HopDevil India Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Ratings: 7,440 |  Reviews: 2,559
3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

Reviewed from notes; originally consumed 5/06/10.

A-Pours a clear reddish amber with a two finger, eggshell head.

S-Caramel and bready malt notes with herbal and floral hops.

T-Piney, herbal bitter hop notes upfront with some bready malt and spicy, bitter finish.

M-It's on the light end of medium bodied with high carbonation.

D-Wasn't really a huge fan of this one. The hops just weren't to my taste, and I like my IPA's a little less carbonated.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

This ale poured a nice golden copper color with near perfect clarity. There was an ample two fingers of fine whitish colored foam for a head which also left nice lacing on the walls of my pint glass.

The aroma was of sweet fr;uit, bubble gum and pine.

The flavor was a beautiful balance of bitter hops and sweet malt with background notes of grapefruit and orange blossom.

The mouthfeel was rich and full on my palate but not overbearing.

Drinkability is very good considering the abv and boldness of flavor. All-in-all, a very desirable American IPA.

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours an amber copper color with what is initially a 3 cm. frothy off-white head. After a few moments, it drops to a thin film. A modest amount of sticky lace forms on the side of the glass.

Smell: Strong grapefruit hops provide the primary aroma. Bready malt and spicy notes in the background.

Taste: Very hoppy from the start. A tasty blend of citrus hops with a softer caramel sweetness behind it. Grapefruit, orange peel, with some unplaced spiciness as well. Hoppy, but relatively well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Fairly creamy feel for an IPA, with a great smoothness. Bubbly carbonation raises the hop oil off the tongue a bit, suspending the flavors in my mouth.

Drinkability: Tough to complain with a few of these in front of me. Smooth, classic taste. There is always room in my fridge for a balanced IPA.

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Carmel-colored in appearance. Effervescent but not overly so. I'd think a shitty beer would bubble up too fast and lose its carbonation. Head is sustained for a decent amount of time. Lacing strong even in just the head.

S: Light and hoppy, but I think maybe my glass smells a bit wierd. Its been in my fridge for a while.

T: It would be a nice beer to pair with some kind of food. Some pasta or salad I think. It doesn't have the bite I like in a strong IPA, but solid nonetheless.

M: Balanced. Doesn't really blow up in your mouth like champagne, but keeps its bubbly for a while and is fun to strain over the tongue. I like this about it quite a bit. I think it's the strongest point about this beer.

D: Yeah, it's really good. It's a fine beer and I wouldn't mind making it a staple of my fridge if I wasn't so into variety. I'd think of it as a good average or median of what an IPA should be for the beer uninitiated. I actually had a person drink this along with Victory's Golden Monkey to see where they stood on the malt/hops scale. Turns out he didn't like either, but I think this was actually a good way to find out. Yumm yumm

4.36/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Clear copper with small off-white head, which fades to the edge of the glass but does leave some lacing.

S - Faint citrus hop aroma.

T - Outstanding. One of the best balanced American IPAs I've had. They don't try too hard on the hop bitterness, but it is subtle and lasting, mingling well with the malt back that is present but I wouldn't call sweet. With a subtle hop bitterness and aroma, it seems like they really punched it up on the flavor hops.

M - Nice medium body and soft carbonation.

D - Very refreshing. I had to pace myself because it was going down so easily.

Thank God there's an American IPA out there that doesn't feel the need to kill you with bittering hops. Not that it's bad, it's just a nice change of pace. Very, very flavorful. I guess my only complaint is the very faint hop aroma.

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a bottle into a Chimay goblet

A- pours amber with a paper thin head...too thin to even get a color. Fades quickly. No lacing. Dark for an IPA

S- mild, not very strong at all...faint aroma of citric hops. I'm not getting a lot though...

T- not nearly as flavorful as other IPAs I've had...but it grows on you pretty decently. Citric hops with a bite of pine near the end. It tastes like an IPA should, albeit it a lot more mild.

M- its not too heavy like some IPAs can be. Just the right amount of body...doesn't feel like you're drinking a cold glass of water, but doesn't have that thickness you're liable to get from a heavier IPA

D- pretty drinkable. Really could on a nice hot day where you're just looking to relax. I can imagine this would be great while cooking out

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

A: Pours a rich copper orange color with a tiny bit of sediment that makes it slightly hazy. Minimal khaki colored head that dies off pretty quick. Awesome small bubble lacing is left behind.

S: Mainly pine hops and a touch of biscuit malt. It does have an odd soapy/spice smell to it.

T: Lots of bitter pine hops, no citrus or fruity hop taste at all. A touch of bread malt. Again, I'm getting an odd soapy taste, even more so then the smell that is off putting. One dimensional, no depth of flavor.

M/D: Medium body with moderate carbonation. Other than that nothing special. Drinkability is average at best because of the soap factor. Not sure what is causing this...Its not old, best by date of August 8th, 2010.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from a bottle (enjoy by June 16, 2010) into my Brooklyn Brewery pint glass

A: Pours a nice amber color with a moderate head that diminishes into a sticky rim around the glass. Overall decent, but not great lacing down the glass.

S: Smells of floral and spicy hops and some sweet malts.

T: Taste is an amalgamation of sweet and bitter hops that are somewhat spicy and herbal and open up into lemon rind, and a nice bready malt backbone. There is a mild soapiness component to the otherwise perfect finish.

MF: Average mouthfeel with kind of a long finish.

D: A very refreshing beer, but I must say that I think it is overrated. To that end I think that this is a very good beer and a good IPA, but it doesn't exhibit the particular qualities that I look for in an award-winning IPA.

However this was amazing with a spicy stir-fry, the alcohol was completely hidden, and I definitely sessioned this devil.

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip. Best by Jun21, 2010, B4.

Appearance: Free pour yields a half inch, frothy, off-white head that dissipates quickly, leaving (like the beer itself) no lacing. Pours translucent amber.

Smell: Very weak smell of possibly grassy hops and some malt. As the beer warms, a small amount of fruity sweetness comes out, but I still need to try hard to smell the beer.

Taste: First sip: overall impression is that this is a very bready IPA, with tons of bitterness and not much hop flavor. The giant malt backbone and over the top bitterness are the dominant notes throughout. The flavor is inadequately hoppy (it's *almost* grassy and *maybe* piny), and boring... but not unpleasant. As liquid bread that's more bitter than most DIPAs, it works. I've had far worse tasting IPAs.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and rather carbonated. The crazy bitterness and carbonation make the feel quite substantial.

Drinkability: While unremarkable, the beer is quite refreshing. I don't taste the alcohol at all, and the malt flavor is nice. I like the absurd amount of bitterness. I wonder if that's what tasting any IPA for the first time is like (I don't remember).

Like most beers I've had from Victory, this one is solid, but not the kind of beer that would win someone over to a style. Or to put it more practically, not the kind of beer I'd particularly want to buy again (I found myself mysteriously craving another HopDevil after my first last night, but I would have been even more satisfied by an outstanding (D)IPA than another HopDevil). Hopefully Wild Devil or Hop Wallop will change my mind. I have to admit that I'm morbidly curious about Hop Wallop, since the bitterness level of HopDevil was so silly (I don't know what drinking a pint of hop extract is like, but I have some suspicions now). Unfortunately, I suspect that the beer was less bitter than it was *not flavorful enough*. You don't mind the assault when it brings flavor with it.

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Found this in San Diego and was excited to try it after not having easy access to Victory beers in the Bay Area. Pint glass pour and I am met with a copper colored ale with a bubbly foamy head which stays throughout the session and produces a ton of lacing. The aroma is a major malt bomb. Bready, doughy almost a skunky beer smell. I wasn't really impressed with the taste. I was expecting a major hop explosion but it was not to be. Subdued hops are present with a lot of maltiness going on. There is an odd aftertaste which is present far too long. It wasn't an overall difficult beer to consume, but multiples were not in the cards for me...though I'm sure it would be for many others. Just didn't dig it that much unfortunately.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Chestnut brownish color with about 2/3 in of tan head when poured into a pint glass. The head was very thick and stayed at about 1/4 inch while leaving a nice lacy trail along the back-inside of the glass

S: Lots going on here, some red berry and cherry scents, along with something like apple cider and honey

T: I'm surprised by the taste, not as much fruit as the smell, much more woodsey and herbal. There is a nice bitterness and citrus quality to it also. The bitterness stays on the palate for a while

M: Medium bodied, with moderate carbonation

D: Goes down very smooth and is quite tasty, although the high hops and bitterness may wear out the palate after a couple bottles.

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Reading all of these rave reviews, I'm wondering if the very hoppy beer I had before this one affected my taste. I was underwhelmed. Had this @ the Parkside Tavern in Baltimore.
appearance: minimum head, almost no lacing. The hops were there and it's very smooth but expected much more, given the name and the previous reviews. Will try again to see if I just had an "off experience."

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

very bold hoppy and smooth all around a damn good beer. this is the beer that got me into good beer. for me it's a classic. It always has a damn good color and body. Hoppy and bitter. I first took a chance on it outside of Pittsburgh at a random dive bar, hollywood gardens in rochester twp. One drink and i could never go back to drinking shitty lagers. Little did i know that this was just a start to the many great beers I have drinken since.

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

with the high rating this beer had, i was expecting to be blown away, but I am slightly indifferent

very carbonated, huge head, heavy lacing... clear amber color on the darkish side

pretty strong smell, fruity with some malt hints and a tad of alcohol

the hops are definitely there, but they seem to be lacking strength and bitterness and are almost overpowered by the malts... i dont get that bitter hop taste left in my mouth that i like from an ipa

with that said, i suppose this is a well drinkable beer

overall this beer isnt bad at all, great appearance and the taste isnt bad by any means, it just isnt my style of ipa... i'd almost consider it more of a hoppy amber/pale ale

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

A - It had an amber-like color with a soapy head. The head dissipated pretty quickly but it left a pretty nice lacing.

S - Very hoppy. Obvious earthy and grapefruit tones. Malt tones were also pretty obvious.

T - Excellent IPA. There was a bit of a bread-like taste to it. Very nice and slightly tangy.

M - Tangy yet refreshing. Pretty smooth taste

D - For an IPA it is pretty sessionable. I had two kicked back pretty quickly before I knew it.

I had this up in North Conway. I must say Delaney's Hole in the Wall surprised me with this brew. I picked it at random and I wasn't disappointed. Worth a ride.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

poured from bottle into an Ithaca pint glass

A- pours a reddish amber with insane carbonation rushing up the glass. The head is huge, yet it recedes with a slight presence of lacing remaining

S- spiced earthy tones are first. Next is grapefriut and mangos on the senses. The brew smells promising.... no doubt

T- citrus tones are there in the beginning. A malty taste really jumps that theme though. There is some bitterness that brings you back to the citrus taste. It really is a good IPA experience as far as the taste goes. At the end... an herbal feel remains

M- medium body that has carbonation all over the tongue. Really strong presence

D- this is a good Am IPA. It is strong with the alcohol... however the character of this brew makes an memorable IPA. The brew exhibits that east coast IPA that many seek. I highly recommend grabbing this beer

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Deep copper with about a one-finger off-white head. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Strong hops are foremost, but a darker malt tone is also noticeable.

Taste: Easily lives up to the 'HopDevil' name, as hops are what dominate the flavor. It might have been a wise move on the part of Victory not to make this stronger alcohol-wise, because it's quite potent already because of taste alone. This beer accomplishes balance while also showcasing a specific element, something many others do not. As the bitter hops occupy most of the palate, there is yet that undercurrent of malt I mentioned when describing the scent. If one holds the liquid on the front part of the tongue, the malts are easily taste-able, revealing a very subtle sweetness; as the beer moves towards the back of the tongue, the hops assert themselves powerfully.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Actually, I don't really know what to say about this part, because the flavor is so distracting. (No, that's not a problem.)

Drinkability: I seem to recall drinking these in succession; right now, I only have this one, so I can't see how many I can drink. But I would drink more than one a night, yes.

For all you hop-heads: bottoms up! HopDevil is an absolute winner.

3.32/5  rDev -18.2%

A: Pours a very dark amber, very clear with minimal head and decent lacing.

S: lots of malt with a hint of hops

T: first taste was very malty, sweet and bready... to me this tastes like a slightly hoppy Fat Tire. If that's what you're into this is probably great but I prefer more dry hopped taste.

M: Feel is good, a bit oily and creamy with some good carbonation to hop balance. Probably the best aspect of this brew IMO.

D: Not sure I could down much more than one or two of these, very heavy and malty.

Caveat: I do prefer more hop forward beers and less malt so if you prefer a good balanced beer you might enjoy this one. I'd say give it a try and see for yourself!

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

This is a GREAT IPA. Well balanced but enough bitterness to be true to style. Pine and Spice on the nose with a little bit of caramely maltiness so you know its going to be balanced.

Taste is extremely balanced and even oddly has some toasted caramel notes to it that were really nice.

It got better as it warmed too which to me is a sign of a great beer.

I went back for a six pack of this

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

Updated Review June 28, 2011.
12oz bottled June 10, 2011. Very fresh. Noticed my previous review was on an older bottle and jumped on this fresh batch that just came in.

Pours clear amber with a two finger light beige head that leaves rings of clumpy lacing and holds a small cap.

Aroma is herbal, earthy, floral hops, some pine and grass, a bit dank, touch of peach, good bread, toast and caramel malt component as well. Very good strength.

Flavor is resinous hops, some pine and a bit of citrus and fruit, fair caramel and bready malt backbone offering a touch of sweetness, finishes with very strong bitterness and a bit of spice. Minimal alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, good carbonation.

Very fresh and very tasty IPA. Darker and with a bit more malt backbone than others, but that doesn’t hold back the strong bitterness which I love. Will keep an eye out for fresh batches in the future!

--- --- --- --- ---

Original Review April 21, 2010.
12oz bottle, best by Jun 15, 2010. Pours clear copper amber with a two finger light beige head that leaves some clumpy lacing at the top of the glass and reduces to a small wispy cap. Aroma is heavy on floral hops, some citrus, pine, a little bread and caramel malt. Moderate strength. Flavor is bitter resinous, floral, pine hops with some caramel malt sweetness mixed in. Finishes long and bitter. Mouthfeel is slick, soft carbonation. Good, but nothing really special going on here...

Aroma 3.5, Appearance 3.5, Taste 3.5, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.5, Score 3.5

4.19/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Got a few of these tonight and thought it a good chance to review them. The 12 pack is a mixer and marked best by April 02, 2010. The beer seems really no worse for the wear. I choose the standard belled beer glass for the tasting and emptied the 12 oz bottle therein.

The beer is rather amber in appearance and the head is tan in color. The head is not really thick and leaves just a bit of lacing.

Smells are rather standard IPA fare, but cleaner. I like the malts and there is little roasted or burnt taste which is really off-putting in an IPA. I am pleased with the hop profile here, it is unencumbered, full and bright.

Tasting this beer is a joy. It takes me back to a time before all IPAs tasted of too many and too much hops. Here we are not overburdened by quantity but blessed by quality. The grain bill is clearly designed to accentuate the hops. I am impressed.

Mouthfeel is medium-full. More than a good pilsner but less than a good bitter, it accentuates the taste and makes for a more drinkable beer than it would otherwise be.

Drinkability is good, and better than most of the IPAs I have had but not stellar because the style is built for staying power and not drinkability.

This is a great American IPA. Stone builds one with as much integrity but few others can lay claim to such an achievement. If you find yourself in Colorado, go to Paonia and get a SEIPA, it is another great example but very hard to get.

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz bottle.

Appearance: Dark orange golden color. Fairly short lived white head with some spotty lacing.

Smell: Citrus hops, caramel malt, and a grainy aroma.

Taste: Bitter grapefruit and orange peel hops are right up front and balance is attempted and failed by a caramel malt sweetness. The graininess in the aroma is tasted on the finish and is just slightly astringent-- not really much of a detractor, but noticed. Bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Appropriate carbonation and the expected mouthfeel for this type of IPA. Slight resiny coating is left behind.

Drinkability: This is a good bitter-hoppy IPA with strong bitter citrus flavor. I could do without the husky grain flavor.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Rich and dark, with a shine of copper and tint of gold.

S: Spicy and intriguing. Notes of grapefruit, and citrus.

T: While not being a total hop nut, I do enjoy the occasional walk on the wildside, and this was certainly a step in that direction, and while I prefer it on tap, it definitely kept the punch and salty, hoppy, citrus goodness.

M: Wonderful smooth, and easy drinking.

D: Absolutely, a hop heads dream, but also complex enough to draw in non-hop fans to the realm of "hoppiness" definitely will have again.

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance: Pours clear amber with a white one finger head, leaves some lace.

Smell: A subdued light citrus with a malty sweetness back. There is a bit of some clean lemon like flavor, very subtle but definitely there.

Taste: Spices come right to the forefront with a orange/mango nectar hop presence underlying. This is what a traditional american IPA should be, hoppy without 10000 ibu's and 10 pounds of fresh cascade in every glass. This beer has a slight bitter end with a nice tangyness throughout the whole sip.

Mouthfeel: Sticky but crisp and wipes clean quickly, that tangyness defeats the bitterness so the mouth is left relatively dry between sips.

Drinkability: Great beer that keeps it's IPAness in check and allows this beer to be a sit back and relax type beer rather than an enamel ripper. Very nice and excellently balanced brew.

4.11/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass. Best Before Date: 06/21/10

Pours a slightly hazy copper color with reddish tints. Moderate off-white head with minimal retention. Leaves a patchy white lace on the walls of the glass.

Smell is rather subdued, mostly a grapefruit hop presence. Really not too much going on.

Taste really lets the hops come through, mostly citrus but also a bit grassy and flowery. Slight hints of the malt come through, somewhat toasted and caramel flavors.

Very creamy on the mouth and a solid body. Overall a solid IPA, and would always be a great choice.

HopDevil India Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown