HopDevil India Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,533 | Ratings: 7,339
4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

The quintessential IPA in my book. Heavy hops create a very spicy, qrapefuity beer. If I had one in hand I could review better, but being at work right now... I have to say the only IPA I've had which I could say for sure was better than HopDevil is cask conditioned hopdevil. The cask conditioning seems to mellow out the hops a decent amount by taking a tiny bit of the bite off, without compromising that awesome spiciness. Works even better at celler temps when cask conditioned than when poured from a bottle.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a hazy orange color with a half inch of foamy off-white head, some lacing.

Scent is of citrus and some grains.

Spicy hop taste, citrus, some alcohol, bready malts, and maybe some light honey taste.

Medium bodied, very smooth and creamy feel.

Very drinkable beer, maybe my favorite IPA to date.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a hazy amber with a big pillowy offwhite head and a bit of lacing.

Smells good, mellow maltyness with a subdued earty hoppyness.

Nice smooth mouthfeel with bitter finish.

Taste is awesome, very smooth and balanced. Sweet maltyness and bitter hops blend very well and neither one seems overly noticable. Aftertaste has very intense hop bitterness flavor without being overly harsh.

In a word, smooth. After trying a few of their beers I have extreme respect for Victory.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Against my better judgment but at the recommendation of some respected BAs, here's my first review.

12 oz bottle poured into my New Belgium balloon. "Enjoy by Sept 14, 2011" so I'm on time. I'm greeted by about a finger of cream colored head. Looks thick and dense, but doesn't last long. Nothing exceptional in the lacing dept. Laser etched bicycle at the bottle of the glass is trickling bubbles through the gorgeous amber/orange maintaining a thin layer of head throughout the full tasting.

The aroma is more pine than citrus to me. A bit of the sweet malt comes through as well. For lack of a better term, it smells balanced.

The taste is hop forward without being overpowering. I get the citrus being mentioned in other reviews. Sweet malt comes through after the initial prickle of the hops wears off. The aftertaste is bitter, begging for another taste. The mouthfeel is what impresses me the most. It's creamy. Thick, but juicy. Love it, but playing devil's advocate it may not suit every situation.

This is a great balanced IPA that I don't feel like I have to concentrate on to enjoy. No feature overpowers the other leaving a very easy to drink beer that doesn't leave you wanting. A beautifully crafted favorite.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

I finally tracked this beer down in TO. They have it at the great Cafe Volo.

It poured a brilliant copper red color with a respectable sized frothy head that left loads of lace trails. The aroma is of citrusy, piney hops up front, but also a competent honey nutty maltiness. The taste is a mass of layered hop flavors, very floral, piney, citrusy and resinous. Its definitely less focused on the Grapefruity Cascades than Liberty Ale (one of the only other APAs Ive tried). The intense hoppyness is kept to heel by a big bold maltiness, theres graham crackers and a nuttyness in the malt profile. The carbonation is soft making for a very subtle medium bodied mouthfeel. The finish is very bitter and lingers for a while. This beer is infinitely drinkable and refreshing.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

I was so excited to finally see this beer on shelves near me. I have been keeping an eye out for it for quite a while and just randomly happened to notice it today. I can't get enough hops so a name like 'hopdevil' caught my attention the first time I heard about it. Upon cracking the bottle, I could immediatly smell what else, but hops. Hops and some citrus. It looked great in my glass; it poured a nice hazy amber color which is exactly how I like an IPA to look. First taste was great, a little malty taste for the first instant but then HOPS. A truly awesome beer, the type of IPA I have been looking for. I think I might have a few more after this one as I find it to be highly drinkable (although I can see how lesser fans of hops might not) but I think I'll save a few because they were pretty expensive at $8.69.
A great beer. If you like hops and well balanced but complex IPA's, pick this up!

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

A - Copper/amber color with a thick foamy off white head and excellent lacing.

S - Nice balance between the hops and the malts. Hops are on the citrus and floral side. (this is an old bottle so the hops are not as pronounced as they usually are)

T/M - Slightly sweet up front with a nice complex lingering bitterness in the finish. Very well balanced in terms of the style. Medium body with moderate carbonation.

Excellent beer!

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance: Slightly hazy bright orange-amber pour. Thick, frothy, lacy light-tan head subsides quickly but not completely.
Smell: Flowery intense cascade hops, sweet malt background. Perhaps the standard for American-style IPA nose.
Taste: Exceptional balance between hops and malt. Sweet caramel malt followed by acidic hop bitterness concluding with a crisp, dry flower/citrus finish.
Mouthfeel: Just slightly thin. Malt is slick and hops are delightfully oily and drying. Carbonation is crisp and helps deliver the hoppy oiliness to the old tastebuds.
Drinkability: A super IPA.

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

First bottle of this ever and all I can say is WOW.

Appearance: Least impressive thing about this beer. Not much head but that doesn't always reflect on the quality of the beer.

Smell: This is what an IPA should smell like. Permeates a rich and sweet hoppy aroma with a hints of caramel malt and wheat barley

Taste: Is a little offsetting at first because of the rich notes of Wheat and Earthy Hops but grows quickly as the glass empties. A little more bitter than your regular IPA. Caramel is very tasteful in its presence and complements the wheat/hops taste. Think I tasted a hint of Vanilla but maybe I'm dreaming. Still the best IPA taste-wise I've had.

Mouthfeel: Delightfully smooth and elegant. Very swishable but yet a beer you want to drown in.

Overall: Victory does know how to brew an IPA. This is a rich and hoppy brew that will be a constant favorite. Not necessarily a novice IPA but that is probably a good thing. The Caramel tones are second to no other IPA.

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

Had at Shannon Rose in Woodbridge,NJ. Appearance is a hazy copper. Retains some head throughout with some bubbles.

Smell is more woodsy. A lot of citrus. The lime and orange are what stands out the most to me.

Taste is spicy. Seems like a more bitter Sierra Nevada. Big hops and the citrus blends very well with them. Get a lot of orange in the taste.

Mouthfeel is that its a moderately heavy beer. For 7 percent the alcohol hides very well. The aftertaste lingers for a while but its pleasant.

Overall, this is a very good beer. Good balance of hops and citrus. The alcohol isnt too powerful. Victory is close to me. Havent really explored there variety but might have to after trying this one.

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

I have purchased this wonderful over-the-top brew many times. When I am looking for a fix of heavy in your face hops (and when am I not?) this is one of the staples to which I turn.

True to its' name, this baby delivers the goods. Hops out the wazou. Even though it is over the top the way none of the imports are (yet), it is very drinkable. I could have several of these, although I usually savor them!

The cooked in and finishing hops are all very strong. If you didn't get that from the name, beware (you must really need more warning then, I guess).

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

What a fantastic brew! The beer is a amber (maybe orangish) color, with a quick-dissapating head. The aroma is fantastic. The hops are strong. Fairly good whiff of grapefruit/citrus to it. The taste is equally good. The hops are VERY strong, but there is an exquisite balance to them. They aren't strong for the sake of being strong. Decent amount of body to the beer. I had this with a friend the other night, and his initial reaction was "WOW".

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a nice darker color for an IPA. Only got a small head built up but great lacing down the glass. Smell is piney with a hint of malt sweetness. Great hop taste with this one. For a hop centered beer they keep everything in check. It's hop dominated but very well rounded. I like a beer that goes overboard with hops but I know a great balance as well. Great beer and for sure one to put on your list of beers to try.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had a sixtel on tap on my draft system poured into a SA glass.

Clear with a slight haze,coppery color,dense/creamy off-white head with execellent retention slowly decends into a nice pillowy layer. Lots of carbination as well.

A good assertive piney/resiny aroma up front,very clean and inviting,carmelized maltiness with slightly burnt notes and a nice toastness in there also. Citrusy hop aromas in the background.

Strong hop tastes, lots of pine with a leafyness,as grapefruityness comes through towards the finish. Excellent balance With a sweet carmell maltiness.

A good full mouthfeel with a twangy feel. On of the first ipa's iv'e ever had and still one of the best. Without a doubt the most drinkable as well. The one never lasts long at my house. An absoulte must try ipa, has to be a classic.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours an inviting golden color, with a white and long lingering head. Noticeably hoppy smell of citrus and pine, followed by a very strong hop flavor that rolls over the entire tongue from front to back. This is a great beer, with a tremendous and intense hop flavor.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

HopDevil (cool name, and cool bottle) pours a deep redish-bronze to amber with a one finger head that recedes to a thin soapy film. A bit of lacing sticks to the glass, and stays put.

The nose is full of grassy, musty, floral, and citrus (particularly grapefruit) notes. I dig the outdoorsy smell going on here....like after it rains in the spring. It smells...zesty and fresh.

Oh yeah! That's goood! Grassy vegetal sweetness (like flowers maybe?) predominates along with a fresh mouthfeel. Then, the sweetness turns to bitter grapefruit mid-sip followed by a bitter alcohol punch. I can taste quite a bit of malt for an IPA....and for me that is a good thing. IMO this is a very balanced beer (for the style at least).

I really like the nature-y fresh zest and the sweet and sour combo on the tongue. For me, this is very very drinkable since it has that hop heavy kcik that I crave, but the sour pucker is not at all overwhelming even towards the end of the glass! I could session quite a few of these babies!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Pours a clear true copper hue. Head is a very pale yellow with a variety of small and large bubbles. Head falls to a fine net of tiny bubbles that cover the beer, Good Lacing. Plenty of carbonation races up the walls of the glass.

S - Amazing Smell. Lots of sweet grape fruit up front with a more of a pine finish. Complementary caramel malt accentuated the bitter hop aroma at the end. Slight malt undertones.

T - Simply amazing. There is a very powerful citrus hops up front that seem to be sweetened by the malts. The taste moves towards a hint of a yeasty sweet bred towards the middle. And finishes clean on the palette with a Spicy bitter taste that doesn't linger too long. The malt doesn't seem to separate its self ever from the Hops, it's a cohesive taste the whole way through.

M - Medium Bodied finish very light and dry with an ever so slight warming feeling. Awesome carbonation, just right.

O - It just doesn't last long enough. The first impression is of IPA is that its not overpowering enough, then after a few sips the beer becomes perfectly balanced with malt and just the right amount of hops. Its getting a 5 on Overall impression because it improves with each sip, rather then hit you up front and leave you numb towards the end. Perfectly balanced.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a pilsner glass. Bought a 6-pack for $9.99 in San Diego. Bottle states: "Enjoy by Jan 2, 2011."

Poured an amazing orange. Smells of pine, honey, hops, tangerine, melon and orange rind. Outstanding.

Taste is like the smell; hoppy, orange...for some reason I'm getting very slight strawberry. The bitterness fades very quickly and is amazingly drinkable. A mellow yet delicious hop presence. Very fresh taste - I wonder when this was bottled?

This is my second Victory beer and I'm quickly becoming a fan. Goes great while sitting in the sun.

note: I just had my teeth cleaned at the dentist. How this plays into this review, who knows..

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I've had this beer on tap in different bars across Pennsylvania and it never disappoints.
It pours a medium orange/copper/rust color with a slight frothy head. The scent is pure IPA: citrus & hops.

What sets this beer apart from the other IPA's is the taste...You get that hops kick in the front, not overpowering (which is good) and then finishes with a very slight malty sweetness.

Some IPA's are either overpowering with the hops (which is fine, depending on what you are thirsting for at the moment) or finishes with a sweetness which overpowers the hops. This one, in my opinion, has the right mix in the right order.

This beer will have you wanting more but be careful, at 6.70% abv, it sneaks up on you!

It's one of the best IPA's out there and one of my favorites. I'm lucking to have this brewed in my home state.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours clear copper with red highlights-- devlish! Generous off-white head, good lacings. The nose is of fresh, slightly piney hop goodness, with a touch of cereal. Bitterness takes up residence on the palate early and doesn't relinquish its hold. Hop flavors turn sweet and juicy, combining with resinous elements that affirm this ale's status as a hop monster.

If this is the Devil, consider me Damned, and Damned proud of it!

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

Just returned from the US from a 2-year job assignment in Australia. I've been waiting 2 years to get my hands (and tounge) on some nice American Hop Bombs.

Victory Hop Devil was my choice.

It pours a wonderful, clear honey colour with a foamy tan head that sticks around for quite a while, and sticks to the side of the glass. If the head was a bit thicker, I'd give it a 5. But it's hard to fault the looks.

Smell is fantastic, citrusy, spicy, with some toasty malt in the background

Taste is exactly what I want out of a big, American Hop Bomb. It's a 5, and I don't give those out willy-nilly. First impression is actually a sweet malt, until the beer hits the back of your tongue when the bittering hops get you. Nice. Then you breathe in and get the affect of the aroma hops. What a nice combination. Alcohol is hidden well behind the malt.

Mouthfeel is on the heavy side, but it fits. It's creamy, and I would say it has the same mouthfeel as a nice English Ale. Drinkabiliity is outstanding for one, but one's really all you need.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I do not consider myself a hop man at all, but this brew was a very pleasant experience. The beer is orange, almost amber in color with a very hoppy nose. While very hoppy and bitter, the beer still had some nice malt sweetness to it which was a pleasant surprise. Fairly complex IMO and I enjoyed every sip. A great beer indeed.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Deep amber color, slightly hazy, with thick rocky off-white head, 2 fingers. Oily and exuberant flowery hops in the nose, along with some malt struggling against the big hops. Tastes immediatly bitter, with aggressive and oily, juicy hops, mostly flowery. Some sweetness as you drink on into it. Dry finish. Full body, smooth and slick mouthfeel, with a bite from the hops in the middle. Drinkable? Oh, yes. Gulpable.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured into a Victory Tulip glass.

A: Gorgeous dark red/light brown/toasty orange (all three of those colors had sex and created Hop Devil's wonderful shades).

S: Piney and floral with maybe some citrus biting through in the aroma. I think the several PBR's before this are numbing my senses a little.

T: The perfect blend of malt backbone with hop bitterness. Mildly floral and citrusy. Certainly not too much that an average macro drinker couldn't be swayed into appreciating heaven here on earth.

M: It is a somewhat creamy with a rather mild carbonation. I think it suits this beer well.

O: This is my go-to beer. I drink more of this than anything else. In my opinion, its the best readily available beer at a decent price where I live (central PA) and I think everything about it rocks. Great taste, great aromas (when Pabst aren't killing your senses), and a great value. Hell, even the devil with a hop for a head looks righteously awesome.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look- Dark golden to amber with a light tan head
Smell- Hops and citrus with a nice malt and wheat complement
Taste- Complex. Hops are balanced out with a sweet malty finish.
Feel- Light-Medium bodied despite color and malty finish.
Overall- Fantastic beer. The hoppy citrus flavor is balanced out by a sweet malty finish. Definitely worth a try and could be a go to brew.

HopDevil India Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown