HopDevil India Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Ratings: 7,434 |  Reviews: 2,559

3.77/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I like victory Brewing Company. They have quite a few good beers and this one is no exception.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured a hazy copper color with low cabonation, thick off-white head that receeded to a thin layer, but left a heavy lacing on the glass. Aroma is heavy of a pine needle smell, but with a bit of a citrusy hint to it, as well.

Heavy dose of hops jump you at first taste of this one. The earhty and floral flavors mix with a kick ass spiciness that really makes this beer shine, and definitely shoves the toasted malts right out of the spotlight. Mouthfeel is extremely smooth and creamy.

A truly excellent brew. The aroma doesn't quite do justice to the ass kicking your taste buds are about to receive, but everyone likes a surprise, right? Unfortunately, I imagine drinking a few of these would leave your taste buds in a comatose state for a few days.

Since DIM was awesome enough to hook me up with WildDevil, I figured I should revisit this first to compare.

Pours orange with a huge off white head that fades into a thin layer of foam.

Smell: All Brown Sugar and Grapefruit.

Taste: Citrus, Sweet Caramel, Dry finish, Creamy and Full bodied. Awesome and very drinkable.

If this was brewed in MI, I'd buy it all the time. Sadly, My loyalty lies with Crooked Tree and Two Hearted with a dash if Mad Hatter.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Has a strong citrus hop aroma with some difinite caramel aroma in there too. This beer has pretty cool amber color but the head and lacing did not show up as good as I hoped. The flavor is fantastic though. It has a lot of spicy and citrus flavored hops as was expected from the name. It does not lack anything in malt flavor either. Its mouthfeel doesn't really stand out but it isn't light either. This beer has good drinkability. I can see my self downing a six pack of it.

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

This is one of my favorite American IPA's. It is absolutley delicious. Pours a dark copper, almost red with an awesome white head. This beer has excellent lacing to it also. Has an strong aroma of citrus and hops and has a very slightly bitter taste that is perfect. This beer has an awesome drinkability. Nice burpability also. Great over all beer a must try.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Poured this 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint.

Appearance: Beer pours a brown/copper color that looks orange when held to the light. A standard pour provides a soapy/creamy 1 finger white head. Small amounts of lacing present and the head retains itself for a good portion of the beer.

Smell: Smell of wet hops and malt.

Taste: Decent hopped beginnings that make way to a bready/malt backbone before finishing with more hops.

Mouthfeel: Creamy in some areas, it is definitely decent though nothing overly special. Decent smooth carbonation.

Drinkability: This beer goes down easy and doesn't show its 6.7% abv at all. Well worth getting at least a six to session this one.

Final Thoughts - Decent entry from Victory. Different looking IPA that goes down smooth.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Beautiful copper-amber with a tinge of ruby. Crystal clear and with medium carbonation. I didn't pour with quite as much gusto as usual since I was using a different glass from normal, but I got a finger of dense, creamy off-white head. Great head retention, I poured this baby up, let it sit for about ten minutes and it still had a thick film of foam across the top. Wonderful lacing, it just won't stop clinging to the sides of the glass.

S: Very good caramel creates the backbone of the scent profile. Sweet and malty like a good IPA should smell. Really 50/50 on the malt/hops ratio. I also detect spicy notes and some slight (emphasis on slight) estery scents, like banana. Some grainy notes come through but remind of fresh whole grain bread. Hops aren't huge on the nose, but don't really need to be. I get some resinous, deep notes, and as a whole it definitely edges on piney and general "dank" earthy tones, but there is a tinge of lemongrass.

T: Counterintuitive to what I expected on the smell, the hops are forward here. Malt does a great job of supporting and balancing the bitter and deep green hops. At first, the resinous, earthy flavors are very pronounced, but don't overstay their welcome. Medium bitterness overall. Malt is subtle, but I do get definite caramel and a little bit of a brown sugar flavor. Again, reminds me of fresh baked artisan bread. As the beer warms, the spicy, fruity flavors come out to play. Pepper tingles on the tongue toward the end of the taste experience.

F: It tastes like a DIPA but doesn't feel like one. Medium bodied overall, not something that I could pound down but it's crisp like any good IPA should be. Doesn't finish remarkably clean, but it has some astringency from the slightly higher alcohol content which helps give it a slightly dry bite after the swallow.

Overall: Easily one of the best beers I've had the pleasure of reviewing. Balanced, complex without going crazy, and overall a joy to savor. I don't have much else to say about this, I've already written an article.

To good health and good beer.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Originally, I did not want to review this ale, as everyone before me has done an excellent job. But with a screen name like mine, I thought I must. Cloudy, amber color, which in my opinion is the true color of beer. The head is white, frothy and lasts throughout the pint. The lace rings a perfectly spaced layer until the bottom. Your first smell is pure heaven, as there is no better aroma then that of hops. Strong but not overwhealming. The taste is so well balanced you don't know which comes first, though I know it's the hops. Nice malt taste is there, mellow, bringing up the rear as it were, again balancing the hops. Don't let the name fool you, it's hoppy, but not to the point where you are scraping your tongue. Absolutely one of my favorite beers, and a standard in the fridge all year, especially in the summer.

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a hazy sort of rust-orange. Head builds up nicely to about an inch and subsides to a lasting cap that leaves traces down the glass.

It smells hoppy--not a whole lot else to say; the aromas are a little floral and strongly citrusy. In the mouth it makes good on its promise, hops all over the place, although not so aggressive as to be off-putting. Citric and floral notes are joined by a grassy undertone, while the alcohol comes through with warmth and a bit of spiciness. There's some bready yeast as well; as the beer warms, the bitterness takes on sort of a tea-like flavor, with an aftertaste that might be a bit too lingeringly bitter for my taste. The mouthfeel is great, very chewy and with a nice body.

This has sort of a quintessential (to my mind) IPA flavor, strongly hoppy and interesting. I'd definitely have another, and I wish I could have had one with lunch today (some great Indian food).

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

A - It had an amber-like color with a soapy head. The head dissipated pretty quickly but it left a pretty nice lacing.

S - Very hoppy. Obvious earthy and grapefruit tones. Malt tones were also pretty obvious.

T - Excellent IPA. There was a bit of a bread-like taste to it. Very nice and slightly tangy.

M - Tangy yet refreshing. Pretty smooth taste

D - For an IPA it is pretty sessionable. I had two kicked back pretty quickly before I knew it.

I had this up in North Conway. I must say Delaney's Hole in the Wall surprised me with this brew. I picked it at random and I wasn't disappointed. Worth a ride.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a nice surprisingly amber color. Rich head fades a nice creamy lace. Initial taste is a well balanced malt with a bitter aftertaste, with a little citrus and honey. A lot more mild then the Victory Hop Whallop but this is more of an amber to me. Recommended.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Dense tan head of creamy foam. Clear golden-copper appearance. Slight floral aroma. Nice floral-sour hoppy punch with good malty-sweet balance. Really easy to drink; ranks with the best IPA's I've tried. Might have helped that it was on tap versus bottled. Went great with hot wings.

HopDevil India Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown