HopDevil India Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Ratings: 7,414 |  Reviews: 2,555
3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

This was my bottle review from a bit ago:
I didn't know this was considered an ipa. I would have thought it was a pale ale. As an IPA i would say it falls short. Not enough hoppiness, in aroma or flavor. HOwever, it is a decent beer and not a bad one for beer novices. Think sierra nevada pale ale.

---

I think the draft version is a little more bitter and I enjoyed it more. It is at my local bar and I'll definitely have it again.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

12 oz bottle poured straight into the bottom of a pint glass.

A - Nice adequate head of about one inch - not a lot given the aggressiveness of the pour but a very nice result. Amber/Caramel color, very clear for an IPA. Apparently well filtered.

S - Nothing outstanding and frankly I didn't give it much of an effort.

T - Soft malty taste with some citricy hops that linger.

M - Very sweet and mild for an IPA.

D - Very enjoyable. This doesn't weigh on the palate at all and can easily be consumed over a long period.

I'm not too impressed with the apparent filtering that they subject this beer to. I see nothing wrong with an abundance of yeast and hop residue in other IPA's and IIPA's.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Orange in color, with little or no head. Scents of hops and citrus. This is a very well balanced IPA plenty of hops both citrus and pine, also a strong malt backbone balances it out. The malts add a nice crisp breadlike flavor. Mouthfeel is oily. This is a very drinkable brew, I have no problem enjoying a 6 pack of it.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Cask at Trappeze in Athens.

Pours a slightly hazy copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of moderately grainy caramel malts with good amounts of floral and light pine hop aromas.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Mildly dry caramel malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by pine hop flavors. Midway through the sip the hop flavors turn more earthy as the spruce notes fade, carrying through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I was expecting more of this beer after having Hop Wallop a few times but the hops were surprisingly faint. A nice beer but not worth seeking out.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Copper colored with outstanding head retention. Head is creamy with and it has streaks of tiny carbonation which are consistent. Smells of a crisp hop with a spicy lemony note. Tastes like a lemon rind with a high amount of pilsner malt. Nice dry palate with good hop kick correct for an ipa. I can drink a few over a night nothing to get crazy with.

A-Dark amber with a small bubbly head.

S-Not as pungent as I remember. Floral hops. Malty sweetness. Slight booze. Spiciness.

T-Better than the smell in my opinion. Floral and pine hops overpower the slight caramel malt. Spice is apparent; booze is better masked in the taste.

M-Light to medium bodied. Smooth and mildly slick.

D-Easy drinker especially for 6.7%. Easy to drink a 6er of this.

3.51/5  rDev -13.5%

A - Nice copper apperance, red tint, good creamy white head.

S - Good floral armoa, with a tad bit of citrus, mildly sweet smelling.

T - Nice and blanced flavors of hops and malts, the hops do not over power the malts, mild bitterness left on the tounge for a lingering after taste but overall a very balanced ipa.

M - Medium bodied beer, nice cabination, tingly, mildy spicy shock that dissapates very quickly.

D - Good IPA, for beginner hopheads this is a nice balanced mildly hoppy IPA that would a good starting point on your journey to find the greatest IPA around (IMO) Not my favorite but it will not be the last time I dance with this devil. Cheers

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

I poured this from a bottle into a pint glass. It is a deep amber color with a nice tan head. It is quite impressive looking.

The smell is impressive too. The hops dominate the smell. It really makes my mouth water.

The taste is good, but not quite as good as I expected. I can taste the hops, but they kind of take a back seat to the malt.

The mouthfeel is good. It is a very drinkable beer. I have had this beer and the golden monkey out of a mixed 12 pack that I bought for $16. It also has the prima pils in it. I am really pleased with the value of this purchase. I will probably buy another mixed 12.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Bottle pours a dark clear amber brown with a decent amount of head. Tastes of slight malty hop bitterness with almost a little spiceyness in there too. Drinks pretty smooth and would be quite sessionable. Didn't wow me, but its solid. Glad I tried this one.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Very hungry and thirsty so this should be a treat. Served in an oversized snifter.

A- Beautiful copper-caramel-ruby leaving nice legs as I swirl it. Didn't get too much head on the first pour but I'm left with some trippy foam swirls and crown. Later pours all created a short lived head.

S- Candy orange. Hot alcohol a bit like bourbon without the barrel. Very spicy and sweet but clean.

I feel like a kid with a piece of candy in his hands. Can,t wait to taste.

T- A great unexpected bitterness dominates but there's still room for the candy. Pine, which I didn't get in the smell. Quite bitter, so it's not for everyone, but if bitter is your thing... very enjoyable. A little mineraly and grassy in the finish and after-taste. A few levels to this one.

M- Smooth. Mouthfeel starts off full but for some reason, I find it gets thinner in the end. Medium carbonation which foams up nicely. Lots of sweet stickiness. This is not dry.

D- Very good. Not if you don't like bitter but I for one, would like a few of these.

Very good beer. I think I enjoyed this bottled more than on draft.

3.77/5  rDev -7.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Poured amber color fairly clear. Aggressive pour only left a thin white head that left quickly. Bottle says to enjoy by Sept. 6 2010.

S - Caramel malt aroma with notes of pine hops. Malts are more present in the aroma.

T - Sweet caramel malts mixed with pine hops. Hard to tell which one is bigger. Interesting balance between the two though. For an IPA, I'd rather have more hops but still good flavor. A little bitterness towards the end of the drink.

M - Medium body. Little carbonation. Fairly smooth drink.

D - For a beer named hopdevil would have expected hops to take the lead in this beer. Not quite what I was expecting but still the balance makes it a solid beer.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from bottle into glass. Nice amber/copper color with little less than 1 finger of head and decent retention. Faint floral hops aroma with hint of citrus. - citrus noticeable in taste with hops and a lingering bitterness in after taste. Smooth and medium-bodied feel. Drinkability OK.

2.95/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Enjoy by Oct. 12, 2010. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a copper color w/ little head and lacing. Has a subtle fruity aroma. The taste is very bitter and unbalanced. Grapefruit notes w/ hints of carmel, pretty piney. Mouthfeel and drinkability is ok.

I suppose this just isn't my kind of IPA. The bitterness was just too much, and don't get me wrong, I like bitter beers. This beer is well brewed and a nice representation of the style, just not for me.

3.33/5  rDev -18%

I think I may have a bad six pack, very bitter, almost soap like aftertaste.

It pours an amber color with 1.5 inches of head that leaves a nice lacing down the glass.

Smells piny and sweet. A nice smelling IPA.

Taste is pleasant. Hop bitterness up front with a caramel sweetness in the middle. Aftertaste is like soap, and no I don't wash my glass with soap. Bought a 6 back 5 had this (1 a drain-pour) and 1 fantastic one. Awesome on tap.

Nice mouthfeel, nicely carbonated. Coats the mouth, but not overly so.

Drinkability suffers cause of the aftertaste.

Like I said, probably a bad six pack, and will be re-reviewed if I get one that isn't like this. Not very pleasant this time.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Enjoy by Sept 12, 2010 printed on the label.

Appearance: Pours an opaque dark caramel with ruby hints and a 2 finger light tan foamy head with nice retention. Excellent lacing throughout.

Smell: Caramel and floral hops are the most obvious with hints of grapefruit. Much sweeter smell than most IPAs.

Taste: Grapefruit bitterness with hints of pine up front. Slight hints of sweet and roasted malts in the middle followed by a hoppy bitterness reminiscent of lemon rind at the finish. Aftertaste is quite bitter in a good way.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Great drinkability. You could knock back a few without thinking twice.

Overall: Excellent IPA. Great representation of the style. I would definitely recommend this one.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Nice Golden Hue. about half an inch of head which recedes.

S - Has an earthy smell. A bit of pine as well, behind the dominant hops.

T - Slightly sweet citrus, with a back end of hops bitter.

M - Its a little clingy and remains more than I would like.

D - The smell, taste, and ABV are enough to make me want to return.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

12oz to glass

A- Clear amber color, with two fingers of off-white head, good retention and lacing.

S- Caramel, chocolate, floral hops, alcohol is present but not overpowering. Nice malt presence.

T- Smooth hopiness, warm malt tastes. Something of a sour citrus, not really lemon though. Molassas and carmel come out in the end, with the hops kicking back in the aftertaste. Very good.

M- Solid carbonation, nice and creamy, full bodied.

D- Not wonderful, average.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

pours golden with white head. smells great. slightly nondistinct fruity smells, definately sweet in anticipation. initial tastes are not too hoppy, light body for an ipa but overall medium with slight malty thickness. as the beer warmed, more of the lasting bitterness of hops became apparent, also the two-row grain sweetness. a solid balanced ipa and a good choice for hopheads. victory brewing hasnt disappointed me yet

-notes from 02/07

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

I've had many disappointing bottles of hop devil, so I was pretty sure I was going to opt for the other local brew on the drive through Pennsylvania, but the generous taste poured by the bartender at the Elephant and Castle convinced me a pint would be in order.

Beautiful almost clear golden color under an inch of head that melted slowly; lace all down the glass.

Nose is big pine and some sweetness of biscuit malt.

Wallop of a first sip, representing the keystone state well: aggressive coastal hops in a DFH 90MIPA kinda way but mellowing to a more midwestern APA style, certainly drier and less sweet and malty than the DFH.

On tap the devil is a totally different animal.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a dark copper with nice head and lacing. Smells of biscuit, piney, and earthy. Faint smell of yeast and malt. . A bitter bomb hits your taste buds with a slight resin and spicy finish. Despite the finish its clean and fresh. Very silky feel but not too heavy. A fantastic beer from a fantastic brewery.

3.62/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Appears a dark amber to copper color with a thick, off-white two inch head.

Smells oddly sweet. The malts really stand out, lots of caramel. There are also some nice hop malts, mostly pine and some earthy scents. Very well balanced overall. Something just seems off here. I thought maybe it was just the batch, but bought it a few months later and I'm getting the same scents this time. The taste is also fairly well balanced at first, but finishes very bitter. The hops don't seem to fit well with the rest of the flavors, and are actually kind of laid back, and slightly disappointing.

The mouthfeel is very creamy, full-bodied, and slightly below average in carbonation. It is actually quite drinkable because of the balance, but this would probably work better on an autumn evening, not a summer one. Overall, I've definitely had better, and this just doesn't seem to sit well with me.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance - hazy honey/copper in color. Produced Two fingers of head which dissipated rather quickly. Head is a creamy luxurious off white. Good amount of sticky lace.

Smell - floral and slightly piny hops, malt, and some light yeast. Strong grapefruit citrus.

Taste - Very balance IPA. Definitely bitter upfront but reined in by the sweet malt. Have no fear hop heads, as the malt fades the finish is pretty damn bitter. Virtually no detectable alcohol at all.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, oily on the tongue, with good medium carbonation. Favors linger on your palette.

Drinkability - very drinkable, this is an excellent beer and easily consumed in quantity. Having recently had a lot of DIPAs its great to have a complex and well balanced single.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Coppery color with tan head, which dissipates quickly. Some lacing.
Strong hop aroma, promising a good taste.
Strong hop flavor with a bit of malt to offset it. Hops are clear and crisp.
Mouthfeel is medium with little carbonation.
Very drinkable. Ice cold on hot a day, it makes a nice summer drink.
My first Victory nbrew and because of this I will try others.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

A terrific beer. Pours a lovely amber-red color, with only a minimal amount of head. Hop aromas are more spicy rather than citrus. Definitely different from the usual West Coast IPAs I drink. The taste is excellent. A well done blending of malt character and hop taste. A smooth, almost sharp bitterness that persists throughout but never overwhelms. My tongue keeps dancing back and forth between the malt and hops. Love it. I wish I could pick up what hops are used in this, but the only hint I can say with some certainty is that there is some Chinook in here. I probably haven't been able to brew with the other hops used here (Nuggett? Some English hops?) The drinkability on this one is just what you'd expect for an IPA. Good alcohol content, and a great body that makes this a great drink even in hot weather. A beer I'd get again in a heartbeat.

2.16/5  rDev -46.8%

A - Poured a dark amber/copper into a clean pint glass. Appears to be lightly carbonated w/o much head.

S - Smells like a bum farted onto a pine cone... Seriously... The bottle reads "Enjoy by Sept 19 2010"

T - Cheesy hop flavor, combined with a saltwater taffy malt character, and a lingering resinous bitterness.

M - Medium body, flaccid carbonation

D - I've heard good things but please stop shipping your beer to California if it's going to arrive ruined.

HopDevil India Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown