Moonglow Weizenbock | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Availability: Fall

Added by taez555 on 12-01-2001

Reviews: 738 | Ratings: 1,436
2.9/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Left a two finger head that receded to lingering surface skim, and not much lacing, and tiny bubbles throughout (when they could be seen through the cloudy body). Color was a cloudy orange tinted brown amber.

Smell - fruity esters like apples and dried dark fruits like dates. Stong phenols also present, and some diacetyl as well. Strong spicy alcohol ( maybe actually yeast ) also.

Taste - Diacetyl. Apple juice. Dates, dried plums. Some dark bread. Slight phenol. Some alcohol warmth. Slight spice.

Mouthfeel - thin, with moderate to light carbonation.

Drinkability - goes down fairly easy, don't like the diacetyl thing is the problem here.

2.93/5  rDev -27.7%

Murky burnt orange with a beautiful beige, creamy head. The head lasts very well.

The aroma is mostly pretty classic hefeweizen - banana/bubblegum with a hint of cloves. Quite a bit of alcohol on the aroma as well. Overall it could stand to be a bit more potent and have a bit less alcohol.

The flavor is a major letdown. Lots of bitterness. Lots and lots of straight alcohol. Not much at all of the hefeweizen flavors I expected let alone the more intense versions that I hope for from a weizenbock.

The mouthfeel is good - a little thicker than a hefeweizen and with plenty of carbonation. The carbonation does a decent job of cutting through the bitterness but doesn't do anything for very excessive alcohol flavor.

Overall a major disappointment. The overwrought bitterness and alcohol just swamp anything I might enjoy about the flavor.

2.97/5  rDev -26.7%

reviewed from notes

Appearance: Pours red/orange with a cream white head that dissapates a little too soon.

Smell: It has a sweet aroma, which is it's best quality. I can pick out molasses, a fruity hops and at 8-9% no wonder I get a whiff of alcohol too, but it doesn't take away so much.

Taste: A slight hint of alcohol is recognizible first followed by the molasses and malts with a fruity plum essence.

Mouthfeel: It's too light bodied with such a malt presence, I find it kinda weird.

Drinkability: The alcohol takes away from the sweet nectar of plums and molasses which would make this more drinkable than average. I was expecting more.

3.01/5  rDev -25.7%

A - Orange-ish hue, somewhat cloudy, lots of "floaters" in this one.
S - Carmel aromas, nothing that jumped out at me
T - Carmel taste upfront, alcohol aftertaste/backend
M - Medium body, light carbonation
O - At first I wasn't a fan of this specific beer, but each time I have one, it continues to grow on me. First time with this type of beer and I'll definitely try this beer or a similar kind again...

3.01/5  rDev -25.7%

First off, did anyone else see the little ghosts on the bottle, or was it just me? Anyways, I must say, this is one beer with mixed reviews from me. The appearance was stellar. It was a murky amber color with a beautiful head. The head was super thick and very frothy, which lasted quite a while. The smell was a mixture of many things. It was very strong in the area of fruits, like citrus, plums, and grapes. It was also had a subtle pumpkin pie smell to it. This also came out in the taste, which had both clashing together. I thought it was waaay to sweet and was more like fruit salad, than beer. I am definately going to stay clear of this one. I usually am a huge fan of what Victory puts out, but this one was stretchin' it for me.

3.02/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours a hazy brown-amber, with a four finger dark tan head, well carbonated with constant streams of bubbles rising through the glass. Did not lace at all.
Great aroma, sweet malt, banana, spice, wheat note.
Sweet, very sweet taste, very fruity, apricot, orange, apple juice, a cherry note.
Medium feel, too cloyingly sweet for me

3.08/5  rDev -24%

This one pours a light brown color with a small head that doesn't stick around long and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma has a lot of citrus in it but nothing from the weizen part of it. No spicy yeast or banana or clove. The flavor has a lot of citrus and a decent malt, but seems very thin and metallic. Unimpressive.

3.09/5  rDev -23.7%

Moonglow is (was?) my first Victory beer. What an introduction!
I tried this last night during a Beer tasting held in the Rock Bottom, Long Beach.

Pours a deeply turbid, murky, orangey color, which troubled me a bit at first. Head never appeared, was present or even attempted to develop, a disappointment that with the hazy look made it resemble part unfermented home brew.
Nose, well without a head to hold it in place the aromas leap of the glass, up your nose and instantly reminded me of the smell of Banana flavoured milk I drank in the UK when I was a child. Some Cloves and a little fruitiness are there as well, but the bananas are over powering and dominate the beers smell.
Taste, again Bananas, but I also got Vanilla, Spices (incl. Cloves) and some Lemons. Minimal carbonation and a medium mouthfeel give this beer a somewhat light lacking feel. Hell, I only realised this beer was 8.7% when the Brewer at the Rock Bottom pointed it out – until then, at a guess, I would say it was only 5.5-6.5% tops. The tastes are quite complex, but I found the beer a bit “sickly” to be honest. Finish is sweet at first but draws to a dry conclusion.
A strange beer that perhaps I do not understand fully.
I shall return another day, Victory Weizenbock, when maybe I do!

3.11/5  rDev -23.2%

Package: 12oz. crowned, brown bottle. Nicest of Victory’s 12oz. labels depicts a New England farmhouse in a dell, framed by a blazing sunset. Ghostly skulls float above. Notations include: “Best before Sep 11 04,” “unfiltered,” “8.7% ABV,” and “bottle conditioned ale.”

Cost: Various singles and sixpacks from Bottle King and Finger Lakes Beverage

Presentation: 16oz. Shaker pint at ~50º

Appearance: Lighter than most of its peers from Aventinus, Ramstein, and Erdinger. Pours a turbid reddish orange and generates a substantial, fine-gauged head, that’s a bit darker than off-white. It resolves down pretty quickly, but leaves a nice sticky sheath on the walls of the glass. The body has a remarkable glow to it, really setting it apart from most beers I’ve seen and evoking a real sunset. Tiny particles can be seen bombarded around the hazy liquid by the rills of tiny bubbles. Another Victory beer that stimulates close inspection.

Smell: Promises a nice drinking experience. Strong clove and banana notes suffuse the bouquet. However, there are also some discordantly sharp, phenolic and alcoholic volatiles in the nose.

Taste: Now I can see where the discordant aromas come from. This is surprisingly harsh on the palate. There’s a lot of tart, citric, notes to this that clash with the sensations of over-ripe banana and pineapple. Sort of a sweet-and-sour experience. I could easily detect the alcohol in this as well (something it has in common with the V-series beers). Finishes shortly with a bit of a sour note.

Mouthfeel: Despite the apparently fine carbonation, this seemed a bit thin and rough on the palate. Some swirling tamed this a bit, but there were definitely some rough edges that are only made more apparent by the slightly sour tang.

Drinkability: I have to score this fairly low, because of the prominent alcohol notes, thinnish body, and overall discordant flavor profile.

Backwash: I’ve waited quite a long time to review this beer, because I thought my original samples were spoiled. Oddly, the first place I found these was from Finger Lakes Beverage. Subsequent purchases from Bottle King proved no better however. Now I am pretty confident in writing that there’s something inherent in this beer that I don’t like. First, it doesn’t really taste much like the other bocks I’m familiar with. It’s lighter in color and body, and more tart. There is a definite fruitiness, but it’s compromised by that sour backnote that ruins the experience for me. I will likely not buy this again, unless I see it on draught.

3.15/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a foamy tan head of about an inch that settles quickly to almost nothing..a cloudy/murky gold in color...the nose has a sour apple nose and a faint wheat aroma...the taste is thirstquenching but it is a very sour apple flavor with little else emerging...It has an OK malt backbone, but I expected more of a spiciness and bananna flavor as well....very good but well below Aventius in my opinion....

Bottled Aug 25, 2005.

This smells like cloves and sweet bananas, tastes like spice bread. Really pretty beer, the lack of filtration gives a nice orange clody hue.

Tastes great, although heavier than I was expecting, a fine bock.

Wow, I can feel the heat in my stomach from the ABV on this one.

3.15/5  rDev -22.2%

I think this is my first weizen bock. It pours a light brown color, maybe a dark tea color. The nose is odd. There seems to be hints of orange peel and some spicey yeast tones. There is a lot of metallic flavor in there. I don't like it a lot. The orange flavors are also in there. I don't know about this one. The feel is somewhat thin and drinkability is not all that good. I don't think that victory is doing a good job with this one.

3.17/5  rDev -21.7%

12 oz bottle with "Enjoy by Sept. 12 07" printed on label.

Pours a cloudy orange/red with a thick tan head about 2 fingers high.

Aroma of bananas, wheat malt, dark fruit esters.

Flavors of tart wheat, banana, yeast, green apple and fig. No hop presence to speak of. Some alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied. Medium carbonation. Lingering malt on the tongue.

Ranks 1 beer on the drinkability index. Ok once in a while, not something I'll actively seek out again.

3.19/5  rDev -21.2%

I first had this one 10 years ago or so. I remember thinking it was one of the better weizenbocks I had tried back then, but to be fair there weren't a whole lot available. Even today, there still aren't a whole lot, but there are definitely more to choose from now including some newer variations like pale, eisbock, and hoppy versions. For what it's worth, my favorite was and still is Aventinus.

Moonglow pours a nice amber-ish-cloudy with a lasting head. The aroma is spicy with a bit of clove and fruit. The flavor is sweet and spicy upfront with some banana/spice and then slowly fades into a long lasting similar finish. The body is a bit thin. It's interesting to finally go back and taste this brew after many years. On that note (and after having quite a few other quality weizenbocks over the years), I don't think this brew is as good as I previously thought. It's not bad for an American attempt, but there's a moderate grape soda flavor mixed in with a hint of plastic/Band-aid which I don't care for in the style. I seem to be rating this one lower than most other people. If you like weizenbocks, then don't worry about what I think. Go ahead and try this one for yourself.

3.2/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - It pours a deep and hazy hue of orange-copper, perhaps even burnt umber, capped with a taupe head of micro-froth. The large swaths of lace left behind seem to be the most prominent feature.

S - There is, of course, a healthy dose of banana in the nose as well as a general estery fruitiness that encompasses also pear, apple and guava. The malt has an interesting caramel nuance to it; interesting, not necessarily appreciated. It is nice aromatically, but not jaw-dropping.

T - The taste is similar to that which is offered by the nose, but is really less dynamic. The wheat is not very apparent, especially given the style. I would like it if the fruitiness was more in the banana range, and less in the tropical-tart territory. And there is an accompanying roasted-smoked character that is thankfully very far down at the bottom of the mix flavor-wise, but like the proverbial pea under the mattress, its presence is still disquieting.

M - This is where it really falls short. Considering the style, flavor, intensity, and gravity intended for a beer such as this, the feel is unacceptably wimpy. Or shall I say flaccid? Perhaps impotent would be the right vernacular...

D - It is okay, pretty good even, but the flaws displayed are substantial impediments to its enjoyability.

3.2/5  rDev -21%

Sampled: 11.10.05

Appearance is like looking at a glass of cider under a thick brown-white head. Moderate lacing.

The aroma is immediately of fresh apples. Dark wheat hints along with some banana lurk behind that sweetness. Heavy scent of candy (carnival candied apples??) hangs out through out the drinking experience.

The flavor has an initial Belgian feel to it, but it dissipates quickly into more sweet candy apples. Some grain flavors hangout. The beer also has a tanginess that reminds of cider. This was the first disappointing beer from Victory I’ve had, but it’s also the first Weizenbock I’ve had. So, I may not be seeking the ‘correct’ qualities just yet. But one thing for sure is that these bottles were juicy. Like apple juice mostly. Not very “beer” like, if I’m making any sense. The mouth was low carbed and light, like, well…juice.

It was easy to drink, but I’ve only had one per sitting over the last week. As mentioned, my first Weizenbock, so tough to compare to it stylistically, but it went down considering the 8%+ abv billing.

Notes: Not my favorite by any means, but it wasn’t bad enough to turn me off the beer or the style. I’ll give another batch a shot and I’m laying one down to see if the dark malts can gain any footing in this sweet juicy beer and maybe sour the fruit enough for some interesting flavoring. I’ll report back.

3.27/5  rDev -19.3%

This beer pours a brown body with low apparent carbonation and a very quickly diminishing off-white head. Aroma is of banana, brown sugar and citric notes (grapefruity). Not too complex and no Aventinus. Taste has a light sourness from the wheat and more banana/brown sugar flavours. Body is thin-medium. I don't think this was infected, but still it had a sourness that seems out of order in this style. Luckily I've got another bottle and a re-rate is in order.

3.27/5  rDev -19.3%

pours a light cooper color with small head and collar..smell is malts and caramel some floral citrus and an earthy smell..taste follows the nose its musty and doughy with spices and malts..mouth feel has low carbonation with a full flavor profile of malts and toffee and spices ,,its drinkable but not my favorite in the style

3.28/5  rDev -19%

Bottle poured into pint.

A: Very cloudy amber color with thin, white colored head.

S: Very contrasting and interesting. Some sweetness smells along with banana.

T: Complex taste. The taste hit immediately and is powerful. Maybe too powerful for my tastes. Like the smell, you get a little sweet with the bitter. At the end you get a distinct taste of alcohol.

M: Leaves a little sting in the mouth. The feel remains mixed like the smell and taste. On the high end of carbonation.

O: I think a fan of this style of beer would appreciate it much more than I did. It was an interesting experience, that I would try again, but couldn't do it too often. My scores are higher than my personal opinion, but factor in the beer style.

3.28/5  rDev -19%

I am going to admitt this off the bat - it had gone spoiled. However, I am not letting that affect my ratings in the sense you might think. I think the tartness that was produced by "aging" ,if you will, had an interesting effect. The color was a cloudy, ruddy, orange. a good amount of head also seems to comes w/ each bottle. It was almost like mixing a sweet-tart and wheat beer, and I did enjoy the results.The thing is, in alot of way, it was like a cider, but a sour apple cider, quite interesting.Also by this time you could taste a hint of the ABV. I do wish to sample this fresh, but you know what, spoiled is an interesting and enjoyable alternative

3.3/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was up int the air about this wiezenbock. I love Aventinis and this was very different. I ad many good tastes like Banana and sweet plum, and was a litle spicy. BUT I really was not fond of the sour side to this beer, some have described it as sour apple and tart. I agree with both and couldn't find a place for that much tart in this beer. It reminded me of a sour ale I drank at Monk's in Philly, that was sour but was supposed to be.

3.3/5  rDev -18.5%

Because Aventinues Weizen Bock is one of my favorite beers, I was very excited when I found this on my recent beer trip to Illinois. Not many breweries brew this style, so it was even more exciting to note that it this is brewed by one of my favorite American breweries: Victory. That being said, I am not so excited about the beer itself.

The beer looks great in the weizen glass. Has a nice rusty brown color, only moderately hazy with a nice solid head that I would expect from any self respecting wheat beer. Lacing is also nice.

The smell is a bit soapy (not from the glass, because I rinsed that sum'bitch good), and the spices and esters seem to be trapped beneath. Very soft and gently roasty malted wheat comes out, as well as banana esters, clove, and other spicing. Good, but has possibility for improvement without the soapiness.

The taste is where this beer begins its descent into blah. The complexity of the nose is lost on the tongue, this time buried under an intensely prickly carbonation combined with a huge peppery spice profile. Still has a bit of the very soft roasty caramel flavor, but not enough to get past the pins & needles in my tongue with any sort of complexity.

If I ever see a fresher sample of this beer, I will definitely try it, but otherwise I probably will not drink this beer again.

3.32/5  rDev -18%

poured a deep orange-amber color with nice white head. Smell s banana, spice and vanilla mixed. Tasste is spice and bit too alcoholic for my taste.Finish is good and spice, but the alcohol predominates. A good beer, but a little too stong tasting for me.

3.33/5  rDev -17.8%

Revisited again today, and wasn't as impressed with appearance and nose, although the other areas notched up a bit. All in all, same overall rating more or less, so I won't change the numbers. Guess I'm just not the biggest fan here, or just end up not so lucky with this one...

Newer review:
12oz bottle from, well, somewhere... Best by 3/1/05, oops.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" light tan head above the cloudy darkish amber brew. Foamy head lasts well, and exhibits nice foamy lacing. Aroma is husky malts, with fruits, spicing and alcohol all having their say. Taste is similar to my previous, older sample, with sour upfront, grains in the middle, fades to a chalky alcohol finish. Better here, but not much. Mouthfeel and drinkability are also better than the previous bottle sampled, but still not what I'm looking for and/or expecting. Will plan on revisiting with an even fresher bottle, and see if my views are consistent.

Original review, 3.2, 1/19/05:
12oz bottle inspired by a bottle received from jcalbi as part of BIFXV. Thanks for the opportunity, even thought that exact bottle was lost in a bizarre refrigerator incident, and I had to obtain a bottle from Yankee Spirits to replace it, which it seems was past its "best by" date. Guess cellaring beers at their store isn't such a good idea. Will revisit as soon as possible and update this review as necessary.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/4" light tan head above the dark reddish amber brew. Foamy head lasts and lasts, and exhibits good lacing. Aroma is grainy malts, with fruity alcohol easily apparent. Taste is upfront with a fruity tart/sour, a light malt backbone, and then fades into an alcohol flavor, and leaves a chalky feel in the mouth. Seems like it should show more malt character to me. Mouthfeel and drinkability are quite low for me, but your milage may vary. Will plan on revisiting with a fresher bottle, and see if my views are consistent.

3.33/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle from the 2006 bottling.

Appearance is a nice dark, very cloudy ruddy brown with a substantial off-white head with many different sized bubbles.

Smell is VERY phenolic and filled with lots of alcohol. Other than that some very pronounced green grape aromas, and some things that are very much like plums soaked in brandy or port. Very hot, intensely spicy alcohol is definitely a presence in this one, but this is almost 9%.

Alcohol comes through first. Lots of spicy hot alcohol, and lots of phenols with the grape thing coming through as a really refreshing change of pace from this otherwise kind of abrasive brew. Just really, really spicy and alcoholic and hot.

Mouthfeel is good, crisp, but substantial.

This is not a very drinkable beer, only because of the intense alcohol.

Moonglow Weizenbock from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown