HopDevil India Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Ratings: 7,427 |  Reviews: 2,557
3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

First had: bottle at a friend's house

A staple of the Philly area, VHD is a common find and on average a very good beer overall. A reddish amber color with a nice white head, varying in size, but generally well-retaining and well-lacing. Fruity, happy hop nose with a well-defined bready malt base. Crisp bready malts in the taste, sweet, with an influx of citrus hops, grapefruit, pineapple, orange zest. Medium-bodied, well-balanced, a little bitter in the finish, but overall a fine quaff.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

On cask, via hand pump, @ the Victory Brewing Company (Downingtown, PA) on 8/5/11. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a deep clear copper in the glass, topped with roughly 1 ½ fingers of stiff bright-white head. This retains at nearly a full finger, staying rich throughout, and drenching the sides of the glass with heavy creamy lacing. The aroma is loaded with grassy, spicy, earthy, and piney character, which is undercut by a layer of fresh smelling grapefruit zest. Backing notes of caramel and bread fill out the back of the nose, while just a touch of light alcohol heat creeps out as well as this warms.

The taste is bright feeling with a fresh citrus bitterness that possesses a pronounced earthy edge to it. This however is immediately cut by the malts, with notes of toasted bread and caramel doing a nice job of balancing this. Hops return in the quite aggressive finish on this though, with notes of pithy rind, spice, and resin all contributing to the strength and dryness of this. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a fantastic creamy feel and an overall smooth crispness that glides along effortlessly despite the assertive hop profile and light alcohol warmth that is present. Just a great cask feel here that really contributes a lot to this.

With its American take on a British IPA, Hop Devil seems to be a rather polarizing beer with some people. Cask however is the way to go with this beer, as it really pops those hop flavors, helps smooth out the earthy and aggressive edges of the profile, and generally keeps that close to 7% ABV drinking rather nicely. A pint on cask here is just a given for me when it’s one.

3.64/5  rDev -10.3%

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Nice sticky lace, but the head dies very quickly. Cloudy and slightly orange in the amber color.

Very fresh dry hop aromas--alluring. The flavors have an excellent blend of round, pale maltiness with a distinct bitter kick of hop. The bitterness lasts long after the swallow. Strong carbonation as well as a strong oily alcohol touch.

This is a superior IPA: full bodied, bitter, aromatic. I'd love to try this one in a blind flight with Stone IPA (my current favorite). This one is very close.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From my notes from a trip back to NC

Pours caramel with a 1" white head. Good lacing & so/so head retention

S: A little peppery hops & some malt

T: Malt sweetness up front then piney & peppery hops which become more prominent as it warms. Finishes dry fruitty & hoppy

MF: Rich & slightlty effervescent & great balance

Drinks really easy, a nice IPA that is now availible in CO, yeah!

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Gee, Hop Devil gets reviewed so seldom that I am anxious to get one posted. Ha! Instead, I want to indulge in a little bit of (not really) frivolity.

Ode to Hop Devil

O, great Hoppus Maximus!
You were my first love.
I discovered you early on
And although I have had others
You remain the one that converted me.
Once, I embraced Rolling Rock,
But the pony left me behind.
Then, I received your kiss,
And I was won!

My mentor, Lew, puts it so well:
You are the perfect marriage of malt and hops
And who am I to disagree?
Your tawny beauty is breathtaking
But so is your tannish head.
Some find you indescribable
But I must disagree!

You, dear Hop Devil, are the beer for me.
Rotsaruch, Maybrick, Shapudding, favorites all,
But you, Hop Devil, make me sit up tall.
Your sticky lacing,
Your thick, full mouthfeel,
Your bitter start,
Your sweet end,
Your reddishness,
You, baby, are my dream.

They say that the devil is male,
But you give that supposition the lie.
Hop Devil, you are as sensuous as any woman.
I will love you until the day I die.

My apologies if that seems rambling or silly, but it was heartfelt. May my Karma be struck dead.

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance: Pours a medium copper-amber body with a dense, creamy off-white head.

Smell: Sweet-smelling, floral aroma with some citrus and brown sugar. Also, there's a fruitiness to it, but beyond some peaches its more of a vague fruitiness for me, like standing with your back to a fruit platter at a party.

Taste: Soft flavors throughout, be it the toasty malts, grapefruit, or the single drop of caramel sweetness, and though the finish is light in its bitterness, there is an acidic flare-up right on the swallow.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with a lively carbonation. Slight warmth from the alcohol.

Drinkability: Overall, its a fairly easygoing IPA, with none of the flavors ever really pronouncing themselves, leaving the experience a bit lacking.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured into a DFH snifter glass

A: Pours a a somewhat hazy amber/orange color with a small head. There is some nice lacing that clings to the side of my glass.

S: A really great nose on this beer. A pretty strong grapefruit up front from the hops and sweet malty aroma on the back.

T: This beer tastes great, it has a nice hop taste on the front along with the grapefruit/citrus from the nose. There is some toasted malt in the middle and it finishes with a nice IPA bitterness that remains on your tongue until the next sip.

M/D: It is very smooth and is easy drinking. A very nice IPA that I will certainly drink again.

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Slightly cloudy orange-amber, more orange than most. The head is pale orange to light toffee in color and leaves wisps and small sheets of sticky lace as it falls. The nose is hoppy, but it isn't one-dimensional. Malt is appreciated, as is a certain spiciness.

The flavor is of hops and caramel malt. The hops win comfortably, but there's more malt than I'm used to in an American IPA. Those of you who like a strong malt presence or a balanced character in your IPAs will love it. Citrus fruit is front and center, especially grapefruit and orange peel.

The body/mouthfeel is medium-full and is nicely done. It's very slightly dry on the finish, which is where the hops assert themselves to an even greater extent.

Even though I like my IPAs to be slanted a little more toward the hoppy end of the scale, this is a very good beer and is one that I'll buy whenever I have the opportunity. Love the HopDevil on the label.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

From 01/22/12 notes. Picked up a bottle of this on Friday at Stateline in MD. 12 oz. bottle poured into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a somewhat transparent reddish amber color with moderate carbonation evident and one finger of fluffy off white head. Light lacing left on the glass.

s - Smells of fruity malts, pine hops, caramel malts, grapefruit, and citrus hops. Hops are there but not overly strong, and more malts than I was expecting.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, pine hops, fruity malts, pale malts, caramel malts. taste has more hops than the nose but is still decently malty, and has some lightly bitter to it. A step up from the nose to me.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation, with some light bitterness.

o - Overall a nice IPA, though I was expecting it to be hoppier. A nice mix of hops and malts, and pretty easy to drink. Would give another shot sometime.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

A bit dryer and crisper than on-tap, the clarity is a shade clearer but still hazy with a frothy sticky head. Quite aromatic with lots of semi-coarse hop, lightly toasted grain alcoholic esters. The flavour is a mirror image of the aroma with lots of hops in the bitterness and flavour. I prefer it on draft though, probably because I usually drink it our of a 32oz mug at Bukowski’s Tavern.

3.25/5  rDev -20%

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

22 oz. pour at the Food Shack in Jupiter, FL.

Appearance - Two finger off-white head atop a deep amber body. Pretty clear with good lacing. Dark for an IPA, but otherwise nice looking.

Smell - Not a lot of aroma. Some piney hops and a bit of bready malt. Sometimes I have trouble getting good aromas when I get a beer on tap, but this is even lower in aroma than that.

Taste - Piney hops first with a toasty malt midrange. I wish it was hoppier, especially because there isn't a lot of citrus to it. The piney hops make it feel less... brisk? A long, almost smokey bitter finish that lingers.

Mouthfeel - Good carbonation and medium bodied. It's easy drinking and tasty.

Overall - Not bad, not great. Hardly this side of good, really. I'd drink it if nothing else were available.

2.79/5  rDev -31.3%

The smell is difficult for me....it smelled well....pukey. The Devil come strong with the hop and then leaves the palate dry and with a sour finish. The alcohol content with the hops makes it bitter, but not to bitter for this guy. It would be a tough session beer, but if on a dare I would go for it!

HopDevil India Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown