Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

HopDevil India Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Ratings: 7,405 |  Reviews: 2,554
3.53/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Love the hops! Looked good, poured nicely and the first taste was great - nice and dry. But it had a funny finish - a little too fruity for our taste. But for a bottled IPA, not too bad.

2.31/5  rDev -43.1%

Ouch! Hop Devil deilivers, as promised. There's definitely a time and place for beers like this. Hopefully, I'll find one or the other, so that my tongue didn't writhe in vain.

"Would you like some malt to go with those hops?"

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Hop Devil: cask conditioned: thick dense head, very long lasting. Deep reddish color, with slight Belgian lace. The cellar temperature really brings out the hops, but also lets the undercurrent of malt sweetness to present itself, especially in the aftertaste. Excellent taste, presentation and beer.

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

One of my favorites. Great tasting and well balance of hop's and malt's. It has the right balance of sweetness/bitterness. This would be a great beer to introduce to your friends. For the price, very good friends. It was well balanced in a sweet/tartness that I liked. A very complex beer with loads of fruit and flavor!

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

About as good as an IPA gets! Not too strong on the alcohol that it takes away from the ale, but a couple of these will do for a night. Victory is a solid brewery.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

This is by far one of the best IPA's that I have had. A small head with a cloudy appearance made it great to look at. A nice balance of bitter and sweet made it great to drink.
I wonder if it is this good in the bottle?

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

This is THE ultimate session brew. As a hophead, I am in love with this beer. I like the Wallop more overall, but I could drink these for the rest of eternity. The hops are combined perfectly with everything else in this tasty brew. So well balanced. Crisp maltiness, fruity, hoppy, yeah. Smooth initially, and finishes with some killer hops at the end. Looks very nice...a cloudy amber, almost orange. Not the best tasting beer I've ever had, but arguably the best overall beer there is.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I do not consider myself a hop man at all, but this brew was a very pleasant experience. The beer is orange, almost amber in color with a very hoppy nose. While very hoppy and bitter, the beer still had some nice malt sweetness to it which was a pleasant surprise. Fairly complex IMO and I enjoyed every sip. A great beer indeed.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

I had to try this beer due to it's massive following in BA. I do love hops, so I knew I would love this beer. Almost like a red beer, hops beyond belief that never seemed to let up at any time. However, it was very easy to drink. I was not dissapointed.

4.95/5  rDev +21.9%

Just tried my first Hop Devil and, boy, was I impressed. These guys really know what they're doing and they are a hopheads dream come true. Incredible hop aromas and flavour...enough to satifsy even the most virulent hopead.

4.97/5  rDev +22.4%

As my beer knowledge grows, I have found that I have gone from a newbie a few years ago who would cringe at the taste of hops to a seasoned pro, who craves a hoppy beer. I compared this to my beloved Bell's Bell's Two Hearted and found it to be just as good, excellent even. Pours out to a beautiful copper, with a slight head. Taste and smell is that of grapfruit and other citrus. The hop taste is fantastic, but doesn't overwhelm the beer. I believe this is due to my palate digging hops, someone who is new to beer would probably make a face. Unlike one of the other reviewers who said they probably could only have one or two, I believe this could be a session quaffer. It went down that easy. I still give Bell's a slight nod over Victory ONLY because Victory isn't available in Michigan and Bell's cloudy, golden give it just a slight appearance grade higher. But, if this beer were available here...it'd be a tie.

A big thanks to pbrian for sending this my way!

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Sampled: 12 oz. bottle, in pint glass. Beautifully coppery color that screams "DRINK ME!!"

Aroma: Intensely florally hoppy. Starts out with a hop hit that would normally have me saying "Uh-oh..." and reaching for a grapefruit knife. But it remains in balance - the Cascade hops just are there, pronounced, throughout the swallow. The background flavors that peek through are bitterness and a rounded caramel maltiness.

If you were to graph the flavor profile of this beer, it'd be a straight line - no switchover between hoppiness and maltiness, bitterness and sweetness. It retains its predominantly floral hop flavor throughout at about the same degree of hop-malt balance. A very nice American IPA.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Rerate 9/14/02: Had some great hoppy beers since this and it's sad to say but I have to drop my rating a bit. Not quite as floral as I remembered. More pine aroma and flavor. Nice appeareance, amber with decent head. Nice sweet malt really balances the hops. Just not the great earth-shattering experience I remember after Terrapin Rye PA and Stone's IPAs.

5/6/02: I have to admit that this beer surprised me. I'm usually kind of iffy on IPAs and other hoppy beers, but I really liked this one. The aroma is very floral/perfumy. The taste is definitely hoppy, but not so bitter as to overwhelm the rest of the flavors in the beer. My fiancee described it as like drinking perfume, and it did have a powerful floral quality to it. I really enjoyed this beer, but I'm not sure if I could drink more than one or two in a sitting.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Sierra who? I finally got my hands on a sixer of Hop Devil and will be going back for more. The hops are definitely there, but they're not overwhelming. The color and head are more or less typical for an IPA, but the taste is really remarkable. I only wish more places on the west coast stocked it. I'm an instant fan.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Holy Hops! Wonderful beer. After a few, I need to change to something else (the hops are very intense!!!), but the first two or three are amazing.

4.39/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Forcefully hoppy, but very well balanced. As often as I've had this beer, it always seems to suprise me. I've seen this beer convert many friends into hop-heads. Simply wonderful!

Pours a deep copper color with a slight head. Nice pungent/oily/flowery mix in the aroma. This is a decent brew. Pretty solid caramel malt backing. Good hop flavor, but again, I'd prefer more bitterness. Easy drinking for an IPA. There's no signature taste here that really stands out. This is another IPA that everybody else seems to die for and I just think it is plain good, but not great.

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

It seems the folks at Victory have perfected mouthfeel. This brew is muy smooth. Loaded with hops and a rich malt spine, HopDevil is a world class beer.

Cheers to frank4sail for the sample.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Clear ruby red amber, great color. Head is small with a trace of of thin foam after 40 seconds, upwelling occasional bubbles. Citrusy sweet aroma. Very nice hop bite, grapefruit including some bitter rind flavors. Malts are clearly in the background. Hops are pronounced but not overbearing, settles to a mild bitterness at the back of the mouth with just a touch of sweetness. Refreshing. Probably my favorite American I.P.A. to date.

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

The hop devil lives up to the hype. Nice red-amber color, darker than I expected. Very big hoppy nose. Nice easy taste, lingered on the tongue.Big spice flavor, florals, hops, is there cinnamon in there ? It sure tasted like it to me. Strong bitterness at the end wakes you up and demands another taste. A proven winner and worth the wait. I have been trying to get it in Florida for a while.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

The quintessential IPA in my book. Heavy hops create a very spicy, qrapefuity beer. If I had one in hand I could review better, but being at work right now... I have to say the only IPA I've had which I could say for sure was better than HopDevil is cask conditioned hopdevil. The cask conditioning seems to mellow out the hops a decent amount by taking a tiny bit of the bite off, without compromising that awesome spiciness. Works even better at celler temps when cask conditioned than when poured from a bottle.

Ya know how redheads are either "hot as hell" or well ya know a "train wreck". Well this is one "hot" devil. Bright bubbles, hypnotic in its bitterness. The aftertaste has addictive overtones of flowers, perfume, and a high heel against the backside. God I love the Devil out of this beauty. Sorry about the description, but this is a top ten beer on the wish list..

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

A very good...and it does live up to it's name HopDevil. Amber color is darker then SN-pale ale, with a bit more bite on the mouth. Very hoppy indeed! The malt is very nice too, its sweetness balancing the hop bitterness. A bit of warming in the belly in the finish. Defines the true American style IPA! Cheers!

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Cask review from 04MAY02...
On cask at NERAX.... pleasing copper color, with a small, fine head. Nose is hops, hops, and hops! Mmmm. Decent smoothness/body, overall. Flavor was hops from start to finish... Not as aggressive as the bottle/tap version, though. Felt it was mellowed a bit by the oaky cask flavors... Still an A-1 bier!!

overall: 4.4
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 4

*** ***

On-tap review of 09FEB02...
On draft, dark copper color, maybe a tad cloudy (?) but enticing. Fine creamy head which fades away.... Nose is pleasant, floral and attracting! Has medium-full body, and medium-smooth tongue....goes down nicely! Semi-sweet, malty (biscuity? really?) start which segues nicely into a smooth floral hoppiness!!! I like it!!!!
Sampled also from the bottle...same dark, copper color, but no cloudiness....other attributes are the same... A-1 IPA! Also enjoyed often from the bottle.... (4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5 = 4.50)

This is my favorite IPA. I think the brewmasters at Victory describe it best, and I quote: "Bold, spicy and menacingly delicious, this American-hopped India Pale Ale offers an aromatic punch and then follows through with a lasting, full-bodied finish." Agreed.

HopDevil India Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown