HopDevil India Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Ratings: 7,357 |  Reviews: 2,538

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

S-Bottle from a six pack that I picked up at the local store. Victory is big in PA where I was in school, but living in MA now I was surpised but happy to see their stuff in the cooler. Then I got home and saw the enjoy by July 2005 stamp on the side of the bottle...this was November 10th...oh well, I gave it a try anyway. It was still pretty good.

A-The usual IPA, reddish brown slightly golden color. A nice light head on top that left behind plenty of lacing on the way down.

S-Not as overpowering as IPAs usually are. Mind you, that is a smell I like so overpowering is not used in any negative sense here...but anyway, this didn't have the trademark super hoppy scent that I have come to expect from most IPAs. It was still there, just more subdued and subtle in its hoppiness.

Taste-Since I couldn't compare this to a fresh beer, I don't know whether this was tasting right or not. But, it was not bad at all. This was not as hoppy as other beers of this kind I have had, but that's not a bad thing since I think sometimes it gets overdone. Some hopiness was still there and the beer is filled with strong flavors throughout.

Mouthfeel-Pretty good. Again, who knows what the age did to it here. It was not very carbonated...only a slight bit present. Nothing to complain about though, nice and smooth with a little bite to it.

D-Just fine. Can't really taste the high octane in this one at all. Goes down smooth, even if it is 4 months too old! Very good balanced flavor, not so assaulting you can keep drinking it. Would try again for sure, hopefully a fresh one next time.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

While going to see a friend's band perform at the North Star bar, I was pleasantly surprised to find this on tap. It poured out a hazy copper color with a creamy thick semi-tan head. The smell was dominated by a sweet-fruity aroma with a sweet malt undertone. The taste was very similar to that of the aroma, as it was full of bitter hops and some spices. While the hops are over-powering, they are not overwhelming at all. The mouthfeel is extremely smooth. I could easily sit back and enjoy several of these before I realized how many I actually had. Kudos to Victory for creating this wonderful IPA!

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

HopDevil India Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown