carbonation blends with the great taste to make a super smooth beer. Hopdevil goes down easy.

3.98/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.98/5  rDev -2%

I poured this 12 oz. bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A: cloudy orange-gold, the thick beige head slowly folds into a thick cap, the lacing is outstanding.

S: grapefruit, orange, floral hops.

T: simple, clean flavors, the citrus bursts up front, the piney/floral hops release in the middle and the finish is hoppy and very piney/grassy.

M: light bodied, moderate carbonation, off-dry.

D: As a good-old-fashioned American IPA, this is a standout. Simple, clean, bold, but not overdone. Well done.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Pours out a cloudy amber orange with white suds that leave good lacing on the pint glass.
This one smells sweet. Sugary malt and slight hops. Very slight citrus aromas. Needs to be stronger in the nose.
I was trying to compare this and the weyerbacher Simcoe but that won't work. It is a beer by itself. Initially sweet then bitter then sweet then bitter again. Not a lot of citrus flavor but there is a blackness that must be roasted malt and very black tasting hops.
I like this take on the IPA. Very different from most IPA's I have had.
If I could get ahold of lots of these I would love to session a case or two! Victory for your taste indeed!

From notes - 6/8/10.

Poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a full two finger head giving way to spotted lacing. Color is a clear dark copper or burnt orange.

S: Spicy citrus hops. A decent malt backbone is also present in the nose. Not quite as juicy or overpowering as other IPAs, but pleasant nonetheless.

T: Piney and citrus hop flavors. Nice bitterness that is ultimately balanced with some sweet malt. Good IPA, just nothing outstanding here.

M: Resinous hops. Moderate carbonation and medium body.

D: Very easy to drink and smooth going down. Victory has yet to let me down. Intrigued to try the Wild Devil I picked up this past weekend to compare.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

This beer poured a dark copper color, very clear and was topped by a fluffy off-white head. A nice lace is left on the side of the glass as the head slowly recedes. The nose has grapefruit, a little spicy pepper, some pine, and light caramel on the finish. I’m not sure of the hop bill, but I think I catch some Centennial in the aroma. The taste is more balanced that I expected. I get a dark caramel first followed by grapefruit rind. The spiciness is still there too. Just the slightest heat in the finish. Slick, dry mouth feel, nice drinakbiklity.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

On tap and poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy dark orange in color with copper hues near the edges of the glass. Craggy off white head pours one finger thick. Decent retention. Soft sticky lacing.

S: Citrus juice. Pine resin. Sweet malts. Yeast. Earth.

T: Citrus juice flavor is immediately pushed out of the way by a citrus and pine hop spicey bitter bite. Rich and sweet caramel malts push through to balance things out and are followed by a soft touch of honey and fresh baked bread. Finishes with more spicey hops and sweet malts.

M: Silky smooth. Moderate carbonation. Slightly dry.

D: I have tried this beer straight from the bottle, off the tap and out of a cask and I enjoyed this spicey little hop bomb every single time. Recomended.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Served on tap in 16 fl.oz. pint (tulip) glass at Goose Island - Clybourn, (November 24, 2009).

Eyes: Amber gold, a nice head with good lacing.

Nose: A suggestion of malt, but dominated by the grapefruit, oily hop aroma. Quite interesting.

Tongue: The citrus/floral hops appear strong and bitter, quite complex and interesting. No malts to speak of. I must admit that I like the profile here, but I'm a shade underwhelmed. Good, but the brew does not do enough with the bitter hops, I'm left expecting more.

Mouth: Smooth carbonation, crisp bitterness, but it doesn't linger very long.

Libation: Pretty good IPA. With something called "HopDevil" you'd expect a real hop bomb, but it's quite reasonable. It's interesting, easy drinking, a solid IPA.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Pours a bright clear reddish amber color with a slight head.

Aromas are a touch hoppy, bitter, and floral, but I mostly notice a sweet maltiness on the nose. Smells are decent, but not what I expected from an IPA.

Flavor is crisp, sweet, creamy and malty. But where are the hops? (Isn't this called "HopDevil"?) They seem to be lacking here, only notice them just slightly on the finish. It is a good tasting beer, but reminds me much more of a pale ale, not an IPA.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, the malty creaminess sticks to your mouth.

This is a very drinkable beer, very session worthy. But this to me doesn't seem to have a lot of American IPA qualities. (maybe British IPA qualities...) Still worth a try, just not at all what I expected.

Thanks for the bottle Mikesgroove!

65th review on BA
bottle to pint

App- Dark caramel brown a bit of orange highlights as well as a thin 1/4" in eggshell head. Dissapaited quickly.

Smell- Not overly complex a mild hoppy citrus.

Taste- The taste for me was very hoppy with a small citrus and spice note. Wasn't as big a taste as I thought it would be.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a nice balance on the palate.

Drink- Pretty good. I like the spice notes. It was a nice smooth drinking IPA.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Poured into a Unibroue Tulip Glass, has a very nice reddish color with a good amount of carbonation, but not too much.

Aroma comes out more as it warms up, strong hoppy scent, but not overwhelming.

Smooth balance of malt and hops, but hops definitely dominant. Strong hoppy aftertaste -- if you like that sorta thing. The hops mellowed out a bit as it warmed up.

Slightly fizzy feel, but not in a negative way. I can usually drink about two of these in a row before I have to move to an ale or witbier to cleanse the palate, just because the hops are so prevalent. This beer just exudes hops.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Poured a nice, rich gold with a one finger head. Aroma was a bit weaker than I expected; definite hops, but not overwhelming. Substantial hop bittness, but if you are accustomed to double IPAs, it may seem a bit subdued. Mouthfeel is nice and rounded, and has a pleasant malty backbone. Very drinkable due to its balance.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

great label, with exp date of 9/30/09 on the front.
pours a pretty true dark orange with a lightly tanned head that pours pours bubbly until it settles to a foamy 3/4 of an inch that stays for a while. and the lacing looks great.
smells of orange and citrus fruits, pretty floral hoppiness as well, of course.
this is a good tasting ipa, i'm still new to them, but i am enjoying it nonetheless. i taste the citrus and hops. thats the basic gist of it.
its pretty smooth, light bodied, can definitely have a few of these.

I purchased this along with a hop wallop and a storm king, and i look forward to tasting those and more of what victory has to offer.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

This was the first IPA I ever had. Had it on tap tonight for the first time at Apollo Grill, Easthampton MA. Dark orange with a nice off-white creamy head, leaves great lacing. Smell is a little faint for me, mostly just getting citrus hops. Taste is super hoppy, citrus, pine, caramel, biscuit. Definitely a 'spicy' IPA. The mouthfeel is great and creamy on-tap. (I've had it on-tap a couple times since and it's been pretty thin with low carbonation, eh.) Hops would kill this over time but this IPA still holds up great in my book. 9 or 10 bucks for the 6-pack is a good price too.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

12 oz bottle. Enjoy by April 30th printed on front; off center.

Clear amber color, cm of frothy head with decent lacing. Hop smell isn't too overbearing, 'tho it's pineapple and grapefruit kind of clashes with the warm malt and goes metallic. The taste is another story: the malt compliments the overdose of hops beautifully, bouncing back and forth between the bitter hop and the sweet malt. A little alcohol sneaking through is the only chink in the armor.

Not my favorite IPA, but right up there with the rest of 'em. Top notch brew.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

this beer poured a golden amber into my oversized wine glass. even a pretty hard pour didn't get me much head. a few rocky bubbles and some hazy head covers the beer though.

the smell is bittersweet and citrusy. a bit floral and spiciness as well.

this beer tastes pretty hoppy. lots of citrusy hops. grapefruit, lemon rind, dare i say a bit oakish. complex taste. i can taste a bit of alcohol as well.

the mouthfeel is a bit carbonated, smooth, velvety & fluffy. great for this style.

i could drink a few of these. a good example of a nice clean tasting american ipa.

HopDevil India Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown