HopDevil India Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,527 | Ratings: 7,317
4.14/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The body is a very deep Amber, bordering on red, that is top with a lasting white head. The nose is sweet and malty for an IPA, but the hops are prevalent and nicely balances. A strong sweet malt flavor dominates from the start with a toasted sensation, but the key is that hop flavors are playing along the whole time. The complexity of this is wonderful. This beer has been around for a while and should not be overlooked in the way of the hop bombs of today.

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Got a single from LEGOLAND Publix to celebrate National IPA day. Good for an IPA...mild hoppiness and only a mild headache afterwards - I'll call that a success. Definitely not "devilish". Enjoyed while watching Peaky Blinders on Netflix.

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%

L -- Pours copper with a small off-white head that quickly fizzles out. No lacing on this pour.

S -- Immediate, bold grapefruit scent, along with a minute lemon zest ending, right after pouring. Develops into a more balanced hop aroma with resin joining the fray. There's a minor sweetness to it as well that adds complexity to the hops.

T -- Flavor very much follows the aroma: grapefruit, pine, with a strong bitterness to go along with it. The end notes are very much resiny, but the sweetness from the aroma melds with it to lessen the overall bitter-blow. The malts add a bready component, sorta like a tasty honey-nut flavored loaf, plus some minor caramel notes.

F -- Medium body, crisp, refreshing: very drinkable. I'll actually call it full-bodied for an IPA as the more I drink it, the "richer" it starts to feel in my life. It leaves a fairly dry palate and the bitterness leaves a light zing on the tongue.

O -- A very good beer. It's a great east coast IPA example, with plenty of hops and a solid malt backbone to go with it. I'd be happy to have this in the fridge all the time.

3.87/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appears medium amber with nice laced head on it. Smells malty and sweet with pine notes; malt aroma takes the hops. Observable alcohol taste but not too overpowering; hits you while swallowing the beer. Carmel and syrupy tasting, lingers in the mouth in a pleasing way. Would not describe as a "heavy hitting" IPA but has a alcohol presence. If you like malt-forward IPAs I would recommend. Wish I could have had this from a tap fresh!

4.29/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

First pour gives me a nice airy, fluffy head and a deep amber color. Great hop flavor without being too bitter. Nice warming sensation as the beer glides across my tongue and down my throat. A superb IPA.

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Decent IPA. Had in 355ml bottle. Pours nice amber colour with decent head. Nice pine citrus nose. Decent lacing. Good body. I like bitter IPAs but this one lacked balance for me. Will try again but think better out there.

3.74/5  rDev -7.9%

12 fl oz, Enjoy by 24/11/2015 10:48 P. Pale amber colour with frothy off-white head which reduced to a ring but left some nice lacing. Aroma of pine, grapefruit, caramel and sweet malt. Medium bitterness, light sweetness and a hint of saltiness. Noticeable alcohol. Light to medium body; thin, slightly sticky texture; average carbonation; noticeable malt backbone and a long, slightly dry, pine bitterness in the finish. Not as hop dominant as I was expecting but decent enough. 8.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottle, Hoppy piney citrusy aroma, grapefruit. Resiny. Slightly hazy reddish amber colour, small head. Taste is hop-centered. High bitterness. Not to bad.

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%

Clear, dark amber colored beer with a huge, three finger high, beige-white head. A lot of lacing stays on the glass.

A great nose! I'm a little suprice of the malty nose!
Caramel malt, bread, fudge, brown sugar, butter, biscuit, fudge and grass.
Taste: Caramel malt, grass, pine, dark bread, hops and oak.
Body: Medium to full body. Medium carbonation. Smooth, oily taste.

A great IPA from Victory! Bold and malty! I really like this.

3.33/5  rDev -18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Hop Devil by Victory Brewing.

Never had one outta these guys. Let us hope it works out in my favor.

Look - Pours clear amber with a two finger slightly off white head that sticks around like a good father. The carbonation is on low with this one. No cloud formations to speak of. Yet at least. Leaves good lacing. 4.

Smell - Dominated by the malts and a half grapefruit mix. There really isn't a whole lot to say here. Half and half wins this race. 3.25.

Taste - The grapefruit pith is most prevelant really. The malts are certainly there but it is absolutely nothing to write home about. Basic IPA. 3.25.

Feel - Medium carbonation with a slighty watery body. Only thing saving this aspect is the creaminess. 3.

Overall - Blah. Generic as can be, nothing new here. Uninpressive, even for the style. I'd pass in the future. 3.

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

I'm not really a fan of IPAs normally.. but this is a good one for sure. Aftertaste is not as powerful or lingering as other IPAs I've had so I like that about it. VICTORY is my go to for everything so you cant go wrong.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My first try of a Victory beer and I was very pleased. Apparently though, not as pleased as others, but I still enjoyed this offering.

I had it as a draft - great golden brown coloration with a weak head but strong lacing down the glass - quite impressive really. I noted some citrusy scents that mixed well with the strong hoppy aroma. The brew was well carbonated (more so than to my liking) and the aftertaste was a big surprise to me, since lately I've had some strong IPAs and haven't had the aftertaste I experienced with this beer. I didn't note the citrusy odor in the beer itself, which I expected, but IPA was definitely bold in flavor. Overall, it was a very good beer and would definitely partake from it again.

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a random glass from my cabinet. A beautiful amber color, darker than most ipas. Very grassy and pine-y. Not the same citrus notes found in other ipas, an interesting difference. Aroma also very grassy. Extremely smooth for and ipa and suprisingly refreshing. Not quite as good as langunitas ipas though.

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

12oz bottle. Code date of 8/9/15. Appearance: Deep amber and clear with a light khaki head. Aroma: relatively faint hop aroma for an American IPA. Some floral and herbal notes, but it’s minimal. Caramel malt also noticeable. Taste: Rich caramel and toasty malt flavors dominate, with a sharp hop bitterness that has some herbal and resinous notes. Mouthfeel: Medium body with some viscosity and low carbonation. Finish: Some lingering herbal bitterness and caramel malt. Overall: Definitely an east coast as opposed to west coast IPA. More malt balanced than a west coast IPA. Drinks like a slightly hoppier American Amber

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

First of all, wow!

A deep Amber copper color. Creamy off white head that never fully dissipates. Beautiful lacing.

The smell was good, but it didn't prepare me for the taste. The smell was underwhelming. The taste was certainly not.

Very hoppy. Finishes very sharp. A little salty, even.

Feels almost creamy, but not heavy. My favorite aspect of the beer.

Overall, a beautiful beer. If you like IPAs, give it a try. If you don't like IPAs, save your money because it's truly an IPA.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I have been wanting to try this beer for a long time. In Philadelphia on business and finally got my chance. Beautiful hazy orange color with thin white head. One of the best aromas of any IPA I've ever had. Bold, floral exotic taste with lots of things going in the finish. Absolutely amazing. In my top ten.

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Decent IPA from Victory. Floral, spice, dank bitterness that lingers on the palate. Prefer Dirtwolf anyday however. Not a bad offering though. Always available in my area which is nice.

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Maybe it's just me but I found this beer to be way too malty and boring. The thing was I could tell this was going to be the case from the aromas alone . . . and this bottle still has 4 months until it's best by date. The appearance is nice enough. It glows and even looks attractive and inviting in the glass. But the taste and flavors are far from being a good ipa.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I tasted this a few years back and thought nothing of it. I decided to give it a second chance and was surprised by the how much better it tasted this time around. Hoppy, piny, citrus deliciousness. Reminded me of Great Divide's Titan IPA but a bit sweeter and not quite as hoppy. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and can see where the hype is coming from. I believe batches vary in quality but if you get a good one your in for a treat.

4.1/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Definitely a very "malty" IPA. But I dig it. Threw one back after a Sculpin so the malt came out a lot more I think. More hops would be good. Reminds me of a Dogfish Head beer.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served nitro on tap. Clear and orangish red with a creamy white head. Citrus hop aroma, very pleasant. Hops explode in the taste, good blend of bitterness and a hint of malt. Very smooth (with the nitro) and a great texture. Very enjoyable.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Nice beer. Aroma isn't very distinctive one way or the other but the flavor is very good. Pours smooth and has a lot of favor at first taste. Would order again but still prefer other IPAs

4.71/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

No matter how many amazing, hop-heavy beers I try, I will always remember that this is the one that put me on the IPA train. Love this beer, will always be one of my favorites.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A very malt forward IPA with a hazey copper color and fragrant, almost perfumey hop smell. Little head retention. Overall, good beer. Definitely not outstanding but good.

4.66/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As a hop head it crazy that I have not tried this brew! What a nice surprise. Poured out of a bottle a nice amberish color with little head. Smell was floral with apricot, slight banana, and pine. Taste was a blast of hops! It dissipates giving way to a citrus and apricot hint and finishing with just a hint of pine. The hoppy taste lingers for a bit after the finish. A must try for hop heads!

HopDevil India Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown