Hop Devil Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,501 | Ratings: 7,200
4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

04/24/05- Received via trade with Santoslhalper.

Presentation- 12oz dated bottle poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Ligher orange pour with a nice cream colored head and above normal lacing.

Smell- Nice grapefruit scent with a bit of sweetness.

Taste- Mmmmm, very nice and well balanced brew. Was expecting to be blown away with hops in this one, but what I got was a nice sweet pine and grapefruit hopped beer with a nice amount of added malt.

Mouthfeel- Typical moderate IPA carbonation.

Drinkability- One of the better balanced IPA's I have had. A very nice treat.

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%

Wow, this was not what I was expecting! I thought that by the name I would have a tastebud burner. Not so.

The nose and flavor of this beer are melded well. The hop profile dominates, but is tempered by a floral character which accentuates the smooth character of the hop rather than brandishing their power.

The flavor is not neccessarily crisp, but it is just shy of being snappy, and again very smooth. Slight hint of alchowarmth makes sense according to the ABV.

Excellent IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

12oz poured into a pint. The label is stamped "Enjoy by Jul 22 05".

Bright amber/orange with a white head that shows decent retention and stickiness.

Strong hops in the nose. Citric, specifically grapefruit. Slightly piney with some malt sweetness underneath.

Quick note of sweet malt followed by a building hop intensity. The finish is bitter and lingers for a bit. Hop heads will bow before this brew.

The mouthfeel is full, at least for an IPA, and this is a very drinkable brew if you like maximum hoppage.

This could give Two Hearted (my favorite IPA) some serious competition.

3.86/5  rDev -4.9%

Puchased a 6 pack from Martignetti's

Appearance = Clear, transparent deep colored amber with nice head retention. Looks like it will be a tasty brew.

Smell = Very strong hop flavor

Taste = Hoppiness from smell comes thundering through in the taste. Offset nicely with a brown sugar like sweetness. This is a fine tasting beer although not spectacular.

Overall = Decent American IPA. I recommend it although it's not at the very top of my list.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Amber-orange in color and a little cloudy with the perfect amount of carbonation and decent cling with a frothy small head. Smell is definately hoppy. Just the right amount of hop flavor with a little bit of spice. It's a little bitter with that typical victory malt flavor. In my opinion the perfect balance of malt and hop flavor for an IPA. Mouthfeel is dry. I will be stocking this one for sure.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

I was fortunate enough to be able to get a few bottles of this at an event I attended. This is one of the better IPA's I have tasted, and its is very drinkable alone or with food, but with a 6.7 ABV you may find out why its called the Devil!

Beautiful deep orangeish-red honey color, with a nice 1.25" cream head. Not a lot of lace. Maybe the best bouquet of an IPA so far...definitely a citrus nose and mild hops.

Perhaps the name and/or ABV had me in a pre-mind set, but this is one well crafted IPA that can be enjoyed over & over. Slight peppery undertones with a even, smooth taste that has just the right mix of hops. Not too sharp, actually very even with a nice, soft peek of hops at the throat. Ironically, the great citrus nose didn't carry to the taste (there is some fruitiness, but very mild), but so what? This is one even, smooth IPA that I would buy again.

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Pouring into a pint glass, it pours an amber color with lots of white frothy head with beautiful cascading. Aroma is lots of sharp, piney hops that hits your nose hard and a slight grapefruit aroma. Some very little sugars and sweetness comes through also. Taking a sip it comes very smooth and hoppy up front with a buttery feel throughout the swallow. A bit of sugar on the finish along with the citrus tones (underlying). The carbonation balances well with the flavors; medium-bodied IMO. Great tasting brew that is super-drinkable due to the feel. I'm glad I got plenty of this one!

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

This is just a fantastic brew. Very pretty amber I.P.A. that pours a nice full head. And oh, the smell. Very, very hoppy with a touch of citrus, and rather bitter. The spiciness of this beer is quite unique among I.P.A.'s, which generally lack complexity. Very drinkable, and at 6.7 ABV multiple pours won't do too much damage...

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Let me just say that after I've had Hop Wallop a decent amount by now (in addition to having more than 3/4 of the case in the cellar), I'm a bit biased, but I won't let that hurt this review.

Appearance: Hazy golden amber. Lace hasn't stuck to the glass, but initially it has a decent-sized white head. Pretty impressive overall.

Smell: The hops are a bit overpowering, in a way, meaning the citrus isn't allowed to breathe as well as it should, I feel. But the citrus is there, orange zest, lemon peel, oily hops.

Taste: The flavors come out better than the smell, as the oily hop flavor is pretty balanced overall, without being too bitter. The hops aren't overpowering in the mouth, and the aftertaste is also very balanced. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, flavors from the smells meld in the mouth and become even better.

Drinkability: Halfway between "too much to drink as a session" and "perfect as a session" since it's so tasty and is at a moderately high ABV. Can be paired with great foods, and since the ABV isn't extremely high, it's a good beer in both the summer and winter, and should be tried in both seasons to appreciate, or all four if you want to really try your appreciation.

HopDevil seems to be readily available, so if not a case, a 6-pack is definitely worth getting to at least try it. Even if you're new to the IPA style, this is the one to get; this was the one that was newest to me when I really started to appreciate it.

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a beautiful clear orange with a medium sized lasting head. Smells of citrus and hops. Taste is wonderfully balanced, with the hops taste being clear but never overwhelming. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. This is one of the best and most drinkable IPAs out there.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Very nice orange color with a hazy cloud to it. Firm thick head disappearing nicely as the drink did. Good smell almost toasted flavor, the hoppy flavor wasn't too much it was just right. this is one beer that goes well with spicy food like curry the hops cut through the heat. Very drinkable a nice food beer!!

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had this during the Victory event at the Blind Tiger. Among the 4 styles of Victory I tried, the good ole' HopDevil still stole the night. I've had The Devil countless times in a bottle and on tap, and even a couple of times from a cask, but it was especially good this time, perhaps because of its freshness. In addition to the lovely hops, this almost perfectly balanced ale has a crisp, slightly burnt maltiness coming through the strong, earthy body. This tasting proved again to me that you just can't go wrong with the Devil.

3.77/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a slightly hazy golden orange. The head is about a finger thick, and there's minimal suds clinging to glass.

Smells very herbal, with hops coming on strong. There's some fruity malts as well but it's nearly masked entirely by the spicy hops.

The first thing I noticed about the taste was the carbonation. It tasted rather sweet at first, but then became exceedingly bitter as it hit the back of my tongue. I could literally imagine myself chewing the hop leaves. It was so powerful that it left my mouth feeling a little gunky and oily afterwards.

All in all, it's a good beer, but I enjoy Stone's IPA more. This one doesn't have enough sweetness to balance it out, but I like hops so I can't really hold it against it. I would have preferred it to be a bit maltier, but on the whole, it's a great beer and one that I'd probably pick up again when I need an old familiar brew.

4.95/5  rDev +21.9%

Finally sitting here with a bottle of the legendary HopDevil out of the Victory variety pack....here we go.

Appearance-flawless, a gorgeous red amber color with a huge foamy head that stays and stays and stays, exceptional clarity with active carbonation.

Smell-spicy hop aroma combined with sweet fruit malt, alcohol also seeps through the nostrils but the hops overtake everything by quite a bit.

Taste-velvetey smooth with a rich taste, dark malts puncuate at first followed by a large hop bite, very spicy kicks with some darker flavor (almost chocolate but not quite) seeping through. Viciously flavorful and quite delicious.

Mouthfeel-dark on the palette, hop bite is nice, very flavorful on the palette, a pleasure to drink.

Drinkability-flavorful to the death and deviously drinkable. A top-notch ale that should be enjoyed in all circumstances.

Overall-I am angry that I was so late in finally getting to drink this fabulous beer. A sheer pleasure to drink in every respect and a beer that has acheived its fanfare and fame through sheer drinkability and hop character. A must-try.

3.79/5  rDev -6.7%

its got that carmel color with a nice one finger hear that leaves you very soon. leaves some slight lacing, and has that fruity grapefruit smell. at first its a bit malty, and then transitions into citrus. I feel its a little thick for an ipa, little syrupy, however goes very well with a ribeye steak. feels ok in your mouth, and if you wait for that tingly sensation its way good. Good example of a hoppy ale, and one of Victories staple points. I hear Victories hop wallup is good stuff, but if you can't find it, this is good stuff.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

Burnt orange in color, with rings of off-white lace down the side of a HopDevil pint glass, which announces that this is a "Champion Beer." Indeed, the title is well deserved! The nose presents fragrant flowery hops, fruity with hints of pine and butterscotch. The strong citrusy hops dominate the flavor, with notes of grapefruit and lemon. But they sit atop a wonderful caramely malt backbone, rendering this beer well balanced and quite drinkable. The mouthfeel is sturdy and appealing.

This one is even better on cask. Bravo Victory!

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a cloudy dark reddish orange with a slight off white head. Smell is estery, fruity, slightly malty. Taste is big hops with some toasted malt fighting its way through to the end. The malt provides a good balance to the assault of citrous and pine hop flavors. Slight breadiness from the malt smooth out the sharpness of the hops. There is an spicy flavor that is there from the beginning and lingers in the aftertaste with those lovely alpha acids. That spice makes this quite a good winter ale.

2.82/5  rDev -30.5%

I honestly gave this beer a few chances before I reviewed it. Now I'm convinced. This beer is just not that good overall, and definitely not a good IPA. I have no idea why this beer is rated so high. Amber body with not much of a head. Nice sweet hoppy aroma with some citrus that even my gf liked. Taste is a different story though. Is this a marco pale ale Im drinking? Where the hell is the flavor? It tastes so stale and bland in my opinion. Watered down. Dead hop flavor. I need some hops here. They call this beer HopDevil? I call that false advertising.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured a hazy copper color with low cabonation, thick off-white head that receeded to a thin layer, but left a heavy lacing on the glass. Aroma is heavy of a pine needle smell, but with a bit of a citrusy hint to it, as well.

Heavy dose of hops jump you at first taste of this one. The earhty and floral flavors mix with a kick ass spiciness that really makes this beer shine, and definitely shoves the toasted malts right out of the spotlight. Mouthfeel is extremely smooth and creamy.

A truly excellent brew. The aroma doesn't quite do justice to the ass kicking your taste buds are about to receive, but everyone likes a surprise, right? Unfortunately, I imagine drinking a few of these would leave your taste buds in a comatose state for a few days.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

proof that a great IPA dosnt have to wreck your tastebuds and tip you over after one bottle. pours out a nice red tinged sunset and smells of wonderful citrus hops. taste is solid and balanced, a firm dose of hops with enough malt backbone to keep up. some light sweetness, bitter but not overly so, lightly spicy. medium bodied, somewhat filling but not a bloater. a very well rounded beer that shows its mucles with balance and flavor insted of all out bitterness. top notch.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

On tap at Firewaters in Atlantic City, N.J.
As were some other reviewers, I was very surprised at how well-balanced this beer was. It reminded me a lot of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, which is a good thing. Probably a bit hoppier than SNCA, but the hops are not overwhelming as I feared. Drinkability quite high. I would definitely buy this beer if I could find it anywhere in my area.

This was a nice amber beer with a one finger head that left a fair amount of lacing.

The aroma was of citrusy hops, mainly grapefruit. No real pine or resinous scents to speak of. Seemed the right level, if a little restricted and one-sided.

The taste was bitter, smooth, and not overpowering, with a mix of floral and grapefruit hops. It was not as bitter as I would have expected... a little too mild considering its name and reputation, IMHO.

Mouthfeel was about what expected from the hop balance, and it was pretty drinkable... I would have rated it higher, had it been a little less mild and a little more bitter. I like a bit more of that from an IPA.

3.71/5  rDev -8.6%

I am generally a huge fan of this beer and of all Victory products. The bottle I am reviewing, however, left a little to be desired. Maybe it was the Speakeasy I had before it, maybe it was a bad bottle. Who knows. Anyway, aside from the pronounced hoppy fruitiness I picked up on what I can only describe as a sort of rancid mayonaisse typet taste. Not good. I will try this one again from time to time as I have in the past. Hopefully the next one will be better.

4.56/5  rDev +12.3%

Victory really sets the bar w/ their brews....a 16oz. bottle has been poured...
A deep, hazy, orange w/ a full finger of head...caramel in color.
Beautiful lace that lingers forever.
Smell is nothing overpowering, but you can sense how good this beer is going to be....you can smell a hint of citrus and american hops.
Clean and crisp taste w/ a nice bitter aftertaste. The beer has some malt to it and a bouqet of hops, which justifies it's name. Make no mistake, this in no where close to the "Hop Wallup"...this is the one you can drink all evening. Perfect carbonation...keeps you salivating for more. I always try and keep this beer on hand...if you want to go take a chance on an IPA you've never tried, go buy this tonight. If you can't find it, let me know...I'll hunt it down for you.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours into a pint glass a beautiful amber with a slightly off white 2 finger head. Great smell of hops.Taste is hops but in no way overbearing,beautifully balanced with malt side just as powerful. A great session brew for me,,a must to keep in stock.A+

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown