HopDevil India Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Ratings: 7,467 |  Reviews: 2,565

4.75/5  rDev +17%

4.75/5  rDev +17%

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Nice reddish-brown color. Hoppy aroma with a little sweetness in there. Nice head retention.

Taste is divine; I'm not a real hop-head and for me it was the perfect balance of the bitterness and the flowery overtones of the hops. Crisp but not too tart. To my taste buds, this is exactly what a top-notch IPA should taste like. Bravo to Victory for this amazing brew.

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

HopDevil was my introduction to the Victory Brewing Company, and I'd like to take the opportunity to thank them for entering the Texas market. I've been reading about their beers for quite a while here on BA, and I've always wanted to give them a try. This was definitely a case of the reality living up to the anticipation. HopDevil comes with a beautifully crafted label, the smiling HopDevil fashioned out of hop leaves beckoning forth and tempting the drinker. Nice touch. The beer ain't bad, either.

HopDevil poured with a more than adequate head of froth, and a deep amber coloring. The nose was all hops, clean and refreshing.

The taste was also full of hops, but not overwhelmingly so. This wasn't an outright hop bomb along the lines of SNCA. No, this was more like a Stone IPA, although not quite as balanced. The hops take the forefront of the flavor, but the beer did have a well-developed malt backbone to keep things from getting out of hand. Incredibly clean and fresh taste. Nice citrus notes, almost a fruity complexion behind the hoppiness. Beautifully done, and very interesting.

The mouthfeel was great, the carbonation was excellent. The drinkability was high, as this is a perfect summertime quaffer. I'll pick the HopDevil out of a crowd again the next time that I'm looking for a good summer beer with some bite.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

apperance: pour a orange/ copper hue w/ small off white head. For a small head it last throughout the whole beer leaving a good lace.

smell: I scented a lovely piney hop w/ a hint of grapefruit.

taste: Started off slightly sweet w/ a nice bitter aftertaste that lingered for some time on my tongue.

mouthfeel: Really nice body from light to medium w/ a lively carbonation feel. The texture was a little dry as expected, but left a small hint of alcohol on tongue. Yum.

drinkability: Smooth, crisp, and dry all at the same time. The warmer the beer got the better flavor it had.

Overall, this is a really good beer. I enjoy drinking a six and will buy it again.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured a orange-brown color with red tints, and a cream-colored head that bubbled down fairly slowly. The smell was strong and quite pleasant: earthy, hoppy punch, with plenty of pine flavor, but a dash of sweetness. It was complex and complimentary, and the taste proved to be so as well. The taste had massive amounts of hop power, as you can imagine. It was fresh, and perfectly combined the floral, sweeter hops with grassy, bitter ones. Also, the are sharp citrus flavors as well, like grapefruit and orange. There was a sweet, caramel-like malt base that was simply perfect: not too sweet, not too bready, just right. The drinkability is fantastic: it's so hoppy it's spicey, so I couldn't drink it too quickly, but it still goes down smooth and easy, with the the other flavors coming in. All in all, a great beer that is powerful without being too over-the-top, as I find many American IPAs.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

A - Copper/amber color with a thick foamy off white head and excellent lacing.

S - Nice balance between the hops and the malts. Hops are on the citrus and floral side. (this is an old bottle so the hops are not as pronounced as they usually are)

T/M - Slightly sweet up front with a nice complex lingering bitterness in the finish. Very well balanced in terms of the style. Medium body with moderate carbonation.

Excellent beer!

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

3.76/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance: Pours a darkish, kind of burnt amber color with a small off-white head.

Smell: Hops. Period. It smells like you’re holding a wonderful bouquet of liquid hops.

Taste: Smoothly bitter with a hoppy finish that blooms on the palate.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied, creamy with a light fizz.

Drinkability: I have a hard time answering this one. HopDevil is a great beer, but almost overwhelming. I don’t know if I could see myself pounding down a bunch of them.

Comments: This is my kind of IPA. I love Hops, and the Devil delivers! I wish they brewed this stuff when I lived in Philly. Thankfully, it’s findable out here in Oregon. I plan to keep a few bottles in my stash.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: Dark golden brown with a three-finger head. Looks pretty intimidating.
Smell: A little less hoppy than I thought, still pretty present though.
Taste: A big blast of hops followed by a big blast of bitterness. This one leaves the mouth pretty dry.
Mouthfeel: Perfectly carbonated.
Drinkability: I was a little let down by this IPA, but it's still good and can be enjoyed in most situations.

2.9/5  rDev -28.6%

I know I might get slammed for this review but i cant help it, I was really unimpressed with this beer. Poured a nice amber color and that is where the postives will stop. Maybe drinking the souble IPAs I have for awhile has ruined me but the taste for this beer was really not up to par with some other IPAs. Was a little too flowery for me. ANd the mouthfeel really left an aftertaste in your mouth. Not one of my favorite IPAs but i will be willing to give it a second chance.

HopDevil India Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown