1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to add-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Moonglow Weizenbock | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

None provided.

Ratings: 1,476 |  Reviews: 748
Reviews by freed:
4.26/5  rDev +5.2%

More thanks to WeeFishHeads for this one...

This beer was quite beautiful sitting in my glass. Its body was a lovely sunset gradient of yellow to orange, slight haze clouding it. A tiny meniscus of pinpoint sized bubbles on top.

Smells of wheat and cidery yeasts are dominant with a slight tang of ground mustard. Thinking my nose was deceived, I tasted the beer. It was predominantly sweet malts and dry wheat with a bready yeast flavor and still a taste of mustard. This observation was mocked, but it really was a pleasant taste. It certainly gave me an idea.

This was probably the most pleasant and interesting wheat beer I've had in a long time. Aside from being gorgeous, it had a unique flavor that I'll certainly remember.

3.56/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: [4.00] Beer is a dark bronze to brown sugar color. It has a full finger of off white of head with medium bubbles. The bottle lists the ABV (8.7%) and there is a best by date of (08/13/2016)

S: [3.50] Peat, earthy notes, root vegetable scents.

T: [3.50] Burnt caramel, apple notes, oak, tannins.

M: [3.75] This has above medium body almost a little syrupy at times. The carbonation is pronounced and snappy. No lingering feel.

O: [3.50] This beer is hard to pin down. The flavor is pretty unique and I had a hard time with descriptors to cover it. It comes across a little like a Wee Heavy. Simlar feel and some similar flavors. For 8.7% there is NO hint of alcohol in the beer. It is easy to drink. I am indifferent on this beer. I would not seek it out but I would drink it again if offered.

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Victory Brewing Company's Moonglow Weizenbock a couple weeks ago for $2.59 at Holiday Market. I've been wanting to try this beer for a while now since I'm a big fan of the style, but it wasn't till I stopped into Holiday Market that I finally found a bottle of it and I'm very interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage, enjoy by august 19th 2015. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label look ok, the design goes well with the name, but I don't think it's the most eye catching. It poured a nice caramel amber color that took on more of a ruby red color when held to the light with almost four fingers worth of very creamy tan head that died down a thin layer that stayed till the end it left some nice patchy rings of lacing behind. This was a very good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a with a very high amount of medium sweetness with a nice fruit aroma being the first to show up and it's a nice and even mixture of green apple and banana like aromas with no single aspect sticking out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart a wheat, bready, bread crust, sweet malt and lightly toasted aroma with a light nutty aroma showing up in the end along with some spices with cloves sticking out the most. This beer had a very nice aroma and it's just what I would expect from the style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up this time and they impart the same malty aspects that they did in the aroma with no single aspect sticking out the most. Up next comes a light alcohol flavor that leads right into the fruits which impart the same banana and green apple aspects that they did in the aroma with the green apple seeming to stick out just a little more than the banana this time. Towards the end comes some spices and nutty flavors with a lighter amount of bitterness and some spices, green apple and wheat showing up in the aftertaste. This was a very nice tasting beer that's just what I expect from the style.

M- Smooth, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was right on the border of being highly carbonated. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was a little creamy instead of being pretty crisp and slightly prickly.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and I thought it was a very nice example of the style, it had all the key aspects that I look for in the style with the carbonation being the only aspect that felt a little out of place. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, just a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think two would be my limit, anymore than that and i think the prickly carbonation would start to wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was the taste, aroma and appearance, they were all very nice and they worked really well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad, but I felt like the carbonation was a little too lively for the style. I would buy this beer again if I see it and I will for sure get some next year if shows up in my area. I would recommend this to anyone who is a fan of the style, it does a good job at showing what the style all about and it's good example of a American made Weizenbock. All in all I was very happy with this beer, it did a good job at satisfying my urge for a good Weizenbock. It isn't my favorite of the style, but it is one of the better Victory beers I've had. Great job guys, this was one tasty Weizenbock, keep up the good work guys.

4.28/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours hazy light amber, thin head forms and recedes.

Nose is big on banana and spice but not much else.

Flavor is more complex than anticipate - really bright flavors of banana, clove, allspice with a bit of funk. Really nice and a great balance - the higher ABV really helps bring it all together with a bit of warmth and a nice sweet aspect.

Feel is right on, it's very much a nicely carbonated, light, clean finish. Would definitely have again, one of the best things I can remember having from Victory.

4.43/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Look: It is amber that is slightly on the dark side. It has a moussy, tan head. It is hazy and cloudy.

Look: It has aromas of bread, plums, and a bit of vanilla. It also has an alcohol aroma. As it warms, the aroma of banana and raisins become evident.

Taste; It has rich, bread malt flavors with a spicy, clove element. There is moderate wheat flavors and banana. There is a faint tart bite with a sherry like quality that adds to the overall complexity of the beer.

Feel: It has a medium full body. There is a pleasant warming sensation. It also is highly carbonated.

Overall: This is a wheat and malt rich beer with a spicy, but slightly tart kick to it. It has strong alcohol warming with a sherry like quality that is enhanced by the flavors of plums, raisins and bananas.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured a dark copper brown with an offwhite/ light chocolate head. Head pours 1/4 of an inch thick and the yeasties can definetly be seen throughout the beer.

Smell: Notes of grapes, wheat, and some other dark fruits. Some tones of alcohol present.

Tastes: hits up front with a nice smooth wheat flavor, following some grape notes and actually gets a bit sour towards the end. A hint of alcohol hits towards the end of this beer along with some nice spices.

Mouthfeel: This beer is medium bodied with a well balance of flavors. Feels good in the mouth overall

Drinkability: Very drinkable for a weizenbock. Alcohol is very subdued and good overall mixing of malts, spices, and hops.

4.07/5  rDev +0.5%

Grabbed this the other day at State Line. Bottled Sept 09, this is pretty fresh.

In my Aventinus glass, this is a pretty beautiful beer. Crimson with fiery orange highlights. There's a dense off-white head that falls off to a disk rather quick. An attractive beer.

Quite excellent, the nose is dominated by banana and clove, along with some brown sugar and caramel. Quite bread-like, this is rather excellent. Pleasantly phenolic too. The combination of fruit and spice is enjoyable.

The flavors on the palate replicate the nose, opening spicy clove and banana opening things up, before the mellow sweetness kicks in, with sugar, caramel and a little burnt sugar as well. Quite fruity, I get a faint bit of mango-like character too. Bready mid-palate before a pleasantly phenolic finish with some spice (clove). Medium in body with a touch higher carbonation that it needs (but it dies off fairly quick) , the finish makes for an enjoyable beer. Another mildly disappointing aspect about the mouthfeel is that despite its heft, it doesn't really leave a lasting impression on the palate. I'm glad I revisited this, and finally got around to reviewing it.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

4.24/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance: Pours a murky amber color with a fluffy beige head; shards of lacing stick to the glass

Smell: Bananas, raisins, vanilla, pears and a touch of clove

Taste: Sweet toffee malt with banana and vanilla flavors up front; mid-palate, some of the spicy clove, coriander and yeast flavors start to kick in, the finish is sweet and spicy with a bit of alcoholic warmth

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, almost milky, with lots of carbonation

Drinkability: I am stunned by how tasty this is; hope Victory will bring it to NC next year

Thanks, BeerBeing

3.67/5  rDev -9.4%

Strong, strange perfumey smell and flavor is the first encounter. Big German esters and a Hefeweizen taste topped off by a dollop of hops. Quite spicy, but also grainy and cereal tastes. Some of the bitterness tastes like it's from some process other than hops.

No date on this bottle. Yeasty chunks in the bottom of the glass. I wonder if it's been around a while. I'm sure I've liked this better a year or two ago.

3.01/5  rDev -25.7%

A - Orange-ish hue, somewhat cloudy, lots of "floaters" in this one.
S - Carmel aromas, nothing that jumped out at me
T - Carmel taste upfront, alcohol aftertaste/backend
M - Medium body, light carbonation
O - At first I wasn't a fan of this specific beer, but each time I have one, it continues to grow on me. First time with this type of beer and I'll definitely try this beer or a similar kind again...

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.15/5  rDev -22.2%

I think this is my first weizen bock. It pours a light brown color, maybe a dark tea color. The nose is odd. There seems to be hints of orange peel and some spicey yeast tones. There is a lot of metallic flavor in there. I don't like it a lot. The orange flavors are also in there. I don't know about this one. The feel is somewhat thin and drinkability is not all that good. I don't think that victory is doing a good job with this one.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

A - virtually no head atop a deep copper body with a slight haze.

S - moderate malt nose and a lightly toasted bread hint. Hops were there in a simple floral basis. The yeasty notes on this one are basic, but definately presnt. Quite on style for all these scents. Considerably noticeable hints of nutmeg, and a bit of ginger.

T - initial tasting is mildly sweet and malty, with all the aromas mentioned above, poking through.

M - quite an oily texture in the light to medium body, an intersting feeling and accomplishment, IMO.

D - oh sure, yes it's nice. It will sneak up on you, about 8+%

3.77/5  rDev -6.9%

A - medium-amber in color with a slight hazyness to it. The head is toffee colored and leaves some minimal lacing.

S - caramel malt aroma with bready notes and a spicy yeastyness.

T - has a wheaty/bready flavor with a spicyness.

M - medium bodied, has a ton of carbonation.

O - overall a pretty good weizenbock. Although I don't think this years is as good as last years.

3.97/5  rDev -2%

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

the beer poured a magnificent deep amber tinged with orange. Medium density 3 inch head didn't stick around a long time, but it a moderate amount of lacing to mark its passing. Alas poor beer head, we hardly knew ye.

Smell was a gorgous combination of ripe banana and sweet malt.

Taste was excellent. Sweet, creamy and smooth. rich with out being cloying. Didn't event realize it was 8.7% abv until finished.

Excelent and very drinkable. I wish I had more than the one or at least access to more.

pours a hazy amber with a medium head. nose; big notes of toasted bread rind, caramel & dark fruit juice. taste; toasted malt, brown sugar, sweet apple, hops, light fig, light banana, with clove & nutty notes on the end. lightly spicy (cinnamon) and oaky aftertaste. medium carbonation & mouthfeel. not my favorite style, but i can see this making a great fall drink.

2.19/5  rDev -45.9%

a- bottle poured into a pint, two finger eggshell colored head with great retention that turns rocky, amber reddish coloring, hazy, minimal carbonation.

s- wheat, raisin, never smelled a beer like this before.

t- this is my first weizenbock so i wasn't sure what to expect, lots of wheat, spicy, dark dry fruit, raisin, sweetness, it was a bit overwhelming, i can't say that i liked it, but i didn't even realize that it had an abv of 8.7 until later, i couldn't tell that at all.

m- not overly heavy in the mouth.

d- not great in my opinion, this is my first weizenbock and i think it's full robust flavor needs to be acquired, in all honesty i couldn't finish this bad boy, the moonglow won this round.

Moonglow Weizenbock from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown