HopDevil India Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Ratings: 7,459 |  Reviews: 2,562
3.61/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Some white-ish bubbly head. Dark, rich amber. Hardly any bubbles.

S: Quite hoppy. Some citrus and pine. Some sweet, grainy malts.

T: Piney hops. A little grapefruit. A bit sweet in the back of my throat. Not bad.

M: Strong, full, carbonated.

O: Not bad. I'm just not terribly impressed. Quite drinkable.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass. Best before 02 October 2011.

A: Tight finger of head on a dull dark bronze beer. Clearish, with bubbles. Nice lace.

S: Moderately nice hops. A little boring. Caramael?

T: Not very impressive. Subdued flavours and sort of watery. What are there are American IPA piney hops, with plenty of juicy citrus to keep things interesting. It's by no means a bad IPA, just a thoroughly middle of the road one. Aftertaste is lightly dry and relatively brief.

M: Nice. Robust, chewy, and carbonated. Astringent hops before the smoothness (wateriness?) kicks in.

O: Overall, a decent, drinkable IPA. Nothing really good or bad about it. Probably wouldn't recommend, but I wouldn't advise you against it. Might have again.

EDIT 8 October 2017: Drinking from a can into a Teku glass, and I completely agree with my review from 6 years ago.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

A - copper amber. nearly clear. decent off white foamy head. nice lacing. overall good look.

S - light fruity esters. some citrus and sweet malts. good dose of spicy hops.

T/M - very well balanced flavors from the sweet malts and bitter, spicy hops. the hops are dominant on the back end which I enjoy, less than I expected but still great. hints of fruit and orange rind citrus. smooth and refreshing. some what of a soapy body but still enjoyable.

O - for a beer with a name like "HopDevil" I was expected a punch in the face from the hops, but I didn't get it. This is still a very good beer though. definitely fits the criteria for any hop head.

2.94/5  rDev -27.6%

gorgeous crystalline toffee color with 1/2 in. head, receding fast. aromatically challenged, wound up tight. fresh baked bread with concord grape jam, burnt popcorn, perfume counter at the mall on the nose. medium mouthfeel with disappearing to zero midpalate that transitions into short sappy bark plummy abrupt finish. big pazzz on this...

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

I have had this before and liked it but it was always close to the enjoy by date. I found this fresher batch (enjoy by Sept 26 2011) at one of the local liquor stores that previously didn't carry it so without hesitation grabbed a sixer. With the menacing devil staring me down I start this review.

12 oz bottle poured into a stemless wine glass. The color is a gorgeous amber with a khaki head that faded rather quickly. However a quick swirl around the glass brought it back but again no retention.

The aroma is a little weak to me with sweet caramel malts coming out and like a few others have said a spice I can't identify but it is not off putting.

The taste is really good. It starts off sweet and malty but then the hops introduce themselves and interrupt the malt but not rudely. The previously mentioned mystery spice is part of the flavor as well but like the aroma does not hinder the enjoyment. Make no mistake, the finish is hops and a pleasant bitterness but certainly not as hoppy as the name Hop Devil would suggest.

The mouthfeel is creamy and lightly carbonated but the carbonation fades quickly which disappointed me a little. Not too thick, not too thin and the flavors do work the palate nicely.

Overall I love this beer when fresh but only like it when its a little dated. I love a lot of Victory's beers and fresh Hop Devil is no exception. Newbies to the aggressive hop ales will probably not like this beer (imho) but I sure do.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I have not had this one is a while...I believe this is one of the beers that initially got me interested in craft beer.

A lovely burnt copper color in my 512 pint glass. Off-white head, disappated fairly quickly, but left pretty streaks of lace. This beer really pops in the glass.

Quite a mix of scents in this one...spicy...can't quite trace what it is, followed by tropical mango, grapefruit, pine, a bit of caramel malt.

The taste was a bit of a letdown...the hops were there, but they felt more grassy and dry, not the oily, tropical or grapefruit kick that I like. The spicyness was tame and the sweet malt I smelled seemed subdued a bit. The aftertaste threw off the flavor...can't quite put my finger on it, but it felt a bit unbalanced. Maybe this was an older bottle?

Still, a good and interesting take on a IPA, but in my opionion, not one to seek out.

4.06/5  rDev 0%

Attractive red-amber with a thick, off-white head. Beautiful lacing -- lovely and meticulously detailed. A in presentation, for sure!

Pleasing olfactory, too..pine and woody hops resins.

Taste is well-balanced with malts alongside the hops. It's a heavily-bodied ale, with a bitter hint at the finish. A lovely and well-rounded American IPA, and maybe better than Victory's Hop Wallop.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

From the second the liquid leaves the bottle, I'm loving the look of this beer: rich copper with a robust, light brown head. Great retention and lacing all around. An initial whiff suggests herbal hops, with a slight pine and citrus aroma as well. A further examination reveals strong roasted malt waiting just underneath. Taking a sip, however, it's the malt that sweeps in at first, covering the palate in a delicious wave of toasty goodness. Almost at the same time, the hops creep in, allowing the bitterness to build in the center and back, while an interesting fruitiness comes in from the sides. Perhaps the best part, though, is the mouthfeel. Medium weight, but not sticky or clawing... maybe a little chewy, it's incredibly smooth yet has just the right amount of carbonation to enhance the beer's individual flavors.

Not my favorite IPA in terms of taste, but beautiful nonetheless. Although my bottle was still "good" (Exp. 8/29), I get the feeling this is one of those beers that really demands to be consumed ASAP; the flavors felt a little muddled, and I felt like the hops needed to stick out more... I don't know what it is about the mouthfeel, but it really struck me for some reason. Overall, a great brew from a brewery that I'll be sure to check out again soon.

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%

This beer has an amber color with a very thin head on it.

The aroma is that if light malt and a piney hop aroma. The hop aroma is not what you would expect at all from a IPA. It is very light compared to most other IPA's.

The taste is that of a strong piney hop flavor and a light malt flavor. The aftertaste has a nice hop bitterness and also picking up a slight alcohol taste.

The mouthfeel is light bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

Overall this was a decent beer. It has a great piney hop flavor to it. The only reason this beer got marked down a little bit is it doesn't have the strong hop aroma you would expect from an IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Beautiful new- penny copper color, thin head, sticky lacing on my tasting snifter. Gorgeous. Fruity hop nose. Melon, citrus. Produce market. Yummy smell overall. Delicious, full maltiness, slightly sweet, very fruity, nice round hop bitterness. Dry finish. Good slightly sticky and bubbly refreshing mouthfeel. All around delicious. Solid 4.5 all around and overall. Victory is becoming one of my favorite brewers up there with Stone and Bells. Their beers never disappoint me.

12oz bottle into a pint glass. Opaque amber body with 2 fingers of bubbly head - not much retention, or lacing. A nice balance in the nose, can pick up some citrus and floral notes as well as some malts. I get the citrus upfront, followed by a bit of malt balance and slightly bitter finish. Not picking up any of the floral though. Medium bodied and kinda creamy for the style. A solid all around IPA, especially when super fresh.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap in Downingtown, PA. Not at the brewery itself, but close enough. Anyway...
Pours a nice copper color with an off white head and some lace rings as it goes down.
Aromas begin with a good amount of pine and floral hops as well as a bit of citrus.
The tastes add some caramel but is mostly pine and floral hops without too much bitterness.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly dry.
Overall it is good, but forgettable in a sea of IPAs which exist in today's market. Good to find on tap amongst the other domestic swill my hotel had on tap.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

good clarity. light effervescence, amber color, great head retention.

smells very hoppy, and a little bit of malty sweet coming through as well. little bit of cirrus and pine from the malts.

the malts and hops are really nicely balanced on the palate. it seems like there is a little bit of caramel sweetness. the hop bitterness and flavor are also nicely balanced, big but balanced. finishes bitter. the hop bitterness here is big. its almost as if what little sweetness there is is a welcomed relief.

medium body and soft. not really too crisp either. lets the hop bitterness linger nicely.

this is a good ipa. aggressive, but welcomed to those who can appreciate such a thing.

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%

Looks perfect. Mounds of off white maybe pretty much light tan head, and has a clear dark copper colored body.

The aroma is spicy hop. Very citrusy but has a strong malty backbone with a caramel sweetness.

Taste wise it is very well balanced. Not necessarily a hop bomb like I was expecting. The hops are upfront with a slight orangish taste, but then a strong malty sweetness kicks in really quickly. The hops do come back in the end to remind you this is a HopDevil.

Feels a little carbonated and a little oily. Not to bad, and is a nice alternative to Two Hearted (which is a great ale too).

3.79/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz bottle
6.7% ABV
I tried this beer on April 15, 2011 at "The Beerbistro" in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The beer pours a hazy golden orange with a 1/2" creamy tan coloured head. The aroma was citrusy hops, pine, and some caramel malt. The mouthfeel was medium bodied, with medium carbonation. The flavour was grapefruit, orange, and caramel with a dry finish.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer Pours and orangish color with a thick white head and good retention. The smell is citrusy grapefruit up from with some resinous pine notes as well. The flavor is pretty similar with citrus and pine notes as well as a nice hop bite. This beer is nice and dry and is one of my top 2 favorite ipas

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle purchased in Moorhead, MN. BB Aug 3, 2011. Poured cool into sleeve.

A: Reddish-orange hued with a nice white head that retains well and beautiful lacing.
S: Sweet toasted malt & booziness plays with earthy hops and a bit of grapefruit rind.
T&M: A thick body that has enough residual sweetness to let the bitterness really creep up on you over time. Hop flavours have hopefully faded a bit, to explain why they are not as prominent here. Some earthy notes along with a toasted malt backbone. No substantial american hop flavours here much to my surprise. Well carbonated & crisp.
O: A very enjoyable beer, lacking in hop flavours but I attribute that to its age...

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

On tap at mellow mushroom in dublin oh. Saw this on tap and had to try it.
Appearance is a hazy orange, with minimal head. Good lacing though.
Smell is not too strong compared to other ipa's. Columbus brewing ipa is much stronger.
Taste is not too bitter, rather smooth for an american ipa which I like. I also prefer bitterness as well but this over is nice.
overall I could definitely get this beer again. I'd like to try it in a bottle to see if there are any differences.

3.67/5  rDev -9.6%

Two finger head, Smell is hoppy, pine-like and not overwhelming. Taste is spicey, with hints of caramel. Full bodied and dry aftertaste. The hoppiness is very strong on the initial taste and there is no letting up from there on. I think the A+ given by "The Bros" is generous. The beer is very good but not A+ good.

3.01/5  rDev -25.9%

Best by jul 17, 2011

A: pours a rusty orange ale with excellent clarity. Single finger peanut foam leans into a thin quilt of the same. Ringed lacing.

S: very malty for an ipa. My initial thoughts are how this reminds me of an ipa Called Indica by Lost Coast IIRC. Rich sweet and caramelly malts are complimented with some ruddy, grassy hops. A hint of aluminum. A little too malty for the style IMO.

T: good bitter pinch up front melts into a spiced malt profile. Fairly interesting. Some tastes of orange peels, hibiscus flower, tea (orange pekoe, room temp). More reminds me of an amped up amber with all the malt action.

M: medium to full bodied for the style. Low carb. Slick finish with a decent resonance.

O: looks good, smells and taste are more like an amber or red ale to me. Can't say I really care for this one.

3.42/5  rDev -15.8%

A: Fake amber orange-ish color.

S: Smells very hoppy, but at the same time it smells like a relative farted in your face.

T: Luckily, it tastes much better than it smells although it is very bitter. Too bitter even for a hophead like myself. Only reason I even drink this beer is because it has the perfect alcohol content at 6.7% abv. The only reason I'm even reviewing this beer is because of the mouthfeel which is came as a real shocker.

M: A real spicy bite to this one. Very bitter but the bite is so fierce that it numbs the tongue enabling one to drink a second one. This is by far the most appealing quality to this beer.

O: If the other aspects of the beer were up to par with the alc. content and the mouthfeel, this beer would be an A+, however, since the mouthfeel is so exceptional I'd have to say this aint such a bad beer overall.

3.94/5  rDev -3%

Visual: One finger loosely packed head that dissipates quickly. Beautiful clear amber color that absolutely glows when you hold it up to the light.

Aroma: Grapefruit, apricot, and I also get a little hint of the smell that most Belgian beers have (not sure what it is called). I’m picking up a hint of bready malt in there as well. Not bad, but not knocking me over with hop aroma either.

Taste: More malt on the front end than what I expected. And really, I don’t pick up very much hops until the finish which comes in with a thin yet harsh wave of bitter. I feel like there is something there that plays to the middle sides of the tongue, however every time I roll it over the sides, it immediately starts to fizz up which distracts from the taste. By the way I pick up a Black Tea aftertaste on the exhale.

Mouth Feel: If I keep this beer running straight down the center of my palette then it feels good, reasonably wet and the taste is just … plain. If I roll it around it fizzes up something terrible and goes really dry; yes more tastes come out but they are overshadowed by the fizziness.

Drink-ability: I could try to extract out and find as much flavor as possible and end up completely disappointed because I can’t get the beer to hit on all cylinders. Either it goes fizzy and dry but tries to present its flavor, or it goes down quick and smooth with only average flavor… certainly nothing impressive enough to live up to its name and label.

Impressions: I’m just not impressed. I think this beer is unbalanced to a point where it can’t live up to its potential. As far as I’m concerned, I have to believe this is a work in progress, and that the brewers are still perfecting the formula. The hops are definitely in there, but they constantly have to fight to be noticed. Yes I would buy it again. Yes I would enjoy it. But I still think something is keeping this beer from living up to its true potential. Maybe it was nearing its end of life... it only has two more days left on its Best By date.

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 12oz bottle with no visible BB date. I acquired some bottles of this a while back - the off-licence that sold them stocks some cheap beer past it's use-by date. This leads me to suspect that the bottles I have are quite old, but they've been stored well and hopefully will have mellowed nicely. I love the hop devil on the label.

Poured into a Delerium Tremens chalice. A rich coppery-amber hue with some floating sediment (I tried to keep it all in the bottle but failed). Good carbonation. Produces an off-white head of thick, creamy foam that lasts for quite a while before reducing to a surface layer. The aroma is intense; a powerful cocktail of malt and aromatic hops. Notes of pine underpinned by sweet, grainy malt and a notable whiff of alcohol.

Tastes of intensely bitter hops with a rich malty backbone. Notes of aromatic pine/resin, sweet malt, brown sugar and hints of roasted grain. Alcohol adds a warming sensation. Mouthfeel is tingly and full-bodied but very astringent; the texture is almost syrupy. Strong bitter aftertaste of pine and malt.

An intense hit of hops - hardly anything brewed in the UK can provide such a sensation. Impressive, with stacks of character. Due to the age of the bottle I wonder if some of the hoppy notes have faded away (esp. citrus), but the bitterness is still overwhelming. Fantastic, and well worth sampling.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

A- Hazy dark hop orange color. Well carbonated. Thin head and no lace.

S- The aroma isn't really working for me. There are hops and all, but there's also a very strong fruit aroma like old tangerines. It still smells promising, but that feature is a bit off-putting.

T- Floral hops as well as tropical hops. Moderate amounts of grapefruit and citrus. Hops deliver a ton of flavor, and a moderate amount of bitterness. There's a lot of sweetness to even it out.

Biscuit and caramel malts make up a considerably large part of the aftertaste. Almost to the point of leaving the hops buried. This one delivers hops and then malts. There's a pretty balanced load out in this.

M- Medium body. Creamy from just the right amount of carbonation. Dry and sticky finish. The drink coats your mouth in no time at all. A tad of alcohol heats things up.

O- An IPA that is definitely leaning towards citrus. It also adds malt for balance, but remains a hop forward IPA. I enjoyed it, but I'll opt for more IPAs with more pine flavor in the future.

Worth checking out.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours clear amber in color with a very creamy 2 finger tan head that faded very slowly and left great foamy lacing; a really good looking beer.

Smells of floral hops, flowers, grapefruit, citrus hops, orange peel, lemon, light brown sugar, wet bread and caramel; very hoppy nose overall, which is sweet and delicious with the right amount of malt and grains to balance it perfectly and still let the citrus hops control the aroma.

Tastes of floral hops, flowers, grapefruit, citrus hops, orange peel, lemon, mango, tangerine, brown sugar, pepper, spices like coriander, toasted grains, Coke, and caramel or syrup; the hop spices are dominant, but as I said before there are enough malts and grains in the mix to balance it out perfectly. A really great tasting beer that hides the alcohol well and lets just enough spice run wild to make this an extra bold IPA.

Mouthfeel is creamy and oily slick with medium carbonation, a medium body and an overall feel that is hoppy with some alcohol bite. A really nice beer, that's fruity, hoppy and really easy to drink for an IPA. High drinkability for a beer of this caliber, this is a high recommendation.

HopDevil India Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown