HopDevil India Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Ratings: 7,374 |  Reviews: 2,544
3.98/5  rDev -2%

3.99/5  rDev -1.7%

A solid IPA from Victory. Clear, amber in color, pretty highly carbonated. Nice to have an IPA with a foam cap that actually sticks around for a while. Nice bit of malt character on the nose to go with the piney qualities that a west coast type of ale (despite this being from PA) will have. Mouthfeel is smooth, almost wondering if there is some wheat in the mash. Hoppy without being overbearing. Some citrus that is expressed more in the flavor than the aroma. A tasty brew!

3.99/5  rDev -1.7%

Dark hazy orange amber colered beer with a frothy bone colored head of about on finger.

Smells of pine and some sweet citrus. Just a touch of dankness. Some breadiness here as well.

Taste follows the nose with that sweet citrus and pine type of bitter. The bitterness on the taste is far from overwhelming. The bitter seems to come towards the back of the taste.

Mouth feel to me was a surprisingly lighter feel than some IPA varities. There is a bit of an oily finish and some resin coating the lips.

Overall I like this IPA and glad I gave it a shot. When I poured the last of my can into my glass I got a shit ton of sediment. I already have some favorite IPA's and do not feel as if I would bump one from my list for this IPA. That said it is a well done IPA and may be the one that gets your motor started. I reccomend this for any fan of the style.

3.99/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into perfect pint glass.

A: Orange amber color with small off white head. Very small bubbles in the head, but it doesn't stay around long. Some carbonation coming off the glass but not very much at all.

S: Very big pine character in the nose. But also get the malty notes of toffee and caramel. Not sure if this bottle is really fresh or not.

T/M: Very good east coast ipa taste. Really get pine and some astringent flavors in the mouth. However I also get a lot of malt and caramel notes. Good mouth feel makes this rather enjoyable.

D: Good IPA, not sure if it was the freshest bottle, but still good. I think I would get this again but I definitely wont be running around looking for it. I might get some more if I find it fresher to double check.

3.99/5  rDev -1.7%

This poured a cloudy, pumpkin color into a pint glass with a 1/4 inch head which dissipated quickly, leaving some nice lacing.

Fruity, hoppy aroma, not as sharp as SNCA.

Very nice, bitter taste with some hints of malt. Not overpowering or cloying as I found SNCA to be.

Great bitter finish that cleansed the palate and then left the mouth feeling clean and refreshed.

I liked this much more than SNCA.

Will definitely try this again.

3.99/5  rDev -1.7%

For the price point and availability this is a more than solid IPA. Brings a nice balance of bitterness and malt forward flavor.

L = Light brown/brown.
S = Not a lot goingon here for me here, but maybe it's too cold. I get a little pine and resin, but not much.
T = Lighter than I thought it should be for an IPA. Not as much piney-ness as I would have expected.
F = Again, lighter here than I thought, but is still refreshing.
O = I actually really like this one because it's not as much like an IPA as the other I have tried. This one was considerably more mellow than others, which I liked, but it didn't seem as much an American IPA as it should be.

A nice, solid beer. Amber in color with a medium head that retained well. Little bit of lacing. Pleasant citrus aroma, a little bit of malt. The taste followed the aroma quite well. Citrus hops and a little malt. Not too aggressive in the mouth. This was a very enjoyable beer.

The Hop Devil pours a copper-orange with a pillowy off-white head that has good retention and exhibits some lacing.

Its aroma is strong hops with a nice citrus balance, along with some malty cookie underneath.

The taste is fruit and bready malt initially followed by a big piney hop bang. The hops are nice and strong with a lingering bitter taste, but the beer remains very nicely balanced. More malts come out as the beer warms. It has a nice smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

Overall, this is an excellent IPA.

Simply a world-class beer and a world-class IPA. Pours perfect dark amber and has a nice off-white head. Plenty of delicious hops and perfect taste of a IPA. Some IPAs do not have enough good malt backbone, but HopDevil has it.

One of my desert island beers.

HopDevil India Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown