Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,492 | Ratings: 7,165
3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Had this on tap last evening while at Mahar’s. Brew had a nice deep amber color with a nice light tan head that had very good retention and left lacing through out the brew. The aroma had a strong floral and citrus hop note that did not seem as pungent as when served from a bottle. The taste, a sharp hop hit up front that dominated most of the experience, but I was able to catch enough of a malt taste that tries to balance it out, it fails but with this type of brew that is expected. The finish is still hop, a nice finish to this brew. Ok, now for the thing that has kind of thrown me a bit, I like this brew better from the bottle. Not sure if this brew was getting to its last legs at Mahar’s but it seemed to lack the character of the bottled version that I know much better. Will try it again on tap in the future and will edit my findings if the differ!

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

The picture of The HopDevil on the label is very well done, great concept.
The pours a deep copper color with slightly off white head that sticks around for a while, then leaves sparse spatters of sticky lace.
Nice hop variety goes right to the nose: citrus, grassy, and piney aromas are all there.
The first thing that I notice about the flavor, well first thing after the hops, is that the malt presence is actually there. All of these wonderful hop qualities are kept in balance by sweet malt; they compliment each other very well and make this a very enjoyable brew.
The mouthfeel is medium with an almost perfect carbonation.
The drinkability is unbelievable, this well-balanced IPA comes in at 6.7%, which in my opinion isn't very high, but high enough to get the job done and low enough to not over do it. Great IPA....

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

This is one of my favorite beers and probably the best IPA that I've had, although Duclaw Venom is basically a clone.. A bright orange/amber color and light brown head. It has a very floral and citric hop flavor and aroma. Very refreshing for a beer of moderate alcohol content, this beer goes down very well, full of flavor and very refreshing. It also leaves a nice buzz very quickly at 6.7 abv. Being one of the most flavorful, delicious beers and only 6 dollars per sixer at College Square liquors in Westminster MD this is a top notch brew that will not disappoint any hop head.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

The beer poured crystal clear light amber brown. The head was just off-white and lasted well to lace the glass.

The aroma was malty with a strong citrus malt presence which backed off as the head fell.

The flavor was malty with a strong hop presence in bitterness and flavor to balance the malt. The bitterness does not outshine the malt and is well done. The hop flavoring is in check and does not turn the flavor into a phlem stripper as some IPA's try to do.

The finish was dry and pleasantly bitter into the aftertaste. The body was medium.

12 ounce bottle. Enjoy before April 30 04.

I must say I have had this beer on tap many, many times and it certainly is fresher than my bottled example 10 days past the enjoy before date, but the only missing component is the hop aroma and perhaps some of the hop flavor. Still a great IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

This one has a dark amber colored body, bubbly cream head on top. The scent is oily, sappy, and loaded with hops. For the main course of the taste, this one is featuring delicious hops, with a slick oil feel on the tounge. Some orange characteristics, slightly acidic. Not as intensly hoppy as say hop ottin, i think this beer is better blended than some of the other hops monsters. Great beer.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured a clear light amber color with a sticky cream-tan colored head, good retention. Aroma was of spicy piney hops and a slight alcohol sweetness. Enormous hop taste, but somehow balanced out with a sweetness mid-palate, finishing with a dry spicy hop aftertaste and a twinge of alcohol warmth. Mouthfeel is heavy to medium, and carbonation is low. This is quite a treat for any hop-lover, although it is a bit extreme otherwise.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Many thanks to PSUDREW for sending this to me in a trade!

Appearance: Amber/copper color, with about a finger of head. There was light sticky lacing as the head disappeared.

Smell: Piney hop aroma that wasn't quite as strong as expected given the taste.

Taste: Wow, what a beer! Great piney/grapefruity hop flavor with a nice malt balance. Also detected a slight citrus in the lingering aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium/slightly creamy mouthfeel with nice carbonation.

Drinkability: I could sit out in the warm Arizona spring and drink this all day with some meat from the grill!

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

appearance: dark copper with a head that stays put.

smell- rich hoppy smell

taste- damn. this beer is aggressive. it comes hard with the hops, has some spice to it, lemon grass, honey dew, and it has a mild maltiness to it. awesome taste, the hops linger like a perfect kiss.

mouthfeel- hoppy and rich. a bit creamy

drinkability - despite the high ABV this stuff goes down great. i once tailgated with these badboys at an eagles game and it was perfect

good with a cigar as well

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

This beer presents in a 12oz. brown bottle with the freshness date marked. It pours a one finger beige head that has good retention and laces nicely. The beer has a very slight haze and is dark amber in color. A great looking beer.

The aroma is a beautiful thing. A strong hop smell that almost reminds me of freshly cut grass. A great aroma. The first taste is perfect. Slightly sweet malt at first that smoothly transitions into a perfectly strong hop bitterness. Good hop character that is not overwhelming. The beautiful bitterness lasts for quite awhile in the back of the throat. Magnificently balanced. The mouthfeel is medium in body and goes well with the beer. A incredibly drinkable beer.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours to a semi-cloudy medium-amber, forming a poofy, whipped dark biege head with excellent retention and clumpy lacing. Carbonation is moderate. Aroma is citric, fruity, leafy, juicy, piney hops with a touch of cannabis skunk. Very nice, running the gamut of hop aromas. Mouthfeel is fresh, clean, somewhat soft, with a touch of hop astringency in the finish, and a medium-dense body. Taste is wonderful....full of the juicy sweet fruity hops I mentioned but exquisitely balanced with a smooth malt body with caramel overtones and a little residual sugars to balance out the hops during the lightly toasty finish. Full of hop flavor, yet never caustic or acidic, this is a masterly brew. Bitterness level is very nice, but has a touch of fatiguing leafy harshness towards the end.

In my experience, this IPA is 2nd only to Two-Hearted. This is an amazingly well-crafted brew that I could gladly drink all night. The hops are intoxicating, yet never overbearing. This brew makes me smile from ear to ear. World-class.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: Dark golden brown with a three-finger head. Looks pretty intimidating.
Smell: A little less hoppy than I thought, still pretty present though.
Taste: A big blast of hops followed by a big blast of bitterness. This one leaves the mouth pretty dry.
Mouthfeel: Perfectly carbonated.
Drinkability: I was a little let down by this IPA, but it's still good and can be enjoyed in most situations.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours to a frothy, permanent head and orange color. Aroma was typically hoppy. Flavor was more complex than the typical American IPA, with distinctive British fruitiness and spicy hop flavor mingled with malty sweetness. Finishes nicely bitter and refreshing. A very good bottled IPA. This stuff must be even better on tap.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

This is my first brush with a victory beer. I was very excited to taste this beer after reading so many great reviews of this brewery. I picked up a 6 of this for $7.30 (after tax) from a wholesaler here in Virginia Beach.

Poured out real nice, creating a frothy, thick head that rested gently for a long period of time. The color was a rich copper- slighlty orange.

Mouthfeel was medium, with citrus flavors reminiscent of lemon and orange coming through. It reminded me slightly of "Three Floyd's Alpha King". Very crisp and zesty; easy to drink. The hops were distinct, but not overbearing. All in all, it was a very refreshing, well balanced beer that I am sure I will enjoy again and again!

....I can't wait to try the Storm King Stout!

3.82/5  rDev -5.9%

A very solid IPA, and one step away from a truly great beer.

Pours a little cloudy, with a small, but sticky head. Deep roasted colors are a feast for the eyes.

Smell of toasted grains and caramels followed by a big wallop of hops.

Feels nice and chewy in the mouth, small hints of of sweetness, caramel, and roasted malts. Sometimes notes of Cotten candy pop out. The hops come on big in the back of the mouth, rocking all over the senses. Sometimes they feel just too apbrasive though. It's great, but a touch too much for me.

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

This is a beautiful beer. Nice head, off-white some what brown, leaves a nice lace on the side of the glass. Smells wonderful, there must be hops in there. And there most certainly are. The taste is amazing, lovely hops exploding all over the taste buds-spicy: tastes graet and feels great This has become one of my favorites.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

April '04 review:
Tan head atop this dark copper colored beer.
Bold aroma of piney, floral hops with pale caramel malt underneath.
Big piney, floral hop flavor. Pale caramel malt backbone that falls a bit short of balancing this beer. Relatively smooth, yet very bold and hoppy.
Good mouthfeel and drinkability.
Maybe not quite as high up on the chart now that I've sampled more IPA's, but still darn good.

11/02 review:
I mandated a pitstop at Victory's while driving through PA on a family vacation. I had the Hop Devil on tap and brought some home. This is probably my favorite IPA. Agressively hopped, but not overly bitter with an awesome flavor. Nice aroma. Beautiful coppery color I love in my IPA's and pale ales. This is one of those beers I appreciated more and more the more I drank. It left me longing for more. Much to my delight, they now distribute to Ohio. I must admit that overall, I wasn't impressed with many of Victory's other beers. Not that they were bad, but the Hop Devil and their Storm King Imperial Stout seemed to be a notch or 2 above the rest of their lineup. But the Hop Devil is absolutely top notch and always welcome in my refrigerator.

The Hop Devil pours a copper-orange with a pillowy off-white head that has good retention and exhibits some lacing.

Its aroma is strong hops with a nice citrus balance, along with some malty cookie underneath.

The taste is fruit and bready malt initially followed by a big piney hop bang. The hops are nice and strong with a lingering bitter taste, but the beer remains very nicely balanced. More malts come out as the beer warms. It has a nice smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

Overall, this is an excellent IPA.

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

Enjoy by May 13, 04 (sampled 4/14/04). Bottle wasn’t quite full, a lot of headspace. Given recent posts on how this beer doesn’t age well, this might be a factor.
Aroma: Combination of spicy and fruity hops with a hint of malt base.
Appearance: Nice clear amber with yellow tinged edges. Multi-sized bubble light tan head that left spots of lace as it receded, but not much.
Flavor: The malt is subtle but really keeps the hops in check. I found that the malt started to show late in the beer as it started to warm. Hops are of course the main show, but their act is somewhat restrained. This really struck me as more of a pale ale than an IPA. The hop taste is well presented, but just a little low-key with some tea like flavors.
Mouthfeel: Noted some hop oil in the feel and a little alcohol burn in the finish of this medium to heavy bodied beer. Oily coat lasts. The beer is pretty smooth and soft.
Overall Impression: Wow, what a let down. I paid big bucks to get this shipped to me given the reputation it had, and while it nicely presented a hop taste, there just wasn’t any “bang”. Drinkability doesn’t suffer, I’d gladly drink these at length, but I’m not ordering any more. If it was the local tap, I could see getting excited about this drinkable IPA, but the beer just was too mild mannered. Hop DEVIL? Devil took my $20 bill and vanished in the air. I just don’t see this as a top 20 beer. Good, yes. Outstanding? Not to me.

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

Golden-leaning copper topped by thin bone suds.
Malty nose (yes, malty). And fairly vacant too. Caramel toast with glimmers of herb-coated citrus fruits. Just a touch piney as well. It all seems so rote and unnoteworthy.

This is a highly-esteemed IPA?

Seriously?

Maltiness holds up well enough. There's goodly amounts of caramel-draped bread dough. So far, so good. It turns a bit toasty later on. Alright. Well done.
But then...
The hops dribble out. Premature ejactulation-style. Lightly piney and floral and citric. But not in any sort of cohesion. And without any force. The finish is tea-bittered, and weak.
The thinnish mouthfeel does not help matters.
I've had high regards for every other Victory product I've consumed. Hence, I entered with large expectations. But this....this left me scratching my head, and wondering why anyone gives a shit about it.
Maybe absolutely fresh makes all the difference. But right now, absolute indifference is all I feel.
Thanks, anyway, Bighuge, for the opportunity.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

This poured to a nice brownish orange with an outstanding head. It's leaving a thick lace that looks great.

The smell has just a touch of pine along with that nice punch of hops. The hops do dominate but it's still pretty well blended. Alcohol becomes evident in the finish.

Not quite perfect, this is still a very good beer

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

While going to see a friend's band perform at the North Star bar, I was pleasantly surprised to find this on tap. It poured out a hazy copper color with a creamy thick semi-tan head. The smell was dominated by a sweet-fruity aroma with a sweet malt undertone. The taste was very similar to that of the aroma, as it was full of bitter hops and some spices. While the hops are over-powering, they are not overwhelming at all. The mouthfeel is extremely smooth. I could easily sit back and enjoy several of these before I realized how many I actually had. Kudos to Victory for creating this wonderful IPA!

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Wonderfully hoppy bouqet emanating from a tall, light peach head with great retention, leaving moderate lacing. Deep caramel-amber body is pretty clear. It's full for this style, with moderate carbonation. Can't detect the spice the label claims is in here, the only shortfall. Amazingly heavy with malts balanced well with the hops, fruity undertones stimulating the palate. An interesting brew, and although I like my IPAs extremely hoppy, this is an excellent example of the style; very rich and full of flavor.

And hey, isn't the illustration on the label the cutest thing? Hops with horns and a devilish smile, quite characteristic of this brew. If you haven't tried IPAs, try this, then the Dogfish 60, and work your way up. Once you go hop, you never stop.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

I'm not a big fan of IPAs. So, I was ready to be disappointed with all of the hype. But I wasn't disappointed. This is probably the best IPA I've had.

I had it in a bottle ($3.50) at Monk's in Philly.
It was darker than I was expecting from an IPA. It was dark in Monk's but, to me, it still looked more dark than than golden.
Lots of hops obviously, but I don't think they kill you. They balance it well enough (I guess with the high alcohol content? -I know it's probably in a beer 101 article).

If you like IPA you'll like it...if you don't like IPA you might like it anyway.

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

Ahh Hopdevil, how I love thee.

I'm a fan of the IPA style of beer, and I believe that Hopdevil is exemplary of the style. Big on malt and hops, this beer satisfies.

The pour reveals a pretty amber color, fairly clear with only a hint of haze (I can read this screen, albeit backwards, through my pint glass). The aroma is strongly hoppy, with a bit of malt behind it. A half-inch or so of head forms, then diminishes to a lacy covering. A good bit of lacing occurs on the side of the glass as the beer inevitably dwindles within.

The first taste is hoppy in flavor, and surprisingly well balanced between the bitterness and malty sweetness. One normally expects an IPA to be hoppy, and this one is, but not to the detriment of the malt base. The mouthfeel is substantial but not cloying, with hop oils playing a leading role. The sweetness of the malt and bitterness from the hops leave a very balanced sensation, from beginning to end. Carbonation is spot on, and supports the mouthfeel perfectly.

Overall, this beer is extremely satisfying, and well worth the $8ish per sixpack at which i can acuire it locally. It has become a staple in my beer fridge. Definitely one of my favorite, and most drinakable, commercial IPAs. (The other is Tupper's Hop Pocket).

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a dark golden, yellow color with quick, but generous head...a head that sticks to the glass for the duration of the beer. Smells exciting -full of hops, hops, and probably some more hops.

So why not? I took a sip and of course the beer was jumping in my face with hops. I was glad. I like the hops - and this beer delivers.

BUT(and there is always a but), as delicoius as this beer is, they didn't seem to bother to provide a complex series of hops. I have enjoyed some IPAs and other hoppy style beers lately which provide hits of hops to different areas of the tongue and mouth. This beer does not do that. This beer simply beats you square in the mouth and surrounds your whole mouth with hops.

So in short, good in flavor, poor in subtlety.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown