Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,492 | Ratings: 7,165
3.45/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

While I'm not a huge IPA fan, I really tried to judge this on the style, but just thought it was unbalanced and just an overload of hop bite

A: Transparent orange/amber with 3/4 inch of slightly off white head

S: hops, maybe a bit of citrus but just overpowered

T: just overpowering hops

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation, nothing bad, nothing great

D: Hard to put a whole 12oz down. If you are a serious hop-head, go for it, I just just found the bitterness far too dominating to enjoy

D

3.44/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into snifter. Best by date 3/30/14

A Poured pretty aggressively into 16 oz snifter. This produced a fairly thick off white head that didn't last too long but produced a thick lacing that held. Color is transparent dark amber, very close to ruby.

S Musty, floral, and fruity. Hints of citrus and just a faint hint of hops.

T Taste certainly does not mirror the smell. Very hoppy. Right of front and thick and lingering at the back end. In between there is caramel/malt tinge of sweetness.

M Full for the style. Has backbone. Creamier than most IPAs. Finish is rough, but not bad, due to the bitterness.

O Pretty good if not a bit inconsistent. It is bitter and hoppy. I like that. However, there just seems to be something lacking. I am not talking balance. I don't need equal malt in an IPA. There just doesn't seem to be any complexity of mixture of flavors. I wish I could put my finger on it, but it's just lacking. Not bad at all, but just seems that it could be much better. Weird.

3.44/5  rDev -15.3%

12oz. bottle served into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass

Pours a rich honey color with good clarity. The cream-colored head is sizable at 1 1/2 fingers with rocky lacing.

The aromas are very, very muted for some reason. Some weak cracker malt smells and light grassiness are all that I get. This bottle expires on 10/13/09, so the hops shouldn't have faded out completely... no choice but to score it low.

Ah, that's better. The hops haven't faded, evidenced by the floral hit of flavor at the tip of the tongue. The gentle hop kiss informs the generous malt bill. This isn't a malt bomb, but the caramel and slight toasted malt flavors are highly assertive. The hops take over on the finish, delivering a blast of pine and grapefruit alpha acid yumminess on the back end of the drink. The lingering aftertaste is very gentle; just a trace of bitterness. Ultimately, this is a very balanced IPA.

Mouthfeel is a little too watery for my tastes; I noticed the "watery" quality from the very first drink. Drinkability, however, is excellent. The predominant feeling of balance -- good malt tastes not being overpowered by the nice hopping -- makes this a beer that you can drink as much of as you would like to. The relatively low ABV% of 6.7 helps in this regard, too.

I can't buy beers from Victory in MO (where I live). If I could, I don't think that I would buy HopDevil over other, more local, options for a balanced IPA. I think that I brought home the wrong six pack of Victory product with me from Illinois. That said, this is a solid beer with a lot of positive attributes going for it. If you want a balanced IPA over an intense hop bomb, then you could do a lot worse than HopDevil.

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

22 oz. pour at the Food Shack in Jupiter, FL.

Appearance - Two finger off-white head atop a deep amber body. Pretty clear with good lacing. Dark for an IPA, but otherwise nice looking.

Smell - Not a lot of aroma. Some piney hops and a bit of bready malt. Sometimes I have trouble getting good aromas when I get a beer on tap, but this is even lower in aroma than that.

Taste - Piney hops first with a toasty malt midrange. I wish it was hoppier, especially because there isn't a lot of citrus to it. The piney hops make it feel less... brisk? A long, almost smokey bitter finish that lingers.

Mouthfeel - Good carbonation and medium bodied. It's easy drinking and tasty.

Overall - Not bad, not great. Hardly this side of good, really. I'd drink it if nothing else were available.

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

A - Poured a medium abmer colour with one finger of foamy white head.

S - The nose is very hoppy but not the typical graprefruit hop bomb. The hop nose is earthy with some pine. There is also a visible malt nose that is somewhat sweet.

T - Earthy hops with sweet caramel malts. More balanced than I expected. The bitter hop profile comes through but a lot of malt does too. Not exactly what I expected from a beer called "Hop Devil."

M - Medium body with a bit of chew. A nice mouthfeel.

D - A good beer, but not a great beer.

T

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

Purchased as a single from total wine with a drink by june 2011 freshness date - poured into a dfh snifter.

Poured good with moderate head, poor lacing. Color is amber with decent carb. Smells very mildly of hops, I must say that for a beer called hop devil I expected more hops in the aroma. slight solvent aromas as well. Tasted okay with good bittering additions yet slightly unbalanced towards the bitter end. Usually I go for bitter IPAs but this had little to no aroma to go with it so it was a bit un-enjoyable. Was not a bad brew by any means, but I wouldn't purchase it again

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had the draft-nitro @ Fountainhead tonight and it was like a hopped up marshmallow. I will wither away of old age before the frothy/creamy head on this goes down.

So cool to tame the bitterness of the hops w/the nitro and still remain damn tasty. Killer w/the gorganzola burger, too.

Bottle w/drink by date of 06/13.

Nice amber in the glass w/decent lacing. A very nice looking beer.

The nose is a bit perfumey. The hops are there, but, it's got a lilac & hop combo thing.

The flavors are pretty standard IPA - hoppy and bitter and not much else. Lacks any interesting factor and fairly one dimensional.

Overall - I'd recommend to someone who has never had an IPA and wants to try a basic, no-frills beer w/the two basic components of the India Pale Ale - hops and bitterness.

Basically a Hop Czar for a few bucks more.

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a deep but clear amber with a finger's worth of oat colored head. Dissipates slowly to a bit of lacing.

Smells hoppy and floral. Very potent. The hop aroma is fresh (not dry at all) and overpowers anything else that is there.

The taste echos the smell. Very potent floral hops with the expected hoppy bitterness in the aftertaste. Again, the hops take center stage and make it difficult to sense anything else, but there is a light sweetness in there as well, like a bit of honey.

The mouthfeel is smooth, not thin, and slightly carbonated. The balance is very good for the style.

I'm really just not a big fan of hoppy beers. However, as far as they go, this one of the ones I've enjoyed the most. The floral taste and aroma goes a long way in mitigating the bitter aftertaste for me. I can imagine that this is an absolute gem for hopheads. If I had to drink a hoppy beer, this would be among my top choices.

3.42/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Nice copper color with a medium head that remained thru the sample. The smell has traces of hops and sweetness, but they are slight and not what you would expect for a beer called HopDevil. The taste was even for my liking. This beer was hoppy before the rise of hopbombs, but now it is middle of the road. Enough resin is there to coat your mouth, but not enough to burn like others. The mouthfeel is thick for my liking, with a malt aftertaste on the back of my throat. This beer remains popular and I will have it again, more on tap than in the bottle.

3.42/5  rDev -15.8%

A: Fake amber orange-ish color.

S: Smells very hoppy, but at the same time it smells like a relative farted in your face.

T: Luckily, it tastes much better than it smells although it is very bitter. Too bitter even for a hophead like myself. Only reason I even drink this beer is because it has the perfect alcohol content at 6.7% abv. The only reason I'm even reviewing this beer is because of the mouthfeel which is came as a real shocker.

M: A real spicy bite to this one. Very bitter but the bite is so fierce that it numbs the tongue enabling one to drink a second one. This is by far the most appealing quality to this beer.

O: If the other aspects of the beer were up to par with the alc. content and the mouthfeel, this beer would be an A+, however, since the mouthfeel is so exceptional I'd have to say this aint such a bad beer overall.

3.42/5  rDev -15.8%

With all the hype about this beer I decided to give it a try....

The pour revealed great head retention with generous amounts of foamy white lace.It had a smell of hops with a bitter touch.The smell also had a "copper" smell to it.It had a full body with a dark cherry red color.Very silky and smooth with a good mouthfeel.The finish was very dry with a long bitter grapefruity aftertaste.The overall taste didnt impress me.Other than the appearance I dont see what all the hype is about.Way too bitter needs more balance.This beer is way to overrated! I would not buy or drink this again.

3.42/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Poured into nonic. Dark orange hazy half finger head. Decent carbonation. Decent lacing. Smell is piney, citrus hoppy. Taste is strong pine. Hops. Light toasty malt dry medium mouthfeel. I do not like many IPAs. This one is ok to me.

Taken from notes from 9/26/10

Upon pouring the beer, it pours a deep amber, mahogany color with lots of natural carbonation. It builds about a 2-finger head, but that dissipates relatively quickly. The smell is a bit weak, but you get the usual fragrances familiar to other IPAs such as pine and hops, with a little bit of citrus. However, it doesn't have much oomph.

Once I dove into this beer and finally tasted it, I was a bit surprised. For being a 6.7% IPA, it is surprisingly refreshing. It feels light in the mouth and goes down very easily. However, the downside is that there is a disappointing amount of body. The flavor is there, but it fades quick and is relatively forgetful. The initial impression that I got from this beer is that is just feels kind of "weak".

Not to say that it is bad, necessarily. Just that from a beer called "HopDevil", I was expecting something with a bit more of a punch. I feel that if I were just getting into the IPA style, this would be an excellent jumping off point, but for someone who has explored many IPA's, this is one that falls a little short. If it were a bit cheaper, it would definitely be one of my go-to IPA's however, due to its great refreshing taste.

Would buy again, but wouldn't go out of my way to search for it.

3.41/5  rDev -16%

Enjoy by December 16, 2012 (barely legible, why do they always do this?)

A: Pours a nice dark orange, nice retention and lacing. Delicious looking beer.

S: Spicy hops, citrus.

T: Decent hop bite, not a ton of malt behind it. Harsh bitterness lingers, not very pleasant.

M: Medium body and carbonation, smooth.

O: A decent IPA, didn't taste that fresh even though the date suggested it had 2 more months on the shelf. For $12/six pack you can do a whole lot better.

3.41/5  rDev -16%

Very slightly hazy copper/orange with a solid cream colored head that looked impressive, but faded quickly. Left quite a bit of lacing. Lots of floral hops. Burnt sugar and some bready caramel malts are also there along with a very slight hint of citrus. For the taste, the citrus comes across more as a zest of grapefruit and orange. Hops are just not as powerful as I was hoping. Lots of the burnt sugar sweet malty notes. I did like the dry bitter finish.

3.41/5  rDev -16%

12 oz., best before 11/20/04, but I kept it to see what would happen. Pours a caramel/copper color with a 1 finger head that leaves decent lacing. Lots of malts in the aroma along with a grapey scent that lets you know it's not a fresh beer. It's got bready/biscuity malts with floral hops that leave a healthy bitterness. It's tingly and a little warming and much better when fresh.

notes from 5/26 ipa blind tasting

best by date 8/13/09

pours amber orange mimimal head that left no lacing

smell was mostly bready malts with slight pine and citrus hops

taste was balanced well bready malts along with spicy peppery hops and bitter ash in the aftertase

mouthfeel - first sip stings the mouth but has good creamy finish

drinkability - ok if you are looking for balanced ipa that is light body - just not that exciting

over this beer finished last in blind tasting
rankings on tasting 1-8 GFlash-2Hrtd-BigEye-Hop3-CorneDuDiable-60min-AlphaKing-Hdevil

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Beautiful, clear orange/amber with an unremarkable head.

S: Malty, mostly caramel, almost sour. WTF? I guess I pick up some pine and a little indistinct citrus, but malt seems to dominate the nose.

T: Well-balanced between malt and hops, but flavors pretty much follow the nose and I'm having a difficult time pulling out any nuances. Sweet pine? Over-ripe orange? Dandelion? I just don't know. Lots of caramelly malt, for sure, but I expected something more. Like, maybe this beer could live up to its name? At least it leads and finishes piney bitter, but with a whole lot of caramel in between. The combination, I think, is what makes this smell/taste almost sour. But a strange sour, like dandelion wine.

M: What you'd expect for an IPA and maybe a touch thicker. Carbonation is fine.

O: I've had this beer before and don't recall disliking it. But today? I don't think I'd buy it again. Still, my palate has been all over the place lately, and I generally like Victory beers, especially their pilsner, so maybe I'll write this off as a disappointing aberration from the norm.

3.4/5  rDev -16.3%

A: Poured an amber caramel color with virtually no head. No lacing to speak of.

S: Grassy hops mixed with very sweet malt notes. Apple juice and caramel come to mind. Not much else here.

T: Lots of malt and bitter grassy hops. The sweetness of the malt dominates this beer with flavors of caramel apple. The bitterness comes in a very grassy earthy form but comes across as watered down.

M: Very good mouthfeel, the brew is thick and full.

O: The strong malt profile of this beer mixed with the grassy hops makes for an interesting take on the IPA. For me it was too sweet and the mix of grassy bitterness was not too enjoyable. But for those that like malt or ambers, this might be your beer.

3.4/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I got this in a 12 ounce cup at the Wachovia Center. I was suprised when I saw a Victory stand and was shocked that this would be at a basketball game. It poured a deep yet light brown color with no head at all. There was however, a fair amount of lacing all the way down. The smell had a nice hop smell and the taste had lingers of the same. There was a bit of a bite to the mouthfeel that I didn't really like that much. For the most part this was a just above average beer. Don't drink and review.

3.39/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a nice red color with a two and a half finger white head. Lots of sticky lacing. Would probably have gotten a 5 for appearance if the head had lasted just a little longer. Still a very nice looking and very clear beer.

Smell has a slight American hop aroma with some citrus. There is also a distinct malt aroma that provides some sweetness as well as some honey in there.

A little heavy on the malt and a little sweeter than I usually like. There are no definable hop characteristics outside of the lingering bitterness on the back of my tongue. The malt flavor is nutty and a little grainy. Not bad, but not what I would normally want from an IPA either.

Medium bodied beer with perfect carbonation. A little residual sweetness hurts this but it's really a nice feeling beer.

Now that I know what I am getting in to I would probably get this again but not when I want a hop bomb. It's strange because I really enjoyed Hop Wallop and would drink that regularly but this one is just meh.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap in Downingtown, PA. Not at the brewery itself, but close enough. Anyway...
Pours a nice copper color with an off white head and some lace rings as it goes down.
Aromas begin with a good amount of pine and floral hops as well as a bit of citrus.
The tastes add some caramel but is mostly pine and floral hops without too much bitterness.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly dry.
Overall it is good, but forgettable in a sea of IPAs which exist in today's market. Good to find on tap amongst the other domestic swill my hotel had on tap.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

This Hop Devil pours a coppery red color, and with a little help, forms a nice 1 finger medium bodied head. There is some nice lacing that looks like ink blots forming down the side of the glass as I sip.

The beer smells delicate with some hints of orange. It tastes bitter. Lemon a grapefruit dominate. Malt is hard to detect, but I taste some caramel in the background. To me, this beer does not have enough character to back up the smooth bitterness. It leaves a dry metallic sensation on my tongue. The mouthfeel is a tad thin and slightly under carbonated.

I will have no problem enjoying the rest of my 6 pack, but I had higher expectations of this beer. I'll give it another try in the future.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

Reviewed from notes; originally consumed 5/06/10.

A-Pours a clear reddish amber with a two finger, eggshell head.

S-Caramel and bready malt notes with herbal and floral hops.

T-Piney, herbal bitter hop notes upfront with some bready malt and spicy, bitter finish.

M-It's on the light end of medium bodied with high carbonation.

D-Wasn't really a huge fan of this one. The hops just weren't to my taste, and I like my IPA's a little less carbonated.

To be fair in reviewing, this bottle was marked Enjoy by: May 1,07
Bottle was purchased and consumed about 3 months ago.

Translucent light copper color. White head with large bubbles that faded to a halo of foam. Low levels of carbonation rising in tumbler. Hardly a nose on this beer which makes me suspect along with the low carbonation an older sample. Faint flowery and fruity hops smell. The bitter taste on this one is very earthy that reminds me of a German dunkel. Mouthfeel is on lighter side with a bitter drying finish. Will definitely have to have another one because I generally like stuff from Victory.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown