Hop Devil Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,499 | Ratings: 7,193
3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours hazy coppeer with 2 fingers of fluffy light tan head, very little lacing. With a beer named Hopdevil I was definately expecting more hops from my first wiff. The scent was a bit weak and balanced by sweet malt. Taste is also more balanced than expected. Definitely bitter and filled with citrus and spicy hops, but there is quite a bit of malt complexity. Finishes with a blunt bitterness and peppery spice. Mouthfeel leaned toward dry and thin. Not hard to drink but I wouldn't care for two of these in a row.

3.51/5  rDev -13.5%

A - Nice copper apperance, red tint, good creamy white head.

S - Good floral armoa, with a tad bit of citrus, mildly sweet smelling.

T - Nice and blanced flavors of hops and malts, the hops do not over power the malts, mild bitterness left on the tounge for a lingering after taste but overall a very balanced ipa.

M - Medium bodied beer, nice cabination, tingly, mildy spicy shock that dissapates very quickly.

D - Good IPA, for beginner hopheads this is a nice balanced mildly hoppy IPA that would a good starting point on your journey to find the greatest IPA around (IMO) Not my favorite but it will not be the last time I dance with this devil. Cheers

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A- clear orange color with decent head and mild carbonation.

s- citrus fruits ( grapefruit ) hoppy.

T- I am a bit biased on this on as I drink Dipa's regularly. I felt for this style it was very hoppy the citrus smell really carried through. moderate bitterness and dry aftertaste.

M- Very smooth.

D- could def drink a decent amount easily. Very refreshing and a bitterness that makes you want to drink more and more.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

The lacing and head retention of this IPA was great. Taste was of pine and spice. I had this right around the holidays so the taste fit right in with the cold weather. Alcohol content was just right and obscured by the rounded flavor. Very easy to drink and quick for a buzz. It was a bit on the bitter side of course, so the more I drank, the more I wished I had a less hoppy beer to pace with. A good example of the style.

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

cold bottle to pint glass-

pours golden brown with a nice foamy white small bubble head that leaves nice lacing going down the glass.

has a nice bitter citrus aroma.

has dry grapefruit as the dominant flavor... nice well rounded bitterness with just enough sweetness to keep the funk in check.

coats the tongue nice and slow and has a pleasant lingering aftertaste.

grabbed this guy on accident... I had always been turned off by the label! I was pleasantly surprised . I will most likely drink this again soon. on purpose next time even!

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

Pretty red-orange hue with significant carbonation and a silky cream-colored head with scattered, arachnoid lacing. Nice malty sweet and flowery nose with a subtle hint of diacetyl and light caramelization. Very well-balanced flavor with great cherry-caramel maltiness and subdued hop profile for an American IPA. This review is based on a less than fresh sample consumed two weeks after the drink before date and I actually prefered this one over the many fresh samples that I've had in the past. Moderate cellaring took some edge off of the hop character and really opened up the malt base. A great American IPA that still pays homage to its English ancestors, particularly when its allowed to mature in a nurturing environment.

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

burnt brown pour with slightly discolored frothy head. head almost looks like guinness's. body is very dark for this style. most IPA's are a lighter brown to resemble their pale hoppy flavor. this devil is extremely dark brown sort of a mahogany as opposed to the typical tanned beech wood color you would expect.

hops explodes from my pint glass. cascade hops especially. almost burns the nose. not much else to comment on aside from that.

the aroma is definetly an indication of how this brew is going to go down. great punch of hops which mellows into a dilluted spice which i'm assuming comes from the yeast. between these two big flavors it's difficult to pick up anything more. hops fans rejoice!!

lots of carbonation mixed in with spicey hops and yeast makes this one an interesting adeventure. swishing around the pallette is a tad sluggish. that slight hesitation makes the bold flavor of this beer even more present. never the less it goes down extremely well.

if you love hops or have enjoyed IPA's this is an easy decision. lovely beer, specially for my fellow hops addicts. this is my craft brew standby. whenever i'm having trouble deciding i goto the devil and you should too.

thank you victory.

3.76/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a dark, cloudy orange, with an off white tannish head. Very foamy on top and appears good and refreshing. The aroma is a bit lacking in the head but does have a nice hoppy undertone that is sweet but not quite citrus. I just found myself wishing for a more dominate smell of hops.

This IPA I found had a more roasted flavor than I am used to in the style. A nice change from the ordinary. Good amount of carbonation giving it a medium body that left with a strong bitter finish. Thoughts of oranges came to mind, with a slite alcoholic taste that is more masked by the hops and malts.

I quite enjoyed this beer and would pick up another six pack when able. I would also be interested in trying this one on tap.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Rich, balanced, satisfying. Those are the first three words that come to mind when I take a sip of Victory's HopDevil. This is a big American IPA that get's it right. I don't see Victory very often out here on the west coast but I'll have to start seeking them out.

Tasting Notes: I generally think appearance is overrated but this is a beautiful beer. The reddish copper hue seems to glow from within. If there's a weakness it's the nose (also overrated, especially on Beeradvocate...smell gets 20% but drinkability gets 10%!?!?) which is almost off-putting. The taste is sublime. Bold but balanced, with a nice long finish that reminds me of the last note of A Day In The Life. Mouthfeel and drinkability are wonderful.

Recommended Music Pairing: Dr. John - Right Place Wrong Time

3.16/5  rDev -22.2%

Hop Devil pours a wonderful red-tinged-orange, with a sticky white head with decent lacing.

The nose is much heavier on the malt than I initially expected with roasty and carmel notes dominate and then relinquish a small amount of citrusy hops.

On the first taste I experience kind of what the nose was whispering to my ears, sweet grain bill and a uniform bitter from the hops but nowhere near the character I expect from that style.

The carbonation is decent and ties things together but overall not an epiphany kind of beer.

I should have had a more level head going into this review, but from the small amount of hype surrounding this beer I had my hopes set on hops. I recommend picking up a loose 12oz bottle from you local grocer as an entire sixer of this stuff will put a dent in your wallet.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a dark copper color with off white head.

Smell is everything one expects from an IPA. Grapefruit and orange citrus are most prominent, with piny notes. Sweet malty backbone comes through but the hops take center stage.

Robust bitterness is immediately present on the taste, doesn't wait till the finish to come out. The bitterness is far from overwhelming however, and works well with the rich caramel malt palate all the way through. bitterness becomes more pronounced on the finish along with all the hop flavors present in the aroma-grapefruit, orange, and pine. Lasting bitterness on the aftertaste is assertive but still keeps me coming right back for more.

Light/medium body with appropriate carbonation to match the malt. Overall a solid IPA and very balanced. Try it if you can get it.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a beautiful yeasty-hazed amber into the glass with a thin head, retaining to the very last pull. Cascade hops and grapefruit to the nose. Nice deep hoppiness that leaves the mouth pleasantly satiated. Leaves a "peppery" good medium-lasting bitter finish. For an IPA, the hops are worked in nicely, and not overwhelmingly off-balance in any way. Nice job here. I wish it were a bit more complex in the taste dept., but it’s definitely a great brew.

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: Nice clear orangish color with a pale head that dissipates quickly. Good carbonation but little head retention.

Smell: Pleasant citrusy, earthy aroma with just a hit of malt and the end. Not overpowering but very present.

Taste: Much like the smell. Huge notes of citrus. Piney hops are present too. Malty toward the finish with a bitter, dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Excellent! Full bodied, very well carbonated and light enough to be
refreshing.

Overall: Excellent IPA and a great example of the style. An easy drinker that has a great aroma and full of flavor. I would've like a little more head retention and maybe a slightly more pronounced aroma but still one I'll definitely drink again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear amber with a fluffy off-white head.

The smell is bold and a little fruity. It has an under-tone of blackberry jam and an over-tone of citrus.

It provides a medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

The taste is hoppy and the malt is there but takes the backseat in this brew. I can taste fresh citrus and it provides a medium to medium-high bitterness with a slightly dry finish. There is none of the berries in the taste, but has a mellow. little sweet and smooth feel to it.

Not for the faint of heart or macro-drinker, this brew is great for good-beer-lovers that want a little edge and have a thing for layered tastes of hops.

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

I never consider myself a hop head. I am not a big fan of overly hopped beers, as i feel they lack balance. That being said , i have been seduced by the mystical hop devil!. Victory Brewing is a top notch brewer. They really work hard to produce beautiful beers, and hop devil is no exception. I love the balance of this beer, you cant miss the big hops in the glass, rich amber color and floral bouquet, the smell of hops wafting from my glass. But the balance in the mouth is perfect. This beer is a winner all around. You can feel the love that the 2 brewmasters from victory put into there craft. Good job fellas!

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Heard good things, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Appearance: Rich amber color. Pours a nice head that slowly dissipates, but doesn't leave.

Smell: Nice hoppy smell, get floral notes, but not a real strong aroma. If it tastes like it smells, it should be good.

Taste: Good hoppy flavor, but I can also taste the malt. Some light berry notes in the background. I like it.

Mouthfeel is good, not a lot of carbonation. I could drink about 2 of these at a time, then I would have to switch to something a little less hoppy.
Very good IPA, didn't use to be a fan, but its because of beers like this that I am starting to really enjoy IPA's.

HopDevil Ale pours an amber-orange out of the bottle with a cool looking hop devil on the label. Not surprisingly, hops are in charge here. There is a pleasant citrus, grapefruit, orange hopiness that predominates with only a hint of malt in the background. Dry on the finish with more hops.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from a bottle (enjoy by June 16, 2010) into my Brooklyn Brewery pint glass

A: Pours a nice amber color with a moderate head that diminishes into a sticky rim around the glass. Overall decent, but not great lacing down the glass.

S: Smells of floral and spicy hops and some sweet malts.

T: Taste is an amalgamation of sweet and bitter hops that are somewhat spicy and herbal and open up into lemon rind, and a nice bready malt backbone. There is a mild soapiness component to the otherwise perfect finish.

MF: Average mouthfeel with kind of a long finish.

D: A very refreshing beer, but I must say that I think it is overrated. To that end I think that this is a very good beer and a good IPA, but it doesn't exhibit the particular qualities that I look for in an award-winning IPA.

However this was amazing with a spicy stir-fry, the alcohol was completely hidden, and I definitely sessioned this devil.

3.24/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Medium Amber Orange with moderate opacity

Two finger head reducing to one in a minute.

Bright grassy and hoppy aroma

Strongly hopped, tart almost an asafetida fore taste; anise, white pepper, grapefruit middle; lightly bitter aftertaste with salt and garlic at the roof of the mouth

Juicy and spicy with a slight effervescence

A good strong hopped ale suitable for pork, spicy foods like jerk or Thai, or BBQ sauced burger.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just finished a sixer of this brew, and I liked it more as each bottle went down. I like hoppy beers, but not really to the point where I consider myself a hophead. At first the hops are a little shocking (even though you have to expect them from a beer called HopDevil), but once you get over the initial pop this turns out to be a fairly balanced beer. This is exactly what a great beer should be: Interesting flavor that has such depth that you discover something new each time you try it. And keeps you looking forward to the next one.

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

A-Pours a rich, clear amber with a decent off-white head.

S-Not as much going on here as I would expect. Light floral hops, with an even lighter slightly sweet maltiness.

T-Leads off with a slight sweet malt, right before the hoppy bitters kicks in. Not exactly a perfect balance, but ineresting none the less.

M-Medium bodied, dry, and light carbonation.

D-This is a fairly drinkable beer. If you enjoy a moderately hopped up brew, than this is worth a try.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

This Hop Devil pours a coppery red color, and with a little help, forms a nice 1 finger medium bodied head. There is some nice lacing that looks like ink blots forming down the side of the glass as I sip.

The beer smells delicate with some hints of orange. It tastes bitter. Lemon a grapefruit dominate. Malt is hard to detect, but I taste some caramel in the background. To me, this beer does not have enough character to back up the smooth bitterness. It leaves a dry metallic sensation on my tongue. The mouthfeel is a tad thin and slightly under carbonated.

I will have no problem enjoying the rest of my 6 pack, but I had higher expectations of this beer. I'll give it another try in the future.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to kegatron and jctribe35 for sending one of these for the NFL Survival LIF. This bottle is stamped best by Dec 30 08. Poured into McChouffe tulip. Pours a translucent amber orange. 2" sticky looking frothy rocky-topped orange-tinted head. Leaves spotty clumps of lace. Aroma is of clean floral and spicy hops, notes of sweet malt come through. Taste is very hoppy up front, spicy on the tip of the tongue. A little more malty on the midpallate. Finishes very spicy, with a long resinous finish. High carbonation gives it a medium-full mouthfeel, frothy, creamy, soapy on the finish. Easy drinking for fans of hops.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Holy Hops, Batman! This beer is insane in the membrane. It looks OK, it smells OK, but the initial sip sent sent me on a spin. The aftertaste is nothing but pure hoppyness. Even after it goes down the hatch, the hops linger behind and are 2 legit 2 quit.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

On tap at mellow mushroom in dublin oh. Saw this on tap and had to try it.
Appearance is a hazy orange, with minimal head. Good lacing though.
Smell is not too strong compared to other ipa's. Columbus brewing ipa is much stronger.
Taste is not too bitter, rather smooth for an american ipa which I like. I also prefer bitterness as well but this over is nice.
overall I could definitely get this beer again. I'd like to try it in a bottle to see if there are any differences.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown