Hop Devil Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Pennsylvania, United States

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,500 | Ratings: 7,198

This is absolutley one of my unabashed favorites. As a unredemptive hophead, it doesn't get much better (bitter?) than this. A fantastic expression of the brewer's art; an apoplectic melding of malt sweetnes with lupulus bitternes and aroma. The cask conditioned presentation steps this one up into the valhalla of brewing. If you've only had the draught version of this wonderful brew, the cask is just that more so. The lower conditioning level lets the melange of flavors burst forth on the palate, unencumbered by the bubbliness of carbonation.

As you can probably tell, I am a huge fan. This merits the 5 x 5 as indicated above. I really don't think that there is much room for improvement on this one.

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured in an Imperial pint. Very attractive, dark (for an IPA), redish hue, decent off-white head that faded partway through.
The nose lacked a great deal of character, a little floral, but not too much.
The taste was quite nice, initial sweetness that faded into a mild bitter finish.
Overall drinkability was fairly high, the beer needed to warm just a tad before it really got going.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Poured a very hazy dark bronze with a creamy offwhite head.

S: Citrus and floral hops with a touch of sweetness.

T: Hoppy but not overpowering, with just enough sweetness to balance things out.

M: Rich, with just the bitter kick you would expect from an IPA. Suprisingly smooth.

D: Going down quick, and the bitterness is not overwhelming.

4.77/5  rDev +17.5%

A- An amber color with a nice white head. Lacing all the way down the glass.

S- I can smell grassy floral hops all the way with a hint of crystal malts.

T- Sweet buscuity malts quickly give way for the hops to power on through. Grassy hops go hand and hand with the bitter twang of this IPA. Tons of bitter that provide a clean crisp dry finish.

M- Medium amount of carbonation and body. Really smooth and satisfying.

D- This is a beer I could drink all night long being alittle bit of a hophead.

Notes: This is by far one of, if not my overall favorite IPA out there.

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

I had heard alot about this beer but hadn't tried it until today. I had always shied away because of the $10 price tag on a six-pack.

So when my boss took us out to lunch today, I jumped at the chance to try it on his dime. I'm glad I did! Smooth, tasty and definitely lives up to its name when it comes to hops!

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

12 Oz. bottle, Pint glass.

A: Copper golden amber. Enticing finger and a half lacing that dies slowly.

S: Hoppy and malty. Great balance. Hints of ginger.

T: Very very tasty. The sweet malts up front lead to a crunchy hop bite. Finishes strong too, slightly sweet. Bitter fruit malty hop goodness.

M: Smooth and well carbonated. Medium-thick mouthfeel.

D: Pretty high. It's strong, not entirely sessionable but hop heads could pull it off.

Man this is a really good beer. One of my favs. These hop oils linger, and they're well balanced in the mouth. This Victory company really knows what they're doing...

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

This is a GREAT IPA. Well balanced but enough bitterness to be true to style. Pine and Spice on the nose with a little bit of caramely maltiness so you know its going to be balanced.

Taste is extremely balanced and even oddly has some toasted caramel notes to it that were really nice.

It got better as it warmed too which to me is a sign of a great beer.

I went back for a six pack of this

3.79/5  rDev -6.7%

The beer pours a lovely caramel color with a full hop aroma and is an excellent example of an American IPA. Good clean malts in the background. The alcohol is not noticeable. The American hops are delicious. Cascade or Cluster hops? The head was not impressive. Overall, a pleasant brew and a joy for hop lovers.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Thanks Cheers2beers for this one.

Starts of with a billowing tan head that dissipates a little quickly and gives up a dark straw colored beer underneath.

The nose of this beer I find lacking a bit for an IPA. Not much hops present in the smell but I did catch a hint of a dark plum and some bready overtones.

First sip brought me right back to the fact that this is definitely an IPA. Starts of with a crisp malt backbone, dry, bready and well balanced. This is definitely more of a "dry" ipa with little sweetness in the malt.

There are mostly bittering hops in this one, but perfectly balanced with the malt it makes for a nice platform to show off the hoppy finish which stays with you for a while. Peppery, spicy hops, no real citrus to speak of.

Overall a VERY balanced IPA with a perfect amount of carbonation and a great hop finish.

You could definitely session some of these as the alcohol was imperceptible.

I'd crack another anytime.

3.25/5  rDev -20%

A - typical for American IPA's deep red, shorter head on this one

S - Hops and some more hops....reminds me of that smell in the morning when camping in the fall, here, in the northeast

T - hoppy, hoppy and not so many other flavors

M - hits your whole tongue with hops and I think finishes more bitter than most AIPA's

D - nice and simple, great IPA

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

A - about 1/2 finger head with a usual pour. The head disaptes quickly - some lacing. Much lighter than others of its style - dark gold and very clear.

S - Not aromatic. Maltiness dominates, but no powerful sweetness. Pleasant.

T - A great balance. The bitterness is most evident in aftertaste. In the mouth, there is a good deal of light malt flavor.

M - Thick for its style, but actually more true to form than most of its competitors. There is not the high carbonation that is often present in AIPA which, I think, is misguided - excellent in this regard.

D - Very good. A little thick, a little too malty to make it an over the top AIPA, but truer to its British inspirations. I like this a whole bunch!

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

12 oz bottle into shaped Dogfish Head pint glass (my new go-to glass for IPAs, since I got it for free at a bar on a trip to Pittsburgh).

HopDevil is the beer that made me love beer. While many craft beer drinkers graduate from macros to quality brews, I couldn't stand beer until I accepted a HopDevil just to be polite... then rudely demanded several more!

A--Decent head, though one must pour just right to get the full effect. When poured so that it billows above the rim of the glass, it laces admirably down the glass. Color is right on target for the style.

S--Hops in the nose, obviously, but there's a nice complexity here, with fruity esters and a nice malt presence. It all blends into a singular aroma that really distinguishes the beer.

T--Classic East Coast IPA--a deep, clean bitterness, with pine-y and floral hops flavors that mesh nicely with fruity esters and malts that announce their presence without becoming assertive, suggesting caramel and even chocolate.

M--Good carbonation, etc. Mouthfeel isn't a huge category for me, unless I find it unbelievably amazing or just awful. HopDevil's mouthfeel is right for the style, so everything is good.

D--The 6.7% ABV may take this one out of session range, but apparently no one told my tongue, 'cause I can drink HopDevil all night. Even if you've had too many to appreciate its nuances, it remains agreeable, with a bitterness that lingers pleasantly (a contrast to some of the tongue rapings I've gotten from some other hoppy American brews).

I really love this beer. I will say that it's nothing special when it's past its prime, but fresh--as this particular batch is--it's great. Try it!

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a light copper red out of a 12oz bottle, thick light cream head that dissipated quickly. Papery lace and even carbonation.

Spicy hops dominate the nose, but there's definitely sweeter malt hiding in there. Nothing too powerful, but well suited for the style.

True to the aroma, hops are very intense throughout. Spicy, citrus, and drying. Maltiness is totally blown away by the hops, but its there without a doubt, especially as my taste buds adjust to the hop acids.

Mouthfeel is nice - fullbodied and sticky at the same time. Pretty high carbonation, but feels right for an IPA.

Drinkability is very high, despite the bitterness. Goes down very smoothly.

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Let's just cut to the chase. Sometimes you know from the first sip when you have heaven in a glass.

An ideal pour that has a nice head and laces all the way to the end. The appearance is nice and thick with a light coppery color.

I like 'em hoppy, but some IPAs go too far and pick up a aspiriny flavor. This comes right to the edge, letting the full flavor of the hops come through.

The mouthfeel is, without the hyperbole, the best I have ever experienced. Full and thick feel, with a somewhat oily finish that goes down the hatch perfectly.

This is a beer that could get me in a lot of trouble if I let it. Just one more reason why I think Victory has the best lineup from top to bottom.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a= Pours a dark amber color with a small white head that diminishes quickly.

s= the aroma has a lot of hops and some grassy notes as well.

t= Flavor is very hoppy, there is very little sweetness to balance out the hop bitterness.

m= very well rounded: Hops, Malts & sweetness.

d= not my favorite, but i wouldn't throw it out of bed for eating crackers.

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance is a nice burnt orange with a decent light tan head. A little cloudy.

Smell is malty sweet. A little citrus and hops. Kinda weak.

Taste is similar to smell. A bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is good. Viscosity is appropriate. Carbonation is aggressive but bubbles are small.

This is a pretty easy drinker except for the bitter finish.

I must say that this is not the kind of IPA I am used to. A bit maltier. Not as citrusy/piney as I would like. The hops don't seem to show up except for bitterness. At the same time, this is a pretty easy drinker. Solid, easy, but not great.

2.73/5  rDev -32.8%

Not my kind of beer...but I'm not a huge IPA fan. Maybe it was skunked? Still learning.

Consumed with a pilsner glass.

Appearance - A great tannish, to dark brown. A 1 finger head, I don't know about lacing because I just couldn't drink it.

Smell - Decent traditional IPA smell, with some funk our sourness.

Taste - Metallic smell with a hops, hops, hops.

Mouthfeel - Fizzy with a harsh sourness that gave me shivers every time.

Drinkability - Could get past the first few sips let alone a whole beer.

4.34/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is a great example of the style from Victory, which is also why it's a medal winner I would assume.

Appearance- Light reddish or amber in color. The head is big and fluffy at first but dies down within a few minutes. Lacing isn't really anything special, but not bad.

Smell- Hops!! Nice pine and grapefuit notes to be detected.

Taste- Wonderful hop taste. Almost over-powering but the crisp clean finish suprised me. Made me want another sip almost instantly. Couldn't detect much malt at all, they don't call it Hop Devil for nothing.

mouthfeel- The hops can sometimes leave a prickly feeling on the palate, but once I got used to that I loved the experience. It has a nice medium body, not too heavy. Almost sessionable if it weren't for the higher ABV.

3.09/5  rDev -23.9%

A- light lacing that sits on top like lily pads? Nice amber/golden color, slightly cloudy with no carbonation

S - sweet malt smell with a little hop smell

T - hops with a well balanced malt flavor, thinking they used a roasted sweet malt, was thinking there would be more of a citrusy hop, buy more of a bitter hop

M - little bit chewier than what I like, but not rough

D - probably will only have one of these, bit to chewy for me

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: orangish, light amber color..one finger head..not so agressive of a pour..left very nice lacing on the glass

smell..orange peel, fresh cut grass, and some kind of sweetness...i don't know let's call it caramel, maybe honey

taste: pine, light grapefruit, caramel,..has a sweet malt profile but a thicker type of malt sweetness..not like the dogfish head 60 that has a sugar water sweetness which i don't like. More like a maple syrup. It's a a pleasant sweetness that adds not detracts from the experience. Nice bitter after taste which lingers..Kinda reminds of a dale's pale ale just a little better put together.

mouth: light to medium carb, syrupy but in a good way

overall: solid beer, very enjoyable stuff..up there in the top 10 percent of Ipa's that I've tried..good price, it's about 2 bucks a 6er cheaper than most high quality IPA's. As far as readily available beers go, really nice. Would recommend and buy again.

4.63/5  rDev +14%

I have had a lot of IPAs ... This one never fails to deliver everthing an IPA should.
I'll skip all the over analysis and get right to it: one of my all time favorite IPAs. I like Serierras "Torpedo" but it can be a bit too much at times. The Hop Devil on the other hand... Awesome, always.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Victory Brewing Company does not come out to my neck of the woods (Arizona) so during my recent trip to New York; I kept an eye out for it having heard great reviews from friends. I stopped by Barcade in Brooklyn where they had it casked. A deep ruby, colored somewhere in between a Brown ale and a Red. The aroma was very hop-rich, with subtle hints of sweetness. By smell alone you could definitely tell that it had been casked. Upon the first sip the hop pronunciation and earthy cask flavor were very bold, yet well balanced on the tongue. A loosely carbonated and moderately malty mouthfeel kept the hop flavors rolling across the tongue until the slight fruity and sweet finish. All in all a very impressive beer.

3.51/5  rDev -13.5%

A - Dark amber color, almost redish. My pour had a half finger head that stayed throughout the glass.

S - I am getting a strong grapefruit, faint caramel and faint roasty smell.

T - Big hop flavor. Not over powering and quite smooth. Nice and dry finish.

M - Medium body, creamy feel. Slight alcohol sting after swallowing.

D - Midway through this beer I got the warm feeling. I could drink a few of these but then I would be intoxicated.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

This is for the version of HopDevil that was on cask at Victory.

Appearance: Good head retention, perfect carbonation, beautiful amber color

Smell: Tangy and floral, hoppy to the nose

Taste: subdued hoppiness filled with wood notes and a floral blossoming.

Mouthfeel: Lingering notes of hops and slight maltiness, a good aftertaste that progresses well.

Drinkability: I downed this beer faster than I do with other beers. Perfect temperature, a fantastic beer, and a taste that does not get old.

3.94/5  rDev -3%

Visual: One finger loosely packed head that dissipates quickly. Beautiful clear amber color that absolutely glows when you hold it up to the light.

Aroma: Grapefruit, apricot, and I also get a little hint of the smell that most Belgian beers have (not sure what it is called). I’m picking up a hint of bready malt in there as well. Not bad, but not knocking me over with hop aroma either.

Taste: More malt on the front end than what I expected. And really, I don’t pick up very much hops until the finish which comes in with a thin yet harsh wave of bitter. I feel like there is something there that plays to the middle sides of the tongue, however every time I roll it over the sides, it immediately starts to fizz up which distracts from the taste. By the way I pick up a Black Tea aftertaste on the exhale.

Mouth Feel: If I keep this beer running straight down the center of my palette then it feels good, reasonably wet and the taste is just … plain. If I roll it around it fizzes up something terrible and goes really dry; yes more tastes come out but they are overshadowed by the fizziness.

Drink-ability: I could try to extract out and find as much flavor as possible and end up completely disappointed because I can’t get the beer to hit on all cylinders. Either it goes fizzy and dry but tries to present its flavor, or it goes down quick and smooth with only average flavor… certainly nothing impressive enough to live up to its name and label.

Impressions: I’m just not impressed. I think this beer is unbalanced to a point where it can’t live up to its potential. As far as I’m concerned, I have to believe this is a work in progress, and that the brewers are still perfecting the formula. The hops are definitely in there, but they constantly have to fight to be noticed. Yes I would buy it again. Yes I would enjoy it. But I still think something is keeping this beer from living up to its true potential. Maybe it was nearing its end of life... it only has two more days left on its Best By date.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown