HopDevil India Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Ratings: 7,376 |  Reviews: 2,545
3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.75/5  rDev +17%

4.95/5  rDev +21.9%

One of the best american IPAs & the price is phenomenal

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

malt & hop - very nice. not too thick. nice pour and foam.

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A slightly hazy, medium dark, yellowish-red IPA with a medium, light tan head. The smell is hoppy and piney. The taste is malty with a cedary bitterness. The body in my mouth is firm, yet softly rounded. Overall, definitely and IPA, but a bit on the hoppy side for my evolving taste.

Bright and colorful eye-catching label with a picture of some hops with devil's horns. I've heard alot of good things about this beer but it wasn't as "over the top hops" as I expected.

(source: PremierGourmet; Buffalo, NY)

4.95/5  rDev +21.9%

A long time fan of Hopdevil in bottles, it was sure nice to have on tap...

Appearance:
Pours a deep amber. Foams to a small head. The color, while not quite as dark as a strong ale, is darker than most IPA's.

Smell:
On tap the smell is even more robust than the bottled. Floral hops & with a citrusy tang in the background greet the nose, I don't think an IPA could smell any better.

Taste/Mouthfeel:
Yumm.. Bitterness & fruitiness greet the front of the palate, forming a formidable balance of hops & malt. Rushing to the back of the palate the feel is at once smooth and creamy going down only to leave you with a lingering hoppy bitterness, the tastes of sawgrass, hay, and grapefruit topped off with malty sweetness are all there. Just beautiful.

Drinkability:
I usually start my sessions with a Hopdevil and often finish them with one too. For a 6.7% ABV, this is, as the label says, dangerously drinkable.

Wyll-

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a pale bronze with a nice 1/8" of creamy tan head. tons of creamy lacing and sticking.

OMG this is beer? Super faint, almost non existant aroma. There is some faint hints of apple, pear and a hint of melon.

The flavor is also a bit thin. This is a far cry from what I remembered this beer to be. This beer ought to be called Hop Angel but, that's to angelic. This beer is decent not more.

It feels thin for an IPA. Reminds me of a basic IPA. Surpiring. I remember this beer being a lot more hoppy.

This beer is as drinkable as a glass of water. Yum but what happend to the hops?

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Poured into a tumbler. Creamy amber color. Nice sized head which slowly dissipated but never completely.

Smell: Spicy and fruity scents. (I don’t have an experienced nose.)

Taste: Delicious. Hoppy with a slightly bitter finish. The taste improved as the beer warmed slightly. I couldn’t wait to finish it and have another.

Mouthfeel: Medium Body, perfect carbonation.

Notes: A really enjoyable IPA. Perfect balance between the very hoppy 90 minute and Harpoon’s milder IPA.

3.11/5  rDev -23.4%

Nice color. Paints the glass in delicious looking amber, red and orange hues. About a finger on the head and it seems to be sticking around. Solid lacing. Some slow moving carbonation is visible too. About as appetizing looking a beer as I can remember. Seems a little darker than some other IPAs I've tried.

The sniffer likes this one. A good balance of pine, lemon and other citrus scents. A distinctly hoppy scent. Just a hint of spice too. Smells delicious.

Taste somehow seems really weak to me. I'm not getting much beyond a faint caramel flavor at the finish. Just a hint of pine spice in there too. Am I missing something? This doesn't seem right. It's not that it tastes bad, it just doesn't taste like much of anything. Quite a disappointment.

Extremely smooth and mellow mouthfeel. I was really surprised by that. A good balance of bitter and sweet. Not much finish though.

I can't help but feel I've missed something in the taste department. I have another bottle that I'll use as a comparison later and edit this if necessary, but there's just nothing there. Really disappointing. I really like the mouthfeel. It's surprising for an IPA, but is that enough to keep drinking these? I doubt it.

Pours an amber color with a light beige/white head that is foamy.
Some grassy and piney elements to the aroma with a hint of citrus. Slight malt taste initially, then the hops kick in hard, giving it a strong, piney, hoppy taste with citrus elements. Light carbonation, good body. Excellent IPA, but the taste and punch are so strong I can only have one before feeling overwhelmed by the flavors.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a large wine glass. Pours a dark orange/copper color, with a tan, frothy, one-finger head. Beer is slightly hazy and contains only a few streams of visible carbonation. Retention is good and lacing sticks like glue to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Hop aroma is pretty sweet and tropical. Pineapple, mango, peach, and orange are the dominant scents. There is also quite a bit of malt in the nose, as well as a touch of bready yeast that is a nice compliment to the hops.

Taste: Very creamy texture and a big punch of hop bitterness. The hops are definitely dominant from the start, but the malty body detected in the nose finds its way into the mix towards the end. I'm definitely getting more pine and citrus than I got in the nose. I really enjoy how the smell of this beer takes you to one end of the spectrum, but the taste sends you cascading towards the other!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with a creamy finish offset by a bitterness bomb. Decent malt backbone, but I'd say the hops run the show here.

Drinkability: If it is hops you seek, then look no further. Hides the ABV really well and is a great representation of the style.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 FL OZ. bottle into pint glass-cone.
A - Carmel-Amber, light haze with a great bubbly lace.
S - Spicy herbal and balanced, pungent hop aroma, fruity and oily.
T - YUM! Medium crispness, hoppy palate with a light hints of malt. Big punch of oily hop pungent flavor, mild fruitiness and a malt sweetness that sneaks in towards the finish.
M - Great carbination balance with A bit of warmth in the end from the alcohol.

O - Wow, I 'thought' I've had this one before...MUCH better than I was expecting!!!A tasty and balanced IPA, AWESOME!

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Enjoy by date of 05/13/12. Poured slowly and carefully into a standard one pint glass.

A: A light shade of copper that is clear and has plenty of carbonation streaks raising. It had a thick almost clumpy off white head of about two fingers and left some lacing.

A: The aroma was some sweet caramel and some light floral dandelion and maybe some lavender.

M: Plenty of carbonation and a medium body. It leaves a slick coating.

T: This is where the beer shines. It begins with a caramel sweetness. Then the floral hops kick in, and then some pine comes through, too. All of the flavors are bold yet transition nicely from one to the next. It leaves a pleasently bitter after taste.

O: This is a great blend of bold flavors. Really outstanding how the flavors work well together. This a great american pale ale.

2.87/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Taste falls very flat. Can't taste the hops.

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Victory Brewing beers are new to the Texas market and I was quite excited to try them after all the great things I've heard about the beer. Pours a dark amber with a foamy head that dissipates relatively quickly, but retains a thin white layer down to the bottom of the glass. A spicy floral aroma and flavour, but with only a moderate bitterness. Very delicious and certainly one of my favourite IPA's.

4.11/5  rDev +1.2%

After my recent scary experience with an over-the-top hop monster (SN Bigfoot 2003), I was a little nervous about trying HopDevil, but I'm glad I did. For me, it's a good summertime beer, lighter than my usual stouts.

It poured an orangey red, with a chunky beige head. The aroma was faint, malt, caramel and hops. The taste was an initial blast of malt and caramel, purged right after with a steamroller's worth of hops. Mild hops, though, not anywhere near as mouth-puckeringly bitter as the previously mentioned Bigfoot. (Still maybe a bit too hoppy for a recent convert from macros. For them, try a Brooklyn IPA, just as good as HopDevil, but not as hoppy. Review coming soon...) As the beer warms, the taste blossoms into bursts of honey, cola, prunes. In retrospect, I've been drinking this too cold, try chilling this for a short while so that it's in between cellar and fridge temps. Mouthfeel was creamy smooth, with just enough carbonation to stand up to the jambalaya I had it with tonight. Finish was mild, just a faint mellow hop tang.

Thanks to Victory for enlightening me to the hoppy truth; hoppiness doesn't have to mean bitter and nasty.

HopDevil India Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown