HopDevil India Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Ratings: 7,350 |  Reviews: 2,535
4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance: Pours a medium copper-amber body with a dense, creamy off-white head.

Smell: Sweet-smelling, floral aroma with some citrus and brown sugar. Also, there's a fruitiness to it, but beyond some peaches its more of a vague fruitiness for me, like standing with your back to a fruit platter at a party.

Taste: Soft flavors throughout, be it the toasty malts, grapefruit, or the single drop of caramel sweetness, and though the finish is light in its bitterness, there is an acidic flare-up right on the swallow.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with a lively carbonation. Slight warmth from the alcohol.

Drinkability: Overall, its a fairly easygoing IPA, with none of the flavors ever really pronouncing themselves, leaving the experience a bit lacking.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Three Floyd's glass. It poured a dark amber color with a slight red tint to it. It started with a moderate sized, sticky white head to it which lasted pretty well into drinking it. I love the color.

The aroma shows a lot of bitter, citrusy, grapefruit, hoppy flavors to it. Behind that I get some sweeter, slightly caramel like malts peeking through. It doesn't feel sweet at all even though you seem to get a pretty strong malt presence.

The taste shows more of those bitter, citrusy, juicy, hop flavors throughout the beer. I get grapefruit being the most present, with some orange flavors coming through as well. Again the malt comes through pretty well, but manages to show little sweetness. The finish is dry and bitter with more of the grapefruit flavors lingering.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being a little below average. Overall it's a pretty solid beer with a bold bitter, hop profile to it. Very drinkable and flavorful beer.

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Slightly cloudy orange-amber, more orange than most. The head is pale orange to light toffee in color and leaves wisps and small sheets of sticky lace as it falls. The nose is hoppy, but it isn't one-dimensional. Malt is appreciated, as is a certain spiciness.

The flavor is of hops and caramel malt. The hops win comfortably, but there's more malt than I'm used to in an American IPA. Those of you who like a strong malt presence or a balanced character in your IPAs will love it. Citrus fruit is front and center, especially grapefruit and orange peel.

The body/mouthfeel is medium-full and is nicely done. It's very slightly dry on the finish, which is where the hops assert themselves to an even greater extent.

Even though I like my IPAs to be slanted a little more toward the hoppy end of the scale, this is a very good beer and is one that I'll buy whenever I have the opportunity. Love the HopDevil on the label.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From my notes from a trip back to NC

Pours caramel with a 1" white head. Good lacing & so/so head retention

S: A little peppery hops & some malt

T: Malt sweetness up front then piney & peppery hops which become more prominent as it warms. Finishes dry fruitty & hoppy

MF: Rich & slightlty effervescent & great balance

Drinks really easy, a nice IPA that is now availible in CO, yeah!

Poured into a DFH snifter glass

A: Pours a a somewhat hazy amber/orange color with a small head. There is some nice lacing that clings to the side of my glass.

S: A really great nose on this beer. A pretty strong grapefruit up front from the hops and sweet malty aroma on the back.

T: This beer tastes great, it has a nice hop taste on the front along with the grapefruit/citrus from the nose. There is some toasted malt in the middle and it finishes with a nice IPA bitterness that remains on your tongue until the next sip.

M/D: It is very smooth and is easy drinking. A very nice IPA that I will certainly drink again.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Nice sticky lace, but the head dies very quickly. Cloudy and slightly orange in the amber color.

Very fresh dry hop aromas--alluring. The flavors have an excellent blend of round, pale maltiness with a distinct bitter kick of hop. The bitterness lasts long after the swallow. Strong carbonation as well as a strong oily alcohol touch.

This is a superior IPA: full bodied, bitter, aromatic. I'd love to try this one in a blind flight with Stone IPA (my current favorite). This one is very close.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a rich copper with a nice creamy colored head and significant lace. Looks great. Smell is richly hopped , with even a bit of a sugary presence. Taste was very nice, not overly upfront with the hops, but it will catch you on the back end. Nice dry finish. Again that almost caramel malty taste rounds this out very nicely. Very smooth as well. This is a good IPA that is not Crazy Hopped, although I do prefer insanely hopped beers. Overall very nice.

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

I had this on tap at Yorgo's in Lancaster PA -served chilled in a pint. I thought I reviewed before, but alas this is my first...

A - Brilliant copper/fiery amber w/ an inch of beige capping the ipa which settles quickly and clings like a sheet as lace. The clarity is very good and the ale has a very fine bead.

S - Nice aroma of hops which are of American origin and subtle malt sweet note. The nose hints as yeast which is almost meaty with its intensity

M - A mild acidity up front and the bitterness is on par for the style. The carbonation is med high and sweetness restrained with only mild malt texture

T - A malt note begins and the taste of American hops (not too bitter but not too tame) a yeasty flavor which has a mild bready taste and the hops seem to exhibit a pine flavor as it warms. The alcohol is evident in the taste as the hop bitterness is fresh like chewing on a pellet, but lacks flavor and just seems bitter without depth. The carbonation makes it hard to enjoy the malt since it overtakes it mostly.

D- A nice IPA, but seems middle of the road in the popular saturated IPA market currently. The beer is drinkable, yes - but not my first choice if I want an American IPA. I think it represents the style well, though.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

A bit dryer and crisper than on-tap, the clarity is a shade clearer but still hazy with a frothy sticky head. Quite aromatic with lots of semi-coarse hop, lightly toasted grain alcoholic esters. The flavour is a mirror image of the aroma with lots of hops in the bitterness and flavour. I prefer it on draft though, probably because I usually drink it our of a 32oz mug at BukowskiÂ’s Tavern.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

The color is dark copper with lots of carbonation. The large, thick head is off-white. Aroma is of a citrussy hop on top of sweet malt. As for the taste, piney hops jump out first but are soon taken over by a distinct pineapple flavor. Bitterness is very strong. An underly sweetness mixes in nicely. The overall IPA flavor here is a little different than most that I've sampled, the bitterness is a bit intrusive, still I really enjoyed HopDevil, but its not my favorite. This is something I'll pick up again, just to see if I can find out what the fuss about.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Thanks to Jason for sending this one as an extra. I tried it quite some time ago, when I first started getting into beer, so it is nice to revisit this beer.

A: The pour is a clear amber color which is, sort of dark for an IPA, I must say. There's a thin off-white head to go with it.

S: Certainly some hops on the nose. Much more toward the sweet, fruity side of things with notes of mango, tangerine, orange, and overripe pineapple. Some caramel maltiness is in there as well.

T: Surprisingly bitter for such a sweet nose. Quite a bit of pine with a bit of a citrus peel bitterness, too. Some lemon zest and maybe a little bit of soap? A touch of bread and slightly burnt toffee, as well.

M: The body is medium with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: Maybe not quite as good as I had remembered it being a couple years ago, but still a pretty good and readily available IPA from Victory.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

From 01/22/12 notes. Picked up a bottle of this on Friday at Stateline in MD. 12 oz. bottle poured into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a somewhat transparent reddish amber color with moderate carbonation evident and one finger of fluffy off white head. Light lacing left on the glass.

s - Smells of fruity malts, pine hops, caramel malts, grapefruit, and citrus hops. Hops are there but not overly strong, and more malts than I was expecting.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, pine hops, fruity malts, pale malts, caramel malts. taste has more hops than the nose but is still decently malty, and has some lightly bitter to it. A step up from the nose to me.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation, with some light bitterness.

o - Overall a nice IPA, though I was expecting it to be hoppier. A nice mix of hops and malts, and pretty easy to drink. Would give another shot sometime.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Served on cask at The Brewhouse Grille.

A - Pours clear copper orange with a thin film of white head leaving very little lace down the glass.

S - Smells of plenty of caramel sweetness, some light hop bitterness and some dulled citric fruit. Cask may not be the best serving method for this one, seems to kill some of the usually bright nose.

T - Starts off with a bit of hop bitterness quickly giving way to plenty of sweet caramel malt and a bit of dulled citric fruit. Finish is pretty sweet with a bit of bitterness, not lingering for very long. This one may be a bit old but the cask serving really didn't help much either.

M - Smooth body with a light hoppy feel and moderately low carbonation. It looked dead when it was poured and didn't get much better.

O - I have always enjoyed Hop Devil and while this wasn't the best I have had, this one was no different. Glad I gave it a try but I think I will stick to on-tap for this one.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Gee, Hop Devil gets reviewed so seldom that I am anxious to get one posted. Ha! Instead, I want to indulge in a little bit of (not really) frivolity.

Ode to Hop Devil

O, great Hoppus Maximus!
You were my first love.
I discovered you early on
And although I have had others
You remain the one that converted me.
Once, I embraced Rolling Rock,
But the pony left me behind.
Then, I received your kiss,
And I was won!

My mentor, Lew, puts it so well:
You are the perfect marriage of malt and hops
And who am I to disagree?
Your tawny beauty is breathtaking
But so is your tannish head.
Some find you indescribable
But I must disagree!

You, dear Hop Devil, are the beer for me.
Rotsaruch, Maybrick, Shapudding, favorites all,
But you, Hop Devil, make me sit up tall.
Your sticky lacing,
Your thick, full mouthfeel,
Your bitter start,
Your sweet end,
Your reddishness,
You, baby, are my dream.

They say that the devil is male,
But you give that supposition the lie.
Hop Devil, you are as sensuous as any woman.
I will love you until the day I die.

My apologies if that seems rambling or silly, but it was heartfelt. May my Karma be struck dead.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

3.59/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Growler shared by Lunch. Thanks Paul!

The appearance is simply fantastic. The beer appears transparent and amber / orange in color, with nearly two inches of dense, creamy head that coats the glass with a thick sheet of lacing.

The aroma brings a balance of hops and malts, along with some toasted notes.

The flavor is tangy and bitter, with malt in the driver seat more so than hops. Very fresh, crisp and clean on the palate, as this growler was just filled. While I appreciate balance and realize that a beer doesn't have to be over the top to be a good brew, HopDevil just lacks the hop presence required by the style.

The feel is decent enough, but I find myself distracted by the hop to malt ratio.

Overall, a middle of the road offering. There are many better IPAs that are easily accessible.

HopDevil India Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown