HopDevil India Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Ratings: 7,441 |  Reviews: 2,559
3.42/5  rDev -15.8%

With all the hype about this beer I decided to give it a try....

The pour revealed great head retention with generous amounts of foamy white lace.It had a smell of hops with a bitter touch.The smell also had a "copper" smell to it.It had a full body with a dark cherry red color.Very silky and smooth with a good mouthfeel.The finish was very dry with a long bitter grapefruity aftertaste.The overall taste didnt impress me.Other than the appearance I dont see what all the hype is about.Way too bitter needs more balance.This beer is way to overrated! I would not buy or drink this again.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

I have heard so much about the vaunted HopDevil, that I knew that I must make a foray into hop hell. But after trying it, I'm thinking this is closer to heaven.

Pours a slightly orange copper, with a persistent white head that leaves rings of lace. Aroma is very fruity... orange rind, grapefruit, carmel... with some floral notes. Flavor begins with some caramel, and finishes with a somewhat acidic grapefruit... and a fair amount of bitterness... although it's nicely balanced by the malt. Somewhat prickly with a medium body. I can see why this one is highly regarded! A great beer for the hophead.

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

A facetious hop leaf label resplendent with a bitter green evil wry smile affronts the obverse of the Bottle label. Good vs Evil Maybe.
Pours an iridescent, deep amber, anti-religious color, with copper clad spikes. Is it Easter? If not. The uprising in this beer is way too early, Easter is 4 months away so put that rock back. The head is a light tan frothy number nailed to the head that collapses slowly but surely. Leaves a frothy, but smooth looking voluminous rocky head that smatters its entrails on the glass sides. The Romans would have loved that. A fresh hoppy aroma introduces a green hop bitterness that clubs the cheeks. Mouthfeel is solid. I Think this beer is AReligious, thank goodness, because so am I. Nail this beer to the wall, saturate its open wounds in Malt Vinegar, spear its heart, and then profess your undying love for something that you never believed in. Oh dear, now I am being sarcastic. So lets be serious. Hopsheads will love this evil offering.
OK, so you're expecting a Biblical comment right?
Well I’m an Athiest, so this will have to do;

The Devil walks into a crowded bar. Within seconds the bar emptied with people running out screaming all over the place, all except for one old man leaned over the bar drinking Victory Hopdevil.
The Devil wanders across to the old man and says "Do you know who I am?"
The old man took another sip of his beer and answered "Yep"
The Devil stared at the old man and asked "Well, aren't you afraid of me?"
The old boy looks the Devil up and down for a minute and shrugs "I married your sister 40 years ago, why the hell should I be scared of you?"

The Old Man is me, well, maybe - one day.

Hop Devil Ale – What can I say, I think Pontious Pilot drank this beer before he was “Paid”, I am sure. Well at least before he was enticed to invest in Enron.

As a Hop-Head : I will be buying more of this offering that's for sure, for I am sure I will definitely not be going to Heaven.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Deep copper, amber in color, with a thinnish, smooth off white head. Decent lace down the glass. Nose is hoppy and citric. Flavor starts off caramel sweet, with a strong, fairly rough hop flavor throughout. Hops lend a good blend of citric and floral flavors to the brew, with spicy and acidic notes present throughout. Well-carbonated, but fairly creamy in body, with a medium-light mouthfeel and a dry finish. Nice hop aftertaste. Overall a good IPA, though I probably wouldn't rank it top #10. Seems a bit one dimensional compared to, say, Stone's Ruination.

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

I've had this both bottle and tap. I have equally enjoyed both but found the bottle to be fresher, more likely than not a serving issue on the establishment with the tap.

Clear dark amber fluid pours out a nice head. Hop aroma hits the nose like a boxer going in for the kill caramel backs it up. Bitterly and menacingly flavorful, more hops than a gaggle of rabbits. I don't know of another beer that is more possessed by the hop spirit than this one. Dry bitter but thick full body that maintains as well ‘till the end.

Hoptopia for the hop heads.

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light amber color, slightly hazy, with an off-white foamy head, that turns into a thin layer, and laves nice lace. Aroma is all hops, floral and citrus. Medium bodied with a nice, smooth mouthfeel. Taste is very much like the aroma. Lots of hop flavor, citrus, grapefruit, and floral tastes. Malt is somewhere in the backround. Different hop flavors along with the toasted malt in the backround make this a nice balance of flavor, and not a shocking hop bitterness. Finishes slightly bitter with some spiciness. A very good IPA. Sit back and enjoy!

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance: Pours a beautiful orange/reddish color with great clarity. A good-sized head stays pretty well and has a nice sheeting effect down the side of the glass.

Smell: Cascade hops and all the wonderful scents that come with them: pine, grapefruit, citrus... A touch of sweet malt too. Great aroma!

Taste: A skillful balance of sweet malt and hop bitterness and flavor. The cascade hops certainly make themself known. Lots of pine, grapefruit, a touch of pineapple, a bit of a flowery taste, and a bitterness that finishes out strong. I pick up on a touch of toffee throughout as well. Nice balance.

Mouthfeel: Very soft and rounded, with a smooth, medium thickness.

Drinkability: Good. Some American Pale Ales knock you over with hops...this one has just as much as the next one, but in a beautiful balance with the malt flavors.

Not a huge hop fan as of yet, but slowly becoming one. This beer poured into the glass a bright amber/copper color. There were slight bubbles as you peered into the glass. The head seemed quiet thick and white. The lace clinged to the sides dragging the whole way down. The aroma was dominated by the hops. There were hints of citrus and sweet malt as well. The taste was big. Much like the aroma the hoppy taste was present. But through the hops you notice slight fruit like grapefruit. You also notice hints of a toasted malt. A good beer, a bit strong if you are just starting to review hoppy beers, but I would come back, and try more.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bright copper color, nice thick head, clings to the glass. Aroma of citrus and pine resin. This IPA is very balanced malty with a great hop bite, I like to keep a supply of this awesome brew.

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful clear copper color, with a big white head that a bit of lace on the glass. Aroma is all citrusy grapefruit hops with just a bit of a dry grass to it. The flavor is very nice lots of grapefruity hop citrus up front, some husk flavors and the slightest toasty malt hiding in the background. Clean crisp drying hop finish. Slick smooth mouthfeel with a mild carbonation makes this a very drinkable beer that leaves you wanting another. Thanks to NeroFiddled for providing this as part of a beer trade.

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

After properly aquiring a taste for this beer, I needed to re-review this. It's like, the BOMB baby! I can't really do it justice by writing about it but I'm doing it anyway. It's very hopppy and bold. The hops quite obviously dominate, but a subtle yet noticeable spicy-sweetness is also pretty big on ye olde palate. It took me a few of these to realize how great it was,and your macro drinking ass may need to develop a taste for this as well. Impeccably brewed and unbelievably delicious, HopDevil is the beer you should be drinking.

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Copper, amberish color with a light tan head. Huge grapefruity citrus hop aroma ! Hop flavors are very high with an assertive hop bitterness. Medium bodied (leans light) and smooth. I tasted little malt character but this beer was not overly bitter to me since the hop character is so citrusy pleasant.

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

I've had Hop Devil numerous times in the bottle but never on cask. It's a different animal altogether. Even poured a lighter copper than the bottled version. Nose was of subtle hops but not overpowering and the head was a perfect white, dense, creamy wonder that stuck to the glass leaving tons of lace.
The taste at cask temperature seemed softer and more sophisticated. The hops were still featured but with more nuance and complexity. The firm malt background folded into the rounded citric character of the hops moreso than the bottled version. It was definitely like drinking a different beer with both being outstanding. The bottle version is an in your face hophead's delight while the cask was it's more profound cousin.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

A hopheads delight! Poured a very dark coppery color with a nice head and decent lace as you drank it. Definant hoppy aroma but not overly so, just right IMO. Had a great but powerful hoppy taste but also smoothed out on the tongue with a nice malt taste. I would drink this beer over and over again...............CHEERS

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

This beer lasts a *long* time.

I got to a 20-count at times.

Fills your mouth.

But not very heavy.

I had seen it before. Nice packaging, Tried it because I saw it on this site.

I will buy it again.

Adding to the review eight months later: I have bought this beer several times since my original review, and I continue to find it a good change of pace. It is a very full beer, you have to pay attention when you drink it, but it's worth the attention.

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

Wow! The hops just explode on the palate. Lovely reddish brown color. Nice creamy head but doesn't last long. Leaves a decent lace. I love the pungent hoppy aroma and the faint citrusy notes. Exceptional finish, you get a nice hop burn long after the last sip has gone down. One of the 5 best American Pale Ales I have ever had. Oddly, it's not that easy to find in neighboring Ohio. I hope I can track down Victory's other offerings.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Originally, I did not want to review this ale, as everyone before me has done an excellent job. But with a screen name like mine, I thought I must. Cloudy, amber color, which in my opinion is the true color of beer. The head is white, frothy and lasts throughout the pint. The lace rings a perfectly spaced layer until the bottom. Your first smell is pure heaven, as there is no better aroma then that of hops. Strong but not overwhealming. The taste is so well balanced you don't know which comes first, though I know it's the hops. Nice malt taste is there, mellow, bringing up the rear as it were, again balancing the hops. Don't let the name fool you, it's hoppy, but not to the point where you are scraping your tongue. Absolutely one of my favorite beers, and a standard in the fridge all year, especially in the summer.

Two words to describe Hopdevil COMPLEX yet BALANCED!
Its hard for me to give a perfect rating, but this beer really does have it all. Its a rollercoaster ride for your tastebuds. Victory does not over hop this IPA to make a name for themselves, (ex. 90minuteIPA or Ruination) they just made the perfect beer.

4.77/5  rDev +17.5%

The appearance is amber with a nice head and lacing. The beers smells sweet with hops and a hint of the malt. The initial taste is strong with the hops, but the overall beer takes away most of the shock. Although I am a hophead and it may shock people who do not enjoy strong hops flavor. The taste, as I said, is hoppy, but some sweet additions seem to tone it down. The beer is very drinkable and I was glad I was in Philly this weekend to try it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear amber with a fluffy off-white head.

The smell is bold and a little fruity. It has an under-tone of blackberry jam and an over-tone of citrus.

It provides a medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

The taste is hoppy and the malt is there but takes the backseat in this brew. I can taste fresh citrus and it provides a medium to medium-high bitterness with a slightly dry finish. There is none of the berries in the taste, but has a mellow. little sweet and smooth feel to it.

Not for the faint of heart or macro-drinker, this brew is great for good-beer-lovers that want a little edge and have a thing for layered tastes of hops.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

My beer buddy and I picked a couple of these beers up at D's Six Pack and Hotdog in Regent Square, PA. We found that that beverage starts off with a ruby brown color that lasts throught the glass. The head dies quickly, but lace remains around the edge the whole way down. The hops are dominating in the aftertaste, but do not overwhelm the beer. This IPA leaves a tangy aftertaste, which is almost similiar to a grapefruit. On a side note, the carbination in this beer is barely noticable. It still dances on ones tonge, but either of us have felt the urge to burb while enjoying this quality IPA. We will contine to taste test beers and report throught the night.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just finished a sixer of this brew, and I liked it more as each bottle went down. I like hoppy beers, but not really to the point where I consider myself a hophead. At first the hops are a little shocking (even though you have to expect them from a beer called HopDevil), but once you get over the initial pop this turns out to be a fairly balanced beer. This is exactly what a great beer should be: Interesting flavor that has such depth that you discover something new each time you try it. And keeps you looking forward to the next one.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

This is an excellent IPA..right up there with, but not better than, Bell's Two Hearted Ale....It pours a rich, deep copper with a litte white lace..the nose is a wondefull mix of floral and spicy hops...the taste is bitter grapefruit style hops along with some decent malt to balance...I'd love to see the bittering units on this as it is very high I'm sure...but at the same time it is relatively balanced....Definitely west coast style..some great hop flavor to this....a very good/borderline great IPA...I love this Brewery...they rock!!!

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Absolutely beautiful, full rich copper-red color. Nice head that stuck around through most of the glass. Nose is not as hoppy as I expected from an American IPA, let alone one called Hop Devil. There is a significant sweet malty note on the nose as well. Beautifully integrated on the palate - impeccable balance. The bitterness is more prominent on the palate than on the nose and contributes significantly to a very long finish. Disappears quickly. Top notch American IPA. A touch more hop on the nose, and it would seriously challenge Bell's Two-Hearted Ale as my favorite within the style.

4.02/5  rDev -1%

Maybe I'm an underdog kind of guy, but this didn't please me as much as I had hoped, not that it's not a good beer, because it is, but I'm not sure that it's astoundingly better than several others that can be found. Hop aroma,with a soft citrus element, backed with other hop qualities (like mild grassiness). Thin to medium head with medium length. Clear amber to copper color. Hops through and through, although not explosive and they tend to be stronger in the middle to finish with a long lingering pleasing bitterness to close. Malt offers some balancing. Softer mouthfeel in both body and carbonation, although adequate carbonation noted.
I'd like to try one of Nero's cask conditioned versions.

HopDevil India Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown