Hop Devil Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

victorybeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,501 | Ratings: 7,200

I have to disagree with the experts on this one. This just didn't quite do it for me and I was dissapointed and felt the hophead experience wasn't there. That's what I get for looking at the "RateBeer" rating that many retailers are now posting in the beer cases next to the beers. For my palate, I think Troeg's Hopback Amber Ale is a better pick in this category. Just not hoppy enough for what I consider to constitute a great American IPA. I think this beer is *much* better on tap than in the bottle. With a name like "HopDevil" this beer should be sinfully hoppy!

Don't get me wrong - this was OK and quite drinkable, but compared to other offerings out there in the American IPA category, this one comes up average across the board to my taste buds. Again, a fine beer, but the line of better American IPAs is long and getting longer!

This beer is pure dynamite on tap - but average at best in the bottle. I have had enough of this in a bottle in different locales and over time to be statistically sound. What gives? anyone else notice this?

3.01/5  rDev -25.9%

Best by jul 17, 2011

A: pours a rusty orange ale with excellent clarity. Single finger peanut foam leans into a thin quilt of the same. Ringed lacing.

S: very malty for an ipa. My initial thoughts are how this reminds me of an ipa Called Indica by Lost Coast IIRC. Rich sweet and caramelly malts are complimented with some ruddy, grassy hops. A hint of aluminum. A little too malty for the style IMO.

T: good bitter pinch up front melts into a spiced malt profile. Fairly interesting. Some tastes of orange peels, hibiscus flower, tea (orange pekoe, room temp). More reminds me of an amped up amber with all the malt action.

M: medium to full bodied for the style. Low carb. Slick finish with a decent resonance.

O: looks good, smells and taste are more like an amber or red ale to me. Can't say I really care for this one.

3.02/5  rDev -25.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into an Ommegang 10 year anniversary tulip. Enjoy by Mar 18 2011.

Appearance: Pours a decent head, nothing spectacular, not bad either. Receding quickly. Dark orange and cloudy, not a lot of carbonation activity.

Smell: Light citrus on the nose. Not overwhelming. I can smell a little alcohol, like what I would expect from a Winter Warmer or something.

Taste: Definitely a bitter beer, but not quite the piney bitterness I was expecting/hoping for. I'm having a hard time putting my finger on a distinctive taste.

Mouthfeel: I'm disappointed. It is very watery and the carbonation is almost non-existent. It tastes/feels almost flat (and this is the second one I've tried tonight).

Drinkability: No problems here, but based on everything else, I'm not sure I want another.

Overall: This came as a recommendation from a friend when I told him I was picking up some Prima Pils. I want to enjoy Victory's offerings, as it is a relatively local brewery, but I seem to have a hard time finding really fresh tasting examples.

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

Golden-leaning copper topped by thin bone suds.
Malty nose (yes, malty). And fairly vacant too. Caramel toast with glimmers of herb-coated citrus fruits. Just a touch piney as well. It all seems so rote and unnoteworthy.

This is a highly-esteemed IPA?

Seriously?

Maltiness holds up well enough. There's goodly amounts of caramel-draped bread dough. So far, so good. It turns a bit toasty later on. Alright. Well done.
But then...
The hops dribble out. Premature ejactulation-style. Lightly piney and floral and citric. But not in any sort of cohesion. And without any force. The finish is tea-bittered, and weak.
The thinnish mouthfeel does not help matters.
I've had high regards for every other Victory product I've consumed. Hence, I entered with large expectations. But this....this left me scratching my head, and wondering why anyone gives a shit about it.
Maybe absolutely fresh makes all the difference. But right now, absolute indifference is all I feel.
Thanks, anyway, Bighuge, for the opportunity.

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

A - Cloudy orange, amber color. Nice creamy head that doesn't totally go away.

S - Sweet malts, hops, hops

T - For a name like Hop Devil, I was expecting more hops. Typical IPA here, but bitter than most.

M - On the heavy side, somewhat sticky

D - Decent drinkability

A decent IPA, not my favorite. Thanks to Tbn2 for trading this brew for me to try.

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

Appearance: Attractive amber leaning toward the red side. Small tan and cream head that refused to sustain itself. Not much lacing.

Smell: This one has a more malt based scent than most IPA's do. To be perfectly honest, I get no hop boquet whatsoever. What in the living hell is going on? Is all of my Victory stock old? This stuff is just not that damn good. Am I missing something? This is getting rediculous. Bottled Jan 14, 2005 what is it now? May 5, 2005. This stuff should still be somewhat fresh and flavourful.

Taste: Honey verging on sourness. Caramel. The hops are not too pronounced. Must be they wasted all of em in the Storm King. This is one weak IPA. No dryness in the finish. Weird. I hope this stuff is just old. I just don't see how these Victory beers became so highly reputed. IMHO unworthy of accolades.

Mouthfeel: Yeah it has one. It is fine and beer-like. Light to middy.

Drinkability: Good if you like beers that are not really any particular style. This thing is an abomination of sorts. Not on my list for future consumption, and certainly not on my all star IPA list. This was not a Victory for my taste. I am not trying to hate on this stuff, but I am disappointed.

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

Received from Abankovich in trade. Thank you.

This beer pours a deep amber with one finger of white head. This is a deeper color than most other IPA's I've encountered. It does leave very good lacing on my pint glass. Hops are the only thing I smell on this beer, but that isn't really a good thing. The hop scent is rather muted and not as bold as I was expecting. I don't really pick up any other secondary scents as well. The taste is very sweet upfront with a bit of caramel before the hops take over and assert themselves, but the hops fizzle out rather quickly and leave a tea-bitterness for the rest of the beer. I am rather unsatisfied with each passing drink. The mouthfeel is rather thin, but there is quite a bit of astringency that normally isn't found on IPA's.

I am not sure what I am missing on this one, but I am rather let down.

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Received as an extra from portia99. Thanks dude!

A: Pours a clear amber color with half an inch of off-white head that recedes quickly into a collar around the drink and light filming across the top. Has some carbonation up the glass.

S: Lots of hops... Grapefruit citrus, orange, grass, and a little caramel and biscuit malt.

T: Grapefruit hops in the initial taste. The mid-taste is dominated by caramel malt, and the finish is grassy hops with some grapefruit again. A simple and satisfying flavor.

M: Medium-bodied, with low-to-medium carbonation.

D: Pretty high, although it would depend on price. This is the kind of thing I wouldn't mind keeping around the hose for normal drinking, if it were locally available at a fair price. I wouldn't trade for it though.

08/12/2012
Grapefruit, Orange Peel, hops, hops hops.Dark Yellow/Orange.Nice strong hoppy, but drinkable beer.xCitizens Bank Park, Diamond Club, Bottom of the 3rd: Phils 3, Cards 2.

3.04/5  rDev -25.1%

Served in a pint glass. the beer is a clear amber with a thin off white head that thins to a film and leaves a bit of lacing.

Aroma out of the bottle is thick and floral and a bit citrusy. But that quickly fades. The remaining aroma is thinly hoppy and slightly vegetative. The flavor is fairly one dimensional, only piney hop bitterness stands out. The small malt backbone is bready and muted.

Carbonation is fine but the bitterness lingers in the mouth unpleasantly long. This isn't my kind of IPA.

3.04/5  rDev -25.1%

Thanks for this one soundbarrier.

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark amber with an average tan head. Slight stickiness on the walls of my pint glass. Neato comic book-esque packaging.

Smell: Lots of yeast mixed with a wet dog (kinda musty to me)

Taste: bready, yeasty with a fair amount of hops on the finish. Where's all the hops?

Mouthfeel: High carbonated and a bit waxy

Overall: Not enough hops to be called a "Hopdevil". The hops are either not here or hiding somehere. Nice, but not one that I'd run all over to get.

3.05/5  rDev -24.9%

$2.49 for a single 12 oz. at ABC

Allright, lets go ahead and give this bitch a whirl. I must warn you that in the past 3 days I have had Hopslam, Nugget Nectar and Jai Alai and I am not normally an IPA drinker.

A- Pours a nice clean dark orange. Pretty good looking for an IPA.

S- Not so much. The previous 3 I mentioned assaulted you with hop smell...always reminds me of a brew day...this one assaults you with bubbles you have to stick your nose in to try and get the "promised hoppiness"

T- Actually pretty clean. By no means the blast that other big IPA's carry but it delivers clean and crisp but subtle hops. I don't know, with the Nugget Nectar and the Hopslam I'm under the impression that you gotta 'drink this now!!' as the IBU's are gonna fade rather quickly. There is no push to get this brew out to people so I think that this could sit for a while and be the same...or maybe it already has sat a while for all I know.

M- good, like other nice IPA's (I guess, since I really don't drink them)

D- Not bad. I would not go out of my way for it, but considering it is available everywhere here in Florida and Victory is usually pretty solid, I would pick it up again. But for $11 a sicer I would probably get a Jai Alai since it is the loacl brew.

3.05/5  rDev -24.9%

I picked this up in a mixed six pack from Total Wine. This beer poured a copper color with a white head that lasted throughout. The nose is hops with some pine and citrus. The beer is smooth and the hops really come through. Very bitter towards the end. I enjoyed it but I don't think I could have more than a couple in one sitting because it's so dry at the end.

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a rocks glass a auburn hue with brief white head. There is a floral hoppiness balanced by a decent amount of malt. The brew could be a little more substantial on the body side of things but is average. Too much malt for my expectation of a "hopdevil". I expect a lot from AIPAs as they are often synonymous with DIPAs. There is not a substantial level of hop character and what hop character is present is diminished by the malt content. The malt sweetness is a disappointment for me in this interpretation.

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

I usually stay away from IPA beer but my friend had some of these so I thought to give it a try.

It poured a pale murky yellow with a nice head and decent retention. The smell was almost all citrusy hops and then the taste....not something I enjoyed. Almost no malt flavors just powerful lemon rind hop bitterness with a sharp dry to dehydrating finish. Very unbalanced, tasted like sucking on a hop pellet. I know this is an IPA but damn, just over the top and lacking any complexities. Anyone could over hop a beer and produce the same result. The mouthfeel was very crisp, loose and dry, about what I would expect for the style. I will praise this beer for its drinkability though. Despite its obnoxious hoppyness, it's surprisingly easy to drink and that is quite remarkable in itself.

This really wasn't an awful beer but like so many of this style it seems to have lost touch with what a beer really is, a malt beverage, hops should be used mainly for the preservative qualities and complement the malts. I guess I'll never understand the whole IPA hype.

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

A: Pours a rich copper orange color with a tiny bit of sediment that makes it slightly hazy. Minimal khaki colored head that dies off pretty quick. Awesome small bubble lacing is left behind.

S: Mainly pine hops and a touch of biscuit malt. It does have an odd soapy/spice smell to it.

T: Lots of bitter pine hops, no citrus or fruity hop taste at all. A touch of bread malt. Again, I'm getting an odd soapy taste, even more so then the smell that is off putting. One dimensional, no depth of flavor.

M/D: Medium body with moderate carbonation. Other than that nothing special. Drinkability is average at best because of the soap factor. Not sure what is causing this...Its not old, best by date of August 8th, 2010.

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

Yes!! Victory in Indiana!!! Pours a nice, shiny amber color with a short white head. Laces appropriately. Smells hoppy, but in a bit of lemon and cat-pee way. Somehwat sweet smelling too. Tastes hoppy and smooth, a nice green grass hop. Biscuity, bready malt backbone. Fusel alcohol on the finish. A bit surprising, as the flavors don't come together all that well. Bitterness lingers, along with a ghost of lemon juice. Medium bodied, a little heavy for the flavor. Well, I must say that im underwhelmed. It's ok, but its a lot messier of a beer than I prefer. Yeah, there are lots of hops, but its just not particularly balanced. Oh well, i know I love some of the other victory brews, so ill just wait for those to show up.

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

It's a good looking beer, nice deep red-ish color. Aroma is ok, hints at the barroom skankiness I don't enjoy in some beers. Taste is unbalanced with bitter hops, not in a good way. Finish is long and bitter. Mouthfeel is decent but for the awful bitterness that rings there. Drinkability is low, since you can't really drink anything else after this burns up your taste buds.

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

out for a happy hour with some co workers to celebrate a career move for a buddy. bottle poured a deep syrupy amber with a thin head. nose catches an almost barleywine smell of syrup. taste is of faded hops, but truth be told the barkeep presented this brew out of thin air when the beer I requested was out of stock so likely old, but no bottle date doesn't help the cause. more resembles a barley or old ipa, but that wasn't what I was looking for, so pretty mush just decent in my opinion, but not bad, but not something I will look for again.

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

The devil pours a darker hue that most, the cream head rises nicely, then fails through the session. The smell is an explosion of hops, a weird hint of funky caramel tree, very mysterious taste, the hops while noticable didn't come across fresh and alive, the malts were light and downplayed. Very similar to locak IPA (Rat City) Not bad, but better locally brewed IPA's.

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

I had this in bottles a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed. I figured I'd try it again while available on tap.

It's a bit dark in color for an IPA but I like it. The aroma is all business, nothing but hops. The taste is bitter but not an enjoyable bitter. A resiny, sharp, dirty, bitter. The Hop prescence is pronounced throughout the beer but I don't like it nearly as much as most IPA's. I love IPA's but this is downright funky. Their bittering hops must be high in the AA department, wow.

It's okay but I won't be ordering it again. There are much better options available.

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

Another amber-coloured beer with reasonable head and lacing.

Odour is lemony, malty (should add that the first sniff made me think of really artificial lemon cordial). Again quite yeasty. Golden syrup.

Taste is smooth but nondescript malt. Bit of leafiness and bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium with medium carb. Not bad.

I don't know how this has less flavour than their Oktoberfest (consumed prior). Not bad but at this stage I expect quite a lot more from an American IPA.

3.09/5  rDev -23.9%

A- light lacing that sits on top like lily pads? Nice amber/golden color, slightly cloudy with no carbonation

S - sweet malt smell with a little hop smell

T - hops with a well balanced malt flavor, thinking they used a roasted sweet malt, was thinking there would be more of a citrusy hop, buy more of a bitter hop

M - little bit chewier than what I like, but not rough

D - probably will only have one of these, bit to chewy for me

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours orange/brown (too orange and light for me to call it an amber). Awfully clear. Tiny white head with very durable lacing.
Smells like cascades, man.
Tastes a bit like cascades, too. Pretty bitter at the back and end. A bite to that.
A fine brew. I'd like to see it come out more even on the tongue. The tangy aftertaste - all over the sides and back of the mouth - could probably be cut a bit with (gasp) a bit more sweetness to it.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown