Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,492 | Ratings: 7,165
4.15/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz glass into a large pilsner glass, this beer comes out dark brown and smooth, with 2-finger head that stays for a while.

Aroma: Enticing, hoppy aroma, albeit rather weak.

Taste: Can taste some malts, but they are far overpowered by the hops, which are very tasty and a bit spicy, but not overwhelming or overly bitter. Leaves a hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Thick, slightly carbonated, bitter tang. A nice mouthfeel is one of my favorite aspects of IPA's and other hoppy craft beers. This one does not have the best of all IPA's but holds its own.

Victory HopDevil is an excellent IPA that I would recommend as a must-drink for any hophead, and you'll want to drink it several times again. While being a great example of a hoppy beer, it is not overwhelmingly bitter, and I would even recommend it to one hoping to be introduced to the wonderful world of hops.

2.2/5  rDev -45.8%

All in all not a great taste. They threw a ton of spices together and prayed... an overpowering taste of hops. Very heavy flavor. I guess a lot of people are into that though. Not me though, not a smooth beer and certainly not good flavor. I would not recommend this overpriced and overrated beer to anyone.

3.82/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Decent IPA. I was expecting the hops to be more distinctive in this beer, but it was more or less an average IPA. I guess the name of the beer had me expecting more, so in that sense I'm a bit disappointed... But not a bad IPA nonetheless

I liked this one. Nice deep copper color. Nice head and great hoppy smell. The hoppy fragrance got me. I first had this on tap in Harrisburg, PA and just found it here. Not my favorite IPA but my selection of IPA's here in VA is somewhat limited. This is one of the better ones available to us. I'll definitely buy it again.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

This beer presents in a 12oz. brown bottle with the freshness date marked. It pours a one finger beige head that has good retention and laces nicely. The beer has a very slight haze and is dark amber in color. A great looking beer.

The aroma is a beautiful thing. A strong hop smell that almost reminds me of freshly cut grass. A great aroma. The first taste is perfect. Slightly sweet malt at first that smoothly transitions into a perfectly strong hop bitterness. Good hop character that is not overwhelming. The beautiful bitterness lasts for quite awhile in the back of the throat. Magnificently balanced. The mouthfeel is medium in body and goes well with the beer. A incredibly drinkable beer.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

On tap at Firewaters in Atlantic City, N.J.
As were some other reviewers, I was very surprised at how well-balanced this beer was. It reminded me a lot of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, which is a good thing. Probably a bit hoppier than SNCA, but the hops are not overwhelming as I feared. Drinkability quite high. I would definitely buy this beer if I could find it anywhere in my area.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Label - I have to say it is my all time favorite , I love the picture of the HOP with the eyes, Love the flame colors behind the Devil. This beer to date has been nearly my all time favorite, and ironically, the first time I had it I had no idea how good it was. This beer (at this time) is my (largely unqualified) bench mark for IPAs

A - The is a great looking beer. Dark red bronze look to it. Big head upon pour, nice lacing. Ive swirled this one a few times.

S - Smells like hops as it should

T - Hoppy, some sweetness to it. You taste the booze on almost every swig. I have a great respect for this brew. It was actually the beer that moved me to the APAs and the IPAs.

M - Full , Creamy- but not overdone

D - Clearly a session beer, Ive proved it many times. I think this is a quality beer

Last point - I had this beer at the pub the night of the 10 year anniversary. Nothing like the bottle. I need to get there again to verify my suspicion that this beer is better in the bottle.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance: Pours into a snifter a dark almost reddish clear color. Not much of a head, but then I didn't pour for a big one.

Smell: Smells of pine flavor.

Taste: It tastes much like it smells. A bit of a pine flavor with a hoppy bitter aftertaste, very flavorful.

Mouthfeel: A very nice mouthfeel, the bubbles aren't to large or too frequent or the reverse.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink, I enjoy this one a lot. The alcohol content isn't too high and the beer doesn't taste like slightly flavored perrier either.

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

It was a little difficult to take it serious based on its name...I thought this would just be some second rate IPA but was quite impressed. One of your darker IPAs with more than a fare share of hops and lot more character than that of the lighter IPAs. Very solid feel in the mouth, it surrounds the tongue and attacks from all directions.

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance: Slightly hazy but beautiful copper/amber color. The head was an off white color and not very thick, fizzled away into a ring that left very little lacing.

Smell: Strong hops smell, very citrusy. Smells fantastic.

Taste: Just as it smelled it has a strong hops flavor with some spice. Very well balanced.

Mouth feel: Very smooth and clear, not gritty or overly carbonated.

Drinkability: This is a terrific beer and easily sessionable. I will be adding HopDevil to my line up of favorite brews.

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Picked this up based on store posted Beer Advocate ratings.

A: This beer looked good, a little cloudy, but rich in color.

S: This beer smells like it advertises. Very strong hops.

T: This beer is all hops. Some may dig that, and I do normally, but there wasn't any balance in this beer. It was all bitter hops.

M: Hopdevil left a bitter taste in my mouth for hours after drinking it. I almost wanted to drink something else to clear.

D: I can only do one of these in a sitting. To much bitterness. A touch of sweetness to balance this would make it amazing!

4.46/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass. Small, thin, off white head that retreated quickly. Great deep copper color.

As with most IPAs, citrusy and piney notes prevail...very pleasant.

Taste was exceptional! Huge caramel malt backbone that is quickly balanced with bitterness from the hops. Long, dry finish with a pleasant bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was a little chewy. Mediocre carbonation but not bad.

I would have more than one of these in a row. Very satisfying and the somewhat high ABV is well disguised by the thick malty character and the high hop presence.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

A lot of IPA's try to distinguish themselves, Don't expect this one to stray from the good 'ole harsh bitterness and ever lasting hop aroma. Good beer for a dry mouth on either a cool night or an afternoon of football. Not as drinkable as some IPA's but the Hopdevil definitely doesn't disappoint the hop heads.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Bought a single bottle as a part of a "make your own 6-pack". Honestly its a lot different than I was expecting. Big, bold flavor with very little bitterness, pretty spicy, but not as hoppy as I was hoping for,
The 6.7% ABV is hidden well, but it just tasted to me like a "dark" beer, not so much your standard IPA.

Overall not bad, but not something I would rush out to buy again, especially not if I was in the mood for an IPA. Definitely wouldn't mind paying $3.50 for a pint though at a bar.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

I am yet to have a product from Victory that I didn't like--at least to some degree. The Hop Devil Ale is certainly no exception. Although the hops were a little subtle and less pronounced than I would have liked; I would definitely recommend this beer to friends. It is also attractively priced.

It had an excellent pour and very good head retention. The mouth feel and drinkability were also right on par. The alcohol level and purchase price make this a beer that can be enjoyed regularly and in large quantities.

The hop rate however is where this brew stumbles a bit. With a name like Hop Devil, I expected it to be aggressively hopped and to have a profound hop presence; this is where this beer fell a little short.

All things considered, this is a fine beer, and I would without doubt recommend this to fellow enthusiasts.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

This was the beer that turned me on to American craft beer. When I had it on tap at Tyler's Taproom in Durham, NC the other night I realized it was finally time to review it.

Served in a pint glass through which I could see the clarity and copper color of this beer.

The aroma is all hops - citrus & maybe a little piney - but it's not overwhelming. In my opinion, it's enticing.

From the first sip to the last, it's all citrus & pine hops with just a hint of malty sweetness. This is the beer that introduced me to hops and when I first had it years ago, I thought there was no way anyone could get more hops in a beer. Now I realize how there's actually some balance in there. Each sip left a slight hop bitterness that lasted until the next one.

I still like this beer as much as I did the first time I had it - maybe more. Victory, in typical fashion, did a great job with this one.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Served cold and poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: 3/4 a finger of head, I must admit it was a weak pour so I fault myself for that. Receded quickly but left some nice lacing down the glass. A darker amber color, one of the darkest IPAs I've seen.

Smell: Hops in the forefront, nothing too special. I smell some strong and sweet caramel malt, more than I like in my IPAs.

Taste: Again, nothing too special. This is tasty beer but nothing stands out to me, some light citrus hop flavors up front. The caramel malt is too strong for my liking here, a little sweet on the aftertaste.

Overall: A solid IPA but frankly, I expected more. I understand this is a matter of personal preference, but I just don't like such a strong malt presence in IPAs. I also have some Hop Wallop I'm waiting to try, I hope the malt there is more toned down than this.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Ah.. the appearence. This brew is a amber color with a nice white head the laces on the side of the glass. The appearence jumps out and says drink me. The aroma of hops explodes out of this bottled beer. It smells like American hop varieties (which I believe are the best) and has much greater aroma than the average IPA. The aroma adds to the taste which packs alot of flavoring hops into this beer. The bittering hops are balanced nicely with the malt and it makes the brew a very drinkable ale.

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Appearance- poured a nice Amber color but without much head and what was there was gone quickly--there was a slight cloudiness to it though.

Smell-had a very pleasant hoppy aroma with a slight hint of Alcohol. Indiviual aromas were hard to pick out of the complexity of the overall aroma.

Taste-I'm not a hop head but the good malt backbone really helped tame the overall hoppiness. The hops produced a slight grapefruit puckering effect.

Mouthfeel-Had a pleasing light to medium body that was good on the touge. The hop bite was very evident with a small alcohol pepperness to it.

Drinkability-I would definately buy again, however because of the hoppiness I would limit it to 1 to 2 a nite, but I'm not a hop head, yet.

3.82/5  rDev -5.9%

This was a beer that I've heard alot about and my expectations were satisfied by the Devil. The smell is complex with lots of fruit going on. Very nice. The taste is strong and, like the smell, complex as hell. Its almost overpowering there is so much going on. Its tasty, but almost spicy. Very interesting. It feels nice in the mouth, almost think and dances on the tounge. The drinkablity of this beer is suspect. For me it bites a little too much to be an everyday beer. One, maybe two and move on to something cheaper. Bottom line- Tasty and spicy. Very interesting beer.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Right off the bat, this beer, my first taste from Victory, completely took me by surprise. I expected another, basic, drinkable-but nothing special IPA that I could start my night with. Instead I found one of the better beers I have had at home in a while. I had been working at home all day and finally got to sit down to watch the second Final Four game in my chair and this stepped up to meet me.

Poured into a basic pint glass (actually an Oscar Blue's Gordon glass...) pours a nice, warm, rich, curious amber in color. This beer looked immediately delicious. It was virtually headless, just some slight lacing. Its head dissipated almost completely about 1/4 into this beer.

HopDevil's smell is enticing, and again surprisingly sweet.

This beer's taste is what caught me completely off guard. It was sweet, rich and buttery at the top. This beer hit my mouth and immediately made me sit up and give it the attention it deserves. The ending hopfeel was amazing. I am hop crazy right now (have been since last summer) and I found this to be one of the most balanced hop beers I have had in a while.

This IPA did not murder your mouth like some hop-fabulous beers do. While I appreciate those that do, but for this evening, this beer was the perfect beginning to my session. started me off strong, got my mouth ready for beer for the rest of the evening.

This is a very very drinkable IPA. I threw this into a mixed6 I got from Lucas. I regret that. I would have sat all night and enjoyed this beer that surprised me with its personality, balance and drinkability. This will definitely become one of my staples for session-type IPAs.

Completely recommend this beer. I will be chasing down a sixpack of this very soon.

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottle I picked up at TotalWine in Annandale poured into a heavy 14oz mug. This is the second or third time I've had the Hop Devil.

Hop Devil poured a beautifully consistent amber. A very thin head dissipated quickly, but that could be as much the fault of my dishsoap as poor retention.

The pine and cream aromas hit first, and with some searching, the pale malts filled out the tail. Good, indicative aromas for a balanced IPA.

The taste was clearly pine and citrus, mostly lemon, but next up I was stung with the sharp taste of copper. Not awesome, but it did fade after the first sip.
To fast forward, that's probably the only negative on this one. Otherwise, well balanced for an IPA named Hop Devil. Again, for the style, there was plenty of light caramel and cream in the backseat to add to the depth and balance of the Hop Devil - the biggest little beer in America, err something.

It's embarrassing, but in my notes I actually wrote "superb" when I turned my attention to the texture and mouthfeel. But yeah, it was. Understandably thick for the ABV and depth typical of the heavier IPAs. Carbonation was complementary, just enough to cut the texture and tickle the tongue.

Anyone like me that holds a special place in their heart / brain / stomach for DIPAs will probably find the Hop Devil quite drinkable and come back for more. And if you like IPAs, but are more moderate (balance is paramount) Hop Devil could be a weekend fling. And if you don't like heavy hops, well, it's called Hop Devil. Yeah.

Despite the fact that it made me use words like superb, tickle, and special place, I really like the Hop Devil. The copper tinge wasn't enough of a problem to ruin the taste, and that's not something I've noticed when I had had it before. A very good heavy IPA.

I need to sit down and pit the devil against Troegs HopBack. A Susquehannan backyard brawl of sorts. The HopBack is dubbed an amber ale, but whatever, these two beers have a lot more in common than geography.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Bought a sixer of this at the new specs in Galveston (thank god) poured into a pint glass.

I am a huge hophead so I was excited to try a new IPA from PA.

A: this beer pours a golden amber color with an inch of creamy white head that is long lasting and clings to the side of the glass. Lacing continued tip the end.

S: I immediately notice the spiciness. This is followed by a strong hoppy smell and just a hint of citrus fruits.

M: Lightly carbonated, very smooth yet light with a lot of complexity.

T: First thing you notice is the spiciness. It then gives way to the extreme hoppiness one would expect from a great IPA.

D: Unfortunately, I feel that this is a beer that you could order all night long. The question is would you want to do that to your liver. At 6.7% ABV, typical of a high end IPA, you could have more than your share before you know it. The alcohol sneaks up on you.

Overall, a great example of an excellent IPA and at $7-$8 a sixer much cheaper than some of it's fellow east coast brethen (60 minute IPA comes to mind). Will definitely purchase again.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Against my better judgment but at the recommendation of some respected BAs, here's my first review.

12 oz bottle poured into my New Belgium balloon. "Enjoy by Sept 14, 2011" so I'm on time. I'm greeted by about a finger of cream colored head. Looks thick and dense, but doesn't last long. Nothing exceptional in the lacing dept. Laser etched bicycle at the bottle of the glass is trickling bubbles through the gorgeous amber/orange maintaining a thin layer of head throughout the full tasting.

The aroma is more pine than citrus to me. A bit of the sweet malt comes through as well. For lack of a better term, it smells balanced.

The taste is hop forward without being overpowering. I get the citrus being mentioned in other reviews. Sweet malt comes through after the initial prickle of the hops wears off. The aftertaste is bitter, begging for another taste. The mouthfeel is what impresses me the most. It's creamy. Thick, but juicy. Love it, but playing devil's advocate it may not suit every situation.

This is a great balanced IPA that I don't feel like I have to concentrate on to enjoy. No feature overpowers the other leaving a very easy to drink beer that doesn't leave you wanting. A beautifully crafted favorite.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

A - Pours a deep ruby color, or possibly a rich rich amber. No visible carbonation, but there is good head retention; approximately 2 fingers of off-white (slightly tan) head. True to the name, the hop resins create a nice thick sticky lacing around the glass.

S - This beer smells pretty darn good - spicy, piney hops and some caramel malts come through. The malts give it a nice sweetness that is definitely not present in all IPAs. The smell is somewhat understated for an IPA, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

T - The hops definitely come through in a few ways in this beer. There is a certain earthy, piney and spicy (almost peppery) taste to the hops, which really comes through well and adds a degree of complexity not there in some of the purely hit-you-over-the-head-with-bitterness hoppy IPAs. There is a solid caramel malt backbone, which holds everything together nicely and offsets some of the hop bitterness nicely. Having said that, there is a lingering bitterness that bites for just a BIT too long for me. Other tastes are slightly bready and citrusy, but nothing I can outright identify. This beer also doesn't hide it's ABV very well; I would've guessed it to be a higher ABV if I was judging on taste alone.

M - This beer is thick, almost creamy for an IPA. The name again is alluded to with the mouthfeel, as the resins coat your mouth and keeps a layer on your tongue throughout the experience. This beer has an almost oily quality to it, which suggests a long boil with the hops.

O - Definitely give this beer a shot if you love hops, it will give you a pretty unique experience with some of the spiciness that it brings to the palate. I would buy this every now and then and break them out to two beers per time that I drank; this is definitely not meant to be put back all night (especially at 6.7% ABV).

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown