Hop Devil Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Pennsylvania, United States

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,500 | Ratings: 7,198

A- amber colored with inch thick and bubbly off white head, head quickly settles leaving moderate lacing.

S- i get a nice semi-sweet balance of citrus and hops and bready malts, lingering earthy tones.

T- follows the nose, very well balanced taste initially it's slightly sweet and sour from the combination of the citrus and piney hops, very malty for the style but it helps give it a nice finish.

M- medium to full bodied, thicker than i expected probably due to those bready malts, light carbonation, pleasant aftertaste.

O- very nice IPA, better than what i expected, the citrus and piney hops balance out nice with the bready malts, and those earthy tones make it different, better than most entry level IPAs.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer had a great hoppy flavour, but not too hoppy. It had a great golden brown color, like an ale. It had good mouth feel and a good smell. It had a pleasent aftertaste. If you like a hoppy beer, this could be your beer. Enjoyed this beer on tap in Rochester

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

At first I wanted to say this beer was amber, but it's much a much deeper, darker red. It had a beautiful head with very tiny bubbles, making it look almost like cream. It laced all the way down the slides while drinking and was still there for my last sip. When I was done, the bottom of the glass looked like a doily. Pretty. But then again, by the time I got to the bottom of the glass, everything was looking pretty.

I immediately smelled burnt caramel, like charred smores. My favorite kind. I also noted some hints of citrus, namely lemon, which must have been the hops kicking in. At first taste, it was fresh and crisp. Then I was almost chewing on the malt, even though there was no sediment whatsoever. Finally, just the right amount of tongue-scooting bitterness finished the palate. There were, however, a few sour notes every few sips. This IPA was delicious, drinkable to the last drop and will be hard to beat.

1.99/5  rDev -51%

I had this beer many moons ago and enjoyed it much. I recently bought it again due to slim selection. This beer is not what it used to be. I am seeing more and more that companies that have had a good history of serving up great beers are falling short more and more. I guess nothing is sacred anymore, even good beer in the current world of greed and corner cutting. Thanks alot Victory. Count me out.

Great beer, good looking and pours while.

Certainly lives up to it's name. Tons of Hop taste. It has some bite, but you forget that by the time you take another sip.

Head lace lines after every sip.

Great and I think I do taste some pine in there like other tasters have noticed. It's not bad, just noticable.

Worth a try.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Looks very good. A beautiful amber color with a tall head.

Smells like an IPA. Hops with some murky citrus/grapefruit notes. Slightly sweet.

Tastes like it smells. Hops with some murky citrus/grapefruit notes. Some herbal "spiciness".

Feels slightly foamy/fluffy. Medium bodied but on the lighter side.

A good and easy going IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance: poured into my yuengling beer glass, and it is a nice caramel color. Had a head, but I let it warm up a little (so I could taste even more hops), and the head is gone now.

Smell: pleasing. Slight smell of hops, which does not act as false advertising.

Taste: a delightful, balanced flavor of hops and malt. It doesn't have an overpowering flavor of hops (see Stegmaier IPA), but the hops presence is definitely there, even to my sometimes shoddy tastebuds.

Mouthfeel: not a light beer, I probably wouldn't want to enjoy this outside on a hot summer day, but it's a good beer to drink here in my apartment.

Overall: Stan recommends.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz glass into a large pilsner glass, this beer comes out dark brown and smooth, with 2-finger head that stays for a while.

Aroma: Enticing, hoppy aroma, albeit rather weak.

Taste: Can taste some malts, but they are far overpowered by the hops, which are very tasty and a bit spicy, but not overwhelming or overly bitter. Leaves a hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Thick, slightly carbonated, bitter tang. A nice mouthfeel is one of my favorite aspects of IPA's and other hoppy craft beers. This one does not have the best of all IPA's but holds its own.

Victory HopDevil is an excellent IPA that I would recommend as a must-drink for any hophead, and you'll want to drink it several times again. While being a great example of a hoppy beer, it is not overwhelmingly bitter, and I would even recommend it to one hoping to be introduced to the wonderful world of hops.

2.2/5  rDev -45.8%

All in all not a great taste. They threw a ton of spices together and prayed... an overpowering taste of hops. Very heavy flavor. I guess a lot of people are into that though. Not me though, not a smooth beer and certainly not good flavor. I would not recommend this overpriced and overrated beer to anyone.

3.82/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Decent IPA. I was expecting the hops to be more distinctive in this beer, but it was more or less an average IPA. I guess the name of the beer had me expecting more, so in that sense I'm a bit disappointed... But not a bad IPA nonetheless

I liked this one. Nice deep copper color. Nice head and great hoppy smell. The hoppy fragrance got me. I first had this on tap in Harrisburg, PA and just found it here. Not my favorite IPA but my selection of IPA's here in VA is somewhat limited. This is one of the better ones available to us. I'll definitely buy it again.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

This beer presents in a 12oz. brown bottle with the freshness date marked. It pours a one finger beige head that has good retention and laces nicely. The beer has a very slight haze and is dark amber in color. A great looking beer.

The aroma is a beautiful thing. A strong hop smell that almost reminds me of freshly cut grass. A great aroma. The first taste is perfect. Slightly sweet malt at first that smoothly transitions into a perfectly strong hop bitterness. Good hop character that is not overwhelming. The beautiful bitterness lasts for quite awhile in the back of the throat. Magnificently balanced. The mouthfeel is medium in body and goes well with the beer. A incredibly drinkable beer.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

On tap at Firewaters in Atlantic City, N.J.
As were some other reviewers, I was very surprised at how well-balanced this beer was. It reminded me a lot of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, which is a good thing. Probably a bit hoppier than SNCA, but the hops are not overwhelming as I feared. Drinkability quite high. I would definitely buy this beer if I could find it anywhere in my area.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Label - I have to say it is my all time favorite , I love the picture of the HOP with the eyes, Love the flame colors behind the Devil. This beer to date has been nearly my all time favorite, and ironically, the first time I had it I had no idea how good it was. This beer (at this time) is my (largely unqualified) bench mark for IPAs

A - The is a great looking beer. Dark red bronze look to it. Big head upon pour, nice lacing. Ive swirled this one a few times.

S - Smells like hops as it should

T - Hoppy, some sweetness to it. You taste the booze on almost every swig. I have a great respect for this brew. It was actually the beer that moved me to the APAs and the IPAs.

M - Full , Creamy- but not overdone

D - Clearly a session beer, Ive proved it many times. I think this is a quality beer

Last point - I had this beer at the pub the night of the 10 year anniversary. Nothing like the bottle. I need to get there again to verify my suspicion that this beer is better in the bottle.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance: Pours into a snifter a dark almost reddish clear color. Not much of a head, but then I didn't pour for a big one.

Smell: Smells of pine flavor.

Taste: It tastes much like it smells. A bit of a pine flavor with a hoppy bitter aftertaste, very flavorful.

Mouthfeel: A very nice mouthfeel, the bubbles aren't to large or too frequent or the reverse.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink, I enjoy this one a lot. The alcohol content isn't too high and the beer doesn't taste like slightly flavored perrier either.

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

It was a little difficult to take it serious based on its name...I thought this would just be some second rate IPA but was quite impressed. One of your darker IPAs with more than a fare share of hops and lot more character than that of the lighter IPAs. Very solid feel in the mouth, it surrounds the tongue and attacks from all directions.

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance: Slightly hazy but beautiful copper/amber color. The head was an off white color and not very thick, fizzled away into a ring that left very little lacing.

Smell: Strong hops smell, very citrusy. Smells fantastic.

Taste: Just as it smelled it has a strong hops flavor with some spice. Very well balanced.

Mouth feel: Very smooth and clear, not gritty or overly carbonated.

Drinkability: This is a terrific beer and easily sessionable. I will be adding HopDevil to my line up of favorite brews.

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Picked this up based on store posted Beer Advocate ratings.

A: This beer looked good, a little cloudy, but rich in color.

S: This beer smells like it advertises. Very strong hops.

T: This beer is all hops. Some may dig that, and I do normally, but there wasn't any balance in this beer. It was all bitter hops.

M: Hopdevil left a bitter taste in my mouth for hours after drinking it. I almost wanted to drink something else to clear.

D: I can only do one of these in a sitting. To much bitterness. A touch of sweetness to balance this would make it amazing!

4.46/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass. Small, thin, off white head that retreated quickly. Great deep copper color.

As with most IPAs, citrusy and piney notes prevail...very pleasant.

Taste was exceptional! Huge caramel malt backbone that is quickly balanced with bitterness from the hops. Long, dry finish with a pleasant bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was a little chewy. Mediocre carbonation but not bad.

I would have more than one of these in a row. Very satisfying and the somewhat high ABV is well disguised by the thick malty character and the high hop presence.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

A lot of IPA's try to distinguish themselves, Don't expect this one to stray from the good 'ole harsh bitterness and ever lasting hop aroma. Good beer for a dry mouth on either a cool night or an afternoon of football. Not as drinkable as some IPA's but the Hopdevil definitely doesn't disappoint the hop heads.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Bought a single bottle as a part of a "make your own 6-pack". Honestly its a lot different than I was expecting. Big, bold flavor with very little bitterness, pretty spicy, but not as hoppy as I was hoping for,
The 6.7% ABV is hidden well, but it just tasted to me like a "dark" beer, not so much your standard IPA.

Overall not bad, but not something I would rush out to buy again, especially not if I was in the mood for an IPA. Definitely wouldn't mind paying $3.50 for a pint though at a bar.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

I am yet to have a product from Victory that I didn't like--at least to some degree. The Hop Devil Ale is certainly no exception. Although the hops were a little subtle and less pronounced than I would have liked; I would definitely recommend this beer to friends. It is also attractively priced.

It had an excellent pour and very good head retention. The mouth feel and drinkability were also right on par. The alcohol level and purchase price make this a beer that can be enjoyed regularly and in large quantities.

The hop rate however is where this brew stumbles a bit. With a name like Hop Devil, I expected it to be aggressively hopped and to have a profound hop presence; this is where this beer fell a little short.

All things considered, this is a fine beer, and I would without doubt recommend this to fellow enthusiasts.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

This was the beer that turned me on to American craft beer. When I had it on tap at Tyler's Taproom in Durham, NC the other night I realized it was finally time to review it.

Served in a pint glass through which I could see the clarity and copper color of this beer.

The aroma is all hops - citrus & maybe a little piney - but it's not overwhelming. In my opinion, it's enticing.

From the first sip to the last, it's all citrus & pine hops with just a hint of malty sweetness. This is the beer that introduced me to hops and when I first had it years ago, I thought there was no way anyone could get more hops in a beer. Now I realize how there's actually some balance in there. Each sip left a slight hop bitterness that lasted until the next one.

I still like this beer as much as I did the first time I had it - maybe more. Victory, in typical fashion, did a great job with this one.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Served cold and poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: 3/4 a finger of head, I must admit it was a weak pour so I fault myself for that. Receded quickly but left some nice lacing down the glass. A darker amber color, one of the darkest IPAs I've seen.

Smell: Hops in the forefront, nothing too special. I smell some strong and sweet caramel malt, more than I like in my IPAs.

Taste: Again, nothing too special. This is tasty beer but nothing stands out to me, some light citrus hop flavors up front. The caramel malt is too strong for my liking here, a little sweet on the aftertaste.

Overall: A solid IPA but frankly, I expected more. I understand this is a matter of personal preference, but I just don't like such a strong malt presence in IPAs. I also have some Hop Wallop I'm waiting to try, I hope the malt there is more toned down than this.

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

This is a great IPA! One of my few that are always in stock in my fridge. The pour produces a golden full bodied appearance with ample frothy head that lasts. The smell is sticky sweet with a hint of the delicious hops. Mouthfeel is full and well balanced with excellent taste. I enjoy a full bodied beer and this really delivers!

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown